Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: O'Boyle's Arcade - by the "book"  (Read 17808 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: O'Boyle's Arcade - by the "book"
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2007, 07:28:28 pm »
I'm using 2 of the Super Joysticks and the Ms. Pacman/Galaga stick for the 4-way.  I looked on Happ's website and they have an exploaded view of the stick.  I guess I was hoping I didn't have to take it apart, but looks like that's the way to go.

Looking back at my posts, I didn't list everything I was putting into this, so here it is:

(All ordered from PonyBoy: numbers represent Happ numbers)

50-6084-1125R Pac-Man/Galaga Joystick   
50-6084-00  Super Joystick Black  (2)
56-0300-10TI12 Trackball Assy 3”   
55-1102-00  3” Trackball Mounting Kit Zinc 
95-2657-00  Slikstick Spinner   
50-0465-00A  Skirted Knob Assy.   
49-0059-00  Panel Clamps  (2)
49-1000-00  Marquee Retainer 36”  (2)
58-9155-L Horizontal Pushbuttons Yellow
58-9144-L Horizontal Pushbuttons Purple
58-9166-L Horizontal Pushbuttons Black
58-9100-L Horizontal Pushbuttons Red
58-9122-L Horizontal Pushbuttons Blue
40-0038-01 Coin Door

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2007, 10:51:52 pm »
I routed out the recessed area for the track ball mounting plate today.  Since this was the first time using a plunge router for me, I decided to try it out on a scrape piece of wood first. 

I used the mounting plate to trace out an outline for the cuts.  Had to read through the router instructions to learn how to set the depth of the cut

I cut it freehand and it worked out pretty well.  Here is a shot of the recessed plate in place.  I did see that I cut it a little too deep, so I will adjust that on the real thing

Here is a shot of the final work on the real control panel.  I got smarter after the test run and used a clamped down straight edge to get nice even edges.

Not perfect, but a pretty good fit.  I'm very pleased with the way it came out as this part kind of scared me going into it.  Turns out the router is pretty easy to use.  I now have the confidence to move on to top mounting the joysticks.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

GAtekwriter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2011, 09:55:44 am
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2007, 12:45:46 pm »
You did the edges and insides all by freehand?  No template or guide?  Nice work!  Gives me hope as the Control Panel is the part I'm definitely having some anxiety about.  Can you provide a photo of your entire CP at this point with AND without the hardware attached?

Jim

Dmod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2012, 06:50:45 pm
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2007, 02:41:03 pm »
You did the edges and insides all by freehand?  No template or guide?  Nice work! 

Yeah... what he said!  Congrats dude.

No way I come that close to a straight line freehand.  If that was easy for you, I may need to upgrade my borrowed 20 year old router.
My Projects:
Suspended Animation Scratch-built Cab
Driveshaft Arcade Seat Platform

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2007, 06:01:19 pm »
You did the edges and insides all by freehand?  No template or guide?  Nice work!  Gives me hope as the Control Panel is the part I'm definitely having some anxiety about.  Can you provide a photo of your entire CP at this point with AND without the hardware attached?

The practice one was all freehand.  For the real control panel, I clamped my straight edge down for each side.  This allowed me to run the router against the edge and get a nice straight line.  Just needed to be careful when you got to the end of each side so you didn't go past the outline.  It really went pretty easy, I just had to take my time.  Probably took me an hour to cut it out as I was very careful. 

I'll take a picture of the whole control panel, but other than the recessed area for the trackball plate it looks the same as the pictures above.  I didn't actuall install any hardware yet.  The trackball plate is just sitting in there upside down to test the fitting. 

I was most worried about the control panel as well, but so far so good (crosss finger...knock on wood...etc.)

I still need to cut out the area for the trackball.  Guess I'll use the router for that and the same method.  Won't have to be as careful on the edges though.  After that I'm going to top mount the joysticks, so that means more fun with the router.

Thanks for all the compliments.  I'll keep taking photos as I go along.

Dmod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2012, 06:50:45 pm
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2007, 06:51:12 pm »
Don't use a router for that, it will take many passes to get through the MDF.

Here's how I cut my trackball hole:

1) Print out the template for the trackball cutting area.
2) Using repositional spray adhesive (available at Lowes), align and stick the template down to your control panel.

Example:

3) Drill starter holes near the corners of the template.
4) Insert the jigsaw into the starter hole and cut out along the template outline.
5) Peel off the remainder of the paper stuck to the control panel.

You may be able to forego the starter holes since you already have the track ball hole there to start from.

