Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: gentoo / advancemame fresh install  (Read 29113 times)

Major Rock Hardy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2013, 06:51:45 pm
  • xybots rocks!
gentoo / advancemame fresh install
« on: August 20, 2007, 03:02:57 am »
[EDIT]
There seems to be a bit of confusion over why to go through this much trouble (mostly to compile svgalib), and I'm not surprised because I started off by saying I'm documenting a gentoo install.  So let me explain:

The 3 reasons why to go through with this process:
1. You have an arcade monitor AND want authentic arcade resolutions.
2. You are planning to have an arcade monitor AND want authentic arcade resolutions when you get it.

That's pretty much it.  If you are just going to use your PC monitor, then don't bother with all of this.  Just 'emerge advancemame' and you're good to go (assuming you've installed Gentoo or a derivative).  If you don't give a darn about tweaking video resolutions, you just want to play MAME games on linux, install SDLMAME from here:
http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=163

Also, I compiled from advancemame source (very easy by the way - not the PITA of svgalib) because then I can tweak it for input (like the roadblasters hack mentioned by u_rebelscum - link below).
[/EDIT]

Trying to document a gentoo installation so anyone who wants to may follow.  Cheers, MRH

1. read along at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml
2. install goes fairly smoothly until chapter 6, part 6.b.:
it tells you to
Code: [Select]
emerge --sync... which tells you there's an update to portage, so you do a
emerge portage... which then might tell you that some files in /etc need updating and tells you to run
emerge --help config, so you do and it tells you that command is depricated! and you should use --config instead but when you run
emerge --config it tells you something about 'package atoms'  :angry:  WTF?

WTF?  Well, type the following to find these files that need updating:
find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'
it will spit out a few files... basically portage is afraid of trampelling custom settings that you have set and these files were somehow flagged and the new ones have filenames prefixed with the ._cfg????_ prefix (where ???? is a number).  At this point in the installation you probably haven't done anything custom so you'll just write over the old with the new:

mv /etc/._cfg0000_etc-update.conf /etc/etc-update.conf
(repeat for the other files)

At this point, I re-ran
emerge --sync(but for the record, I don't think it's necessary)

I also ran
emerge -v vim... because I prefer vi to nano for editing the /etc/make.conf file!

I made my USE= line look like this (since this is going to be an arcade box, I don't need all the glitzy gnome and kde versions being downloaded when I add programs):
USE="-gnome -kde"
...next thing that might need some explaining is timezones.  Since I live in CO, I did the following:
cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Denver /etc/localtimeto find the right one (assuming you live somewhere in the Americas), do a:
ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/America... notice Indiana has its own subdirectory because of the crazy daylight savings times divisions of that state.

... a word on compiling the kernel.  Before the step where you do a
make menuconfig... do a:
emerge -v pciutils... followed by:
lspci
and make particular note of your network card and video card and turn on kernel support for those, once you run(finally):
make menuconfig
... are we having fun yet?  :applaud:

... oh and when you get to
umount /mnt/gentoo(among others) ... I kept getting a "device is busy" error when I knew there was nothing more mounted in /mnt/gentoo .  I had verified this by doing a:
mount(i.e. I had already umounted /mnt/gentoo/boot, etc.), so I went ahead and did a:
reboot
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 01:33:59 pm by Major Rock Hardy »

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
Re: gentoo / advancemame fresh install
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:46:57 am »
OK, so that seems to have worked.  I re-booted and I can log in successfully!

Now to download advancemame.  First do a:
emerge -v lynx... followed by:
lynx advancemame.sourceforge.net/download.html... browse to download the tar.gz file (version 0.106), save the file, then press q to exit lynx.  (We'll follow the build instructions at: http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/doc-build.html )
doing the following:
tar -xzvf advancemame-0.106.0.tar.gz
cd advancemame-0.106.0
sudo ./configure
sudo make install

(Now we're following http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/doc-install.html )
hmmm... just noticed this line from the install doc:
For both the Frame Buffer driver and the SVGALIB library some additional patches are available in the `contrib/' directory
(noted by me)

I'm going to try to get framebuffer working with advancemame so I am not installing SVGALIB (yet).  This may be an exercise in masochism.

