Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [motorised monitor rotation begins]  (Read 54681 times)

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *marquee light installed* ]
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2007, 04:33:18 pm »

Today's task was to get the top panel on the cab, along with mounting the marquee light! Again, because I want the cab to be easily taken apart and put back together I decided to use bolts instead of glues/screws.  This time, the bolts are going through the top of the panel, rather than the cab's sides. To do this I attached a baton onto each side panel, then drilled through from the top...

With the top panel done, I could easily add the panel for the marquee light! :)

Stuff left to do before painting: back panels and speaker shelf.

2 questions:-

- What do you guys do for catching all the inserted coins? Do you build some sort of "coin bucket" or do you just stick a cardboard box in the bottom of the cab?

- I'm looking for a good sounding 2:1 speaker system (w/woofer), that has a headphone port (that kills main speakers when headphones attached), and has the volume control on a remote lead (so I can mount it on top of the cab).  Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers!  :cheers:

superbigjay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2007, 06:40:51 pm »
Hello Jimbo!

your project is looking good  :)

- What do you guys do for catching all the inserted coins? Do you build some sort of "coin bucket" or do you just stick a cardboard box in the bottom of the cab?

In my cas, I bought an used over/under coin door from happ.  It comes with a platic bucket that can hold roughly 4000 quarter.
You can basically used any kind of container/box to do this...

- I'm looking for a good sounding 2:1 speaker system (w/woofer), that has a headphone port (that kills main speakers when headphones attached), and has the volume control on a remote lead (so I can mount it on top of the cab).  Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm using Logitech Z2300 speaker and I am pretty satisfied with their performance.
They are certified THX and can supply 200W RMS of power  ;D

The cab is located in the living room and I never crank the volume more than 50%...

Jay

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2007, 06:36:39 pm »

superbigjay... cheers for the suggestions, I've sent you a PM.

I got the rear/top angled panel done today (does it have a name??). Again, I'm using bolts to secure the panel rather than glue/screws.  First off, I glued the batons to the side panel (same process as the cab's top panel in the previous post)...

Once the batons were glued and screwed, I drilled the holes for the bolts and hey presto, the panel fits nice!  I had to do an angled cut on the bottom edge of the panel so it sits 90 degrees flush to the "soon to be built" back panel...

Marquee retainers came today. Oh, and I ordered the grey (not the bronze) tinted glass for the monitor today. I should have it by the end of the week! :)

Oooh and I almost forgot: T-molding samples came (free - courtesy of a guy who sells them on ebay in the UK).  Looks like my 18mm ply will go better with the 11/16 molding rather than the 3/4 inch - in fact the 11/16 only just overlaps the edges.

There will be a post soon regarding the theme, artwork, and name of the cab, so stay tuned! :)

Oh, and there's been progress with the motorised monitor rotation too.. more details soon!

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2007, 06:42:03 pm »
There will be a post soon regarding the theme, artwork, and name of the cab, so stay tuned! :)

Oh, and there's been progress with the motorised monitor rotation too.. more details soon!

TEASE.   :cheers:

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2007, 08:01:33 pm »

Metaphorically speaking, that's the money shot for me :P

Franco

« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2007, 09:42:13 pm »
Theres nothing better than looking at a quality constructed cab and yours screams Chippendale to me  :applaud:

(and no, not ghey strippers or cartoon vermin before anyone asks!  :P)

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2007, 02:04:14 pm »
Hi again!  Thanks for all the positive comments!  :cheers:

Had a good few hours working on the cab today! :)  Only a few more bits of construction left now, then its sanding/painting time! Today I got the lockable back panel and top air vents done, and made a start on the speaker shelf.

Got my locks from Andy at Ultimarc, but could find no fixing instructions so I made it up as I went along. It was pretty easy in the end. I drilled with a 19mm flat bit, then routed out a bit for the tiny mounting plate that comes with the lock. Check out my messy routing! Damnit I'm good! ;)

Nice and snug on the visible side...

Latch on the inside...

The lock went on the top of the back panel, and I'm keeping the panel on by attaching a small ridge that hangs over the bottom edge and keeps the panel from sliding off...

