Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Linux (Ubuntu) jukebox software recomendations  (Read 16020 times)

captbaritone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2007, 01:54:05 pm
    • ClassicalCode
Linux (Ubuntu) jukebox software recomendations
« on: August 03, 2007, 08:10:33 pm »
I am building a cocktail cabinet using Ubuntu linux as my operating system. I have found nearly every software I am looking for except a good front end for my music.

Requirements:
* run full screen
* use my cabinet controls (joystick and buttons on a keyboard hack) to select music
* be able to browse files based on directory structure (not id3 tags)

It seems like there MUST be something like this out there but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Captbaritone

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
Re: Linux (Ubuntu) jukebox software recomendations
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:25:38 pm »
Many software is wrote in Windows only programming software.

My own software, MultiJuke, is wrote in Blitzmax which is also exists to Linux as well.

One of the future version, but have no date yet, I hope I can trying to convert it to Linux as well. For some weeks ago I tried PCLinuxOS without luck, but would soon try Ubuntu 5.1, which is the officiel recommered version to compile under.

I also hope I can get FMOD to work on Linux, but I did not use that on Windows version, so I need to change some code as well. It only sound thing to redirect to FMOS I need to change. I could also use BlitzMax soundEngine, but it only support WAV and OGG, not MP3 (Due to patents), which is normally fine in games.

I cant see the date yet, if it in days or weeks or such. But it a goal to get MultiJuke to work on Linux...

Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

captbaritone

• Offline Offline
    • ClassicalCode
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:42:26 pm »
I appreciate your offer and look forward to trying out your software when it gets released for linux. But in the mean time, is there anything out there that has already been developed?

Also, I was playing with Wah!Cade's settings and it has a place to setup keys such as "next track". Does Wah!Cade have a build in media playing feature that I am not aware of?

-Captbaritone

Balki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2009, 04:56:51 pm
  • Eh?
    • anti-particle.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:40:00 am »
Hi,

Wah!Cade can't play music files in the current version, although I'm hoping to add it within the next release or two.

Cheers,

Andy
http://www.anti-particle.com/wahcade

captbaritone

• Offline Offline
    • ClassicalCode
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 07:48:27 pm »
First: Thank you very much for WahCade, it is exactly what I was looking for and it is going to allow me to run my machine on Linux instead of Windows.

Second: Browsing direcories of audio files using WahCade's menu system sounds perfect. When do you think I could expect such a feature? I only ask so that I can know if I need to find some other software in the mean time.

Thanks again for WahCade,

-Captbaritone

Balki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2009, 04:56:51 pm
  • Eh?
    • anti-particle.com
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 10:08:19 am »
Thanks for the thanks  ;D

I'm hoping to get a new release (0.22) out the door in a day or two, so the audio stuff will probably be in 0.23 which could be out sometime towards the middle to end of September (judging by past release times). 

Feel free to send me a jukebox patch though  ;)

Cheers,

Andy

clanggedin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2012, 11:08:55 pm
  • O'DOYLE RULES!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 07:13:08 pm »
I have been looking for a Jukebox solution similar to those available by the kind members here for Windows, but there just isn't anything out there. I spent time trying to install Globecom Jukebox, but it has a very lengthy install process and I don't know enough of Linux and Ubuntu to get it to run.

WahCade could work once audio is added, but I would rather run a stand alone Juke program.

There was a user here a few years ago that built a Linux Juke and wrote his own software, sadly I have emailed him numerous times with no response.

I guess I'll have to hold off on my Linux Juke project for a few more months at least, until either Multijuke or WahCade is ready.

captbaritone

• Offline Offline
    • ClassicalCode
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 07:40:22 pm »
At this point the only thing that looks even close is http://www.luga.de/pytone/ but I am not sure how to set up python scrips and it is not intended to run with only a few buttons. Also getting it to run full screen (not in a virtual terminal) may be a challenge.

What about running one of the windows jukeboxes under wine? Its not elegant, but it might work in the mean time.

What do you think?

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 05:40:28 am »
Im are now just going to install Ubuntu version 5.1, which is the recommered version to develop with BlitzMax under Linux. Im are no expert, so I need some experiment to how to get it working first.

