Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TimeSink - Dedicated Vertical Cab  (Read 60483 times)

theCoder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
Re: TimeSink - Dedicated Vertical Cab
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2007, 02:16:25 am »
CPU Installed
Today I started mounting the electronics into the cab.  First, I added a large 12” shelf to mount all the LED circuits, amplifier, and IPac.  On my first cab, the electronics were mounted on a board, which was later attached to the side.  That made maintenance difficult.  I am hoping to get at all the wiring while sitting comfortably in a chair.  When complete, there will be 5 LED circuits, 1 amp, & 1 keyboard wedge with all associated wires mounted on that board.  It will be crowded when all is said and done but should work out well.

The PC, Subwoofer, and LED power supply are held in place with strapping tape (pliable lead based metal strips).  They should not move around if/when I put this thing in the back of a truck. 

Most all of the LED stuff is powered by a mondo 3 amp 5 vdc power supply I picked up at Goodwill for $5.00.  It is mounted on the right wall, below the shelf.  3 amps should be able to drive over 150 LED’s.  As it stands there is going to be around 60 in total.  The one circuit that will not be driven by this transformer is the always on, red/green power button.  It is run from a very small transformer plugged into the “always hot” power strip.  Power from the large transformer is wired into a black (ground) and a white (+5vdc) terminal block.  This should make wiring up the LED’s and circuits cleaner and less error prone.

There are two sets of custom wires connected to the PC.  The blue ones are attached to a PC power plug and supply 12 vdc to the power relay stuffed in the power plug box.  The small red/black - black/white wires are attached to the PC on/off pushbutton wire and go to the red/green power button on the front of the cab.

I took a stab at getting the OS to boot with no evidence of Windows.  Tomorrow I'm picking up an old PCI video card to see if the “two video cards, one monitor” trick hides the Manufacturer logo and BIOS boot messages.  The Windows logon screens, sounds, and message boxes are gone.  I still have an annoying flicker of M$ light blue on exit.  So far, I've got the power on time down to around 29 seconds; hoping to get to around 17-20 with more tuning.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2007, 02:06:43 am »
Hiding PC Evidence
One thing I hated about my first cab was you could tell it was driven by a Windows PC.  On this project I want to hide all evidence of the computer and its operating system.  There are a lot of good write-ups on the topic, and I tried most of what I could find, plus some more.  I’m glad to report that I’m almost completely there, and what I don’t have, I know what is needed.  For a clean boot you need to (in boot sequence order):

1)   Hide the motherboard manufacturer boot image
2)   Hide the BIOS boot text
3)   Hide the Windows Welcome screen
4)   Hide the mouse pointer
5)   Bypass the Windows logon screen
6)   Launch straight into the arcade menu, bypassing Explorer with its task bar, icons, and 5-15 seconds of load time.
7)   Optimize boot time (perhaps you should do this first??)

Hide Boot Image / BIOS
I was excited when I brought home a used PCI video card to try the two video card trick.  Little did I know, this trick only works if you have an existing AGP card.  It took me about an hour of screwing around with configurations/reboots before I read the instructions more carefully.  Unfortunately my PC does not have and AGP card, nor AGP slot. 

Plan B – Somehow delay turning on the Monitor.  This should work, the monitor is plugged into a power strip, controlled by a relay.  All I need to do is delay turning on the relay until the BIOS screen is gone.  Stretching waaaaaaay back in my schooling, I remember something about RC circuits.  If you put a capacitor in parallel with a device, it is basically a dead short to until it gets mostly charged, then current will flow to the other parts of the circuit.  A little Google later and I came up with a circuit.  The math didn’t seem to work out though.  Seconds (delay) = Farads (capacitance) X Ohms (resistance).  To get the 20 seconds or so I needed a capacitor the size of a beer can!  I picked up the biggest one StuffShack had to offer (200 uf), the biggest resistor they had (1M ohm pot) and gave it a go.  I could delay the lighting of an LED for about 4 seconds but a relay would not turn on at all.  I had too much resistance in the circuit.  After lots of fiddling around, research, and asking co-workers, it was back to the drawing board. 