Next up, I cut 3 exhaust vents in the top/angled panel again using my 19mm flat bit for the rounded corners, and my jig for the straight bits.  Alright so they're not 100% straight but its good enough for me! :)

So the back of the cab is finished pending 2 x 12mm intake fans at the bottom, but I'll wait till I know where the motherboard is being placed before I cut holes for those...

OK, I'm giving away a hint about the cab's theme here... For the speaker shelf I'm going to cut the speaker grills into shuriken stars. :)  I drew the design out on paper, made a template, then drew then onto the shelf from that...

The cab's gonna be black, with red t-molding, and I'm thinking small red borders around the shuriken speaker holes to help them stand out.

Other stuff that's happened over the past few days...

- Tinted monitor glass should arrive tomorrow!
- I have the primer and black varnish to paint the cab with!
- I've ordered my 2.1 speakers: Logitech X-210 (handy remote volume and headphone socket)
- Fellow BYOAC member Franco is helping me out with a custom drill-bit to drive the motorised monitor rotation

Finally, done a bit of research on what to use for a computer. I want a dedicated sound card, as I hate on-board sound.  I've looked at the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE PCI but it's 7.1 and may be overkill for my 2.1 setup - but I can't find much less than that!

Anyone have recommendations for sound cards that are good with mame/emulators?

More soon...

Cheers  :cheers:

Franco

Glad to be able to help  ;)

So i see you got of your arse and did something in the end then this afternoon  :P (which is more than can be said for me to be honest!)  :)

Anyways, its all looking good bud, loving the shuriken stars  8)

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
So, we are all wondering... is it a Shinobi or Shadow Dancer theme for the cab?

Looking good Jimbo...

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
looking nice! 

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *painting started* ]
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2007, 07:30:14 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys, its keeping me keen!  Nope, its not a Shinobi or Shadow Dancer theme, its a custom theme, not based on a particular game. All will soon be revealed! :)

Painting time today! I made a start on the cab's front (not the sides yet as I haven't grooved for t-molding, and not the removable panels yet either)...

First off, I filled all the screw holes, and a few other bits that needed it, like the cutout for the usb hub where I went a little jig-crazy... ;)

After a good sand, I applied 2 coats of waterbased coloured varnish primer with a foam brush, lightly sanding between coats. This stuff dries in an hour and doesn't smell at all. It didn't take long to get the front panel primed and ready for the black top coat...

I used a foam brush again for the top coats (no brush or roller marks! :)).  3 coats of black satin waterbased coloured varnish. I didn't sand between coats, but instead rubbed it down with a scouring pad.

First coat drying (took about an hour)...

All done. Very happy with the results! ;D

Now I can fit the coin door and the USB ports!

Monitor glass didn't arrive, but speakers did and they sound great :)  I'll probably mount the remote volume control (and headphone socket) under the control panel with Velcro. Also bought a SB Audigy SE PCI card for sound. I'm gradually getting all the PC bits in.

If I get time tomorrow I'll paint everything else apart from the side panels as I don't yet have the slot cutting bit for my router, and I want to rout for t-molding before painting them.

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:35:31 pm by Jimbo »

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *painting started* ]
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2007, 12:45:33 am »
Wow, after seeing the mannequin in the background, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what you come up with the design! I can't imagine what you have in mind, but it must be a doozey! I just hope you have a female dummy laying around back there somewhere.  ;D  :laugh2:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *crt rotation progress* ]
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2007, 08:15:38 am »
LOL yeah, the mannequin... unfortunately that's not part of the design... except maybe I could mount one of the arms and get it to pop out and ask for coins to play ;)

Anyway, quick update:

Speaker holes cut! I think they're gonna look wicked when all painted up. :)

Received the custom drill spindle to help with the rotation of the monitor (thanks Franco :)). So far I'm heading towards the rope pulley system (first suggested by Cornchip). If you look at the attached pic you can see what I've got planned. I'm planning on using a slot-cutting bit and routing a groove all around the edge of the circular frame, this is where the string will sit, and  (hopefully) prevent it from falling off during rotation. To enable the frame to turn I plan to glue part of the string to it (again see pic).

