Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Here's an app to control volume with your spinner/trackball/joysticks/buttons...  (Read 89895 times)

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Based on an idea in this thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=69805.0

...I threw together a small application which allows you to set a hotkey which, when held down, allows you to control your windows wave output volume using a mouse device (spinner, trackball) and/or keyboard device (joysticks/buttons connected to a keyboard interface such as IPAC or keywiz).  Basically you can set it up to control cabinet volume using only arcade controls.  It only works on NT/2000/XP/Vista and it requires the .NET 2.0 framework which you can download from microsoft.  There are a bunch of apps like this out there, but the ones I've tried are not very cabinet friendly (requires use of the mouse scroll wheel, special 'windows' key, etc).  I hope someone gets some use out of it.

NT/2000/XP (this build does NOT work with Windows 7 and higher):
http://hofle.com/mame/CabVol.zip

Windows 7 (ONLY works with Vista/Win7/Win8 and higher):
http://hofle.com/mame/CabVol-VistaOnly.zip

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:26:29 am by ahofle »

Chunce DeLeone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2012, 02:58:11 pm
YOUR THE MAN DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :notworthy: :applaud:

You Just Made a Tron Spinner Vol Knob!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 09:34:35 am by Chunce DeLeone »

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
Thsi is a great little application ..... may I suggest a little update to it ....

For a jukebox cabinet, having a little spinner know would be great for volume, however, having to press the hotkey while turning the spinner knob is not really great (for a jukebox cabinet).    Perhaps you could add an option in this application to indicate whether the HotKey should be used or not. 

Basically, for a jukebox scenario, walking up to the cabinet and turning the knob should always adjust the volume.  Would not want to have to get people to press a hotkey first then turn the knob for a jukebox ...... I understand why you do it for an arcade cabinet, but it just is not that friendly for a jukebox cabinet.

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
Very cool program man!! Once my cabinet is done ill be running this software!
Neil

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Thsi is a great little application ..... may I suggest a little update to it ....

For a jukebox cabinet, having a little spinner know would be great for volume, however, having to press the hotkey while turning the spinner knob is not really great (for a jukebox cabinet).    Perhaps you could add an option in this application to indicate whether the HotKey should be used or not. 

Hmm interesting...  Are there people out there that have a spinner on their jukebox with no trackball or mouse (it would have to be totally mouseless or else the program would start wildly adjusting the volume around when you used the trackball/mouse)?

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
I just installed this and it seems fairly cool, one question/request though.  Would it be possible to add z-axis control of the volume?  I don't yet have a spinner but my plans include one running off of the x-axis of a TB controller, the trackball would be x and y and the spinner would be z.  I think this is actually a fairly common approach and would allow me to use a TT2 spinner as the interface for both a trackball and spinner and then use the spinner for volume.  OK I lied, two requests... Is it possible to allow holding down a key for continuous volume control, right now I have it assigned to a joystick and to control the volume I have to tap it instead of hold it down, I suppose if I fine tune the adjustment increment then I could get a solution worked out.

Overall I think this software will save me a bunch of work, I was planning on replacing the wheel style volume control in-line with my computer speakers in the cabinet w/ a knob and that would have either been a complete custom cable or a hacked factory one.

Thank you for a great application, I like it as is and feel that the additions would only make it better.

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
Yeah, I guess a lot of people would not have a hacked mouse as a spinner for their jukebox, although if your application had this ability perhaps more people would hack a mouse for volume adjustment.   It would be pretty cool to have a knob of the jukebox to adjust volume.

Actually, you could do a lot with this program if you wanted to ...... you could allow people to map a certain key to moving the mouse "right" and another key to moving the mouse "left".   This way turning the spinner knob could be used to select a game in a game list, flip through all the various emulators installed on a cabinet, etc ... etc ...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 08:45:16 pm by unclet »

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
Very, very nice.  Thanks for putting this together, as it'll be a huge help to everyone here on the forum!
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
you are totally the man... I am glad I posted this thread!!! :)

Can't wait to try it ... my cab is all unplugged but my test / mockup CP is coming together and I'll make sure to set up your app.

thanks again

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Would it be possible to add z-axis control of the volume? 

I'll look into this.  I know the scroll wheel is reported differently than the X and Y movement (more like a keypress) but I think it should be easy to do.

Is it possible to allow holding down a key for continuous volume control, right now I have it assigned to a joystick and to control the volume I have to tap it instead of hold it down, I suppose if I fine tune the adjustment increment then I could get a solution worked out.

It works that way already.  Try going to your keyboard control panel and increasing the repeat rate.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
Did not work in 64 bit version with Vista Premuim on my work machine.  All Inputs works in debug mode, but it did never change that volume (I have UAC user control disabled).

Otherwice Cool app to see and good use on a arcade cab (maybe on my primary arcadecab, where I use VolumeTray, that works as it should).

A request is been able to remove that config window and send it to the system tray, when you minimize it, after you configurated it. next start should allways start as minimized state.

About around repeat rate problem:
 Do NEVER change volume, directly on PollEvent() events. PollEvent() should even been use to check if key is pressed down or not.

Instead use a input variable and change that that to 1 if KeyDown() is invoked and 0 if KeyUp() is invoked (and ONLY that).

Then use a timer event to detect when it time to change the volume and check the variable for the keypress status. Now the key repeat is gone.

About mouse spinner
 Not all jukebox software need that, because it added to that software (like my own MultiJuke), but it would been cool to use a spinner without need to press a key or not (should been user choiseable). If you do that, this app would been suitable for arcade cabs and jukebox cabs (that do not have a touchscreen).

