Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I'm looking for specific information on key mapping...  (Read 5554 times)

lharles

• I believe I may suffer from mental illness as well. However, I don't really mind it.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2016, 03:23:00 pm
    • Random Statements
I'm looking for specific information on key mapping...
« on: August 17, 2007, 09:23:41 am »
Hiya'!

I'm new to the jukebox thing but not new to the forums here.  :)

Anyway, I just dug in on building a jukebox from some stuff I had sitting around and I've been reasonably successful so far.  I've done searches relating to my question prior to posting and couldn't find any pertinent information.

...and let me say this is a FANTASTIC utility.  Chris, you have my thanks and appreciation for building and maintaining something as useful as DOS/WinCab.

Here's my situation:

I'm using an older lappy with a single USB connection - Win2k.  It functions fine for music playback, audio, etc.  I've got a numeric keypad connected via USB and I've got the '+' and '-' set up as page up and page down from within WinCab.  I've got selection keys set on the numbers themselves, (which I plan on relabelling once I've got this all doped out), but I'm not sure how to go about mapping/using the '*' and '/' keys.  I'm sure there's something obvious that I've missed, but I went through the .ini files and the docs and I couldn't find any way to address this...maybe I just didn't read closely enough.  :)

SO, how DO I map the '*' and '/' to usable functions within WinCab?  ???  :)

...hopefully that all makes sense.

Thanks!
5 unlikely superhero names: 1. Sweat Man! 2. Anti-Depressantor! 3. Soap Scum Boy! 4. Clumsy Woman! 5. Hair Removalator!  Bonus: 6. Curdled Milk Lad!  'List O' Five' from randomstatements.blogspot.com.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: I'm looking for specific information on key mapping...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:29:10 am »
but I'm not sure how to go about mapping/using the '*' and '/' keys.  I'm sure there's something obvious that I've missed, but I went through the .ini files and the docs and I couldn't find any way to address this...maybe I just didn't read closely enough.  :)

You need to remap KEY_SLASH_PAD and KEY_ASTERISK.  So in CONTROLS.INI, set these up as:

KEY_SLASH_PAD = BTN_PREVPG
KEY_ASTERISK = BTN_NEXTPG

Does that help?

--Chris

--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

lharles

• I believe I may suffer from mental illness as well. However, I don't really mind it.
  • Offline Offline
    • Random Statements
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:42:13 am »
but I'm not sure how to go about mapping/using the '*' and '/' keys.  I'm sure there's something obvious that I've missed, but I went through the .ini files and the docs and I couldn't find any way to address this...maybe I just didn't read closely enough.  :)

You need to remap KEY_SLASH_PAD and KEY_ASTERISK.  So in CONTROLS.INI, set these up as:

KEY_SLASH_PAD = BTN_PREVPG
KEY_ASTERISK = BTN_NEXTPG

Does that help?

--Chris

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for.  I basically just needed the syntax for the keys, such as in your example - 'KEY_SLASH_PAD'.  :)

Is there a list of the keys and the syntax like that, that I can reference so that I don't have to bother anyone else?

Thank you VERY much!  :)
5 unlikely superhero names: 1. Sweat Man! 2. Anti-Depressantor! 3. Soap Scum Boy! 4. Clumsy Woman! 5. Hair Removalator!  Bonus: 6. Curdled Milk Lad!  'List O' Five' from randomstatements.blogspot.com.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:46:31 am »
All of the supported key names should be in the CONTROLS.INI that comes with the program.  I don't have them listed in the actual docs yet.

--Chris
--Chris

lharles

• Offline Offline
    • Random Statements
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:58:46 am »
All of the supported key names should be in the CONTROLS.INI that comes with the program.  I don't have them listed in the actual docs yet.

--Chris

Quote from: Lharles
...maybe I just didn't read closely enough.  :)

...proving myself right AND making myself feel stupid all at once.  It's gonna' be a great day.  :)

Thanks, Chris.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 10:11:00 am »
...proving myself right AND making myself feel stupid all at once.  It's gonna' be a great day.  :)
It's not you, the docs need serious work.  LOL

Glad I could help!

--Chris
--Chris

RXII

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2014, 07:45:51 pm
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 11:35:45 am »
Sorry to dig up an old post but when I did a search for wincab controls this thread was the closest one I could find that was relevant without starting a new thread!
I was playing with the controls.ini file today to get wincab friendly for use with my cabinet. It has a 2 player 6 button configuration, I am trying to get my head around how this file works and what I need and dont need. If I want to use joystick 2 to flick through pages do I modify the "key" part up the top or utilise the joystick part lower down. I have tried a few different ways with no luck. I think at the moment the "," and the "." do the previous page and next page. Any hints?
Thanks,

Simon.
Operation Aussie Lowboy http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68962.0
Soon I may actually be able to play it!

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 12:25:28 pm »
Sorry to dig up an old post but when I did a search for wincab controls this thread was the closest one I could find that was relevant without starting a new thread!
I was playing with the controls.ini file today to get wincab friendly for use with my cabinet. It has a 2 player 6 button configuration, I am trying to get my head around how this file works and what I need and dont need. If I want to use joystick 2 to flick through pages do I modify the "key" part up the top or utilise the joystick part lower down. I have tried a few different ways with no luck. I think at the moment the "," and the "." do the previous page and next page. Any hints?
Thanks,

Simon.
The question is "How does Windows see your joystick?"  When you pull the joystick down, does it register as a keystroke?  If so, that's what you use; this is the way it would be if you are using an IPac or KeyWiz to interface with your joystick.  If it shows it as a gamepad analog axis, you would use the section down below; this is how it would be if your joystick was connected via a GPWiz or if it was an Ultrastick 360.
--Chris

RXII

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2014, 07:45:51 pm
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 01:49:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I just have happs joystick connected to an Ipac. I opened up notepad and checked if I had the correct letters by operating the player 2 joystick and put those letters in the controls.ini file. I guess I just want to make sure I am putting the letters in the right place in the file. I will have another go and let you know.

Thanks,
Simon
Operation Aussie Lowboy http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68962.0
Soon I may actually be able to play it!

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 04:22:51 pm »
If it doesn't work, just post a copy of your CONTROLS.INI and we'll see what's up.

--Chris
--Chris