Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GORF  (Read 7578 times)

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
GORF
« on: August 12, 2007, 02:45:27 am »
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/GORF_joystick

I cut out about half of the information I have. I decided it wasn't a good idea to give a lot of technical information without actually verifying them myself. I won't be able to put in any technical updates until after I order a control interface board from Ultimarc or GGG.  :dunno

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: GORF
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 09:40:50 pm »
It wouldn't hurt to have it in a section called "Unconfirmed information"...
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 02:08:32 am »
I have a gorf machine and I can confirm all of it except the compatability with happs parts (I have no clue). 

Something of note is that because the joysticks sensors are only 5v they work just fine when connected to a regular keyboard encoder and the 5v doesn't damage the device at all.  I hear a lot of talk of people not wanting the gorf sticks because of this but so long as you can grab 5v from a power supply you can use them on a mame cab quite easily!

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 12:01:23 am »
Something of note is that because the joysticks sensors are only 5v they work just fine when connected to a regular keyboard encoder and the 5v doesn't damage the device at all.  I hear a lot of talk of people not wanting the gorf sticks because of this but so long as you can grab 5v from a power supply you can use them on a mame cab quite easily!

Why would they not want Gorf sticks if it's 5v? Do other joysticks use a different votage? Fine, tell everyone who tells you that to send me their Gorf joysticks.  ;D

I made the initial mistake of wiring 9v to the circuit. Threw me off for a while since I was still reading 5v on all my pinouts. Seems R8/R9 do more than create a 1/2 voltage for the comparator. ??? In any case, the 5v sensors are nothing more than packaged diodes and transistors. Eight resistors are used in exactly the same way we use resistors with LED's. I couldn't find any data sheet for the sensors but the IC is rated up to IIRC 36v (or 39v). I figure you'll pop resistors before you pop the sensor or IC.

I'm going to clean up the technical portion a little bit and put up a picture of a shcematic I created that includes the unlisted caps.