Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Here's an app to control volume with your spinner/trackball/joysticks/buttons...  (Read 90114 times)

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Aren't those recognized as gamepad buttons, instead of keyboard presses? (I don't own one, and have limited knowledge of them)

Try joy2key maybe? If you don't have it, search on that term exactly.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Aren't those recognized as gamepad buttons, instead of keyboard presses? (I don't own one, and have limited knowledge of them)

Try joy2key maybe? If you don't have it, search on that term exactly.

Yes, I think they are.  When I press buttons on the keyboard they seem to work just fine with this app as far as setting them goes.  Hmmm...  I'll try searching joy2key and see what I come up with.  Thanks for your help.   :cheers:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Yeah it doesn't recognize analog joystick input unfortunately.  You'll have to either use joy2key or actual buttons or something.

ideft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2012, 04:06:09 pm
  • "Mister, I suspect you to be a dope fiend"
will this program eventually support joystick inputs because it would be cool if it did!!!

ahofle

• Offline Offline
I may look at it again at some point, but it wasn't exactly a quick fix if I recall correctly.

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
I tried downloading the .NET 2.0 but I had an error stated the version I'm trying to download is incompatible with the version already installed on my computer.  Anyone have any insight on this issue?

Also, assuming I can get this fixed, what exactly are the steps needed to go about getting this application up and running.  I have already put a shortcut in the startup folder so is this all I have to do?  I am using Maximus Arcade as my FE and the spinner will actually rotate Maximus through the different emulators and through the game list so if I am trying to adjust the volume when I'm on these screens will the volume adjust simultaneously while the I scroll the game/emulator lists?  Or does pressing the "hotkey" trump the command in Maximus to scroll through the lists?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Sounds like maybe you already have a newer version of .NET installed?  Have you tried running it?  If you don't immediately get an error, you don't need to install the .NET framework.
As for the scrolling, yes it will still scroll your frontend while the hotkey is down (this app doesn't consume the input currently).  I suppose it would be possible to do, but I'm not sure if that would be what everyone wants.

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
will this program eventually support joystick inputs because it would be cool if it did!!!

Agreed.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Flake

• Offline Offline
Sounds like maybe you already have a newer version of .NET installed?  Have you tried running it?  If you don't immediately get an error, you don't need to install the .NET framework.
As for the scrolling, yes it will still scroll your frontend while the hotkey is down (this app doesn't consume the input currently).  I suppose it would be possible to do, but I'm not sure if that would be what everyone wants.

Well OK I have tried using the application anyways even after I got that error but am not sure if I "installed" it correctly.  So out of the kindness of your heart explain the steps needed to "install" the application and have it run correctly?

All I have done so far is to extract the application on my desktop, put a shortcut in the startup folder and thats it.  There must be something more to do since its not working for me.  Kinda noobish here on software so please do be kind to my fragile ego if I am missing something. 

ahofle

• Offline Offline
There is no installation process, just manually run the cabvol.exe application by double clicking on it.  It should open up with a configuration window like the screenshot on the first post of this thread.

I'm still not sure how worthwhile it would be to add a bunch of joystick handling code to this, given that there are already tools out there like joytokey to convert joystick input to keyboard presses.  Also, are there really that many people that have an analog joystick but no trackball, spinner or digital arcade sticks?

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
I don't know, but in my case it's because I have swappable panels. Yeah, I know that's a very uncommon approach. I can understand you not wanting to add it, though I probably wouldn't bother with your app otherwise. I know I can use joy2key, but unless there is a REALLY good reason to get it, figure out how to configure it, and keep it running all the time JUST so I can use this app, I won't bother. But if you really prefer not to handle analog sticks then don't worry about it - I just wanted to add my vote for that but I'm not going to die without it.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

ahofle

• Offline Offline
It's not that I prefer not to handle it, it's just that it isn't easy since joystick input isn't handled by the core windows SDK (like keyboard and mouse input is) so it would be a good deal more work I'm guessing.  I may get to it eventually though.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
I understand that and that's all I was referring to - didn't mean to imply that you had a motive here. :cheers:

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
Hey ahofle if you want PM me and I can help you add joystick support using DirectInput.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Thanks headkaze!

Flake

• Offline Offline
I'm up and running now with your application - thanks!   :cheers:

LLUncoolJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2015, 03:08:00 pm
  • This snowflake tastes like fish sticks!
I can confirm that this program doesn't work in Vista 64bit Ultimate Edition.  I even tried to use it in Windows XP compatibility mode.

I'm going to subscribe to this thread in hopes that might someday change.  I would be willing to help test it out anytime as I would love to use this program.

Thanks for the great software idea!

Same here..unable to get the app to work with Vista :'(. I could use this in the worst way if anyone figures it out. All inputs are good on the debugger, just no volume change. Thanks for changing everything for the worst Microsoft. :angry:
You probably remember me from such films as `The Revenge of Abe Lincoln' and `The Wackiest Covered Wagon in the West'

Gameroom pics at http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=89006.40

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 09:09:30 am
  • The Saw Is Family
Any hopes for Vista 64 support or is this a dead issue?
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

ahofle

• Offline Offline
I wouldn't say it's dead, but I don't have Vista (64 or otherwise) so it would not be easy.  Actually, after your post and a quick google, I did find out why it's not working in Vista though as well as some newer volume adjustment code (not based on the winmm.dll stuff which is out dated), so I may give it a stab.  I'm just worried that it then won't work with XP LOL.  Stay tuned.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
I'm sure many Vista user would appericate your effort, please do!
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Well, as expected this new audio API is ONLY supported on Vista and later.  :dunno  I have it integrated with CalVol but I have no way to test it.  If any of you would like to be a guinea pig let me know.  With this version, the volume range is much different (0-100), so you will NEED to change the volume increment and mouse volume increment rates from 2000/1000 to something like 1-5 with this version.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://hofle.com/mame/CabVol-VistaOnly.zip

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
Is there no standard volume keys on the keyboard? On my mac I mapped the iPac shift keys in a way that shift+up and shift+down alters the volume.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
HEY I just wanted to say... you rock aholfe!

