Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Here's an app to control volume with your spinner/trackball/joysticks/buttons...  (Read 90085 times)

ARTIFACT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
Will try! oups...

Funny I know .NET well, just forgot to install it on the cab box after I reinstalled everything

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
This stopped working on my cab. The settings haven't changed. It's running. But no response. Got rid of it and re-d/l'd and started and still nothing. I notice the settings remained, so it seems it's accessing some registry?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
Je-sus.....I just brought the window back up, and un-clicked and clicked mouse directions, put away, and now it works. Okay. 'mute' still don't work, but at least the volume goes up an down.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Lewis Black

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2012, 08:14:10 am
  • Baaaah Eff it!
I can't believe I missed this app until just now.  Very nice work! 

TxGlenn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2015, 03:34:13 pm
What would cause the KeyDown event to not register until I release the button?

In the debugger, I press my Hot Key and nothing happens.  When I release it, I then see KeyDown, the new coordinates of my mouse, and KeyUp, all at once.  The result is a working CabVol app, but only when I repeated hit the Hot Key as I'm spinning the spinner...holding the Hot Key down while spinning has no effect.  I am using an Ipac4 encoder.

Thanks

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Sounds like you are using the player 1 start button as a hotkey (which is a no-no).  The IPAC does not send a keydown for the special 'shift' key until you release it to allow shifted functions like 'esc'.  Try using a different hotkey like 2.

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
how did i miss this app?  it sounds awesome and i'll be adding it shortly.

i do have a suggestion if you are still working on it; emu specific config files.

sometimes when i play games, i'll be listening to music or have sirius radio streaming.  it'd be great to be able to reduce the emu volume (for those that support it) vs. the entire system volume.

maybe even have two hot keys; 1st hot key lowers system volume, 2nd hot key lowers volume based on which cfg file is loaded up.

thanks, t

Ummon

• Offline Offline
Sounds like you are using the player 1 start button as a hotkey (which is a no-no).  The IPAC does not send a keydown for the special 'shift' key until you release it to allow shifted functions like 'esc'.  Try using a different hotkey like 2.

I think maybe something similar is happening with mine. Maybe not, but what's happening is this: I have '5' (coin up) as hotkey, and I'm finding I have to press it twice, holding it down the second time, for it to be active. Works, so fine, but weird.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

TxGlenn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2015, 03:34:13 pm

You nailed it.  Thanks.

jeffremiller

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2011, 05:55:16 pm
  • No matter where you go... There you are...
Any chance of adding a drop down for use with multiple sound cards?  Would be nice to be able to control Cab volume and ambience volume for the same spinner with different hot keys.
"If all wishes were gratified, many dreams would be destroyed." - B. Banzai

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
I gave this a try last night, and it seemed at first to do exactly what I needed but then I hit a snag.  I was hoping it would basically control the volume slider in the sound control panel, but it doenst appear to.  This didnt at first seem to be an issue, I cranked the sound louder than I wanted, then used the util to dial it down to what i wanted.  Perfect.. except after a reboot teh vol was back up to max and I have to dial it down again with the util.   So it doesnt seem to save and apply the current volume between boots.  At least I couldnt figure out how to get that to work.  I'm going to have to look for a util that actually contorls the system volume slider as that would do what I want. 

ahofle

• Offline Offline
It adjusts the wave volume only, not the master volume.  But the end result is the same for mame and any other games.  It does not 'save' the volume, windows should do that.  It sounds like something else is resetting the volume?  Have you tried manually adjusting the volume (not with cabvol) and rebooting to see if it stays?

As for the multiple sound cards feature, it's pretty unlikely that I'll find the time for that one to be honest.

Nataq

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 09:09:45 am
  • Arcade of the dead... now alive!
    • Arcade of the dead... now alive!
Edit: Found out that problem below had nothing to do with cabvol... still, just because I wondered and others could too I will leave the trace here.  :)

Hey ahofle, a question for you. It seems like since I installed volcab I have strange problems with World Class Bowling. Sound stutters, goes up and down and I am experiencing slowdown in the game. Now even if I dont run cabvol I still have the problems that I didnt had before... My machine ran the game flawlessly before. I am using the trackball for volcab but obviously not holding my hotkey (player 2 start) down while playing. I have noticed another thread mentionning the same problem with World Class Bowling and the guy was also using volcab : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=91851.0

My question is : Even if not running, is there any trace left by volcab on the PC that can be undone ? Does volcab plays with any registry entries and if so wich ones ? How would we go to "reset" everything like if cabvol was never used ?

