Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [motorised monitor rotation begins]  (Read 54999 times)

Anubis_au

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *marquee design finalised* ]
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2008, 11:03:29 am »
BTW, anyone else form the UK? Maybe we should do a UK meet up!?

G'day boys. I've been living in London for five months or so now. I've also been a bit quiet on the BYOAC front in that time.

You wanna organise some kind of meet-up, I'm in...

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2008, 11:04:33 am »
Jimbo, how's the monitor rotation setup going? Do you have a finalised design yet?

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2008, 05:15:04 pm »
I'm in for a meet up!

Minwah? Franco? Lettuce? Andy?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=79306.0

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *MAJOR UPDATE* ]
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2008, 07:25:48 pm »
Well its been nearly 4 months since my last post, and a lot has happened! First off, I became a Dad for the first time! :) Little Luke was born in August, and has totally changed our lives (for the better, of course!) and that's the main reason for things taking longer than normal. That said - I've still got a fair bit done on the cab over the past weeks, so here's an update...

OK to recap: I'm building a swappable control panel system. I'm putting an I-PAC4 and an Opti-PAC inside the cab, and running from them 2 x 50pin SCSI cables up to the CP. Also running to the CP are a +12v/+5v power lead (from PC PSU, with a molex connector on the end) and a USB cable. This means each CP I want to build (I currently only have one) should have everything it needs, although I may upgrade later to one of Ultimarc's U-HID boards.

I screwed in some PCB mounting feet for the I-PAC and Opti-PAC inside the cab's front panel, right under where the CP will sit. They were a bugger to mount in such an enclosed space. Note to self: think about these things earlier next time...

Then I mounted both boards - I-PAC on the left, Opti-PAC on the right. As I'm using 2 x 50pin SCSI cables, I couldn't give the I-PAC its dedicated cable (too many connectors). Instead the first 3 players are connected to SCSI cable 1, and player 4 and the Opti-PAC are connected to SCSI cable 2. All the tiny individual SCSI leads are labelled and colour coded, so its still just as easy to connect up at the CP end...

I also wired up the coin mech to the I-PAC. It was a bit fiddly getting the "template" coin to sit in place, and I had a switch set wrong on the door for a while, so it wasn't working as expected, but I got there in the end...

Here in the top left, you can see the coin mech's zener diode, along with my ridiculously neat wiring. Lights on the I-PAC indicate all systems go! :)

I clipped all the wiring from the interfaces and the coin mech to the PC along the inside frame of the cab. Basically there's USB, PS2 and power leads there.  Man am I glad I bought a good modular PSU, all those extra power cables came in real handy! The white lead you see going out of the cab is for my temp keyboard, which I've now replaced with a small black bluetooth one from Keysonic (which rocks!).

OK, here you can see where I cut holes in the CP base for the leads to pop through. You can also see I'm attaching the CP to the cab using 4 bolts, held in place underneath with wingnuts for easy swapping of panels.

And here's underneath... The plywood splintered when I drilled the holes for the bolts so I'll clean that up later. Kinda wish I'd drilled them before painting the cab. Another note to self.

To run power to the CP I built a cable and that connects to one of the 12V and 5v molex connectors from my PC's PSU. The top cable you see here is the one going from the PC to the CP, the bottom one is for inside the CP. For each CP I make, I'll need one of the bottom ones if I want to run 12V or 5V power to it.

Through the right-hand-side hole in the CP base, I pass through one of the SCSI cables, the USB cable, and the power cable...

Through the left-hand-side hole I'm passing the other SCSI cable.

Now to the wiring up of my first CP itself.  I mounted a small non-powered 4-port USB hub in the back right, which the USB cable feeds directly into. This will power the 3 USB devices in the panel (2 x U360s and the TT2 spinner interface board). One port spare :)

Round the front edge of the panel, I've mounted the TT2 spinner board. Damn those USB cables were long!

Inside the cab, down the front of the side panel, I clipped the cables in (they are still loose) with conduit clamps. This makes it pretty easy for me to swap panels, and means the leads don't fall back inside the cab if I drop them.

I tested the 5V power feed by lighting up the trackball with an LED :)  Artwork on the panel still to come. It looks like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- with that plexi protective film on it!

I managed to bevel the edge of the trackball hole in the plexi too. It's a crap pic... the trackball when lit is a cool fiery read, not as yellow/orange as it looks here. I'll get better pics soon, I promise!

