Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: alphanumeric keyorder for Rockola  (Read 6968 times)

jo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2007, 05:28:47 am
alphanumeric keyorder for Rockola
« on: August 11, 2007, 11:32:21 am »
I've recently acquired an old Rockola 440 (1969) and i want to emulate the 160 single-selections on my PC. Now i have noticed that the sortorder of the key's in WinCab is A1, A2, A3..., B1, B2, ... and so on. Is it possible to change the sequence to A1, B1, C1,..., A2, B2, C2 because this is the way my Rockola handles the keys.

I thank you for your reaction and wants to congratulate Chris for his amazing fexible and "KISS" program.

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
Re: alphanumeric keyorder for Rockola
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 01:38:23 pm »
Any chance of a picture of the selection grid?   :)

I guess I am wondering how is the grid layed out?

Choice #1
A1  A2  A3  A4  A5
B1  B2  B3  --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--  B5
C1  C2  C3  C4  C5
D1  D2  D3  D4  D5
E1  E2  E3  E4  E5

Choice #2
A1  B1  C1  D1  E1
A2  B2  C2  D2  E2
A3  B3  C3  D3  E3
A4  --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--  C4  D4  E4
A5  B5  C5  D5  E5

The reason I ask is that I am sure you can make a skin for each layout.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 04:00:14 am by JustMichael »

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:43:01 am »
You will have to use single strips and not dual strips to do this.  The second half of a dual strip is always the next number up from the first half.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 05:27:07 am »
Thank you for your replies  :)

jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:09:31 am »
To JustMichael

Hereby a picture of the layout of my jukebox.

Has someone a similar problem or a sollution for a skin?

Thanks

jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 06:23:14 am »
I forgot to mention:

The grid is obviously choise #1
A1  A2  A3  A4  A5
B1  B2  B3  --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--  B5
C1  C2  C3  C4  C5
D1  D2  D3  D4  D5
E1  E2  E3  E4  E5

When using single strips, i have a problem to display all the labels on screen (fonts too small)
Also the letter O and I are not used. Is there some sollution to solve this?

Thank you

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 08:40:01 am »
Jo,

It's going to take a code change to fix both of these issues for you.  I've been getting asked for a fix for the O and I issue for months, so it's time I break down and take care of that...  ;D

That's a great-looking jukebox!  Are those colored strips at the top of each column genre headings?

--Chris

--Chris

LHUPA

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2019, 01:05:09 am
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 03:41:26 pm »
Dear Jo,

When we attempt to adapt a analog jukebox with WINCAB/DOSCAB, a problem is sure to come: WINCAB/DOSCAB works with pages and only the active (page you see) page is functional Ex.: If the active page contains selections "B0" to "D9", only these selections will be available to the jukebox selector keyboard. In fact, choosing "A0" will not be possible and nothing will go on. Also, When skinning is necessary, the type of page must be considered to build the selector and it causes that the keyboard must adjusted to this. To solve this problem, I have built a special "one page" skin called "adaptor skin" for a wallbox owner who has a 160 selection german Wurlitzer FW 160 wallbox wich it uses sensibly the same keyset as the Rock-ola. If it interest you I can you send one! Or, I can build a specific "adaptor skin" for your 160 selections Rock-Ola jukebox if you're interested. The secret it's building a single page selector panel that holds the 80 double title strips for the total of 160 selections. Adapting a analog jukebox is the same experience that I have just experimented with this wallbox user. The only one difference for adapting analog alphanumeric jukebox or wallbox is: WINCAB/DOSCAB go from "A - B - C - D - E - F - G - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P" for letters and go from "0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9" for the numbers. The higher letter is "P" and the higher number "9" The selector sequence of the Rock-Ola jukebox is probably the same: the inverse of WINCAB/DOSCAB for the numbers as the Wurlitzer as "1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 0". In the case of any alphanumeric jukebox or wallbox, the 160 selection (or more) version, the letters range skips two letters as "I" and "O" probably to avoid confusion with numbers "1" and "0" (as I have learned on this forum) The jukebox letter sequence should be "A - B - C - D - E - F - G - J - K - L - M - N - P - Q - R". - The Title strips will appear very small but it's normal! In major cases, the computer monitor is hidden in the cabinet and it permit to you to use the original selection panel with real paper title strips. Nothing of your adaption work will appear physically outside the jukebox... all is inside! - This is keeps your jukebox "authentic" with no visible "modernity traces" outside! Now, I can adapt any alphanumeric jukebox or wallbox of any make with this adaptor skin. The adaptor skin can be modified to match the model, the brand of your machine. If you're interested, I will search informations of your machine for making buttons, pictures ect for building your "adaptor skin"!

I hope that helps you!

LHUPA
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:01:59 pm by LHUPA »

jo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 05:38:55 am »
Thank you for your reactions and proposed solutions.

To Chris: the heading labels are indeed genre headings. Thank you for fixing both issues in the nereby future!

The letter range is: ABCDEFGHJK LMNPQRSTUV and the numbers are 12345678 (20x8=160 selections)

Thanks also for your reply Lupha! I'm indeed interested to keep the original selection panel and also the original mechanism (that is still working) but i want to interface my jukebox with my computer. So i can switch between my vinyl-singles and my mp3 collection. I even think of using a kind of flipoverchart with a skin of mp3 music to cover the original selection-panel (so i don't have to change the labels each time inside the cabinet)
If you find a suitable skin, please tell me.

Thanks again.

LHUPA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 03:24:32 pm »
Dear Jo,

Good idea! You want to build a bi-technology jukebox! In this case, in the order to help you, I want if possible pictures of your jukebox especially the illuminated selecting panel (title strip index) closer and clear as possible to recognize the coding order as: A-0, B 1, ect. Also, I need pictures  closer as possible of the selector keyboard of your jukebox and another one  closer as possible of the circuit (pinout) of the selector keyboard. Most clear are pictures, better are the chances to find something for you! With these informations I will study it to seek for a solution! - You can send me your pictures at lhupatech@globetrotter.net

I hope that it helps you!

LHUPA
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 03:46:01 pm by LHUPA »

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 03:45:37 pm »
The code is in place to exclude certain keys; I'm testing it now hoping to release it today.  Essentially you just add:

SkipKeyI = True
SkipKeyO = True

to the skin.

If that doesn't work the way you like for whatever reason you can also change the definition of each value:

KeyISymbol = J
KeyJSymbol = K

etc.

--Chris

LHUPA

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 03:53:49 pm »
Dear Chris'

It is the same challenge that I have experienced last week for a FW 160 German Wurlitzer wallbox. - It seems tha t you have find the solution with the "skipkey" command line I will experience it with the finished project and give you the results within this topic!

Thanks for your work to find a solution in this field, Chris!

LHUPA