Plan B’ – Build a custom circuit using my newfound skills with PIC controllers.  Yea, that’s it, beat it up with code.  The software took all of 15 minutes to hack from one of my LED controller projects.  I had a very small 5 vdc relay left over from the Xcelerator vibrating seat project.  The PIC could turn on the small relay, which could turn on the power strip relay.  The software was very simple.  2 states, Waiting (output=off) and DoneWaiting (output=on).  I soldered up the PIC, wiring the output to the relay, and a couple of wires for power and relay closure to the power strip relay.  No Go.  It took me a while to figure out that the PIC does not provide enough current to drive the small relay.  I then hacked in a small transistor, and fed the relay from that.  I was really surprised when it clicked on after about a 15 second delay.  Good stuff.  The circuit and small relay are powered from the 5 vdc side of a PC power connector (red & black).  The small relay provides 12 vdc (from PC, yellow & black) to the power strip relay that provides 110vac to the power strip/rest of the cab.  Once convinced that the whole thing was not going to burst into flames, I taped the circuit to the PC power connector to protect it. 

I wanted to put in a pot to provide a variable time delay, but it was late, and I didn’t have the patience to wait.  It is currently hard coded at around 15 seconds.  If I should be so lucky to get my boot time below that, perhaps I’ll revisit that decision.  Or maybe if someone is in the market…

Hide the Windows Welcome screen
Lots of write-ups on this.  Used  /noguiboot, set background color to black, and changed “how users log on”.

Hide Mouse Pointer
I was nervous about this one.  It is very hard navigating windows in the dark.  Rather than following the tutorials, setting the cursor to a completely invisible one, I created a custom cursor that was all black, with one grey pixel at the tip.  All of my cursors (registry hack) are set to this new cursor.  Now, on boot, if you’re looking for it, you see one grey pixel in the center of the black screen.  If needed, it is still there.  Once over a white window or other common app, the black shows up fine.

Bypass the Windows logon screen
Well documented hack:  Start/Run “control userpasswords2”.

Launch straight into the arcade menu
Again, lots of write-ups on this one.  This is the one step not yet completed.  I have yet to configure my menu (Mala).  Right now, it boots to Explorer, with the task bar minimized. 

Optimize Boot Time
After lots of research and hacking, I reduced the number of services down to about 9.  Deleted most all of the fonts, set system performance to “best”, etc, etc, etc.  This got the boot down to about 28 seconds.  The minlogon utility (hacked winlogon.exe from MS) brought it down to 22 seconds.  Unfortunately, this disabled the power button / Windows shutdown.  Not an option – revert back.  Bootvis (another MS utility) got it back down to around 22 seconds.  According to that utility, I’m launching Explorer at around 17 seconds into the sequence.  Hopefully, replacing Explorer with Mala will reduce the boot time even more.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2007, 02:07:50 am »
Internal Lighting
So many LEDs, so little time.  After hours a messing around inside the cab, fiddling with a household lamp to see what’s going on, I decided to wire in some lights inside the cab.  While on a buying spree a while back, I picked up a bag of high intensity white LEDs ($7 per bag of 100, delivered).  Wired to a switch mounted on the electronics board, three LEDs are mounted under the marquee, lighting the electronics board, and three LEDs are mounted under the electronics board, lighting the PC and power section.  Its probably overkill, but it should save my eyesight a little???  If nothing else, it looks cool in the dark.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2007, 06:14:26 pm »
Control Panel Work
Today I managed to get in some time on the project.  Lots of little things like rewiring for a different CPU, speaker adjustments & locktite, coin door adjustment, mounting an external fan, etc.  The most notable of which was the CP work.

We have a large format printer at work that works great for control panel artwork.  I taped the artwork down, center punched the holes, drilled for the JS, Spinner and 3 buttons.  After lots of Dremmel work to account for tight quarters and a few minor “oh, shoot”s it is getting pretty close. 

