Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Outrun Upright project! FINISHED!  (Read 22770 times)

TheDriver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2008, 04:08:37 pm
Re: The Outrun Upright project!
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 12:34:24 pm »
So did you add a microswitch to your shifter, or did it already have two microswitches?

I ended up adding another microswitch & wired it to the same point on the A-pac (so mame see's it as a single keystroke like the spacebar) the original gear lever is exactly the same as Poleposition with one microswitch either open or closed. I re-compiled mame twice with edit's to the segaorun driver but to no avail, it seem's it work's similar to the polepos driver but I certainly can't figure it out and as they say (seeing as it works with two microswitches) "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" !!!!

I got a bracket made by my girls dad (great knowing someone who works with sheet metal!!!) for the inside of the cab to hold the power button and service button behind the coin door, post pic's later.

Regards.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2007, 06:00:57 am »
Sorry for the lateness of the update, not much happening atm because I broke one of my fingers, found it quite difficult to do anything with the cab, anyhow below is a pic of the bracket but I have boobed with the size of the holes (they are too big) I took the wrong size on the button, took the collar size instead of the thread (Doh!) so need to get more made. On the plus side my camlocks appeared today along with some more pushbuttons.

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2007, 08:26:30 pm »
I broke one of my fingers

:-\

hope you felling better  :angel:

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2007, 05:37:02 am »
It's a killer!! You don't realise how much you rely on something until something happens to it, probably take a fortnight to heal properly  :cry: Work is no fun either when I keep knocking it from time to time, still I would rather not be off, work keep's me busy. :)

Cheer's arcadefever  :cheers:

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2007, 10:33:02 am »
Small update:

I have my bracket for my power button and admin button's. Won't be fixing it to the cab yet till I get the splint off my hand :(

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2007, 12:16:48 pm »
Busy, busy at work but I did manage to find the time to get the badge on the steering wheel (cheer's arcadefever!) it look's a bit rough atm but I will tidy it up once it is stuck into place. Also delighted to find that maplin stock's a lever microswitch, I had no idea so I plan to remove the standard microswitch I put in the gear lever and replace it with a lever one like the original that is there. The project is so close to getting finished but I just do not have the time, plus my finger is not getting any better either!!! ;)

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 12:38:28 pm »
 :cheers: nice !!!!

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2007, 10:29:49 am »
Well I reckon I am finished now, I put in the replacement microswitch with the actuator into the gear stick (seems to work much better now) put the button bracket in so there is now complete control to the cab from this (mame, mamewah - Red button for power, orange for service, yellow for the tab menu in mame, white to escape menu in mame or game, other controls on CP get used too) added my own layout to mamewah (which after testing a few front-end's was the one that worked best for the cab)

So a big thankyou to all who helped me get to this point, special thankyou to arcadefever, shardian, Stobe who helped in getting the cab to a working state and a shout out to all member's who make this forum such a great place to visit.

Roll on the next project, Until someone does a chihiro emulator for OR2 I feel I need a fighter of some sort, wether it be mame or a dedicated cab.

Thank you all.

Regards.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 07:49:57 am by TheDriver »

The Chugnut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2008, 04:20:01 am
Re: The Outrun Upright project! FINISHED!
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2007, 01:25:02 pm »
Great job man!  :notworthy:

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2007, 01:54:59 pm »
So does the force feedback work for Outrun??

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2007, 09:26:59 pm »
awesome!
congratulations!

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2007, 03:58:54 am »
So does the force feedback work for Outrun??

Could'nt figure out how to connect it, not sure it's possible to connect it to the A-pac. It would work if I hacked it to a PC steering wheel but I wanted to keep the original look of the cp and the PC steering wheel I bought was pretty rubbish, just did'nt have the same feel If that makes any sense. I still have it so maybe will have a look at doing something with it in the future but atm I am just happy that it work's still after ripping it to bit's (connected to my xbx!) I have the bug now but my next cab I want to build from scratch, it's all fair and well getting an existing cab and converting but I think there would be more joy from actually scratch building. Going to wait though and have a break.

Regards.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2007, 11:01:30 am »
The outrun emulator is supposed to generate the signal for the motors. So basically, you would have to make a controller that accepts the signal to kick on the juice to the motors. If you got in touch with an electronics guru, they could probably tell you what to do off the top of their head. On my senior design project, we racked our brains for days on how to interface a high voltage solenoid with our controller and software. We got help from the Computer Science teacher, and within five minutes of showing him the parts and specs, he told us exactly what part to buy and how to write the program code.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2007, 01:49:45 pm »
Amazing project ... That would be super impressive if you hooked up the force feedback.  Both the feedback and the music are what makes OutRun a milestone, IMO.

Pun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2018, 07:10:08 pm
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2007, 02:55:58 pm »
It doesn't really solve the force feedback issue, but one cool product that I've found for bass vibration is the ButtKicker

http://www.amazon.com/Buttkicker-BK-GR-ButtKicker-Gamer/dp/B000AOTLP6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-4415101-8552622?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1191523992&sr=8-2

It's a good substitute for force feedback and even better if have sitdown cab but don't want the heavy bass system in it.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2007, 07:49:28 am »
Would be great to get something hooked up to it, I checked the motor yesterday and it still work's, as you say shardian I would need to hook this up to something custom made, something to look at in time. As for the buttkicker this I agree would be great in a sitdown cab, unfortunately I don't have the space for a sitdown cab atm and as pointed out by KenToad the force feedback and the music is what made it, 1 out of 2 is not bad atm!!!

I will look into the ff issue in due course guy's but of course if anyone has any suggestion's or info they can share then please post. If you ever get that project up & running shardian then please post. :)

Regards.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2007, 09:02:09 am »
I emailed the guy who oversee's the final burn emulator. He says the emulator can supply input to the existing FF, but the trick is finding a way to interface the FF controls with the pc.

They give an example of the best wheel to use in their faq. It couldn't just be a vibrating wheel, it has to be a true FF pc wheel to get the proper functionality. Final burn guys recommend a LOGITECH FORCE 3D PRO. You could pick one up on ebay fairly cheap and check it for hackability.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 09:11:04 am by shardian »

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2007, 10:35:01 am »
I know I have stated the cab is finished but it's needing a few tweaks yet to be completely finished (as is always the case!!!) but anway, after getting a hi-q map at long last I thought I would have a little look see at where it should be. It never had one when I got it, instead replaced with a plastic cutout presumeably because it was damaged or ripped off, after taking the plastic panel off the outline of the original sticker can be seen, so I did a quick print and nearly matched up the map outline, still needs a tweak.