I actually routed my trackball plate after I cut the hole but it shouldn't make any difference.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 07:09:46 pm by Dmod »
My Projects:
Suspended Animation Scratch-built Cab
Driveshaft Arcade Seat Platform

nukedawg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2021, 10:25:12 am
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2007, 03:02:24 am »
very nice

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2007, 10:01:33 pm »
Spent some time working on the trackball tonight.  I printed out my template for the 3" Happ trackball, but I couldn't get it to line up perfectly.  Since I already had the trackball area clearly marked out, I decided to just place the trackball on the control panel top in the correct spot and trace around the outline.

This gave me a good idea on where to cut out.  I then pencilled in the area I would be cutting out

Full control panel shot

Next step was to drill some holes to allow my jigsaw easy access.  I could have just started from the hole I cut for the trackball, but it was easier going from each corner.

Time to cut...

Almost there...

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2007, 10:04:22 pm »
And the completed cut

After a test fit to make sure the trackball fit (it did), I drilled the holes for the mounting plate.

A nice flush fitting trackball plate:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2007, 10:12:46 pm »
Next step was to start working on the joysticks.  I printed out my template, but again it was slightly off.  I decided that it would be easier to just trace the outline of the joystick.  To do this, I needed to take the joystick apart.  That E clip scared me!  Luckily, it didn't go flying across the room and the joystick was in pieces...

To trace out the outline, I turned the base of the stick upside down and lined up the center with the hole that I had already drilled out. 

I then traced out the outline, including the holes for the screws

Repeat for the right side

Next I drilled some small pilot holes.  Once the router hits it, I would lose those marking.  This way I can still line everything up

And that's as far as I was able to get tonight.  Back on it tomorrow morning.  Hopefully, I can get all three joysticks done.  After that is the fun part of putting everything together.

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2007, 01:01:27 am »
Looking good spyridon,

you do a good job documenting your project and be assure it will usefull for other people  :applaud:

not me, because, I'm just a bit ahead of you.  I just finished the routing of the recessed part on my CP tonight  >:D

Keep us posted!

Jay  :cheers:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2007, 08:16:17 am »
Thanks Jay.  I've been following your thread.  Awesome work!   :notworthy:  It looks great.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2007, 11:27:48 am »
Spyridon,

Agree with Jay - you're documenting is great.  It'll be a huge help to me when I reach that point.  Picked up my monitor this morning and will be working today on getting it fitted properly in the cab.  Your earlier comments will help there, too.

Remember - PLENTY of pictures and commentary!  (I enjoy reading about other people's work as much as I enjoy working on my own.)

Jim

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2007, 02:20:12 pm »
Picked up my monitor this morning and will be working today on getting it fitted properly in the cab. 

Thanks Jim.  What monitor did you end up going with.  I didn't figure out what I'm using yet.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2007, 02:33:37 pm »
It's a Sony 25" - heavy commercial usage.  Apparently they are used in newsrooms and such... well, before LCD flatpanels became the rage.  It's very heavy - I'd estimate it's pushing 100 pounds and is going to require some serious reinforcing of the cabinet.  The great news is the picture is excellent and I hooked up my laptop and played some games on it and they look great.  Got it for 25$ from a guy who buys and sells audio/video surplus.

Jim

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2007, 03:50:04 pm »
Can't beat the price.  Good luck with it and don't hurt your back lifting it in.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2007, 03:57:28 pm »
Worked on the joysticks today.  I started out by using the router to recess the Happ Super's flush with the control panel. 

First the left side.  I started marking the area the I will need to cut out in order to make it fit.

Then the right.

I tested the fit with the joystick turned upside down.

Once the fit was correct I used the router on the interior part.  This wasn't as easy to do free hand as all the other parts because of the dept of the router.  With it plunged down so low, it was difficult to see where I was going.  Need to learn how to make a template for next time.  Again, starting with the left...

If fits...

Wash, Rinse, Repeat for the right...

Not a perfect cut, but it works and you won't see any of the crooked lines on the finished product.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2007, 04:04:41 pm »
Next it was time for the dedicated 4-way stick.  I struggled with the E clip on this one, but finally got it apart

Same approach as the other two joysticks.  I used the base to trace out the outline.

And cut...

Test fit...

Then mark off the area that needed to be extracted with the router...

Cut...

And if fits...

This one turned out the best of the three.  Guess I'm getting the hang of it.