So I run advcfg and get the message "No video driver is able to program your video board... Ensure to have Frame Buffer device (other than VESA) in your Linux kernel."  But a quick check of my config file says I do have it in the kernel!  So I run:
advcfg -log to get more info.  Ah:
"Error opening the frame buffer /dev/fb0. Error 13 (Permission denied)."
so I ran advcfg as root.  Most of the video modes worked!  I thought I was on to something but I couldn't get suprmrio or rthunder or stunrun to play, only mspacman.  So perhaps I will punt (again) on framebuffer :dunno

Tune in tomorrow night for SVGAlib installation

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 12:50:04 am »
OK, so I have downloaded svgalib versions 1.9.17,1.9.18, AND 1.9.19 (development version sources from www.svgalib.org) and patched them with the advancemame patches and during 'make install' they all error out.  I even tried them with no patching, still they error out!  Well, at least I can
emerge svgaliband it builds 1.9.25 successfully... now, I would like to compile them with the patches (which I think should help with low frequency clock output) but for now we'll go with it... stay tuned.

apparently ALSA sound does not work just by choosing ALSA in the kernel.  The configure script for advancemame will not build ALSA support into the binaries.  I found this:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml
... which couldn't have been easier!

Now, re-running ./configure in the advancemame installation directory yields:

Video : svgalib fb ncurses
Audio : alsa oss
Success!  Advancemame saw the alsa libraries.  Now we have to re-build with the new configuration...

ARRRGGHH!  More errors!
obj/mame/linux/blend/advance/linux/vsvgab.o: in function 'svgalib_init':
vsvgab.c:(.text + 0xb31): undefined reference to 'os_internal_svgalib_get'
... hmmm... that's nice and frustrating... now trying a:
make clean
make install

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:00:53 am »
Keep going!  Good documentation!  I went down this road once and realized I had no clue how to begin fixing 75% of anything which went wrong during install.  Three days later, I reinstalled xp and said "f that".

-csa

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 02:13:08 am »
... well the make clean followed by make install seemed to work!

and now I can play mp3s through the advs utility!

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 02:13:44 am »
Keep going!  Good documentation!  I went down this road once and realized I had no clue how to begin fixing 75% of anything which went wrong during install.  Three days later, I reinstalled xp and said "f that".

-csa

... cool, someone is reading this!  Thanks for the words of encouragement!

MRH

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2013, 05:04:54 pm
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 02:52:50 am »
i've been wanting to do this too, but my programming skills are not that good. why gentoo? will this work on other distros, like zenwalk?

btw, here a link to another guy who installed advancemame on linux:

http://www.wicksta.com/arcade/index.php

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 03:46:29 am »
why gentoo?
... I chose gentoo because its philosophy is to compile EVERYTHING from source.  The advantage there is that you have a build environment set up from the get-go. 

Also, it doesn't come loaded with any extra bloat other than the kernel and some other basics.  You even have to install vi!  The advantage there is that every possible cpu cycle will be used for emulation.

will this work on other distros, like zenwalk?
I am not familiar with zenwalk but it should work with other distros... as long as you get a development environment -recommended- here is a link for you...

http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/linux.htm

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 03:00:27 am »
OK, this is really starting to piss me off.

I went in and manually hacked the drivers/video/aty/radeon_base.c file with the stuff in the advancemame/contrib/mame/fb/linux-2.4.21-radeonfb-lowclock.diff patch file.  There were 2 diffs in there, only the first one seemed applicable (2nd one seemed redundant in my 2.6.22 kernel code).  Recompiled the kernel and rebooted with it.  Machine rebooted fine but when I ran advcfg it errored out with the same ---smurfing--- message in the advcfg.log file:

ERROR:video:fb: ioctl(FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO) failed
advance:msg: Error setting the variable video mode information.

this smells like a fb driver problem or a problem with advancmame interfacing with the fb driver.  I am now officially punting my fb work (at least with this Radeon card) and pressing on with svgalib!

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 02:37:22 am »
OK so tonight I went back and un-did the hack to the kernel's fb radeon driver in the aforementioned radeon_base.c file.  In other words, I reverted to the original code.  This is so it will get future kernel compiles back on track as if I had started from a clean gentoo-sources kernel, version 2.6.22 (Linux i686 2.6.22-gentoo-r2 to be specific as possible).

on to svgalib-1.9.19 compilation.  This keeps erroring out with a "invalid lvalue in assignment" in src/drivers/apm.c, line 151.

thanks to http://groups.google.co.ve/group/svgalib/msg/d7737019b740d690 , I tried the following approach:
it compiles if you change the last 6 assignments to

*(unsigned long *)(&(regs[APMREG_SAVE(18)])) =
   inlXR(0xf0) ;
   *(unsigned long *)(&(regs[APMREG_SAVE(22)])) =
   inlXR(0xf4) ;
   *(unsigned long *)(&(regs[APMREG_SAVE(26)])) =
   inlXR(0x140) ;
   *(unsigned short *)(&(regs[APMREG_SAVE(30)])) =
   inXR(0x144) ;
   *(unsigned long *)(&(regs[APMREG_SAVE(32)])) =
   inlXR(0x148) ;
   *(unsigned short *)(&(regs[APMREG_SAVE(36)])) =
   inXR(0x14c) ;