A while back I found Future Pinball and fell in love.  While the Forstner bits were out, I drilled the holes for the pinball buttons.  They turned out harder than I thought.  The JS on the left was close to the left edge and came down quite a bit.  Meanwhile the 3rd button on the right was close to the right edge.  It took a bit of time to figure out a location what would fit and still be comfortable.  Unfortunately the optimal location required two CP box screws to be removed.  The heads were just a bit in line with where the button holes were going.  The CP box is mounted well right now and I don't want to remove it.  This caused me to have to use a Philips insert with a pair of pliers to 1/4 turn by 1/4 turn back them out.  That took about 10 minutes each. 

The pictures show white pinball buttons, but they will be replaced with black ones.  I'm also using leaf switches everywhere instead of clickers.  They just feel right.

The last picture is of a bunch of resistors.  The fan was very loud at full speed.  I put a bunch of resistors in line to lower the voltage, dropping its speed, and therefore the noise.  There are two sets of three.  The two sets are in series, making the resistance around 120 ohms.  With just two resistors, they got VERY hot.  So I ganged up three in parallel to bring down the current in each.

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2007, 09:14:14 pm »
I assume that the Plexiglas strip is what was getting in the way of your unscrewing.  It looks like it may have been too tight for this trick, but for future reference, if there's room you can take a small ratchet wrench with the appropriately sized socket for the screw tip and ratchet the screw out.  When there's not enough room for a screwdriver but enough room for the socket it's a definite time saver.

Your progress looks good.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2007, 11:05:22 pm »
The Plexiglas was in the way, as was some supporting wood blocks.  Even with the blocks hacked away with the Dremmel, it was a bear to get at.  I'm pretty sure I broke a few of the LED wires as well.  A very small ratchet would have helped out greatly.  Thanks.

jlfreund

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2023, 06:26:07 pm
    • My project's blog
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2007, 11:42:18 pm »
Can we get a sticky for this thread?  This cabinet gives kneivel a run for his money.  AWESOME-O.

AlexKidd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2010, 06:46:24 pm
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2007, 01:54:13 am »
For setting up a monitor turn on delay you could look into hooking up to a serial port on the computer and have a small program that runs once windows is booted up and powers the relay to switch on the monitor.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2007, 01:46:42 am »
Can we get a sticky for this thread?  This cabinet gives kneivel a run for his money.  AWESOME-O.
No sticky please.  I'll condense the content when its done and post it in the "Examples" section for long term archive/access.  "A run for his money..."  I'm not racing, just curious, fearless, and enjoying geeking out with the different technologies.  Thanks for the compliment.

For setting up a monitor turn on delay you could look into hooking up to a serial port on the computer and have a small program that runs once windows is booted up and powers the relay to switch on the monitor.
Based on your skills, it would probably be a whole lot easier to control the timing with this approach (software) than what I came up with.  You could track down an always hot pin (DSR perhaps), have that drive a small transistor, which drives the power relay.  You'd still need to get power to drive the relay coil from something other than the serial port; perhaps from an extra 12vdc line from the PC.  Great idea.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2007, 08:05:26 am »
No sticky please.  I'll condense the content when its done and post it in the "Examples" section for long term archive/access.  "A run for his money..."  I'm not racing, just curious, fearless, and enjoying geeking out with the different technologies.  Thanks for the compliment.

I say... I do think Coder is blushing.  ;)

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2007, 02:29:33 am »
Spinner Knob
I bought a spinner knob almost a year ago when I bought the spinner.  Unfortunately, now that I’m ready for it, it is nowhere to be found.  It’s probably safely stashed away in a secure place, yea, that’s it.  I’ll probably find it next week.

My friend Jim offered to make me a new one.  The one I lost had a large O-Ring around the perimeter that felt really nice feel.  I couldn’t find any O-Rings as large as the original, but did come up with two slightly smaller ones.  It is held in place with two small setscrews hidden under one of the O-rings.  While he was at it, Jim went ahead and engraved “Time Sink” in the top.  It is hard to see in the pictures, but it looks very cool and reflects light when spinning.  The polished aluminum matches the chrome of the JS rod and the chrome around the buttons. 

