Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Outrun Upright project! FINISHED!  (Read 22765 times)

TheDriver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2008, 04:08:37 pm
The Outrun Upright project! FINISHED!
« on: August 16, 2007, 01:23:15 pm »
My first cabinet project is finally getting brought to life after a weekend of inspiration at blackpool last month. Wandering around the arcades I suddenly got the bug to get this cabinet project moving (seeing as I have had it for at least 3 years, lot's of nagging from my girl to get rid of it!) So, first a bit of history on the cab.

I picked it up from the basement at my work, it was in a room marked for destruction along with fridges and other bulky items and me being me just could not see it getting destroyed, however I never knew how badly it was damaged inside. No one knew what happened to it but it looks like an electrical fault of some sort had caused it to catch light as the inside was black with ash and the pcb's that were on the shelf along with the PSU were melted. Since it was lying in wait for disposal something had been dropped on it causing two of the back panels to break off and smashing the rear of the monitor (sob!)
So original intention was to repair, but I never knew it would be so difficult to get part's in the UK (even tougher was finding a system16 for part's) so the project was shelved until I got round to doing it. I know people do not like seeing old cabinet's ripped apart but I thought the "mame" cabinet would be a good alternative and that would mean I could also use it for other driving games thus prolonging the life of the cabinet.

I plan to add more pic's to this as it moves along but I do have a few here for you to look at. This first one is so crap looking, but I had to use something to set up the hardware and windows:

Not the most flattering of looks im sure you will agree.

After trying to source a monitor which was second hand I stumbled upon The Pentranic Group, which unbeknown to me at the time was only twenty minutes away from home, so after calling them and speaking to a very nice engineer called Harry (cheer's mate) I opted for a tri-sync 19"

Much nicer, starting to look the part at least. I believe the original was bigger than 19" but this fitted perfectly, the only difference being the mounting points on the frame being at the top/bottom instead of the sides. I have since hooked up the coin mech and marquee, added the bezel but still need to take pic's and im waiting on an order to hookup the control panel but other than that it's not far away from completion. I need to also look at software to run the games, undecided as to what frontend to use also. Incidently the only surviving bit's are the Rev-A PCB (not sure what to do with that yet as I do not even know if it works)

Regards.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:30:20 am by TheDriver »

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
Re: The Outrun Upright project!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 04:42:05 pm »
Hello,

NICE PROJECT  :cheers: OUT RUN  :notworthy: a great game

lot's of nagging from my girl to get rid of it

as usual  :P

I believe the original was bigger than 19"

the original monitor is 19" so, you are on track  ;)

good continuation  :cheers:

Hornpipe2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2014, 02:09:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 05:15:30 pm »
Lovely, Outrun is my favorite arcade game.  This article is somewhat over-the-top poetic but is an interesting look at the game (music):  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_85/481-Runnin-Down-an-Out-Run-Dream

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 07:01:41 pm »
great! good luck with the project!

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2021, 05:02:15 pm
  • Scratch-built Guitar - Under Construction!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:50:31 am »
Should turn out to be an interesting project. OutRun was one of my favorite games even if I wasn't that good at it.

According to the upright manual, (download it here if you haven't already) it originally had a 20" monitor. Why Sega had to use odd (even) sizes we'll probably never know.

Do you have a plan for interfacing the wheel and pedals yet?
Brevity is not my strong suit.

arcadefever

• Offline Offline
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 10:44:44 am »
wowwwwwww,  20"  screen ...i have a out run cab, and never notice it  :P

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 08:30:01 am »
Quote from: Hornpipe2
Lovely, Outrun is my favorite arcade game.  This article is somewhat over-the-top poetic but is an interesting look at the game (music):  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_85/481-Runnin-Down-an-Out-Run-Dream

Intresting article, it made good reading thanks.

Quote from: Crowquill
Do you have a plan for interfacing the wheel and pedals yet?