Well, after a 'make clean' followed by a 'make install', It errored out, in an assembler message, saying:
suffix or operands invalid for 'movzbl'... this was also addressed by the above website:
changes to demos/speedtest.c and demos/linearspeed.c and
gl/inlstring.h
-- 1st "movzbl" in __memset(): the destination register
   should be "eax" (both versions of this function)
...basically search for 'movzbl' in these 3 files and change the lines so they read:
"movzbl %%al,%%eax\n\t"(in other words you are sticking an 'e' in front of 'ax')

... now I'm getting an error in kernel/svgalib_helper/main.c:
error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
... and thanks to another good Google ( http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=506363 - apparently include/config.h is no longer used as of kernel 2.6.19), I commented out the include on the first line of main.c

... similarly I'm getting another error in the same c file:
error: linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h: No such file or directory
... and thanks to YET another good Google ( http://www.nabble.com/Linux-kernel-2.6.18-t2575425.html - apparently include/devfs_fs_kernel.h is no longer used as of kernel 2.6.17), I also commented out this include  in main.c.

... OK, still same main.c file, now the errors are:
kernel/svgalib_helper/main.c: error: expected ')' before string constant... well the lines in question are these:
MODULE_PARM(debug, "i")
MODULE_PARM(all_devices, "i")

AFAICT, this is another kernel deprecation thing and I have changed the above lines to:
module_param(debug, int, 0644)
module_param(all_devices, int, 0644)
(where '...' means there is other stuff between the two lines that I didn't touch)

:banghead: ... just when I think I'm getting somewhere... :banghead:
(although I think I'm getting close to a successful make)

... now it's giving me:
kernel/svgalib_helper/interrupt.c: error: 'PCI_VENDOR_ID_RENDITION' undeclared... I found this (http://groups.google.com/group/svgalib/browse_thread/thread/dbca938113f5c1cc) where a patch was posted to fix this (among another) problem.  My fix is based on this patch.  I added the following lines to the beginning (after the #include statements, but before other code) of interrupt.c:

#ifndef PCI_VENDOR_ID_RENDITION
#define PCI_VENDOR_ID_RENDITION               0x1163
#endif

It worked!!! :cheers:

but wait... there is a scary looking warning:
WARNING: "io_remap_page_range" [svgalib_helper.ko] undefined!... well this certainly brings back memories (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=46747.msg455507#msg455507), posted by (ahem) me, the first time I went through this masochism.  So I made the same change (macro substitution) and once again:
make clean
make install
make demoprogs
cp -f kernel/svgalib_helper/svgalib_helper.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r2/kernel/misc
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r2/kernel/misc/svgalib_helper.ko
lsmod | grep svga

WOOHOO!  IT WORKED!  :applaud:

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 02:42:06 am »
oh yes, and now I'm continuing along as it shows here:
http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/svgalib.htm

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 04:19:58 am »
oh yes, and now I'm continuing along as it shows here:
http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/svgalib.htm

... well, with some modifications due to the gentoo system.  I will try to post tomorrow evening on the correct way to install kernel modules, etc. for gentoo...

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 07:28:58 am »
you have a lot of patience... you have been installing a single OS for many days.   :cheers:

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 04:45:51 pm »
you have a lot of patience... you have been installing a single OS for many days.

Correction grasshopper: the OS installed w/o a hitch in a couple of hours the first night!  Probably faster than any windows OS... it's the nitty gritty of getting advancemame (specifically svgalib) working that has taken a while.

One objective is to document this process so whenever anyone (including me in the future) wants to try advancemame/svgalib on an up-to-date linux kernel, they can read this thread and patch their stuff accordingly so hopefully there will be less of this:
 :banghead:
... and more of this:
 :applaud:

on a side note, once I got advcfg working, I was able to output 15kHz video from my Radeon card to my spankin' new Billlabs BL27CB0P!!! (happy birthday to me)

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 10:50:31 pm »
Question 1: OK so how do we handle getting the svgalib_helper module to load
automatically (and jive with the Gentoo system)?

Step 1. Create group for arcade stuff and make your user a member
groupadd games
sudo gpasswd -a majorrockhardy games

Step 2. Edit /etc/conf.d/local.start file.  Add the following:
# load svga helper module
modprobe svgalib_helper
# create svga devices
mknod -m 660 /dev/svga c 209 0
mknod -m 660 /dev/svga1 c 209 1
mknod -m 660 /dev/svga2 c 209 2
mknod -m 660 /dev/svga3 c 209 3
mknod -m 660 /dev/svga4 c 209 4
# change group owner of svga devices
chgrp games /dev/svga
chgrp games /dev/svga1
chgrp games /dev/svga2
chgrp games /dev/svga3
chgrp games /dev/svga4
(this loads the svgalib_helper module, creates the /dev/svga* device nodes, and changes the permissions on them so your games group has read/write access to them.  I included svga1-4 because that was what they did in the contrib/mame/svgalib/svgalib-devfs.sh script in the advancemame directory.)