The idea with the pulley system is that as one end of the string winds up, the other unwinds. I'm hoping this will all work fine and the motor/string will be powerful enough to turn the 21" crt... I guess we'll see! :P  If anyone can see any potential problems with this setup, please let me know! :)  Someone I know is helping with the motor circuit, and I'll hopefully have that back in a few days so will post more info and pics soon.

Other stuff...  ordered t-molding :)  Still getting computer bits, monitor glass still not arrived (hopefully today/tomorrow).  It's all slowly coming together!

I should be starting the control panel soon... just reading up on the LED Wiz... not sure I can resist having illuminated buttons! :)

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2007, 07:12:50 pm »
Hi Jimbo

Interesting mechanism for the rotation you've come up with. It may just work. All I'd be worried about would be the cord fraying from friction against the rotating plate over time. What sort of cord are you thinking of using?

Anyway, looking forward to the next installment.

bfauska

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2007, 07:57:35 pm »
Looks like a functional plan. The cord shouldn't actually be subject to any friction, it isn't running across anything, the disk and string move together. If there's friction it will be at the spindle if the string rubs against cheeks. I don't think it'll be a problem though.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2007, 09:27:14 am »
looks good..
You may want to use nylon string, very hard to break.
How do you plan to control the motor?

Cornchip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2023, 10:23:11 am
  • Thinking up more crap....
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2007, 02:30:22 pm »
   Projects looking great.  :applaud:

You might want to look for Nylon for your choice of rope/cord. It has a little stretch to it. If your rope doesn't wind up evenly (over laps) your setup will need to have some compliancy. What feeds off one side has to wrap back on the other (that means the rope in between is at a fixed length....and one overlapped pulley might cause a 'side loading' that could damage your drill mount).

Having thought of this....a pulley (left and right handed) with a threaded groove would prevent this from happening (if it's even a problem).

Cornchip

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *speaker shelf/tinted glass mounted* ]
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2007, 06:17:01 pm »
Hey all,

I'm gonna go see if I can get hold of some nylon string... thanks for the suggestion! Part of me is excited about trying out the rotating monitor, and part of me is dreading it, incase something goes wrong and I have to go back to square one!  I'll keep you all posted as I progress.

In the mean time, I've managed to fit the speaker shelf using tee-nuts and bolting from behind, so the front/visible side of the shelf has no bolts showing...

Also, the tinted monitor glass finally arrived.  Looks nice :)

I think I'm going to make a coin bucket to sit under the coin mech. Apart from that I'm ready to rout for t-molding and paint the rest of the cab.  Should hopefully get that done this week then I can move the cab indoors and start building the computer and the control panel.

Really looking forward to building the cp! :)

More soon...

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *speaker shelf/tinted glass mounted* ]
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2007, 07:37:06 pm »
Looks great so far!

:cheers:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *various stuff - more pics!* ]
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2007, 02:10:14 pm »
Its been a busy few days here, but managed to get a bit more done!  I bought a new router (the previous £9.99 one I had from B&Q finally died on me) and managed to get hold of the slot-cutting bits, so was good to go on cutting the groove for t-molding.

First up, I clamped the two side panels together and sanded a bit to get them the same (in future I'll know to use a flush trim bit for cutting the sides!).  You'll notice the small bar I attached for the monitor glass to sit on.. I figured it would make it more safer, and it actually makes installing and removing the glass much easier...

So I unpacked the router (ooh its nice) and fit the slot-cutting bits, then made a test cut on an 18mm bit of spare ply and hammered in a sample of t-molding just to make sure everything was ok. The measuring guides on my router are great, and really helped me to get a centre cut on the edge of the wood. :)

Routing the groove was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be!  Just a case of guiding the router along the perimeter of the panels.  5 mins later, both sides done!

For the rotating monitor setup I'm attempting, I needed to cut a groove for some nylon string to wrap around the circular frame that the CRT sits in. As I only had a 1.5mm slot-cutting bit I made two cuts so the resulting width of the groove is 3mm. Hopefully that will be wide enough...