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:41:50 am by Space Fractal »
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
OK I added the Z axis.  It seems to work with my mouse scroll wheel.  Not sure how it will work with a spinner hooked to the Z axis though.

About around repeat rate problem:
 Do NEVER change volume, directly on PollEvent() events. PollEvent() should even been use to check if key is pressed down or not.

???
This uses windows hooks, not polling.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
for some reason it does not work for me

i map to mouse x.
my spinner is mapped to mouse x

there is also a trackball (x and y mouse) ... conflict?

also it'd be awesome if this could start and minimize as a system tray app

thanks!!!!

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Are you using Vista?  Someone else reported it doesn't work with that OS too.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
no, just xp pro with a bunch of services disabled (maybe thats it)

it does launch and run, just no effect

thanks

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Try checking on the 'debug mode' checkbox and make sure you are picking up the mouse and keyboard events.  Dumb question but you are holding down the hotkey right? 

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
yep

I am assigning the MAME P1 Switch 2 ("ALT", the mame default), from a happ pushbutton plugged to an I-PAC 2.

I will check the debug mode when I get home :)

thanks...

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
I am sad this is not working for me :(

the key presses are listed in the debug list, and the mouse x axis value (where my spinner is assigned) changes

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Re: Here's an app to control volume with your spinner/trackball/joysticks/button
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 10:19:12 am »
Just for kicks, can you try a different hotkey (like 'A' or '2' or something, not a special character).  Also make sure your focus is not on the cabvol program when testing (minimize it) because it will think you are trying to set the hotkey if you are focused in that field.  To test, I usually play an mp3 or something that has constant sound. 

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
OK! I will do that...

Is there any way to make CabVol.exe start minimized in the task bar?

I know how to add a shortcut to it in the Startup folder (so it starts when windows boots) BUT the UI shows up on top of MaLa frontend...

Thanks!!!

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Re: Here's an app to control volume with your spinner/trackball/joysticks/button
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 05:09:16 pm »
OK! I will do that...

Is there any way to make CabVol.exe start minimized in the task bar?

I know how to add a shortcut to it in the Startup folder (so it starts when windows boots) BUT the UI shows up on top of MaLa frontend...

Thanks!!!

Drag a shortcut to cabvol.exe into your startup folder, and then go to the shortcut's properties and select Run: 'Minimized'.  It should then start with Windows and minimize itself.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
You might try to use bass.dll or fmod.dll as a alternative to change the volume, when it dosent work (I remember it can change the main volume, so it should effect other apps as well)? The only problem it may confuce with some Jukebox applications (which many use bass.dll)... The user could try it if it fail witch the normal api.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
IT WORKS NOW!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

thank you thakn you thank you

(configured P2 START as hot key, and set increments to 1000... like a charm!)

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 01:58:00 am »
Glad to hear it!  :cheers:
I guess 'alt' doesn't work too well as a hot key for whatever reason.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
this totally rocks...

I just spent about 1 hour playing various games, loving the volume control.
P2 START is a pretty good key for it too... I use P1 START to select items in MaLa

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
weird...

ok so i launch a game
then set the volume how i want it
then play
then exit the game

now

if i launch the same game again
without changing volume
it is LOUD again!

and
if i try to change volume again
it doesnt work all the way (changes but not below a certain value)

whats going on?

i use my spinner and increments are set to 250 i think

does your app controle mame's game volume, or the windows / general volume?  .. why is it changing on game launch?  ... is it perhaps reading the mouse x (spinner) and resetting itself?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:34:30 pm by ARTIFACT »

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2007, 05:17:54 pm »
Hmm I'm not sure.  I just tried what you did in MAME and when I exited and came back in the volume was the same.  What version of MAME are you using?

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
i compiled my own 117u3 with high score support and no nag screens

im about to do the same with version 118 and use that

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
One tiiiny feature request from me... :)

Right now, if by mistake I toggle from MaLa to the cab volume app, focus is on the hotkey field... if I then press a key, it simply messes up the configuration... I just had folks over playing on the arcade and couldn't figure out why it wans't working anymore... it was because the key had been changed by mistake... :(

Could you make it so the text field must be CLICKED to wait for a key change?

Thank you!!!

postalp123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:07:50 pm
  • Retro-gamers don't just play, they reminisce.
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 10:52:32 pm »
Great program Afole, but im having a slight issue with it...

When my cabinet boots up into MAMEwah, your program seems to always boot on top of it in focus, is there anyway to have it stay in the background or even minimized in my tray?

Aside from that, awesome job mate!

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 12:19:18 am »
Have you tried running it minimized at startup?

Drag a shortcut to cabvol.exe into your startup folder, and then go to the shortcut's properties and select Run: 'Minimized'.  It should then start with Windows and minimize itself.

postalp123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:07:50 pm
  • Retro-gamers don't just play, they reminisce.
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 08:56:08 am »
Have you tried running it minimized at startup?

TY Sir! Ill give it a shot when I get home, But im sure that will do it.

Props again for this program.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
it would be great if the focus was not being automatically set to the hotkey change action though... even if the app will generally be minimized... it would add an extra click to avoid switching the key by mistake :)

right now if i use alt+tab to flip between my apps (mala, cabvol, sometimes a folder open to copy files or notepad to edit ini files...)... well flipping to cabvol and to another app ... changes he hotkey o alt or tab ...

thanks for the hard work! one less hole to make i my cab or wires to solder :)

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 12:10:36 am »
I will try and look into that soon.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 11:34:40 am »

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
you ROCK!

i will try tonight :)

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
much better!

thank you

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
Is there any way you can add a Mute hokey combination to this fabulous little app?

Thanks!
-csa

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Hmm that's not a bad idea.  I'll look into it when I get a chance. 

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
awesome!  you the man.
-csa