Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Coin mechanisms... (beginner q's)  (Read 4454 times)

spiderdust

• Trade Count: (0)
Coin mechanisms... (beginner q's)
« on: March 21, 2002, 10:56:48 am »
I've just finished my first MAME-cab..  Time to enhance it now, so I have some questiones...  :)

I want a coin mechanism. How do I wire it up? Connect it to the I-PAC? Do they need extra power? Can I get to the local arcade game dealer and buy just anyone, or what do I have to have in mind when choosing to get it all working?

Another thing...
I heard that I-PAC supports the keyb-leds. I havent noticed any flashing leds in any MAME-games. What do I have to do to get them flash?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
Re: Coin mechanisms... (beginner q's)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 11:22:32 am »
I can answer part of the IPac question.

Many mame games will flash the Num-Lock and Caps-Lock leds when the games waiting for you to press the player 1 and player 2 start buttons.  I don't know of any game that flashes the scroll lock led, but They are out there.

The IPac provides pins for these, that you can connect leds to.

This picture shows the lit up buttons on my CP.

Check this page for pictures on how to Illuminate Happs Pushbuttons
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

darkmanx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2003, 04:46:57 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2002, 11:28:08 am »
well in addition to the coin mech, you also need the coin door of course. i have been told that mechs are pretty much universal, they just differ on what coins they will accept. you can use whatever coin door you want, just a matter of what look u like. as for the power...i havent gotten my door in the mail yet but i believe they need some kind of power..at least for the lights. not sure if it needs more. but as for the ipac...you just connect the wires from the coin door or mech to the same ipac terminal as you would a coin button. i plan on using both and having a switch...one way will allow use of coins or the coin button, the other just coins. (the switch will only affect the ground to the coin buttons)
WHELP! As if you knew what an eternity was. Grovel before your true master!

LakeShark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2009, 08:09:28 pm
  • X-MAME!
    • IPACUTIL for Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2002, 11:39:24 am »
Regarding wiring the coin door, you might want to check this post:

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=main;action=display;num=1016057710;start=2

I think that covers most of what you're wondering about.  Regarding power, they don't really _need_ power to work, but you'll probably want to supply power so the reject buttons light up (the red coin return button).  

You'll notice that coin doors have microswitches just like buttons and joysticks have, but they have a wire actuator that the coins move to 'press' the button.  Just like with buttons or joysticks, one contact on that microswitch needs to be grounded and the other run to your keyboard encoder.

You can buy pretty much any coin door and get it working -- they are pretty simple.  Just make sure you're getting everything you want.  You'll need coin mechs to accept the coins... used doors are often sold without mechs.  

-LakeShark

spiderdust

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2002, 04:14:30 pm »
Big thanks to all three of you for your valuble information!
It helpted me alot!

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2002, 04:48:22 pm »
A coind door just has normal microswitches like the bottun, just a long acuator so when the coin rolls by it trips the button.

Yeah, next time to run mame, especially an atari title (remember the atari LED cones start buttons) watch the keyboard lights when you put in credits.

Zipper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 12:32:50 pm
  • I've Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2002, 03:05:11 am »
I have a Mars Coin Mech, and it takes 12V via a Credit Board.
The Credit Board pulses the 'Coin1' input on the i-pac a number of times depending on what coin is put in , and what I have requested on the dip-switch settings.

At the moment, I have set the mech at 20p a credit, and it takes 10p, 20p, 50p, and