The other bit of work I got done was painting the red borders on the "shuriken" ninja star-shaped speaker grills.  Since I'm pretty clumsy with my hands sometimes I enlisted the wife's help... She first drew a pencil mark about 4mm wider than the edges of the grills...

We used some red enamel plasti-kote paint (from B&Q)...

It all went smoothly and I think the end result looks great, and will go nicely with my red t-molding (which just turned up today btw) :)

Other stuff... I painted the outside of the side panels (after routing for t-molding) and now I just have to paint the inside of the panels and I can move the cab indoors (hooray!).

More coming up in the next few days hopefully!

Cheers  :cheers:

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *various bits done - more pics* ]
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2007, 08:13:30 pm »
Nice detail on the speaker openings - any plans to put mesh behind it, or are you leaving it open?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *t-molding done and cab moved indoors!* ]
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2007, 01:24:51 pm »
T-molding on!  It was a pain to put on - some of the varnish had leaked over the side panel and dripped into the groove in places - but I managed it in the end!  Now all the main construction and painting work is done I've moved it into its "home" indoors, and finally got to see it in decent light! :)

Still to do: -

- add mesh to speaker grills and rear top exhaust vents (cheers for suggestion Havok!)
- cut holes and mount intake fans on bottom rear panel
- build control panel!
- finish artwork and send off to get printed
- mount speakers/marquee light
- build PC (i have all the bits now)
- probably lots of other bits I can't think of right now :)

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *t-molding on + cab moved indoors!* ]
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2007, 04:00:36 pm »
Excellent work on your project.

I do have one small complaint though - it breaks my heart you make such an awesome cab, and then don't go with an arcade authentic coin door.

Still, it looks great.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2007, 05:13:47 pm »
Hmm yeah, bit late now I suppose... but I remember before I couldn't find a decent looking one in the UK, plus the one I bought can accept virtually any coin which I thought might come in useful.

Franco

« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2007, 05:49:28 pm »
Good work buddy ;)

Shame I didnt know you a couple of months before, you could have had my 4 player over under door.  :(

Still looks the nuts tho  :)

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2007, 09:43:29 am »
This project is looking great!
I like the speaker openings.. cool idea.
On my first project, I got paint in the t molding slots too, it was a real pain to install the t molding in those clogged spots.
My brother had a great idea for that for our second project. We cut narrow strips of thin cardboard, from 12 pack coke can cartons.
We then inserted the strips in the slots when we primed and painted. It worked out great, just dont leave the strips in the slots overnight. They may get stuck..

(Edited spelling)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 09:45:31 am by DaOld Man »

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *control panel started* ]
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2008, 11:19:54 am »
Great idea on the cardboard to prevent paint getting into the t-molding groove... now if only I'd have thought of that! :P

The last few days has seen various bits and pieces done on the cab.  First off I wanted to hide the monitor's metal frame. In this pic you can only see the bottom edge - that's due to me taking a bad picture!

...so I bought a few sheets of 3mm thick black craft foam (called "Funky Foam" in Cross's) and cut them into 4 arc-shaped pieces then attached Velcro and stuck them onto the circular frame holding the monitor.  I did it this way as it means it will be easy to take out the monitor in the future should it need repairing...

All attached and the frame is completely hidden under the tinted glass! :)

Another small job I did was attaching the speakers to the speaker panel. Again, velcro was my friend! :)  I used some cheapo aluminium mesh, spray-painted it black, then velcro'd it to the panel, then put velcro on the speakers.  Works a charm. :)

I started work on the control panel at last!  First job was to make the box (I still have to drill holes in the bottom to attach to the cab and allow cables to pass through)...

I spent quite a bit of time designing the control panel. Although I designed the cab to have swappable panels, I still want one panel to play most games. I'll make other "dedicated" panels later.

I went for the following controls on the "main" panel: -

2 x Ultimarc U360s
6 x black pushbuttons per player
P1 and P2 start buttons
PAUSE and EXIT red admin buttons
2 x TT2 Spinners from Groovy Game Gear, with Token tops and 5" detachable Mini-racer wheels
1 x 3" Happs Trackball (red translucent - I plan to illuminate it)

I placed the spinners on a 30 degree angled panel at the front of the CP. They are directly between the joystick and buttons, and on my test panel they didn't seem to get in the way.  I'll be putting artwork on the top of the panel, and on the angled section and on the front.  The artwork on the top of the panel will be covered by 4mm plexi (you can see in the diagrams I am routing out for the controls and the plexi).