Had to ask in the main forum on how to do this so I took U-Rebelscum's advice and ordered an A-pac from ultimarc, should get it monday or tuesday. I still have the Original manual which was lying on the outside at the back of the cab when I found it, a bit water damaged but of course if I had actualy read it I would have noticed it was 20", never mind!!!!  I very nearly was talked into getting a 29" when I was at Pentranic (which incidently is an alladin's cave I could easily have spent all day there!) which was for a Namco cabinet but could'nt justify having another monitor lying waiting for another project for ages!

Thanks for the kind word's guy's.

Regards.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 06:28:28 am »
Just a quick update on the specs seeing as I have not posted them:

Mainboard: Gigabyte K8 Combo-Z
CPU: Athlon64 3000+
RAM: Corsair DDR2 512mb x2
GFX: Nvidia 6200 512mb (for now, I do have an ArcadeVGA but have yet to use it)
HDD: Samsung 250gb SATA (not that I need that much space but it was spare)
DVDrom: Lite-on DVDRW
Network: Netgear WPN111 usb adapter
Sound: 2 x stereo speaker's (seperate subwoofer installed in bottom of cab)
OS: WindowsXP pro (SP2 + up to date Windows Update, stripped of anything not needed)

Thats more than adequate to run the games I want on it. My A-pac arrived this morning so I will have a look at that sometime this week but I am back to work from today so probably will not get to it till the weekend.

Regards.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 02:54:39 pm »
Could'nt wait till the weekend and wired up the steering wheel to the A-pac, no problem's with steering but I do have problems with the accelrate pedal & brake pedal, not sure I have them wired right, they work but not properly even after calibrating them. Has anyone wired pedal's to an A-pac? Below shows the steering wheel pot with wiring, I don't know where to put the brake pot, or accel pot. I would have thought the 2 outside wires from each pot would go *brake > down (on apac)* *accel > up* then the middle wire like the wheel to the 5k capacitor?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:23:46 am by TheDriver »

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 04:17:02 pm »
Another small update. Got rid of my keyboard hack and wired things to the apac (makes more sense seeing as the inputs are there!) so tonight I wired the coin door lights, still using the original bulbs but I plan to swap for LED's, also wired the mech on one side, I'l do the other side later. Wired all the control panel so now it can be started with the start button and the wheel and hi/low stick is finally usable (pic will be posted later as I am in the process of putting the plastic shroud back on, taking a break to write this!) also a pic of the marquee unlit and one with the novamatrix on.

Regards.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 05:30:08 pm »
Phew, that's the cp all sorted for the moment. I have had enough of the cab for now so im calling it a night, more tommorow.

arcadefever

• Offline Offline
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 05:50:09 pm »
good progress  :cheers:

I will like to know where i can found, the outrun map  ??? the map overlay that goes on the front of the monitor ...

i want to pimp my cab  :P

by the way, i have a Ferrari logo "EXTRA" that will go perfectly on your steering wheel  ;) if you wan it. PM me your address  :D

Fred

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 05:51:56 pm by arcadefever »

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 06:28:41 am »
Likewise, I have yet to find a good pic of it. Only came across one cabinet with it on it, also has a red bezel instead of silver/grey.

PM sent.

Regards.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 04:18:28 pm »
The inside of the cab, just doing some housekeeping with the wires, I feel it's slightly untidy. As you can see I need to mount the HDD on a bracket and I want the PSU on the bottom away from the shelf, this will happen in due course. I decided to remove the DVD-rom because if I really need to get files to it I can just do it via wi-fi seeing as it's there. All I need to do control wise is link the pedals to the apac but I am still unsure on how to do this. :(

Also a big thankyou to arcadefever who is kindly sending the wheel badge to me, many thanks. Just wanted to "publicly" thank you for this and show my gratitude. :)

Regards.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 04:47:49 pm »
I may have missed it, but how are you getting MAME to control the vibration motor for the steering wheel?

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 02:51:56 am »
I may have missed it, but how are you getting MAME to control the vibration motor for the steering wheel?