Step 3. Reboot your system and verify that the svgalib_helper module is loaded, and the svga devices are there, and have the correct permissions and group ownership:
majorrockhardy@linuxcocktail ~ $ lsmod | grep svga
svgalib_helper          9508  0
majorrockhardy@linuxcocktail ~ $ ll /dev/svga*
crw-rw---- 1 root games 209, 0 Aug 28 19:25 /dev/svga
crw-rw---- 1 root games 209, 1 Aug 28 19:25 /dev/svga1
crw-rw---- 1 root games 209, 2 Aug 28 19:25 /dev/svga2
crw-rw---- 1 root games 209, 3 Aug 28 19:25 /dev/svga3
crw-rw---- 1 root games 209, 4 Aug 28 19:25 /dev/svga4

Question 2. How do I get the correct permissions on the /dev/input/event* devices?

Step 1. Create /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules file.  Make it
look like the following:
# stuff for AdvanceMAME device permissions
KERNEL=="event*",       NAME="input/%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="games"
(the event stuff will come in handy later when getting access to event interface devices:
mice/joysticks/etc)

Step 2. (optional) Restart udev to see if your rules worked:
majorrockhardy@linuxcocktail ~ $ sudo killall udevd; sudo udevstart
majorrockhardy@linuxcocktail ~ $ ll /dev/input/event*
crw-rw---- 1 root games 13, 64 Aug 27 15:24 /dev/input/event0
crw-rw---- 1 root games 13, 65 Aug 27 15:24 /dev/input/event1
crw-rw---- 1 root games 13, 66 Aug 27 15:24 /dev/input/event2
crw-rw---- 1 root games 13, 67 Aug 27 15:24 /dev/input/event3
(SIDE NOTE: sudo is a neat program for running things as root... read about it here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/sudo-guide.xml)

NOW GO GET YOUR GAME ON!

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 11:24:27 pm »
OK, tonight's installment is how to build advancemenu-2.4.13.  My gcc version is 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1-r3).

First errors are:
advance/menu/emulator.h:44: error: extra qualification 'emulator::' on member 'attrib_compile'
advance/menu/emulator.h:366: error: extra qualification 'generic::' on member 'load_info'

... a crafty google yielded this page:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?do_Details=1&ID=3314&O=0&L=0&C=0&K=&SB=l&SO=d&PP=25&do_MyPackages=&do_Orphans=&SeB=

Here are the changes to advance/menu/emulator.h:
Line 44 was this:
std::string emulator::attrib_compile(const std::string& value0, const std::string& value1); make it this:
std::string attrib_compile(const std::string& value0, const std::string& value1);
Line 366 was this:
bool generic::load_info(game_set& gar);make it this:
bool load_info(game_set& gar);
... and with those 2 changes to 1 file, make install completed for me!  Relatively painless compared to svgalib!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:02:23 am by Major Rock Hardy »

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 08:34:45 am »
what hardware did you install this on? and what mame games do you play in this?

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 10:51:53 pm »
what hardware did you install this on? and what mame games do you play in this?

My Hardware:
P4 2.4 GHz, 512 MB Ram, SB Live! (emu10k1), ATI Radeon 7000 VE (rv100), also Matrox G400... trying to decide which video card I like better.  Also, Billabs BL27CB0P arcade monitor, (4) GPWiz49ecos, Opti-PAC, A-PAC.

What mame games?  All of them, I guess.  Was there one you were curious whether I got a particular framerate or something?

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 06:53:39 am »
My Hardware:
P4 2.4 GHz, 512 MB Ram, SB Live! (emu10k1), ATI Radeon 7000 VE (rv100), also Matrox G400... trying to decide which video card I like better.  Also, Billabs BL27CB0P arcade monitor, (4) GPWiz49ecos, Opti-PAC, A-PAC.

with that hardware, is there a significant performance difference between windows and linux? or even dos?