On to building it!  First I drew out the plans on the top panel...

Then drilled the holes for the buttons, joysticks and trackball...

That's as far as I got with the CP so far, but will hopefully get it fully built and wired up over the next week.  The last thing I did was to tweak both U360 sticks. I decided I like the stronger spring, the longer shaft and the round restrictor plate to limit the throw.  I swapped the orientation of the PCB also, as I'm mounting the joysticks vertically rather than horizontally...

More soon! :)

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2008, 12:04:14 pm »
Great job...
Frickin' sweet..
 :applaud:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2008, 09:02:10 am »
Quick update... this project is not forgotten!  I'm just waiting on my GGG order :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2008, 09:09:33 am »
Looks great so far.  When you get around to your rotating monitor setup - specifically interfacing the motor with the computer and your front end as well as placement of the stop switches please please please go into as much detail as possible and try your best to keep the explanations simple.  I have been reading a ton of threads around here and none of it makes much sense to me.

Keep up the great work!   :cheers:

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2008, 11:45:07 am »
Cracking work mate  :) (I feel a bit like Wallace saying that!)

I bet the temptation is there to chuck a couple of buttons in there and haphazardly wire it up whilst you are waiting on your other parts just for test *cough* purposes.  ;)

bfauska

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2008, 03:56:11 pm »
This project is looking great!
I like the speaker openings.. cool idea.
On my first project, I got paint in the t molding slots too, it was a real pain to install the t molding in those clogged spots.
My brother had a great idea for that for our second project. We cut narrow strips of thin cardboard, from 12 pack coke can cartons.
We then inserted the strips in the slots when we primed and painted. It worked out great, just dont leave the strips in the slots overnight. They may get stuck..

(Edited spelling)

That is a clever idea, just be sure not to use Pepsi boxes, not that they wouldn't work, but I can't think of anything good to do with the cans that come inside the box... dump them out and recycle them I guess.  >:D

On a serious note, everything is looking great. I am interested to see how you like the spinners mounted there for non-steering-wheel games. It seems like they should be nice and out of the way, but the angle may be uncomfortable for extended play times.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *more progress* ]
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2008, 05:41:45 pm »
It's been a while so here's an update. I've been busy as hell these last few weeks, but managed to find time to work a bit more on the cab....

First off I cut holes and routed out for the 2 x 120mm PC case fans that I wanted to mount on the cab's bottom back panel. Word of advice to other first time builders: Don't do what I did and just 'assumed' it would be easy to cut and rout the holes out after the cab was built. Bad idea.  I had real problems fitting the router inside the cab, and only just had enough room to make the cuts. Trouble was, at the start I didn't really know which fans I would be using, but on my next project (don't tell the wife :P ) I'll figure all the little things like this out before I cut a single piece of wood!

The two fans I chose (link) are quiet as a mouse. I am running them at 7V, using the special voltage divider cables that came with them. Running at 12V was a little too loud, but 7V is lovely :) One of the fans blows right onto the processor, and the other keeps the internal HD running at a nice temperature. Processor is running at a cool 30 degrees, and the PC is virtually silent when the cab is switched on, so I'm very happy.

As you can see, not much space for my router in there (checkout the lovely accurate edges too, lol). You can see I also cut holes for the kettle plug connector, and the RJ45 network plug...

Yay, they fit lovely!

I bought some 99p black plastic fan guards for the outside too. Bargain!

Moving on, I next had to do my FIRST EVER bit of soldering! I bought an Intellipanel (which is fantastic btw), mounted it to the inside of the cab, cut the plug off the end, and wired it up to a kettle-plug connector.  It ain't pretty, but it works!  In hindsight I think all I was missing was some slightly larger heatshrink; I had to cut a small slit in the ends of the stuff I had so it would fit round the larger mains cables...

