Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: scan converter and GeForce cards...  (Read 2596 times)

aramis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2002, 09:24:04 pm
  • mame cab ALMOST done!
scan converter and GeForce cards...
« on: March 20, 2002, 10:32:04 am »
Hey everyone, I think I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and get a scan converter for my cab. I currently use an ATI AIW128 and s-vid to a 25" TV, but DAPHNE doesn't like ATI and I want to get a Geforce based card.

So, if I use a scan converter (TView Gold PCI), that would eliminate the crappy tv-out issues w/ the non-VIVO Geforces, right? (I'm thinking that with the TView, and Geforce can give full-screen tv-out since you don't actually use the s-vid out on the geforce card...is that true?)

Also, if I were to use the TView Gold PCI, can the PC monitor and S-vid (to TV) be on at the same time?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: scan converter and GeForce cards...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2002, 11:15:27 am »
Read around.  Scan converters have been brought up a ton recently.  I don't have one, but I've been scanning what others have been talking about.

1) There are a ton of different quality scan converters.  So search for the brand you want and make sure they are recommended

2) They will not be as crisp as a good SVid ATI... but some get very close

I really wish we had someone keeping a 'faq' message board that kept track of things like this.  Some type of databases for what TV-out cards (actual brands) and what scan-converters, ect.

I would like to know because my next project will be svid (or jpac with my 19" Arcade CRT if I can't find a small enought SVId TV since it will be for a cocktail table)

aramis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2002, 09:24:04 pm
  • mame cab ALMOST done!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 11:22:20 am »
yeah, the other posts are what got me thinking about this in the first place.  :)

I guess I'll have to go back and re-read them...I got the impression that the scan converter was BETTER quality than ATI s-vid out...and, I want a geforce card anyways because of DAPHNE. I've got some more reading to do it looks like.

thanks for the reply...

Billy the Kid

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 01:56:22 pm »
I'm using TView Gold PCI right now and it works great.  The output is far superior to any regular video card that is out there.  Some scan converters have crappy output, but if you want the best, go with a TView Gold model.  Highly recommeded.  

"Alienreb" had a post on here about a week ago with some nice input on his Averkey model that he purchased.  Just do a search for him by username and you'll see his post.  His post was inspiration for me to go out and buy a TView Gold model and I have not been disappointed.  No more hassles.