Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My CP Layout, Spinner + drill/router bits questions  (Read 4477 times)

ARTIFACT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
My CP Layout, Spinner + drill/router bits questions
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:19:52 pm »
(UPDATING THE THREAD TITLE TO REFLECT THE CP LAYOUT DESIGN + SPINNER CONVERSATIONS)

What drill & router bits do I need to get in order to get started on my CP (test/scrap piece first of course!!!)?

I'll have:

. standard size Happ Pushbuttons (6 std buttons per player, 2 start buttons, 1 menu button, 2 pinball buttons ... coin ones plug to coin door)
. 2x U360 joysticks

Also:
. possibly a SlikStik Tornado Spinner (ANYONE HAS THE DIMENSIONS FOR THIS?)
. possibly a 3" or 2 1/4" Happ Trackball

FYI - I have a router and drills and am not scared to use them :) ... it's the various bits I am unsure about

My available CP surface is 28" wide (25" clear, due to 2x2's on each side) by ~8" (I am hoping to make the spinner+trackball fit! Looks possible, but if you guys see red flag issues, let me know!)

OLD PICS (SEE UPDATED / LATEST LAYOUTS BELOW IN THREAD)

Overview (hidden lines):

CLICK HERE FOR LARGE VERSION

Overview (x-ray):

THANKS A TON IN ADVANCE guys
GO BYOAC  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:20:29 am by ARTIFACT »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
I'd get that exit button away from the trackball if I were you.  That said, you need a 1-1/8" bit for the buttons and a 3/8" bit for the slikstik tornado spinner (only the shaft goes through)... not sure about anything else though - probably a dado or straight bit for routing out material for plates and stuff.

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
For the button and joystick and possibly the spinner, use 1 1/8 spade bits or hole saw.  Since your cp is wood, I would think the holesaw would work better as less chipping.  For Happ trackball, use a 3in hole saw to cut the hole.  If using a trackball mount, you will need a straight trimming bit to route off a bit of the cp to flush mount.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
thanks guys!

yes the exit / menu button should be out of the way - what location do you suggest?  i want my kid to easily access it to switch games (not too far up or away from cp), without hitting it by accident :)

i will also position the sticks vertically to have more space

keep the info coming! much appreciated

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
Another suggestion getting more space, have you consider 1x3 support instead of the 2x2.  If you use latches and have support on all 4 side, I don't see a problem with that. 

There's also the possibility of putting support on the 4 corner and freeing up the middle giving you all 28in to work with like my poor attempt as attached.

Forgot to mention the white section is the 4 corner support.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
I'm not sure why any supports are needed since it looks like he drilled in from the sides.  I would get rid of them completely.  As for the "exit" button, I'd relocate it to the far top left or top right corner - as far away as possible from any other button/control.  This is a pic of my CP:

The exit button is the lone button on the far left and the 3 on the right are P1 start, P2 start and pause.  Just a thought.   :cheers:

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
I'm not sure why any supports are needed since it looks like he drilled in from the sides.  I would get rid of them completely. 

well

i dont want to screw to the plywood side - it slits easily - so the mounts decouple and make a much stronger cp top. i dont trust screws on plywood edge.

in any case i may have enough width
and i can always cut the supportsin half down to 3/4 '' if anything

thanks about exit btn idea - i think ill do that.

amyone could give me measurements for the tornado spinner *box* under the shaft?

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Another suggestion getting more space, have you consider 1x3 support instead of the 2x2.  If you use latches and have support on all 4 side, I don't see a problem with that. 

There's also the possibility of putting support on the 4 corner and freeing up the middle giving you all 28in to work with like my poor attempt as attached.

Forgot to mention the white section is the 4 corner support.

omg thank you! so simple yet i didnt think of it :-)

i really appreciate it guys... what a great community!

ill work on an update tonight.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
. Updated CP layout, incorporating feedback - see exit/menu button away in the left corner, and rotated joysticks to save space - keeping the 2x2 mounts, I don't need to be THAT close from the edge

Hidden Lines:

X-Ray:

Perspective view (ignore the innacurate stick tops :) )

I *really* need the dimensions for the Tornado Spinner ... I am worried that the guts of it under the CP are too large to fit where I want it.
Any owner of htat spinner around? Mind measuring it or attaching a PDF spec of it? THANKS

THANKS AGAIN for the great input.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 02:58:22 am by ARTIFACT »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
I'm reasonably certain that the footprint is 2" square but I'm not sure on the depth.  It's more than 2" though I think.  Why not go with the TurboTwist2 spinner from GGG?  http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=268

It's the same size as a pushbutton.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
thanks javeryh - I could also email slikstik or ask divemaster127 (who I am buying all my stuff from) to measure it roughly

I am *currently* set on the tornado spinner because Divemaster127 said that the TT2 spinner "feels cheap" - the guy has "everything" and chose the tornado spinner for his own cabinet.

I have seen both mechanisms (not in person mind you) and the tornado does seem a lot more substantial without costing that much more ...

. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Have more of you tried BOTH spinners and could comment?

. How's my CP layout lookinbg now?

Thanks.

Lakersfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 12:16:07 am
Re: My CP Layout, Spinner + drill/router bits questions
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 12:41:28 pm »
What about a pause button? Having kids, I think that would be a priority. :) Lord knows I have kids and when we call them for dinner while they are watching TV, they'd complain they were in the middle of some cheesy program. Now I have my TivO and just tell them to pause it. I think the pause for the video game would be really help you in the long run.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 04:23:32 pm »
I'm with you :)

I'll probably have an extra "shift" button under the CP box ... I'll configure a SHIFT + FIRE n combination for pause.
It's not something I'll need all the time, so it should work oK like that. I can teach my son how to pause this way if needed.

QUICK QUESTION:

How much empty space do you generally think is best to have between the joystick base, and the game buttons?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:26:04 pm by ARTIFACT »

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 04:31:02 pm »
not exactly sure, but the attach template is what me and others use.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 05:27:38 pm »
thanks for putting this file here - perhaps this should also be in the WIKI

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 05:30:31 pm »
QUICK QUESTION:

Is 1 1/8 hole saw a standard size?

My neighbor has 2 cases with different hole saw kits - he lent me a 3" one for the trackball, but didn't have 1 1/8" ... the closest was 1 1/4"

I'm going to call around to see

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 05:43:54 pm »
It's a very common size - look for a foerstner bit or a spade bit (it's a little small for a hole saw but I've seen them).

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 06:05:00 pm »
got it from the store!

thanks

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 08:07:18 pm »
i built a mockup of my CP on a scrap board :)

i will post pics in my project thread - lets take this there from here.

thanks everyone for your support and help!

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 11:20:17 pm »
Continuation of the CP of my cab project is here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68794.0

(thanks again everyone)

MOCKUP BUILT THANKS TO THE HELP HERE:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:54:54 am by ARTIFACT »

jcoleman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 07:18:38 pm
  • RTFM
thanks javeryh - I could also email slikstik or ask divemaster127 (who I am buying all my stuff from) to measure it roughly

I am *currently* set on the tornado spinner because Divemaster127 said that the TT2 spinner "feels cheap" - the guy has "everything" and chose the tornado spinner for his own cabinet.

I have seen both mechanisms (not in person mind you) and the tornado does seem a lot more substantial without costing that much more ...

. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Have more of you tried BOTH spinners and could comment?

. How's my CP layout lookinbg now?

Thanks.

I could have sworn I replied to this last week but apparently forgot to press post...anyway.

I have four spinners: a TT2, a Vortex, an Arkanoid-style from Arcade Shop (probably by Happ) and an Apache.  I like spinners.  :)  I would most definitely disagree with the "TT2 feels cheap" argument.  When you throw the TokenTop knob on it, it feels like a dream.  Great spin time and it can be physically adjusted to play Arkanoid with ease.  Add this to the small footprint and you have the perfect option for a small CP like yours.  You can also connect a trackball to the TT2 interface.  All that makes the TT2 a compelling choice.

As for your layout, if you are only planning to play spinner games with your left hand doing the spinning and your right hand pressing buttons (on the 2P side of the cab) then your layout is fine.  However, if you are looking for a more ambidextrous setup, which I prefer (when possible) so that others can play however is most comfortable, then you should look for more centralized placement.  One thing I heartily recommend is that you use a scrap to prototype your panel before settling on a final design.  You cannot beat "feeling out" the panel - laying it out on the computer is simply not good enough IMO.  (duh, looks like you did that later on)

That said I can tell from looking at yours that I would *not* be comfortable playing on your cab for long periods.  There is not enough room to comfortablly rest your right hand flat on the panel.  I'd recommend at least 3" from the bottom edge of the bottom row of buttons to the edge of the panel.  Now if you're planning to round off the edge of the panel rather than edge it with t-molding, what you have might work fine.  Again, mock it up (completely if possible) and test it, assuming you are going to throw away the panel before you settle on the final design.  Even if you decide it's perfect, throw it away anyway and do it again...the workmanship will be better on your second build.  ;)

Feel free to disregard any and all advice - after all it's YOUR cabinet!

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 10:40:33 am »
thanks! what you see here is a mockup, and yes the front is rounded (see my project thread with pics where teh top cp panel is mounted)
I can go back and play around with the measurements. I do have some space to spare moving my controls away from the edge more.

I just measured and there is 3 inches from button edge to end of flat panel - then there is a ~1/2" smooth rounded edge

i was thinking that I'd use the spinner with my right hand, 1 player game, and that i could fire with my left hand on the p1 buttons - is that how you'd use a spinner? I am right handed... You remind me that some folks may use their left hand and want it more centered - I'll play with that as well. If I get the TT2 I can probably center it

make sure you look at the picture i just posted (mockup) and my project thread.

Good to know so many people disagree about the TT2 feeling "cheap" ... that'll save me a lot of space and I'll be able to center it if it's just like a button.

Great input everyone
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:10:12 am by ARTIFACT »

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 11:35:21 am »
I'll probably center the spinner

note that it's the only control I didn't put on my physical mockup :)

with the TT2 spinner being the footprint of a regular button, I have enough space to put it there.