Control Panel Installed
I work for “major” printer and computer manufacturer.  About a year ago, they opened a “Product Experience” room on-site to demonstrate, promote, and basically let the employees abuse our printer and camera technologies.  In there are a couple of high end large format printers.  Never guess where I printed my CP artwork?  We recently came out with a large format pigment based ink (instead of dye) that is supposedly more resistant to water and UV damage.  The guy running the room was very excited to help.

Nothing fancy on the wiring.  Three buttons, one JS, and pre-wired USB spinner.  No connectors, all wires soldered, stapled down, and tied together.  Given the small number of wires, I’m going to skip using a quick connect (a D9 would have worked) and just run the wires straight to the I-Pac.  Lazy?  Perhaps.  But fewer joints to fail.  I’m using backlit chrome ringed buttons from Ultimarc and leaf spring switches throughout.

Before applying the artwork and t-molding, I spray painted the edges of the CP wood black to hide anything that might show through the Plexiglas or at the border with the t-molding.

Remaining…
·   Mount smoked glass
·   Mount & wire admin buttons
·   Pinball nudge system (should be cool…stay tuned)
·   I-Pac wiring
·   Finish OS, Menu, and Game setup
·   Dancing LED circuitry for speakers & bezel lights

Dmod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2012, 06:50:45 pm
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2007, 12:31:47 am »
That spinner engraving is a really nice touch. 
My Projects:
Suspended Animation Scratch-built Cab
Driveshaft Arcade Seat Platform

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2007, 03:11:30 pm »
Here is an idea for your spinner.  Take a 1/8" thick piece of plexi and cut a circle to fit under the spinner, use a holesaw.  Spray one side of the plexi with silver paint and sand the heck out of the edge.  Then light it up with 2-4 LEDs from below.  That should give a nice glow from under the spinner knob. ;D

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2007, 07:28:13 pm »
That spinner engraving is a really nice touch. 
Jim is funny that way.  Why just make something, when you can make it over the top?  Nice friend to have. 

Here is an idea for your spinner.  Take a 1/8" thick piece of plexi and cut a circle to fit under the spinner, use a holesaw.  Spray one side of the plexi with silver paint and sand the heck out of the edge.  Then light it up with 2-4 LEDs from below.  That should give a nice glow from under the spinner knob. ;D

Good idea, thanks.  I think I'll pass though.  There is too much green light on this thing already.   The spinner is right in front of the side lit TimeSink Plexiglas window, and the engraved letters flicker green from the reflections when spinning.  I'll try to capture it in a video when I get all the lights working the way I want.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2007, 03:27:46 am »
Front End Menu
After many nights of messing around with OS settings, Mame and Future Pinball configurations, Mala setup, and Photoshop artwork, my computer is ready to go.  Attached is a screen shot of the menu.  I'm using a modified version of the VCP03 skin by tobu.  In addition to a select collection of vertical Mame games, I've loaded around 50 of the “better” Future Pinball titles.  They look good in the vertical orientation. 

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2007, 03:02:03 pm »
Very cool cabinet!  The more I read people's projects, the more pissed I get that I didn't hold off and buy a house with a garage!   :(
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

dweebs0r

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2023, 04:49:40 pm
  • Ascendo tuum!
    • Jodys Garage Arcade
« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2007, 09:15:28 pm »
Wow.  Awesome work on the cabinet as usual.  I have a couple of comments and questions to ask.

First of all, because of your comments on this thread, I downloaded and installed Future Pinball.  What a cool little program that is.  Thanks for introducing me to it.  I have a dedicated vertical cabinet myself and I would like to add Future Pinball to the cab.  It seems like there are dozens of Future Pinball tables.  Some are great.  Others, not so much. 