Thank you!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:48:11 pm by Nataq »

ahofle

• Offline Offline
It adds a few settings to the registry, can't remember the exact spot off the top of my head.  Just search regedit for cabvol. 

metahacker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 03:09:39 am
Edit: Found out that problem below had nothing to do with cabvol... still, just because I wondered and others could too I will leave the trace here.  :)

Hey ahofle, a question for you. It seems like since I installed volcab I have strange problems with World Class Bowling. Sound stutters, goes up and down and I am experiencing slowdown in the game. Now even if I dont run cabvol I still have the problems that I didnt had before... My machine ran the game flawlessly before. I am using the trackball for volcab but obviously not holding my hotkey (player 2 start) down while playing. I have noticed another thread mentionning the same problem with World Class Bowling and the guy was also using volcab : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=91851.0

My question is : Even if not running, is there any trace left by volcab on the PC that can be undone ? Does volcab plays with any registry entries and if so wich ones ? How would we go to "reset" everything like if cabvol was never used ?

Thank you!

you sure you didnt enable triple buffering or vsync or something?

ive had this exact problem before (with this exact same game)....

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2018, 08:45:48 am
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
First of all, great work on this app. Thanks.

Has anyone got this working on Windows 7? I am running it on Windows 7 64-bit and it works just fine within the windows environment. But when I launch MAME or even GameEx for that matter, the buttons don't appear to register. I'm running the Vista build... should this work the same way in Windows 7?

ahofle

• Offline Offline
I haven't tried it on Win 7 yet.  My wife has it on her netbook though so I'll take a look when I can.

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
Thanks. I know you don't want this app to haunt you!

ahofle

• Offline Offline
I'm just a little surprised to hear it doesn't work in Win7.  I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried it before.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 11:34:45 am
  • Keep it looking originallish!
anyone having problems with CabVol and Hyperspin 1.0/ the loss of focus specifically while in HS frontend 1.0
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
anyone having problems with CabVol and Hyperspin 1.0/ the loss of focus specifically while in HS frontend 1.0
When you say "loss of focus", do you mean it simply doesn't react to the programmed keypresses... but then it's fine when you go back to the windows desktop? How about when in MAME? What OS are you running?

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
I haven't tried it on Win 7 yet.  My wife has it on her netbook though so I'll take a look when I can.

Did you ever get the chance to look at this?

ahofle

• Offline Offline

Did you ever get the chance to look at this?

Just tried it in 64bit Win 7 and it seems to work fine in MAME.  I was only able to try using the keys to increment/decrement because the touch pad doesn't register while the hotkey is down, but I didn't have any problems.  Have you tried using keys?

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
That's strange. I was also keeping it simple using keys for vol+/- without a hotkey. I will have another play around with it on the weekend and report back.

Thanks.

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
Sorry to bring this up again, but can someone let me know what the command line would be to quit this program?

Thanks a bunch!

mamefreak2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2019, 10:29:47 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Hi,

Hope nobody minds me bringing up this old thread but I'd really like to use this app.

I'm using a Griffin Powermate for my volume control and in Windows it works perfectly. Unfortunately though the software needs windows to run and so it doesn't help me when I've shelled my front end.

I've shelled Hyperspin and I'd really like to be able to use this. I'm using Windows7 64 bit and I downloaded the Vista and above version of this. I programmed it using the Griffin with the Griffin powermate software running. The volume adjustment and mute adjustment seemed to work. I unclidked the hotkey option because I don't want it:

Once I turned off the Griffin powermate software though, this didn't work. I no longer had any volume control. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong here?