Nope you never missed it! I have yet to look at the vibe motor, it is there and the wiring seems intact but im unsure if it works or not. I will post for help when I get to it because im not sure it can even be hooked up to the PC or not (would be nice if it was though)

Regards.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 04:57:22 am »
Another small update, managed to figure out how the pedal's are connected to the apac, middle sensor wire to the capacitor then the left wire of each pot to up & one to down, the third wire on each pot does'nt seem to get used (providing I have done it right) seems to work anyway, although I did notice on the calibration screen the crosshair goes fully up when the accel pedal is pressed but the crosshair only goes halfway down when the brake is pressed (does'nt affect gameplay, still function's)

Coin door light's but you can't see them well because of the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- camera and stupid flash!

Again you can't see well enough but the start button has a light, I never knew this, I did wonder what the extra two contacts were for not realy thinking that L+ & L- was a light at first (I have only seen classic pushbutton's before) so I hooked a 5v & com wire and it still work's.

Just a shot of the nova matrix & speaker's for no reason other than it was on the camera!

I will post pic's tonight of the cab running when it's a bit darker.

Regards.

P.s - just noticed from the preview that the forum replaces swear word's with other phrases!!!

Stobe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 05:08:05 pm
  • Don't make a fuss, I'll have your Spam!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 10:43:25 am »
I did notice on the calibration screen the crosshair goes fully up when the accel pedal is pressed but the crosshair only goes halfway down when the brake is pressed (does'nt affect gameplay, still function's)

Brakes?  Who uses brakes?

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 11:21:01 am »

Nope you never missed it! I have yet to look at the vibe motor, it is there and the wiring seems intact but im unsure if it works or not. I will post for help when I get to it because im not sure it can even be hooked up to the PC or not (would be nice if it was though)

Regards.

http://www.geocities.com/finalburnff/

Ninten-doh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2017, 10:37:18 am
  • I promise sweetie, this is my last cab purchase
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 01:47:29 pm »
Not sure if you guys were looking for a scan of the map, but you can find it here (2mb file, takes a sec or two to load):  http://edeveaud.free.fr/tmp/outrun_Decal.jpg

Great project BTW!   :cheers:

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 03:42:35 pm »

Regards.

Any ideas how to wire it up to the PC? Never noticed that final burn did FF.

Not sure if you guys were looking for a scan of the map, but you can find it here (2mb file, takes a sec or two to load):  http://edeveaud.free.fr/tmp/outrun_Decal.jpg

Great project BTW!   :cheers:

Exactly what I am trying to get a hold of, fantastic find, extremely grateful.  :cheers:

Pic of the cab running outrun, still trying to work out how to make the hi/lo stick work properly.

And a pic of the original seal on the monitor bezel.

You can't make it out too well but it is there!!!
Regards.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 04:33:28 pm »

Regards.

Any ideas how to wire it up to the PC? Never noticed that final burn did FF.

Me personally, no. Here is a link of a super neat project involving interfacing a virtua racing force feedback system to a pc. This guys basic theory is that you hack the guts of (in your case) a pc steering wheel and incorporate them into the original outrun CP. You have to deal with matching voltages, current draw limits, and various other electrical and mechanical design challenges. I guess my first advice would be to play with final burn along with a pc steering wheel with force feedback and see how it works.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 03:21:45 am »
I will look into how to get something wired up, if I can't use the original motor I do have a force feedback wheel I can (and have!!!) hack (ed!) up.

Not much to update on except I have got round to putting in the ArcadeVGA and am realy surprised by the difference, maybe just me but it looks so much better. The ATI is identical to the Nvidia I took out bar the onboard ram (512mb) as opposed to the 256mb the AVGA has. No noticeable speed difference. Also wired a classic pushbutton as the power on button instead of the pc case power button's, the motherboard support's holding the button down to logoff and power down the PC which is handy, also wired a button for the "service" option wheen running a game so I can set dipswitches etc... going to put these behind the coin door on a bracket of some sort to save me drilling holes in the cab (which I would rather not do)

Scoured the forum's (and google) for a hi/low gear lever fix but have yet to find one that work's. Unless I recompile mame I am not yet sure how this will get sorted. Also going to look at frontends which will work well with the steering wheel, Mala or atomicFE look like good candidates atm.