Next up, my first ever CP wiring attempt. All went pretty smoothly. :) P1/2 start buttons in the back corners, the 2 red buttons are for PAUSE and EXIT, then there's 6 black pushbuttons for each player. All pushbuttons are connected to the 2 x U360s via the wiring harnesses. I only have 1 x TT2 spinner hooked up here, was waiting on a slave cable from Randy (got it now, thanks!). Happ 3" high-ball sits in the middle with an LED stuck to the bottom.  OK so its not the neatest wiring in the world, but it works so I'm happy.  You can see I'm only actually using one SCSI cable, and that's to connect the trackball to the Opti-PAC.  I'm not actually using the I-PAC in this panel so the other SCSI is sitting there unused.

So here's the latest pic of the CP top.  Doesn't look anything special just yet, but it works, that's the main thing.  So how does it play?  Well, as you'd expect I've given it a good trial run! :) The 2 angled spinners are great, and don't get in the way, and are pretty comfortable.  With the mini-racers, they're just as fun too.  Trackball sticks a bit when rolling left, but its been sitting in a room of dust for months, so I'll clean it out when I have time. Plenty of room around the ball for faster spins too.

The other thing I have worked on, which I've been meaning to do for a while now, is to redo the rotating monitor wheel.  I cut the old circle with a jigsaw (stupidly) and it's never rotated smoothly, and was really starting to piss me off. I basically copied DaOld Man's excellent idea (link) and made a jig so I could cut perfect circles with my router. All credit to DaOld Man for this one, thanks mate! :) You can see in this pic the rotating wheel that I wanted to replace... its plywood, cut poorly and rotates like a bastard.  It had to go.

First thing, I decided to use MDF for the new rotating wheel (and the circle cutting jig). I don't know why... I know ply is supposed to be stronger, but something drew me towards MDF, maybe curiosity.  Anyway, apart from the dust (I wore a good mask and goggles) I found it WAAAY much easier to work with! :)

For the jig, I got a piece of MDF slightly wider than the base of the router, and about a metre long. At one end I routed out about a 1/4 inch for the base of the router (just copied what DaOld Man did, basically). I didn't secure the base of the router with conduit clamps, as my router has holes for machine-screws to secure it, which you can see nearest the centre hole...

Underneath the jig, I countersunk the screw heads and marked out the centre hole for the pivot bolt...

Here's the jig all setup and ready to rumble.  The pivot hole was slightly too large for the bolt I was using, and the wood was moving very slightly, so I wrapped the bolt with a bit of tape before threading it through the hole, which worked perfectly. Nice and snug...

Jig in action... first circle cutting commences!

First circle cut, and its perfectly round with a nice smooth edge...

Backplate circle cut to exactly the same size :)

Next I used the old crappy rotating wheel to trace the outline for the hole where the monitor goes.  When I did the old hole I remember it taking me AGES to get the hole the right size, so this cut out a whole load of headache...

For the backplate, I made the monitor-hole cutout a little bigger, as there was no need to get the hole exactly the same as the top plate...

OK, now I know some of you reading this might wince at what I'm about to do next, but here goes... I am postponing the motorised rotation idea for now, and putting in a temporary manual solution.  Basically I want to use the cab, and I don't have the time right now to work out and build a motorised rotator. With such a heavy monitor and limited space inside the cab it was proving much more hassle that its (currently) worth. That's not to say I've given up on the idea, far from it. I'm just postponing it. Basically, I've decided to cut a "door" on one of the side panels that will open to allow the player to rotate the monitor by hand.  I'm planning on making the door look nice by putting some JIMBOZONE artwork on it, so I think it will still look pretty groovy.

First off I measured the door on the inside (where I have a reference to the 45 degree angle it needs to be at), then drilled holes in the corners and scored where I want to cut (to prevent the plywood splitting when I cut it)...

Then I cut inside the score-mark with a jigsaw, just to get the bulk of the redundant wood out the way and make the routing easier...

Next I routed each side of the door hole to get as perfect a rectangle as I could...

Damn router got away from me a couple of times... I'll have to clean that up. All in all, the sides look pretty straight though :)

Here's the new monitor wheel mounted in the cab, with the hole for the manual rotation. Next I have to build the door that you open when you want to rotate the monitor (hinges on the bottom edge, small knob on the top edge, cool JIMBOZONE artwork on the face).

Last thing before I sign off, here's the first draft of the CP artwork. Comments/suggestions welcome :)

Stay tuned for the next installment (whenever that may be LOL!)

:cheers:

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:22 pm »
Everything is looking good.  I like the control panel, but what about the area around the spinners?

How wide is your control panel?

fronty

« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2008, 06:08:18 am »

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:44:08 pm by FrontyDev »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2008, 07:11:11 am »
Looking good jimbo!
And congrats on the little one..
Wont be long until you are teaching him how to play the cab.