What mame games?  All of them, I guess.  Was there one you were curious whether I got a particular framerate or something?

yes. currently my benchmark games are outrun, afterburner and mslug2. i use dmamepp .89, .92, .100 and advmame .106 dos.

my mame pc specs:

p3 1ghz
128mb ram
es1980 maestro3 pci sound card
nvidia tnt2 32mb video ram

p4 1.6ghz
128mb ram
sis7012 onboard sound (does not work with dmamepp and advmame)
sis315 onboard video (set to only 4mb, works great!)

both use pcdos 7.10

the older romset of outrun works perfectly with .89, the slowdown starts with the later versions and requires a .9x romset version.

afterburner works okay with .89 but there are occasional dips in fps. still playable though, runs 100% if frameskip is set to 1 or higher.

mslug2 works ok with no frameskips. in fact all neogeo games runs great with the 1ghz cpu. i added it here because that game is where it is easy to spot the "emulated" slowdowns in mame. i have to say that i don't play NG games larger than 32mb because my p3's ram is not enough.

with the p4 and dmamepp .89, everything is faster but not by a large margin. what's noticable is the faster loading time. i'm playing with no sound because there are no DOS drivers for the onboard soundcard and other cards including SB/creative just won't work. i think sound is still emulated even though mame is silent. another interesting fact is that i removed the 64mb agp video card on this and reduced onboard video setting to just 4mb and there is no change in performance!

with advmame .106 dos, i get 50% slowdowns on games that run fine on regular dmame. the games run 100% but frameskip is horrible. full screen stretch is great though.

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 01:58:31 pm »
tikbalang -

I am right about to walk out the door for a vacation - I'll be back on Friday or Saturday.  I'll try to respond promptly when I return.  Didn't want to leave you hanging.

Cheers,
MRH

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 11:12:36 pm »
OK Tikbalang-

how do you want me to run the benchmarks on advancemame?  Just see if they play?

MRH

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 11:45:24 am »
tell  me if the following games run 100%, 0 frameskip, auto-everything in advmame:

outrun, aburner2, toutrun, gloc, strkfgtr.

btw, i installed lincade .04 today in the p4 1.6ghz and it looks good except i couldn't add any roms. it can't mount my usb disk and cdrom. i'll look into it tomorrow. the free games ran fine and the screen looked awesome.

thanks.

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 06:36:06 pm »
tell  me if the following games run 100%, 0 frameskip, auto-everything in
advmame:

outrun, aburner2, toutrun, gloc, strkfgtr.

they do!  Maybe a flicker to 99 or 101 but very rarely.  Interesting choices.  All Sega, mostly airplane games.  Are these your favorites or do you feel like these test the emulation the most?  As a sidenote, stunrun (my benchmark) was pretty wavery.  Playable, but the audio would waver in and out of speed, coincident with the F11 display.  It plays great however with display_frameskip set to auto.

as far as "auto" everything else, well, I changed display_frameskip to 1 in
the .rc file but I am not sure what else would affect this test, so here's my
advmame.rc file - let me know if you would like me to change a setting and
re-test.