Later.

Regards.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 08:22:11 am »
I don't remember for sure, but I am assuming that the outrun shifter works like the Pole Position shifter - it stays in the up or down position holding the switch in the whole time.
If that is the case, can you snap a few pics of the underside of the shifter asembly? Maybe we can all brainstorm to give you a few ideas.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 09:10:08 am »
I don't remember for sure, but I am assuming that the outrun shifter works like the Pole Position shifter - it stays in the up or down position holding the switch in the whole time.
If that is the case, can you snap a few pics of the underside of the shifter asembly? Maybe we can all brainstorm to give you a few ideas.

Pretty sure it's the same type of lever, just a microswitch at the bottom. Open when in lo gear & Closed when in High gear, but mame does'nt work that way from what I can see, bit of a bummer realy.

Sorry for the bad quality pic's, using an old Digicam.

Regards.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 09:26:36 am »
Okay, I finally got outrun working in mame. Mame, uses buttons 3 and four for shifting, 3 being low gear, 4 being high gear. Oh hell, this one is EASY.

All you need is to wire the existing switch as NO. Now, add another switch to the wiring - it doesn't matter where, just throw one in - you'll never touch it. The catch is that you wire it NC and assign it to be the high gear. Now when the gear shifter is in low, it will be in low in the game. As soon as you move the stick up, it will sense the always open high swtich, thus shifting gears. When you go to low again, the low switch overrides the high switch. Try it out in mame to see what I'm talking about.

The only catch to this is that that specific switch will always be active when the pc is on, so either make it an innocent keystroke, or wire a kill switch in line that you can flip it off if you need to do something outside of MAME
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:28:09 am by shardian »

arcadefever

• Offline Offline
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 10:20:11 am »
 :cheers: nice progress  :o

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 03:32:16 pm »
Okay, I finally got outrun working in mame. Mame, uses buttons 3 and four for shifting, 3 being low gear, 4 being high gear. Oh hell, this one is EASY.

All you need is to wire the existing switch as NO. Now, add another switch to the wiring - it doesn't matter where, just throw one in - you'll never touch it. The catch is that you wire it NC and assign it to be the high gear. Now when the gear shifter is in low, it will be in low in the game. As soon as you move the stick up, it will sense the always open high swtich, thus shifting gears. When you go to low again, the low switch overrides the high switch. Try it out in mame to see what I'm talking about.

The only catch to this is that that specific switch will always be active when the pc is on, so either make it an innocent keystroke, or wire a kill switch in line that you can flip it off if you need to do something outside of MAME

I have been trying this all night and just cannot get it to work, as you have said it work's fine with the keyboard but I just cannot get it to work with the lever, it stays stuck in high gear!!!

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 09:00:15 am »
After trying all night to get the lever working I have decided to just put a microswitch at the opposite side from the one that is already there, this way it will generate a keystroke and should work (I hope!) that's the theory anyway so I will get that done this weekend. Other news is the wheel centre badge has arrived from "Arcadefever" so many thank's to him, should make the cab look a bit more complete. Also moved from mame32 to the command line mame now I understand how to use the flags, run's much better, I was getting music stuttering running through mame32 even with triplebuffer off. As for frontends I am not really any closer in finding one that suit's what I want, need to do a bit more research on them.

Regards.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 09:04:10 am by TheDriver »

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 10:25:06 am »
After trying all night to get the lever working I have decided to just put a microswitch at the opposite side from the one that is already there, this way it will generate a keystroke and should work (I hope!) that's the theory anyway so I will get that done this weekend. Other news is the wheel centre badge has arrived from "Arcadefever" so many thank's to him, should make the cab look a bit more complete. Also moved from mame32 to the command line mame now I understand how to use the flags, run's much better, I was getting music stuttering running through mame32 even with triplebuffer off. As for frontends I am not really any closer in finding one that suit's what I want, need to do a bit more research on them.