What are a few good Future Pinball tables?  Can you attach your list of the "better" Future Pinball tables?
How do you load Future Pinball tables from Mala?

Thanks for the help.
-Dweebs

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:24:30 pm by dweebs0r »

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2007, 11:52:11 am »
Wow.  Awesome work on the cabinet as usual...  What are a few good Future Pinball tables?  Can you attach your list of the "better" Future Pinball tables?

Thanks.  I've got around 50 tables loaded.  I basically cherry picked them based on the ranking at http://fprelease.free.fr/?page=1   Once I found a couple of authors I liked, I downloaded all of their other tables.  In general, I like the originals better than remakes, with a few exceptions.  Some authors have some beautiful tables that do not play well.  Others have great playing tables with practically no graphics.  Anyway, the short list of my favorite tables includes:

Alien Poker (Graphics are a little low res, but the play is awesome.  Just like the original)
Cyclone
Dead Hunters
Fire Power (Another remake of a classic.  The background sound is just as annoying as ever)
Killer Klowns
Mission Impossible
Road Girls (Great play, but there's a little too much T&A for the wife & kids)
Sci-Fi Classic (Original by the makers of Future Pinball.  Great action).
Space Invaders II (Cool concept.  Moving targets to worry about)
Vortex (Fast action remake)

How do you load Future Pinball tables from Mala?

To get the tables working in Mala, I followed the instructions posted by SGT at: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68419.0   This approach allows you to treat the tables like Mame roms, putting them all in the same emulator so you do not have to switch back & forth.  It also allows the Mala "Favorites" list to include both Mame games as well as Future Pinball tables.  One problem I had was the script does not support embedded spaces in the file names of the *.fpt files.  I had to remove spaces from the .fpt files to get them to work.

Good luck with it.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2007, 06:10:57 pm »
Operational
At work we do off-site team building activities every once and a while.  This time around, it was my turn to recommend the venue.  I was pleased when “gaming in my basement” was selected over paintball.  Nothing against paintball, but I really wanted an opportunity to show my coworkers these crazy arcade machines they've been hearing about for the past few years.

With that said, I got moving on a number of loose ends on the project.  The admin buttons are mounted in the front glass retainer.  The controls and lights are wired.  The CPU is complete and mounted.  The menu is configured, complete with a select set of vertical Mame games and Future Pinball tables.  It is fully operational.  I just spent about an hour playing the “War of the Worlds” table by Roney.  Oh, man…

All that remains is the pinball nudge system, making a custom circuit to make the LEDs on the front dance around, and mounting the to-be-delivered piece of smoked glass.

I found a nice place for it, right behind the Xcelerator driving cab.  Now, for the first time in several months, the basement is clean.  The wife is happy.  Bring on the party.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2007, 06:19:58 pm »
awesome dude... it looks great!
 :applaud:

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2007, 06:26:50 pm »
That fills out your little arcade nicely and looks good.

dweebs0r

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2023, 04:49:40 pm
  • Ascendo tuum!
    • Jodys Garage Arcade
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2007, 09:30:29 pm »
Looks great. 

The only thing I want more of in your threads are hi-res pictures.  Reading this forum reminds me of when I was a kid and I would look through Sears catalog (at the breasts in the bra section) to pick out all of the things I wanted one day.  I need more pics to satisfy my arcade craving.

-D

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2007, 10:42:48 am »
woah, looking good... I'm wicked jealous of your gameroom...   :cheers:

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2007, 04:47:17 pm »
Where did you get your strapping tape? I've walked all up and down Home Depot and cannot find the stuff. All they have is a water heater earthquake strap kit that costs nearly $20.

By the way, I love how the inside of your cab looks. Awesome stuff. I'm at that point of my install, putting the components in.  :applaud:

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys.