And the full control panel with all joysticks complete.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2007, 04:15:12 pm »
Needed a break from the control panel, so I started working on the marquee area.  First I needed to install the Nova Matrix LED lights.  Since the interior area was angled, I needed a level area to mount the lights.  I thought it would be pointing too far down if I used the angled area.  I screwed two pieces of scrap MDF to the top of the marquee.

The lights came with two wires that were only a few inches long.  I attached some wires that would be long enought to reach down to the power supply on the computer.

Then I attached the light to the MDF pieces

Trying to keep the wires under control

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2007, 04:22:27 pm »
With the light installed, I can now install the speakers.  I'm using the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speaker system.  This is the same one used in the book.  I first removed the cover and screws holding the face plate on.

I had already drilled the holes using the template earlier, so all I had to do was replace the stock screws with 1 3/4 length screws. 

I orderd some speaker grills from Mike's Arcade and screwed them on as well.

I think I'm going to try and find some black screws as the silver ones stick out too much on the black background

I wonder if I have the light mounted too low.  Hopefully the speakers won't throw a shadow on the marquee.  If the do, I'll have to raise up the light.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2007, 06:58:34 am »
Nice progress, well done.

I suggest you might need to use some other speakers or de-case those... I'm almost certain that those speaker boxes are going to cast a shadow on your marquee. I suggest trying a marquee in a dark room before you finalize anything.. and if you're set on those speakers being in the case, try some foil tape on the roof to reflect the light back down.

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2007, 11:02:28 am »
Following on dmworking247 recommandation for the speaker,

If decasing isn't an option for you you can try what I did...
I'm using logitech Z2300 and have a similar setup : speaker close to the marquee and NOT decased.
Basically, I mounted the light source above the speakers and use a piece of luan covered with a reflective material.

if you need more info, here's the post where I talk a bit about it... (post#191)
uroMAMEstyx speaker vs marquee solution

If there's something your not sure about this, ask  ;D

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2007, 11:38:31 am »
I think I'm going to try and find some black screws as the silver ones stick out too much on the black background
On my current project, I had the same issue.  If you can't find black screws, a touch of black spray paint may be your friend.  I had the same issue on my current project.  To get them consistant and even, I taped them together with a bit of tape, then hung them up.

Great progress.

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2007, 09:16:44 pm »
On my current project, I had the same issue.  If you can't find black screws, a touch of black spray paint may be your friend.  I had the same issue on my current project.  To get them consistant and even, I taped them together with a bit of tape, then hung them up.
Same problem here, same solution as TheCoder...

The screw painted black...

A close-up of the final results...

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2007, 10:24:38 pm »
Had to fix a problem with one of the pinball buttons on the side of the control box.  When I drilled the hole, I drilled too low which resulted in the bottom panel being in the way of the button going all the way through  :banghead:.   

My first thought on fixing this was just throw the router thorugh the hole and make some room.  I tried it and realized that the bit would not reach through far enough.  After several minutes yelling at myself for not drilling in the right spot in the first place, I decided to try and use the spade bit to clean it out.  It worked.  I'm not proud of it as it is kind of a hack job, but it works and won't be seen once everything is put together. (new this was going to easy)

Here's a shot of the button going in all the way.

And from the inside...

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2007, 10:36:19 pm »
Next, it was on to the marquee.  I picked up a disk drive power extension cable from Radio Shack.  I couldn't find just the molex connectors I needed, so this seemed like an easy way to avoid hacking up my power supply. 

Since I only needed tow of the four wires, I cut off the section I needed (on the left)

And connected it to the wires running to the Nova Matrix LED's.

I then plugged it into the power supply matching up to the +5v wire

Turned it on and waited for the magic to happen...

:dunno
All I got was two barely lit LED's on each side?  Was it my power supply?  Switched to another one and tried that.  Nothing!  Stumped for a few minutes and went on to the web site to check the specs on the LED's.  It needs +12v  :banghead:.  For some reason, I really thought it was +5v.  Well, better I under shot than over shot.  Need to read directions better in the future.

Switched the wires to the correct ones and.......

There's the magic I was looking for!!!   :applaud:
The pictures really don't show how bright this thing really is.

Now to see how the marquee looks (hand held)

I was worried about the speakers being in the way, but it's so bright, that I don't need to worry about it.  It looks great as is.

I know this is common stuff to most of the people out here, but this is my first one.  And I have to say I was really excited to see this thing light up.  I ran upstairs and made my wife come down to look at it. (She wasn't quite as excited as me - but she did like it)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:42:52 pm by Spyridon »

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2007, 10:41:33 pm »
Time to button up the marquee.  I needed to cut the marquee retainers to size.  I measure, clamped down, and used the jigsaw to cut it.  Jigsaw went through it like butter.  Really easy.