Regards.

Well I was gonna recommend putting a switch up high, but  from your picture I wasn't sure if you would have room.
Just curious, what kind of encoder are you using? Maybe you could ask the provider for help with why it won't recognize multiple button presses. My solution shouldn't be a problem, or else playing NBA Jam and holding the turbo down all the time wouldn't work so well. ;)

Stobe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2007, 02:18:36 pm »
Do a search for recompiled mame related to pole position.  I remember someone (LeapinLew?) doing this for a pole position shifter, which I believe is mechanically the same.

arcadefever

• Offline Offline
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 07:31:05 pm »

:cheers: Glad you like it !!!!!

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2007, 09:48:01 am »
Another microswitch did not work  :cry: changed button 3 & 4 in the player controls part of the mame option's, then the "control's to this game" I changed to the high gear button (4 in mame ) I assumed it would use the button stroke as a signal for going to high gear but it does not, it seem's like it still need's only one microswitch to read  :P

Realy begining to confuse me & frustrate me. I have looked for the pole position post about this but none of them seem to have a definitive answer.

Back to the drawing board.  :angry:

Stobe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2007, 10:07:25 am »
Give this link a try.  Its real old, but the source change might still work.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=2579.0

Scroll down to Mr. Do's reply and look at his source change.

I have to do the same thing soon for a PP cab, so let me know if it works :) 

(Gee, thanks a lot Stobe, NOT!)

-Stobe

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2007, 02:27:24 pm »
Thanks for the link Stobe but as of 20 minutes ago.............

SUCCESS!

The solution was one of those thing's that are staring you in the face but you cannot see!

It was sharidan's post that did it in the end! instead of wiring the existing one to NO and the new one NC, wire both as NO and wire them to the same point on the A-pac, then position the other microswitch on the other side so the Rubber shaft (ooer!) touches the switch, so you have two switches but only one switch is registered on the A-pac which is what the Outrun driver is expecting.

I have to say thankyou to all that input'ed on this one, was driving me insane!!!!

Not much left to do now but figure out a frontend/menu of some sort and to power the PC and the Monitor on at the same time (Monitor is currently on it's own plug point)

Regards.

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2007, 05:23:02 am »
Intrestingly I came across this line in the "segaorun.c" driver:

PORT_BIT( 0x10, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_BUTTON1 ) PORT_NAME("Gear Shift") PORT_CODE(KEYCODE_SPACE) PORT_TOGGLE

Anyone know what would need to be taken out/put in to make it run off the one microswitch?

Stobe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2007, 08:39:20 am »
Again, I'm no expert when it comes to the source, but here is a note in the polepos source

Change POLEPOS_TOGGLE to 0 if you are using the original gearshift.

Not sure if that helps, but someone smarter than I should pipe in anyhow.

-Stobe

TheDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2007, 07:40:35 am »
Again, I'm no expert when it comes to the source, but here is a note in the polepos source

Change POLEPOS_TOGGLE to 0 if you are using the original gearshift.

Not sure if that helps, but someone smarter than I should pipe in anyhow.

-Stobe

Having a look at both driver's to see if I can edit it then compile them to test, not much of a programmer myself but I can vaguely remember a few thing's from way, way back when I could!!!!

Not much to update on the cab except I got an extension cable that power's everything on at the same time:

Regards.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 09:18:12 am »
Intrestingly I came across this line in the "segaorun.c" driver:

PORT_BIT( 0x10, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_BUTTON1 ) PORT_NAME("Gear Shift") PORT_CODE(KEYCODE_SPACE) PORT_TOGGLE

Anyone know what would need to be taken out/put in to make it run off the one microswitch?
I can't help you on the code, but you've got me interested in looking at the source.  Glad to see you got past your shifter issue.  Regarding the FE, I like Mala.  Lots of options and easy to learn.  I really wish they would mass produce those power strips in a U.S. format.  They are still quite spendy here.  Good luck finishing up.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 07:59:33 pm »
So did you add a microswitch to your shifter, or did it already have two microswitches?