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Hmm, what does the Griffin software do?  Does it emulate keyboard clicks when you move the spinner left or right?  Is it possible to just add it to Windows startup so it's always running?  If I'm not mistaken the Griffin is actually a joystick device is that right?  Unfortunately, cabvol doesn't support joystick devices, only keyboard and mouse.

mamefreak2

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Hmm, what does the Griffin software do?  Does it emulate keyboard clicks when you move the spinner left or right?  Is it possible to just add it to Windows startup so it's always running?  If I'm not mistaken the Griffin is actually a joystick device is that right?  Unfortunately, cabvol doesn't support joystick devices, only keyboard and mouse.
Someone on the Hyperspin board mentioned that he was using your app to work with Cabvol.

The Griffin Powermate is essentially a spinner with a nice glowing blue light. You can program macros into it etc... But it works well as a volume knob. When you press it, it mutes. Problem is that the Griffin powermate software requires that you have windows running for it to work. I've shelled Hyperspin so it's not going to work for me and that's where Cabvol comes in. The guy said he got it to work with the Griffing device.

When I went to program cabvol, I was able to input volume increment key values but ONLY when the Griffin Software was running. Once the Griffin software was turned off, it no longer seemed to capture it. The Griffin Powermate is plugged in via a USB cable into my computer. This is what it looks like: http://www.griffintechnology.com/support/powermate

So like I said, my problem is, once I shut off the Griffin software cabvol doesn't seem to pick it up. Any ideas on how to make this happen?

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Are you sure it requires that Windows be the shell?  Can't you invoke the Griffin software when Hyperspin loads?

mamefreak2

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Are you sure it requires that Windows be the shell?  Can't you invoke the Griffin software when Hyperspin loads?
Unfortunately yes, it does require Windows to work. I have shelled Hyperspin and then opened the Task Manager and run the Griffin software. Nothing happened unfortunately. And this is consistent with what I heard from others that it needs Windows running in order to function.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
So does the Griffin do anything without its software running?  On other words, does MAME or any applications besides CabVol recognize any input from it? 

mamefreak2

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
So does the Griffin do anything without its software running?  On other words, does MAME or any applications besides CabVol recognize any input from it?  
No, it doesn't do anything without the Griffin software running. And the Griffin software won't run without Windows. But the spinner shows up in my hardware devices even when the software isn't running.

How can I map cabvol to the spinner? I'm actually trying to finish my computer off tonight so I can get it into my cabinet this week. Any immediate help (if it's even possible to get it to work) would be appreciated. It seems somebody else was able to do this so I'm hoping you can help me.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
So when you spin it it doesn't move the mouse cursor or press any keys?  If not, I don't know of any way to get CabVol to recognize it. :(

mamefreak2

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
So when you spin it it doesn't move the mouse cursor or press any keys?  If not, I don't know of any way to get CabVol to recognize it. :(
Ah that sucks. Oh well, nice try anyways. Thanks.

zanna5910

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2023, 02:43:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sorry to dig this up, but any chance in a "start minimized" option?

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Yep just create a shortcut to it and set it to run 'minimized'.  Then drag that shortcut into your startup folder.

zanna5910

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2023, 02:43:41 pm
Yep just create a shortcut to it and set it to run 'minimized'.  Then drag that shortcut into your startup folder.

Gracias.   You learn something new every day.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Hey ahofle! Fantastic little piece of software you've made here. Wiring volume pots, taking apart speakers, drilling holes in cabs mounting hardware ect ect is a thing of the past for me thanks to this! You have made my life a WHOLE lot easier. Many thanks!!  :cheers:  Downloaded and installed in about 2 min. Works like a champ. Only wish I had found this earlier!
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

flaviometal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2014, 04:31:31 pm
Excelent work, ahofle! 

Question: is there a way to make this work with a "non-keyboard based" arcade controler? Make the software recognize a gamepad or something? I've tried with Joy2key without success...

newoski

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2021, 07:44:50 am
Hi,

Not sure if this is still being developed, but it would amazing to have a setting to only allow 1 instance of the app to be running. I have it in a startup script for HyperSpin, which means that during testing, I end up with tons of instances of the app running (as I close and re-open HyperSpin)