Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: XMAME compiling question  (Read 7740 times)

govee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2012, 09:26:30 pm
XMAME compiling question
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:52:35 pm »
I recently decided I had too much free time so I decided to do a Linux version for another cab.I have no linux experience so this question might seem simple. I am running Fedora and am trying to get XMAME compiled. The instructions in the readme are difficult to understand and I know I am screwing this up. I was sucessful at compliling mame under windows but I think the instructions were written for the average non technical windows user and the XMame instructions appear to believe since I am using Linux I must be a Techy.I did what I think was correct and when I get to the point of typing "make " in the terminal it says no target. do I have to do a change directory to the file where the xmame is loaded?

govee

• Offline Offline
Re: XMAME compiling question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:16:20 pm »
Ok, that was easy. Yes, I do need to do a"CD". Now I get a error 127 after the compiling starts. Any thoughts?

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 07:58:08 am »
There is no reason to use XMAME anymore.  It is dead.

SDLMAME is what you want.

govee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 08:40:23 am »
Thank you.
Does the version of SDLMAME ie (SDLMAME 0.115) have to be tied to the same version of ROMS? i would like to use an early version of ROMs to start. If I need an early SDLMAME version is there a site that has the old versions.

krisbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2015, 04:55:07 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 03:11:32 pm »
Ok, that was easy. Yes, I do need to do a"CD". Now I get a error 127 after the compiling starts. Any thoughts?

Usually, that means the error is on line 127 of the makefile... from there you can see where the problem is starting..  like, maybe not having the full devel packages (i use a different distro, but I think Ubuntu does that)...

I still use xmame, and am happy with it (using .106) though I do have SDL enabled :)

wIrEs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2007, 01:03:58 am
  • Across the wires the electric message came.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:14:04 am »

Usually, that means the error is on line 127 of the makefile... from there you can see where the problem is starting..  like, maybe not having the full devel packages (i use a different distro, but I think Ubuntu does that)...

I still use xmame, and am happy with it (using .106) though I do have SDL enabled :)

i do use xmame with SDL enabled too :)
running gentoo linux, compiling is as easy as typing: emerge xmame
you need to specify the USE flags to enable SDL though. I have a website running and will start doing some howto's on what i am doing when my project starts. This is the first time i try to build the arcade box though, i am somewhat good in linux, i am good at soldering too, the only part i dont know yet is how to connect stuff together (control panel) and configuring it under linux. I will add my website link in my profile when i am done with the project  :cheers:

games-emulation/xmame
     Available versions:  0.106
     Installed versions:  0.106(06:12:18 PM 10/11/2007)(X alsa -arts dga esd -expat -ggi joystick -lirc mmx net opengl sdl svga xinerama xv)
     Homepage:            http://x.mame.net/
     Description:         Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator for X11

krisbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2015, 04:55:07 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:39:20 am »
Govee,

Just in case you didn't know.. depending on your distro, somebody might have already compiled your xmame for you... it is usually in the plf repos, which depending on your distro, may be added (or downloaded)....

That is of course, if you just want xmame...  if you want the experience and to compile, then continue.

I compiled xmame with sdl support without a hitch once... then decided it was just easier to use the repos version anyway (setting up links, etc.)

Its' true, xmame is dead... but I don't run modern games, and am happy with .106 on my box.  Plus, I have all the roms for that version.

Arbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 04:35:09 pm »
Even if you only play the classics, it pays to be up to date.  Donkey Kong has wrong colors and missing sounds in MAME 0.106, for instance, and a lot of other classics have been improved a lot since then too.