display_adjust generate_yclock
device_video_interlace no
device_video_clock 5-100 / 15-50 / 47-90
starwars/device_video_hclock 47-48.5
debug_crash no
debug_rawsound no
debug_speedmark no
device_alsa_device default
device_alsa_mixer channel
device_color_bgr15 no
device_color_bgr16 yes
device_color_bgr24 no
device_color_bgr32 no
device_color_bgr8 no
device_color_palette8 no
device_color_yuy2 no
device_joystick auto
device_keyboard auto
device_mouse auto
device_raw_firstkeyhack no
device_raw_mousedev[0] auto
device_raw_mousedev[1] auto
device_raw_mousedev[2] auto
device_raw_mousedev[3] auto
device_raw_mousetype[0] pnp
device_raw_mousetype[1] pnp
device_raw_mousetype[2] pnp
device_raw_mousetype[3] pnp
device_sound auto
device_video auto
device_video_cursor auto
device_video_doublescan yes
device_video_fastchange no
device_video_output auto
device_video_overlaysize 1024
device_video_singlescan yes
display_antialias yes
display_artwork_backdrop yes
display_artwork_bezel no
display_artwork_crop yes
display_artwork_overlay yes
display_aspectx 4
display_aspecty 3
display_beam 1
display_brightness 1
display_buffer no
display_color bgr16
display_expand 1
display_flicker 0
display_flipx no
display_flipy no
display_frameskip 1
display_gamma 1
display_intensity 1.5
display_interlaceeffect none
display_magnify 1
display_mode auto
display_pausebrightness 1
display_resize none
display_resizeeffect none
display_restore yes
display_rgbeffect none
display_rol no
display_ror no
display_scanlines no
display_skipcolumns auto
display_skiplines auto
display_translucency yes
display_vsync no
include
input_hotkey yes
input_idleexit 0
input_map[coin5] auto
input_map[coin6] auto
input_map[coin7] auto
input_map[coin8] auto
input_map[event10] auto
input_map[event11] auto
input_map[event12] auto
input_map[event13] auto
input_map[event14] auto
input_map[event1] auto
input_map[event2] auto
input_map[event3] auto
input_map[event4] auto
input_map[event5] auto
input_map[event6] auto
input_map[event7] auto
input_map[event8] auto
input_map[event9] auto
input_map[p1_dialx] -mouse[1,0]
input_map[p1_dialy] auto
input_map[p1_lightgunx] auto
input_map[p1_lightguny] auto
input_map[p1_mousex] auto
input_map[p1_mousey] auto
input_map[p1_paddlex] -mouse[1,0]
input_map[p1_paddley] auto
input_map[p1_pedalbrake] auto
input_map[p1_pedalgas] auto
input_map[p1_pedalother] auto
input_map[p1_stickx] auto
input_map[p1_sticky] auto
input_map[p1_stickz] auto
input_map[p1_trackballx] auto
input_map[p1_trackbally] auto
input_map[p2_dialx] auto
input_map[p2_dialy] auto
input_map[p2_lightgunx] auto
input_map[p2_lightguny] auto
input_map[p2_mousex] auto
input_map[p2_mousey] auto
input_map[p2_paddlex] auto
input_map[p2_paddley] auto
input_map[p2_pedalbrake] auto
input_map[p2_pedalgas] auto
input_map[p2_pedalother] auto
input_map[p2_stickx] auto
input_map[p2_sticky] auto
input_map[p2_stickz] auto
input_map[p2_trackballx] auto
input_map[p2_trackbally] auto
input_map[p3_dialx] auto
input_map[p3_dialy] auto
input_map[p3_lightgunx] auto
input_map[p3_lightguny] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_a] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_b] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_bet] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_c] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_chance] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_chi] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_d] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_double_up] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_e] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_f] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_flip_flop] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_g] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_h] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_i] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_j] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_k] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_kan] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_l] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_m] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_n] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_pon] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_reach] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_ron] auto
input_map[p3_mahjong_score] auto
input_map[p3_mousex] auto
input_map[p3_mousey] auto
input_map[p3_paddlex] auto
input_map[p3_paddley] auto
input_map[p3_pedalbrake] auto
input_map[p3_pedalgas] auto
input_map[p3_pedalother] auto
input_map[p3_stickx] auto
input_map[p3_sticky] auto
input_map[p3_stickz] auto
input_map[p3_trackballx] auto
input_map[p3_trackbally] auto
input_map[p4_dialx] auto
input_map[p4_dialy] auto
input_map[p4_lightgunx] auto
input_map[p4_lightguny] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_a] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_b] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_bet] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_c] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_chance] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_chi] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_d] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_double_up] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_e] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_f] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_flip_flop] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_g] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_h] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_i] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_j] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_k] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_kan] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_l] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_m] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_n] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_pon] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_reach] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_ron] auto
input_map[p4_mahjong_score] auto
input_map[p4_mousex] auto
input_map[p4_mousey] auto
input_map[p4_paddlex] auto
input_map[p4_paddley] auto
input_map[p4_pedalbrake] auto
input_map[p4_pedalgas] auto
input_map[p4_pedalother] auto
input_map[p4_stickx] auto
input_map[p4_sticky] auto
input_map[p4_stickz] auto
input_map[p4_trackballx] auto
input_map[p4_trackbally] auto
input_map[safequit] auto
input_map[service_coin5] auto
input_map[service_coin6] auto
input_map[service_coin7] auto
input_map[service_coin8] auto
input_map[ui_toggle_ui] auto
input_steadykey no
lcd_server none
lcd_speed 4
lcd_timeout 500
misc_bios default
misc_cheat no
misc_cheatfile cheat.dat
misc_difficulty none
misc_eventdebug no
misc_eventfile event.dat
misc_freeplay no
misc_hiscorefile hiscore.dat
misc_lang none
misc_languagefile english.lng
misc_mutedemo no
misc_quiet yes
misc_safequit no
misc_smp no
misc_timetorun 0
record_sound yes
record_sound_time 15
record_video yes
record_video_interleave 2
record_video_time 15
script_coin1
script_coin2
script_coin3
script_coin4
script_emulation
script_event1
script_event10
script_event11
script_event12
script_event13
script_event14
script_event2
script_event3
script_event4
script_event5
script_event6
script_event7
script_event8
script_event9
script_led1 on(kdb, 0b1); wait(!event()); off(kdb, 0b1);
script_led2 on(kdb, 0b10); wait(!event()); off(kdb, 0b10);
script_led3
script_play
script_safequit
script_start1
script_start2
script_start3
script_start4
script_turbo while (event()) { toggle(kdb, 0b100); delay(100); } off(kdb, 0b100);
script_video wait(!event()); set(kdb, 0);
sound_adjust auto
sound_equalizer_highvolume 0
sound_equalizer_lowvolume 0
sound_equalizer_midvolume 0
sound_latency 0.05
sound_mode auto
sound_normalize yes
sound_samplerate 44100
sound_samples yes
sound_volume -3
sync_fps auto
sync_resample auto
sync_speed 1
sync_startuptime auto
sync_turbospeed 3
ui_color[help_other] 000000 808080
ui_color[help_p1] 000000 ffff00
ui_color[help_p2] 000000 00ff00
ui_color[help_p3] 000000 ff0000
ui_color[help_p4] 000000 00ffff
ui_color[interface] 000000 ffffff
ui_color[select] 000000 afffff
ui_color[tag] 247ef0 ffffff
ui_font auto
ui_fontsize auto
ui_helpimage auto
ui_translucency 0.8
vertical/display_ror yes
vector/display_beam 1.0
mspacman/input_dipswitch[cabinet] cocktail
astdelux/display_artwork_backdrop yes
astdelux/display_artwork_overlay yes
tempest/input_dipswitch[cabinet] cocktail
tempest/input_setting[p1_dialx] keydelta:20,centerdelta:20,sensitivity:15,reverse:0
starwars/input_map[p1_button1] joystick_button[0,7]
starwars/input_map[p1_button2] joystick_button[0,7]
device_video_format 15750 0.8 0.05 0.1 0.05 0.900763 0.0267176 0.0114504 0.0610687
device_video_format 25000 0.761905 0.047619 0.0952381 0.0952381 0.900943 0.0259434 0.0117925 0.0613208
device_video_format 31980 0.769231 0.0384615 0.115385 0.0769231 0.900563 0.0262664 0.011257 0.0619137
aburner2/input_map[p1_button3] joystick_button[0,2]
aburner2/input_map[p1_button1] joystick_button[0,7]
aburner2/input_map[p1_button2] joystick_button[0,1]
gloc/input_map[p1_button1] joystick_button[0,7]
gloc/input_map[p1_button2] joystick_button[0,3]