Your rotating monitor turned out good. I wanted to use those small casters for mine, but I couldnt find them.
Also, thanks for the honorable mention on the circle cutter!

I cant wait to see this baby finished, plus I like the swappable cp idea. I may do that when I finally get around to finishing the cab I made my rotating monitor for.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2008, 09:07:29 am »
Everything is looking good.  I like the control panel, but what about the area around the spinners? How wide is your control panel?

The artwork will continue down over the spinner panel, and the front panel... will post pics soon.  The CP is just over 26 inches wide, making the cab a total of 28 inches wide (fits through a standard UK door - which was one of my original requirements) :)

Nice update. Did you already mount the TV? How does the wheel feels when you move it?

Yep, tested the monitor, fits nice and it feels heavy but the rotation is much smoother now.  I'll be using some adjustable tension ball catches to limit the rotation at each end (thanks Franco for that suggestion) and to keep the monitor from "freewheeling".

@DaOld Man... cheers mate :) Yeah looking forward to teaching him how to play.  The cab is officially his now anyway, really :)  If you want me to send you some of those casters, just PM me.

fronty

« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2008, 11:11:17 am »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:43:53 pm by FrontyDev »

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2008, 11:25:48 am »
There's about 2 inches clear from the back of the monitor frame to the rear cab door.  Its a tight fit, but 2 inches is as close as it gets.  I designed it all as accurately as I could in Sketchup before I started the build, so I was pretty confident it was gonna fit :)

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2008, 03:29:50 pm »
FINALLY got the catches mounted to stop the monitor from freewheeling, and to snap the rotation in the horizontal and vertical positions.  I used a couple of roller catches that I got from ScrewFix (link). I was gonna use some tension ball catches, but these rollers looked the better option, and they make a nice quiet "click" when they catch.

First off I attached a small plywood platform to the back of the rotating wheel...

Then I attached the rollers to the monitor's 'seat' panel...

The rotation now smaps into place in both the horizontal and vertical positions :)

Due to the way my rotating monitor setup works, I couldn't hide the catches behind the wheel, but I'll paint the small platform and the rollers black, so they won't be noticed behind the tinted plexi.

Not much more to do now and the whole rotating monitor part of the project will be finished (except for motorising it at some point)!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2008, 05:46:43 pm »
Glad to see they worked :)

fronty

« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2008, 05:55:18 pm »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:56:07 pm by FrontyDev »

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2008, 06:01:39 pm »
A little more done today...

@FrontyDev: Nope, I don't have a youtube video, but I'll get make one when the rotating stuff is complete, so you can see how it looks/works.

Today I made a cover for the roller bit on the wheel. It hides the metal catches, and looks much nicer :)  Also painted the wheel black to hide it better when behind the tinted glass...

A bit more painting, something to cover the metal monitor frame, and the small door on the side panel are all that's left, then the rotating monitor stuff is done. :)

More soon...

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *CPO ARTWORK* ]
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2008, 03:50:23 am »

Over the past couple of weeks I've got a bit more done.

Firstly, I re-attached the black foam to hide the monitor frame on the rotating wheel.  This time I screwed them on; the velcro didn't work very well last time...

Then I made the door in the side panel for the manual rotation. It's got a ball catch at the top, and two hinges at the bottom.  Will look nice when I have applied the artwork.

The speaker holes I made before were crap. I used cheapo aluminium mesh from the local hardware store, and didn't rout out for the speakers, so it looked rubbish. I've now redeemed myself by purchasing some nice racing mesh, spray-painting it black, and routing out for the speakers.  Much better :)

Next up, I cleaned the trackball using some recommendations and advice from the good people on this forum (thanks!)...

Finally, I got the test CPO artwork printed and installed!  I've still got the front part of the CP to cover, and that'll be done soon!

It's all coming together now :)  more soon...

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *CPO INSTALLED* ]
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2008, 05:11:42 am »
CP's looking wicked Jim :)

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2008, 10:11:18 am »
I agree!!

CthulhuLuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2008, 11:53:36 am »
Wow this project is looking really slick. I was pretty surprised when I saw you were doing the entire thing in plywood rather than mdf (except it looks like the monitor rotation wheel?) Does that lighten up the entire cabinet? Also, does that make it feel more wobbly because it has less weight?

