Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Another artwork critique  (Read 3829 times)

jginiso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2009, 01:41:17 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Another artwork critique
« on: April 27, 2003, 12:19:35 pm »
Here are my CP overlay, marquee and side art. I like the idea of having a fantasy themed cabinet and two of the games that ate alot of my allowance growing up were Gauntlet and Dragon's Lair. I modernized the gauntlet overlay a little by changing the characters. The white buttons next to the player pics are start buttons. The trackball will be positioned in the demon's mouth and the white buttons around him are the mouse buttons (not sure if I need that many). The buttons for each player are yellow, red, blue and green respectively. I dont know if I need to outline them with some artowrk or if they will stand out by being a little different shade of yellow, red, etc than the backround on the overlay. Ay input is appreciated. Thanks.

http://james10583.tripod.com/index.html

AceTKK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
Re:Another artwork critique
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 11:52:01 pm »
I like it a lot!  My only suggestion is to modify the text in the marquee to make it stand out more against the flames.  Maybe put a black stroke around the outside edge of the letters.  Nice work!

-Ace-
I want my own arcade controls!

Lucky S.O.B.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 03:02:50 pm
  • Mmmmm.... Donuts!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 01:19:13 am »
THIS IS SOOOOOO AWSOME!

One suggestion is to make the controls and buttons the same color as the background like Zinfari (http://zinfari.iwarp.com/). I especially like the marquee it gives me some ideas for my cab name/marquee.

Maybe a red light up trackball in the dragons mouth?

-Derrick

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 02:03:38 am »
The only other thing is that the Demons teeth will get cut off by the trackball. I'd shorten the teeth so the tips just touch the outside diameter of the trackball. (just make sure you can centre the trackball bang on.....)
I'd be tempted to put more of the black tribal stuff (not as dramatic as the other two) between player 1 and 2 to keep it consistant as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 02:06:48 am by Brax »
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 08:10:25 am »
That looks great!  I'd do what the other suggested, perhaps - but it looks pretty good to me.  

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 08:17:19 am »
It looks great. The only problem is that it comes off a bit like a Dragon's Lair bootleg, rather than like a standalone concept.

At least it doesn't look anything like those horrible "Willis" repro art kits from back in the day.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

jginiso

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 04:28:37 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I may touch up the marquee lettering to make it stand out more. Noticed the teeth were a little too long too; I had to elongate everything in the mouth so the trackball would fit. I'll post again after I make some changes.

I hear you about it looking like a Dragon's Lair cab but I kind of dig that artwork for the side panels...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 04:33:30 pm by jginiso »

CthulhuLuke

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 07:56:27 am »
Ok, thats very very awesome artwork you got there.  Really good job on the editing of the dragon's lair marquee thingy, very very cool look indeed.  Only real comment I have on this piece is that you might want to consider (remember, it looks really good now) if you rotated the left and the right cirlces that have the monk and the Link character so they face towards the 3rd and 4th player when they play.  It would be good for when your 2 extra buds are playin, so that their artwork is facing them instead of being at such an angle ya know.  The only other thing I can think of is make sure you get rid of all the white jaggies around Link, that extra 30 minutes to an hour spent making him as clean as possible is definitely going to be worth it at 300 DPI when you print this thing.
    Btw, what program did you use to make that layout so clean, did you autocad the control panel first to get the perfect dimensions?  Whatever you did, it looks aweseome.
   -excited to see your final work
     -Luke
« Last Edit: April 29, 2003, 07:57:17 am by CthulhuLuke »

jginiso

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 01:14:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply those are really good suggestions. The source image for Link was a much lower resolution than the others so he didnt scale very well. I will definatly clean him up.

The marquee, control panel and sideart were all done in Photoshop.  The plan is to print a full size template and cut the cp from that....