for documentation purposes, this was run with my Matrox G400 card and MS Sidewinder Dual Strike (un-hacked - yet) USB analog gamepad.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 06:38:50 pm by Major Rock Hardy »

tikbalang

• Offline Offline
    • MAME BootCD's for DOS
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 09:49:27 am »
thanks for the help, major. afterburner and outrun were my favorite games back then. anyway, i just found out that advmame supports the onboard sound using "device_sound vsync/ac97" without loading any dos drivers. i ran my games and i can only get 75% fps. maybe i need more ram.

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 06:10:48 pm »
could be more RAM would help but my first guess is that CPU horsepower is going to be the main factor in any emulation environment

Tilzs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2011, 10:41:56 am
  • Neat
    • Cocktail Arcade
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 11:34:36 am »
Why didn't you just use the portage ebuild install advancemame rather than download the sources an install them manually. I found doing emerge advancemame pretty straightforward

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 01:20:30 pm »
Why didn't you just use the portage ebuild install advancemame rather than download the sources an install them manually.
building advmame from source will allow me to hack it if I want, for instance:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48679.msg473477#msg473477
(AFAIK, this hack is not do-able via portage)

I found doing emerge advancemame pretty straightforward
indeed.  So was compiling from source:
sudo ./configure
sudo make install
was all it took to make advancemame (once svgalib was installed).  All the above head banging  :banghead: was due to svgalib compiliation.  The reason I didn't emerge that one is because my understanding is that you have to patch the svgalib sources with Andrea's patches (from the advancemame sources) in order to enable low pixel clocks (pclocks) on your video cards so you can achieve original resolutions on an arcade monitor.

Tilzs

• Offline Offline
  • Neat
    • Cocktail Arcade
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 02:46:41 pm »
building advmame from source will allow me to hack it if I want, for instance:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48679.msg473477#msg473477
(AFAIK, this hack is not do-able via portage)

Fair enough. You could create a custom package overlay however for advance mame, create whatever patch you need for you hack and apply that patch to your custom overlay. Such as instructions here http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_Updated_Ebuild

If you are into making a gee-wiz sort of howto advancemame and gentoo, creating an overlay and posting the ebuild would probably greatly simplify the instructions.

was all it took to make advancemame (once svgalib was installed).  All the above head banging  :banghead: was due to svgalib compilation.  The reason I didn't emerge that one is because my understanding is that you have to patch the svgalib sources with Andrea's patches (from the advancemame sources) in order to enable low pixel clocks (pclocks) on your video cards so you can achieve original resolutions on an arcade monitor.

Ah, I guess I never read that or just skipped over it. I have mine hooked up to a regular old computer CRT and it has seemed to run just fine, maybe I'll take a look at those patches myself.