Also, what was your take on using a jigsaw & router rather than a tablesaw for all the big cuts? I'm looking at building a cocktail in the near future, and if I can get away with a jigsaw, orbital sander, and a router I'll be able to save a lot of money.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2008, 12:18:43 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

@CthulhuLuke:  Yeah I chose plywood for a few reasons. Firstly I heard it was stronger than MDF. Secondly, I didn't want to be cutting up and breathing in MDF dust in my tiny garage (I've done a LOT of cutting and routing).  Another reason is that its lighter.  The cab's still very stable and doesn't wobble at all, but if I ever need to move it upstairs, lifting the timber+ply frame is no problem.

I did re-do the monitor wheel in MDF because I wanted really smooth edges of the circle so they roll on the casters smoothly, which I didn't think I'd get as good with plywood.  That's the only reason really.  I also went MDF on the small door on the side panel, as I'll be sticking artwork to that, and figured it would be smoother and easier.

I've actually now found out that MDF is WAAAY easier to cut/rout than plywood, so I'll probably use it for future projects (and I'll get a good mask and goggles for the dust!) unless I can find some *really* good quality ply.

I think its perfectly fine to use a router for the big cuts, but I wouldn't just use a jigsaw unless you have a really steady hand (and a guide).  I actually bought a circular saw to do most of the big cuts in this project, and I made a sawboard to use it with - which made life much easier!

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2008, 05:30:45 pm »
Finally finished sorting the speakers/grills out tonight.  First off I covered up the Logitech logo on the front of them so it wouldn't be visible through the new grills...

Then it was out with the old...

...and in with the new...

Each speaker is held in place with 4 painted batons and I put some black craft foam over the top to cover the curved ends. This hides the light from the marquee nicely.

From the front, they look 1000 times better (ignore the cracked paintwork, I'll have to redo that at some point. The 'money shot' is the speaker :P )

Time to put the cab back together again, now the speakers and monitor wheel are finished.  Here's a pic of the inside so you can see the back of the rotating monitor setup...

And here's a closeup so you can see how the monitor sits in the rotating 'wheel'...

And finally, here's a couple of shots of the cab as it looks now.  Still the artwork to put on the front and spinner section of the CP, and I need to replace the marquee with the proper version, and put the top retainer on.

I also have a bunch of touch-up jobs to do on the paintwork, which I'll get round to soon.

Stay tuned! :)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *SPEAKERS+MONITOR DONE!* ]
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2008, 07:20:58 pm »
That seems a cool way to add a spinner, or two.  Have you had any issues with hands bumping them?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2009, 04:20:02 am »
Thanks.  No problems or issues so far.  The spinners sit nicely between the players arms with about 5cm spare each side, and they are just low/far-away enough that hands seem to miss them.  I've had quite a few friends over to test out the cab, and nobody has mentioned it either. :)

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2009, 08:52:07 am »
Great job Jimbo. I love that CP.
Any chance of some pics with the monitor on and turned vertical?

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2009, 09:30:14 am »
I think the spinners in that position with the wheels on them for driving games looks great.  How is the game play without the wheels in games like Arknoid, Tempest, etc.  Doesn't seem like there is much room to rest your hand controlling the spinner?  Does it seem weird to have that control so much lower than the buttons?

Speaking of which, are you a right hand or left hand spinner person when playing games like Arknoid, Tempest?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBO's scratch designed cab [ *SPINNER PANEL PICS* ]
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2009, 12:03:53 pm »
I've not had a problem with the spinners where they are, but I don't play spinner games for hours on end. I guess depending how you hold the spinner it will probably make a difference, but to me it doesn't feel weird at all.  The spinners aren't that much lower than the CP itself, and I hold the spinner with my left hand from the side, so I don't need to rest my hand anywhere.  Check the pics to see what I mean. :)

@DaOld Man:  Just one piccie for ya with monitor turned vertical... sorry its not the greatest quality, I'll get more soon!

andy p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2011, 08:14:04 am
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2009, 08:37:38 pm »
That's one of the best cabs I've seen. 

Glad to see all the hard work you put into it has paid off mate.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2009, 03:04:40 pm »
Thanks!  It wasn't all hard work... a lot of it was luck! :P

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
motorised monitor rotation coming soon
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2014, 11:02:05 am »
Just a note to say I'll be attacking getting this monitor rotated by motor in the next few weeks (hopefully)...

Plan is to program an arduino to control an h-bridge circuit which will drive a motor, with some sensors around the rotating wheel to help me determine current rotation state.  Mechanically I'm planning on using a toothed belt around part of the wheel.

I will then hopefully get it rotating and degaussing automatically by software when selecting games from the frontend.

Then I'll re-do the sides of the cab to get rid of that hideous door :)

I'll post here with more details once I start.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:04:31 am by Jimbo »