I was the guy who suggested this program to be created, a couple of years ago :)
Anyway... I had this running all this time, noo problem.

I actually did not have the latest version, and really appreciate this new(er) version... the biggest improvement is the fact that volume rises/falls the same way regardless of the game's resolution (there was an issue before that - where it was stuck at certain resolutions)

My cab is perfect with this - no messy extra knobs to be seen ... just "P2 START + Spinner" to adjust volume.

Again thank you.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
Well, as expected this new audio API is ONLY supported on Vista and later.  :dunno  I have it integrated with CalVol but I have no way to test it.  If any of you would like to be a guinea pig let me know.  With this version, the volume range is much different (0-100), so you will NEED to change the volume increment and mouse volume increment rates from 2000/1000 to something like 1-5 with this version.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://hofle.com/mame/CabVol-VistaOnly.zip

Just picking back up on this thread. ^^^

Does that support V64?

I can do testing for you if you like? I really would love this to work!

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
It seemed to be working as I was able to move the volume up and down but only with the crash of the app on the screen. The volume move up in down in a way where it was either all the way up or all the way down, maybe just an adjustment of the program but I really did not get that far till it crashed.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Did you change the volume increments to something between 1-5 as mentioned above?

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
No... Is that going to make it stop from crashing though?

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Not sure.  It's just a guess, but from your description that's why it's going all the way up or down (because you are incrementing past the maximum with one mouse turn).  I'm pretty sure I handled going over 100 though, so I'm still not sure about the crash.

When exactly does it crash?  When you adjust the volume?  Or right when the program starts?

EDIT: Try grabbing the Vista version again and see if the crash goes away (I made a change that should hopefully help).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:54:04 pm by ahofle »

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
Not sure.  It's just a guess, but from your description that's why it's going all the way up or down (because you are incrementing past the maximum with one mouse turn).  I'm pretty sure I handled going over 100 though, so I'm still not sure about the crash.

When exactly does it crash?  When you adjust the volume?  Or right when the program starts?

EDIT: Try grabbing the Vista version again and see if the crash goes away (I made a change that should hopefully help).

HEY! I think we are onto something here, it did not crash this time.

I only had a second to play with it before I got to eat dinner here but will provide more feedback soon after.

The volume still jumps full on or full off so I need to adjust that. Any recommend settings for that?

ps. It crashed when I adjusted the volume before.

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
Ok, here is the results of my testing.

The Program does not crash.

The volume jumps full on or full off with a twist of the spinner.

I can adjust the volume increments from 1 to whatever and it does not make a difference.

If I change the mouse volume increments from anything other than 1, it does not work at all no matter how much I twist the spinner.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:37:51 am by Visitor Q »

ahofle

• Offline Offline
I think I figured out the problem.  Can you try downloading it again and let me know?

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You
Are
The
Man
!
!
!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Vista support is in da hizzy!  :applaud:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:44:53 pm by Visitor Q »

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Thanks for guinea pigging. :)
I'll update the main post and add 'official' Vista support.  :cheers:

I still need to get to adding joystick support (headkaze sent me some code for that).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:01:18 pm by ahofle »

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • The Saw Is Family
Anytime man, works awesome!

Thanks Much!

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
Thanks for the application, it's very useful. I have a question for the group, maybe someone can help me:

I'm running Mamewah FE as a shell. I can't seem to get CabVol to start when the computer boots. When I exit Mamewah to explorer, then CabVol starts when the desktop loads (and stays running for future sessions of Mamewah) but it won't load on startup. I've tried putting a shortcut in the startup folder (which is where it is now) and also tried loading it via Mamewah, by entering the executable path in the 'applications to run on startup' entry in the mamewah.ini file. No luck.

What am I missing? I'd really like to use the application for volume control, but if I can't get it to go on startup, I'll have to seek other options. I don't really want to go away from mamewah as a shell, b/c this cabinet will be placed in a family member's bar, and requires the ability to 'fix things on reboot.'

I can get VNC to start up properly on reboot (because I can log into the cab remotely whenever it reboots), so I know that I should be able to get this program loading at startup.

Any suggestions?
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
had some issues getting my media conrtol buttons to work inside a FE Shell

so I got this little gem mapped the volume and mute keys unchecked the hotkey button and had it run on the FE  startup and Bibgo! volume control with my media buttons :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Thanks Ahofle!

Great work

Bender

• Offline Offline
anyway to get  this program to automatically quite when I exit the FE?

when I'm working on the system I end up with like 20 copies of this open

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
anyway to get  this program to automatically quite when I exit the FE?

when I'm working on the system I end up with like 20 copies of this open

I'm running an pre-launch command to a batch file, which includes a call to taskkill to ensure that various PC apps are closed upon running in "arcade mode".  I'd imagine you can you this upon exit to do the exact same thing going to "PC Mode"

-csa

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
Hey heyyy

So I just rebuilt the PC inside my cab, and for SOME REASON CabVol.exe crashes when I launch it...

Do I need to install some C++ runtime redistributable, or something like that?

Windows XP "out of the box" SP3

THANKS!!

I was the original poster who requested this beautiful app you biult :)

Bender

• Offline Offline
.Net 2 Framework, I think you need that