The only thing I want more of in your threads are hi-res pictures. 
I'm working with pretty high res pics to start from.  I arbitrarily picked 5x3" as a default save size to keep Saint from having to buy more spindles, and save on the upload/download speed.  I could easily bump up the sizes from here on, say 7x5.

woah, looking good... I'm wicked jealous of your gameroom...   :cheers:
Thanks.  I somehow stumbled upon this house that has a large 20 x 30 ft room in the basement.  Not pictured is the airhockey table (picture taken backed up against it), XBox station (small tv & a couple of floor chairs), and the dart board.  My wife is starting a business that will need 1/3 of the space.  The airhockey & xbox stuff will likely be the first to go.

Where did you get your strapping tape? I've walked all up and down Home Depot and cannot find the stuff.
I got mine at Home Depot.  It is in a roll, in a carboard/plastic package hanging on a peg.  Ask the old grizzly guy (not the young punk) in the orange apron.  I think it was around $4.00.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2007, 09:19:17 pm »
Speaking of Air Hockey... I won't own one again. They are fun to play, but super loud. I was happy to see mine go.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2007, 07:49:17 pm »
Speaking of Air Hockey... I won't own one again. They are fun to play, but super loud. I was happy to see mine go.
Not to mention the dings in the wall and the bruises on the chest from flying pucks.  I'll be glad when mine is gone as well.

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2015, 08:54:20 am
  • The only game I ever completed... so far.
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2008, 05:44:01 pm »
The chrome rings around these buttons should look nice when surrounded by colored light.

Hi theCoder, very interesting thread  :applaud:

I am currently trying to source light blue buttons, it looks like from the button picture that your buttons are light blue (with chrome surrounds). Are these the Ultralux ones? I also notice you have green tops with blue sides on the buttons? Is this because you couldn't source green ones? I am about to give up sourcing light blue ones, was thinking of going with clear ones and then putting a blue film on the top to make it blue - do you think this might work?

Ex
My kitchen cab is progressing here

weisshaupt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 04:00:18 pm
    • The Ghost in the Machine Project Thread
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2008, 06:14:26 pm »

If anyone else uses this technique, please post your results (here, there, somewhere).  I'm interested in different approaches to increase the intensity and minimize the hot spots.

I Sort of did this.. My CP used CCFL lights on the edge of plexi to light up etchings, and my Spinner and Twisty grip use something similar to diffuse the light.  It seems that the lighting would end up more uniform if you did embed a CCFL - whcih you could do just be routing a slot in the edge of the plexi..

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=75411.0
“A government ... cannot have the right of altering itself. If it had, it would be arbitrary. It might make itself what it pleased; and wherever such a right is set up, it shews there is no constitution” - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2009, 12:36:44 am »
My company forced me to move half way across the US to Austin Texas.  The movers dropped off my household goods a few days ago.  In the move, the hard drive in TimeSink crashed.  I probably should have mounted the computer on spongy rubber or something similar;  or better yet, taken the CPU out and had it properly packaged up.  At least I have a backup.  Or maybe I'll rebuild the computer from the OS up just for something to do.  I've lost my access to a nice wood shop (for now) but still have the means to rebuild a computer.

On a related note, I had to let the Xcelerator go.  My new home does not have a game room and the kids stopped playing it a while ago.  I had it on Craig's list for a few months but got no response.  It was a real drag, but I practically gave it away 2 days before the movers showed up for $250.  Ouch...

Beretta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2021, 02:11:30 pm
« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2009, 04:58:07 am »
While on a buying spree a while back, I picked up a bag of high intensity white LEDs ($7 per bag of 100, delivered). 

i realize this was 2 years ago but do you remember where you got them?

100 white led's for 7 bucks is a steal.. im sure it's went up since then though.
Anyone got change for a dollar?
PLEASE HELP NEED Fastmame .70 and .9* releases

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2009, 04:40:29 pm »
While on a buying spree a while back, I picked up a bag of high intensity white LEDs ($7 per bag of 100, delivered). 

i realize this was 2 years ago but do you remember where you got them?

100 white led's for 7 bucks is a steal.. im sure it's went up since then though.
I got them off of ebay.  Lots of people have them there very cheap.