When I orderd the marquee from Mamemarquees, I also ordered the two pieces of plexi glass to hold it.  Needed to remove the protective layer.  First the front...

then the back

I'm planning on painting the screws black, but was too excited to wait.  I'll switch 'em out later.  Installed the reatainers with three screws on top and bottom.

And one with the lights on...(sorry about the blurry picture)

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2007, 03:42:40 am »
Looking good spyridon!!!

I had to think twice on my CP box before drilling the pinball holes.

Those mini marquee led seems terrific :)
that 5V error is not that bad, imagine if it was the opposite : 5V and you plug 12V...
It would have been a nice flash.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2007, 10:55:05 am »
Spyridon,

The marquee looks great!  What color t-molding will you be using?

Also, you say the LEDs require 12V - how did you solve that problem?  Are you still pulling power from the PC's power supply?

Jim

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2007, 12:10:14 pm »
Spyridon,

The marquee looks great!  What color t-molding will you be using?

My original plan was to do a Galaga style cabinet, but shortly after starting, I picked up a real one.  I had already ordered black t-molding.  I'll put it on, but may switch to blue at some point because that combo seems to work well on many of the cabs I've seen  posted.

Also, you say the LEDs require 12V - how did you solve that problem?  Are you still pulling power from the PC's power supply?

Yes, I'm still pulling it from the PC's power supply.  Just needed to move the wire from one spot to another.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »
Blue-trim t-molding would look nice with the blue in your marquee... just not sure if the blue t-molding would blend or clash with the blue in your marquee.

Jim

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2007, 03:23:16 pm »
It worked.  I'm not proud of it as it is kind of a hack job, but it works and won't be seen once everything is put together. (new this was going to easy)

Actually, this is a good thing. It's better to have a few easy-to-fix screwups along the way rather than discover you  :censored: up royally at the end.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2007, 03:59:43 pm »
Today I bolted in the three joysticks.  I used drilled all the way through the control panel and used machine screws, nuts, washers and lock washers to secure it (Thanks Kenival for that tip)

Here is the first one done

And a close up

They are really held in there tight with those machine screws.
Here are all three joysticks completed

Next, I bolted in the trackball mounting plate

And a top shot of everything in its place.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2007, 04:05:49 pm »
On to the t-molding.  I used a paper towel to avoid marking up the t-molding.  That only worked for a little while as I needed a third set of hands to do it.  Since the t-molding is black, it really wasn't needed.

Around the 90 degree corners, I cut out a section of the t-molding to get it tight around the corner.

Completed coin door section

Around the curved section I added a few cuts to get it to bend correctly

t-molding complete...

The t-molding really gives it a nice professional look.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2007, 04:08:33 pm »
Next, I added some clamps to hold the control panel box in place.

With the control panel box in its correct spot, I traced out the bracket for each side.

Then screwed it in place

Finally, I lined up the latch and screwed that in.

Did this on both sides and not have a nice sturdy control panel.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2007, 09:24:44 pm »
More work on the control panel today.  I placed my control panel overaly and lexan on the control panel top and lined up the holes.

Once it was lined up correctly, I clamped it in place.

I didn't use any adhesive on the overlay, instead, I cut a star patter in each of the button holes and used the buttons to lock it in place.  It holds very tight and isn't going anywhere.

And here it is with all the buttons and joysticks in place.  (still need to add the spinner)

The last thing for tonight was the put the t-molding in place on the control panel top.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2007, 09:20:57 am »
Looking REAL good!  Has the hole already been drilled for your spinner?

Jim

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2007, 12:51:52 pm »
Looking REAL good!  Has the hole already been drilled for your spinner?

Yes, it is already drilled.  You can see it just to the left of the Q-bert picture.  The joysticks are just sitting in there for show.  I didn't want to install them or the spinner until I finished the wire work.  It will be easy to turn up side down and work on at my table without them in.

Thanks for the compliments.  Can't wait to finish it.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2007, 11:10:52 am »
I'm working on the wireing and have a question.  Which buttons are typically setup as button #1, button #2, and button #3?  The ones on the top row or the bottom row?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2007, 10:07:47 am »
Never mind.  I figured it out once I installed the iPac configuration software.  They used the top row as buttons 1-2-3 and second row as 4-5-6.  Makes sense, so that's the route I will go. 

Finished most of the wire work last night and plugged it in.  It works!!!!!!  Now I need to unplug it and forget about it until I finish up the remaining details.