Also, xmame.SDL has *nothing* to do with SDLMAME.  SDLMAME is a brand new from-scratch port of the Windows code to leverage modern Linux features like multiple CPUs and OpenGL.  Vector games are drawn entirely by your video card, for instance, which xmame could never do.

wIrEs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 01:14:34 pm »
Arbee, i heard you're very active in Linux  :cheers:

are you the same Arbee from Arbee's WIP Emporium though ? lol

I have downloaded and compiled SDLMAME-0.120a and it works perfect, i didnt applied any patches though since Gentoo does everything for me, decompressing and configure... i can apply patches to the source but do you know how to make Portage apply the patches automatically before installing SDLMAME?

games-emulation/sdlmame [1]
     Available versions:  (~)0.119_p4 (~)0.120a
     Installed versions:  0.120a(10:46:47 AM 10/21/2007)(-debug -minimal)
     Homepage:            http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=163
     Description:         Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (SDL)

[1] /usr/portage/local/layman/sunrise

Quote from DarkStalker @ Gentoo Forums:
R Belmont is wrong. XMAME has not stopped development at all. They are working on some major changes that were made to the MAME core recently.

I am not sure but the more i read about MAME and emulators, there's many versions of MAME, xmame, xmame.x11, xmame.SDL, AdvanceMAME, SDLMAME.... so i am wondering which one is the best right now...i mean the best, not the more active/developed version out there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:21:09 pm by wIrEs »

wIrEs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 01:24:29 pm »
from dongle @ Gentoo forums:
Yeah I've been running SDLMame for a couple of weeks now. It's good!

Arbee just released a preview of Nestopia for linux. It's also good!

He has single handedly stepped up the emulation quality on linux a huge amount.

from Shado23 @ Gentoo forums:
dongle wrote:
Yeah I've been running SDLMame for a couple of weeks now. It's good!

Arbee just released a preview of Nestopia for linux. It's also good!

He has single handedly stepped up the emulation quality on linux a huge amount.

Yeah, he rulez. :D

Btw. there's a new version out.
And I found out how to do it the right way.
If you change the filename to sdlmame-0.107_p3.ebuild and change this line:
Code:
MY_PV="${PV/./}u2"

to
Code:
MY_PV="${PV/./}"
MY_PV="${MY_PV/_p/u}"

you'll just have to change the filename for version bumps and redigest.
(Well if there isn't any changes in the Makefile that might require changes to the ebuild.)

By all means tell me if the ebuild does or does not work for you.

:applaud:

Arbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 03:14:29 pm »
Thanks!  Yeah, I have been trying to make Linux more fun (with some help, of course).  A new NEStopia with an easier control configuration setup and the option for OpenGL output (for hardware scaling) is coming soon, and the latest SDLMAME (released this morning) has some very significant speedups for dual-core or dual-CPU users on 3D games.  I'm seeing 100% in-game on NFL Blitz and San Fransico Rush on an overclocked Core 2 Duo, for instance.

govee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 10:13:45 pm »
I was trying out different Linux distros an stopped at Ubuntu. At that point I was able to use the repositories and loaded SDLMAME and it worked out of the box. I also downloaded Mamewah and it running. I haven't gone much further as I got busy travelling for work an I let myself get distracted by a couple other follies such as a Jukebox and playing around with MythTv, but I should be back to it soon.

wIrEs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 02:28:16 pm »
Arbee if you need webspace(free) let me know.

J-Rod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2008, 06:17:07 pm
  • Gaming junkie
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 07:39:19 pm »
I was trying out different Linux distros an stopped at Ubuntu. At that point I was able to use the repositories and loaded SDLMAME and it worked out of the box. I also downloaded Mamewah and it running. I haven't gone much further as I got busy travelling for work an I let myself get distracted by a couple other follies such as a Jukebox and playing around with MythTv, but I should be back to it soon.

You got mamewah running in ubuntu or wah!cade? I spent all day today futzing with compiling xmame, trying to get it fullscreen. I came across this post and was joyed to see a package for ubuntu SDLMame. Looks like exactly what I am going to need. I am making a vertical cabinet, and was planning on using mamewah as my FE since I was already familiar with it's capabilites. I am hoping that SDLMame can let me generate and play a list of vertical shooters and rotate the display!

govee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 10:10:53 pm »
Pretty sure Mamewah will let you filter like you want but i am not sure of the rotation but I havent checked.

govee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 06:52:50 pm »
oope I didn't even notice! It is Wahcade not Mamewah' I have Mamewah running on winows.