Same custom overlay however could be applied here if you need specific patches added to svgalib. I'd be willing to bet that an overlay in this case would have saved some :banghead:. I've tried to compile svgalib from sources in the past and I found it a bear to get to work. Of course it could have been PEBKAC

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 06:06:00 pm »
If you are into making a gee-wiz sort of howto advancemame and gentoo, creating an overlay and posting the ebuild would probably greatly simplify the instructions.

good idea.  I had planned on doing this at some point, but I am in cab design/build mode now before the weather turns cold - then I'll be in tweak-software mode.  I'll take a look at it then.  Thanks for the suggestion!

wIrEs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2007, 01:03:58 am
  • Across the wires the electric message came.
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 11:37:36 pm »
why not use Sabayon Linux ? it's a Gentoo port, but comes with many programs already installed. You dont need to install/compile Gentoo from stages.. i am currently using it with Fluxbox in dual screens and it works perfectly well. Installing AdvanceMame is easy, just type:
emerge advancemame

wait a few minutes and you're done.

you dont have to go thru all that  :cheers: just run the live cd or dvd and use the desktop icon to install it in your harddrive, choose the desktop you want/need KDE, GNOME, FLUXBOX or just a shell, i dont like KDE or GNOME, so many files/space reason why i am running FLUXBOX.

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 01:31:14 am »
why not use Sabayon Linux ? it's a Gentoo port, but comes with many programs already installed. You dont need to install/compile Gentoo from stages.. i am currently using it with Fluxbox in dual screens and it works perfectly well. Installing AdvanceMame is easy, just type:
emerge advancemame

wait a few minutes and you're done.

you dont have to go thru all that  :cheers: just run the live cd or dvd and use the desktop icon to install it in your harddrive, choose the desktop you want/need KDE, GNOME, FLUXBOX or just a shell, i dont like KDE or GNOME, so many files/space reason why i am running FLUXBOX.

so this works with an arcade monitor?  What pixel clocks can you get?

wIrEs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 10:01:47 am »
arcade monitor ?

PC monitor works.. i can hook my tv to this computer and it will work too..  If you're talking about FPS i have no idea since i haven't checked that.. it works like any windows system .. dont be afraid of linux, it;s better than windows..

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 01:18:11 pm »
The whole point of advancemame (or why I started this thread) was that you can use your video card to output arcade hardware-exact video modes (with the exception of vector games) on an arcade monitor.  In order to do that, you have to use framebuffer (didn't work for me) or svgalib.

True, you can emerge svgalib, but my understanding is that to use low pixel clocks for arcade monitors, you have to compile from source with the patches provided by Andrea in the advancemame distribution.

Thus, the above headbanging is my contribution to help others who might want advancemame and svgalib (for their arcade monitors) but are daunted by the errors produced during compilation.

If you are going to just use a PC monitor, then, yes (you're right) all it would take is:
emerge advancemame(followed by  :cheers:)

For more about why I compiled advancemame from source, see here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=70303.msg745761#msg745761

wIrEs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 02:42:30 pm »
gentoo compiles from source too :)

what does a low pixel clock means ? is it for having a more "realistic arcade" feel?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 08:46:44 pm by wIrEs »

Tilzs

• Offline Offline
  • Neat
    • Cocktail Arcade
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2007, 04:09:48 pm »
I noticed the patches in the /contrib dir are for svgalib 1.9.19 and earlier. Is there any word that later dev versions such as svgalib 1.9.25 would also require patches to enable low pclocks or was that in any way incorporated into a version?

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 07:09:52 pm »
@wires: a low pixel clock is what you need to be able to do in order to get old 15.7 kHz frequencies to your arcade monitor for the authentic resolutions

@Tilzs: I wondered about that.  It was easy enough to get a hold of 1.9.19, so I just did that.  Compiling was not so easy but I've documented it here.  A thorough look through the source code would tell us whether the patches were necessary for 1.9.25.  I did not look.

wIrEs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 08:49:48 pm »
what if i use a PC monitor and a HDTV ?

i noticed today that some games dont run in full screen mode on my monitor but run in a normal window. Should i set my monitor to resolution 800x640 to play all the games ? i am currrently at 1280x1024, i am just testing the games on my desktop pc before building a cab.

Tilzs

• Offline Offline
  • Neat
    • Cocktail Arcade
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2007, 10:09:01 am »
It sounds like you are using SDL, in X. Major Rock Hardy and I are discussing patches for svgalib. svgalib and fb run from console.  I haven't really run advancemame in X, but if you post your advmame.rc, we can probably figure it out.

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 05:35:58 pm
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 11:45:09 am »

Line 366 was this:
bool generic::load_info(game_set& gar);make it this:
bool generic::load_info(game_set& gar);

Great!  I always bookmark your threads.
But...ummm...what is the difference between those two lines?  Am I missing something?

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2007, 12:06:11 am »
 oooh, good catch whammoed!  I dunno  :dunno what happened there - bad copy/paste I guess.  This is now fixed above.  The problem was the
bool generic::load_info(game_set& gar);
part (in red)

thanks for catching that.