I also wanted to have the cab turn on through a pushbutton on the top of the cab, so as I was getting a bit cocky and fresh with the soldering iron, I wired up a pushbutton to the POWER-SW lead that connects to the motherboard.  Bingo - the cab's power is now all controlled through a single button. :)

Next, on to the control panel.  I found a good deal on ebay for 4 x 50-pin SCSI extension cables, so I cut one in half (one half connects to the IPAC-4 [P1,P2,P3] and the other half will connect to the controls inside the control panel. THANK GOD the cables inside were colour coded! :D  It took me a while to wire up the IPAC-4 to the cable, and I still have another cable to go (which will connect to P4 on the IPAC along with all connectors on the OPTIPAC I have. I'll be mounting both the IPAC and OPTIPAC inside the cab very soon...

I finally got the CP lid fully built, with the angled bit on the front that houses the 2 x TT2 spinners. I've actually got the plexi cut for the CP top too (with a nice bevelled bit around the trackball hole), but its at a friends right now who is using it as a template for the artwork. Today I finally test-mounted all the controls and I'm very pleased the spinners don't get in the way of the joysticks or buttons. The angle of them feels comfortable, but time will tell whether they will be fine for extended play. I stood there for a good 10 minutes though and felt no discomfort, so that's promising at least...

The mini-racers ROCK! :D  I'm SO GLAD I mounted them at a slight angle, it really does make all the difference.  I've also got enough room to reach all the buttons, and even work the joystick, so its smiles all around! :)

Other bits and bobs... I've cut holes in the top panel for the power-on pushbutton, volume control, and monitor controls (for the Hantarex Polo/3), and mounted all the stuff with velcro which works great.  I'll be re-cutting the rotating monitor wheel the way DaOld Man did it (good stuff mate) so it rotates smoothly (I really made a pigs ear of it with my jigsaw).  Marquee artwork almost finalised, so will get that printed very soon. CP artwork being designed as we speak by a good friend of mine - will post pics soon.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *marquee design finalised* ]
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2008, 08:51:00 am »
Here's the finalised marquee design!  Just have to get it printed now! :)

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2008, 12:05:51 pm »
Looking good buddy  :)

bfauska

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2008, 05:52:43 pm »
That's coming along nicely. Those wheels look like they should be great fun.

I swear I've read this whole thread, but just now reading your last post I decided that your from Europe and it surprised me, I don't think I'd noticed before. I love the subtle differences in word choice around the world. It's always funny to think that the everyday slang that I use is so different from what other people in the world say, even within the same language. Where are you from? AND... any more progress, you're getting so close, you've probably finished it up and haven't stopped playing long enough to share with us.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2008, 06:41:40 pm »
Ah yes, the good old English slang... Sometimes I'm writing something how I'd say it and wonder if any of you guys will actually understand what I'm talking about. :)  Anyway, I'm from Kent in England, where it rains a lot!

Still not finished the cab yet, but getting closer slowly.  I got the marquee printed at a local printers for £10.  The assured me the "backlit" paper they were printing on was the best quality stuff and would definitely be what I'd want, so I went with it.  Result: It looks nice with the light off, but when its illuminated, it looks like poo - all grainy and the light shines through too much.  That'll teach me for not asking to see an example before getting them to print it.  I think I'll email mamemarquees, get them to have a look at my design, and see how long they'll take to print and ship over here.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:48:00 pm by Jimbo »

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2008, 08:14:09 am »
Kent you say!? I used to live in Canterbury! But now in London. (It also rains here.... lol)

Looking good my firend! I know a bit about the artwork side and trust me, the local printers says "yeah it will be fine" because they never print for an arcade machine.

Mamemarquees have arcades in mind, so they know what people want!

BTW, anyone else form the UK? Maybe we should do a UK meet up!?

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »
Any updates on this project?  How are the mini racers working out? 

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2008, 06:00:24 pm »
Hey there...  I've been bogged down with work the last few weeks, so nothing much done.  Hopefully this week I'll get round to wiring up the control panel tho.  I'm itching to get going, just have to find the time!  As soon as I have something to show, it'll be on here! :)