Some code in MultiJuke in the sound wrapper need change to sync with a new sound engine (from BASS to FMOD or BlitzMax internal sound). BASS does not exists to Linux, so that does take some time.

In the first Linux version of MultiJuke may even only support OGG and WAV, if I cant get FMOD working (that support many formats).

[EDIT]
Got linux installed, but I got stuck while trying compile from BlitzMax due to some missing packages... Need help from BlitzMax community, so MultiJuke can been delayed (which is why I do not to set a date on a release).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 08:17:56 am by Space Fractal »

clanggedin

• Offline Offline
  • O'DOYLE RULES!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 09:43:50 am »
I am running Ubuntu 7.4 on a 400mhz PC. I may try and run some of the Jukebox programs under Wine, but I feel that it may be unusable on such a slow computer.

I guess I'll never know until I try. Hopefully I'll have time Monday and Tuesday to test a little.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 01:59:52 pm »
If you do the WINE way (which I cant test), you can a least trying Arcade Jukebox 8, Arcade Music Box and Wincab. They should all run pretty good on that machine. You can even test DAM Jukebox if you have a highend monitor.

captbaritone

• Offline Offline
    • ClassicalCode
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 02:29:34 pm »
I had another idea: MythTV.

I am not sure what its emulator front end it like, but I assume that its not as nice as Wahcade. However it looks like its music front end is exactly what I want: browse through the directory structure and select files to play.

Does anyone use MythTV for their cabinets?

I guess basically what I want is the music portion of OS X's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Row except that it would browses the directory structure instead of id3 tags.

Space Fractal: Because of the large size of my music collection and the fact that it is primarily composed of opera recordings (which do not lend themselves well to id3 tags) a front end that emulates a real jukebox will not work for me. What I really need, as I mentioned above, is a program which lets me navigate through the directory structure.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 03:29:28 pm »
MythTV look like a good idea, but it more than HTPC type frontend (like Front_Row) than a emulator frontend (to been compare with Microsoft Media Center). Try it out.

I'm still trying to get BlitzMax to work, but it seen 5.10 (which was the recommered version) is defunct now, since many of needed packages do not exists any more on Ubuntu server. So I'm trying tomorrow to install v7.04 and try again to get these missing dev packages get installed correctly. Im are basically new for that one, but it have a goal to get MultiJuke run on Linux as well.

EDIT:
Due to dead packges, I might give up this point by now, so MultiJuke does not came to Linux soon. Linux/BlitzMax is simply not mature yet on that point. You might need to change to Windows 98 or better to get much more choises.

EDIT2:
Im trying to install 7.04 and see what happens. 5.10 is defunct.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 08:15:35 am by Space Fractal »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 01:48:51 pm »
At last I got BlitzMax running and compile with 7.04, which got it installed nearly without any problems. So it time to get MultiJuke working on that platform!

This may take a week, 2 or such.

clanggedin

• Offline Offline
  • O'DOYLE RULES!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 12:38:26 pm »
I installed Wine today and then I tried to run Wincab. For some reason Xubuntu isn't recognizing my soundcard so it crashes anyof my audio programs. It is also failing to allow wincab to load. I am trying to find a driver for my card, but I'm having no luck so far.

buks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm
  • Squash the Sno-Bees !
    • Arcade Machine Construction
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 11:52:28 am »
For those asking about MythTV - I know that Balki (author of Wah!Cade) has a MythTV box so he may be able to answer questions on it. Note that he uses it for recording TV and watching movies - he's never mentioned a jukebox feature but maybe thats because he doesn't use it.

Worth a mention anyway !

Buks

govee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2012, 09:26:30 pm
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 08:54:44 am »
There are 2 Linux jukeboxes that I found, but I am so new to thhe Linux environment that I have have not had sucess getting them loaded. I dont think it is a problem with the programs. It is a problem with my level of understanding! I will keep plugging away till I get one of these or Space Fractal gets his port done.

http://tunez.sourceforge.net/

http://gjukebox.sourceforge.net/

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 05:28:36 pm »
I got MultiJuke GUI to work today, but still there are no sound. There is still couble of bugs. It example have a weird key repeat issues, I most have worked out first.

In the first version Network and Zip, ID3 support would been removed. Network would been back on, when I got the Samba to work promperty. ID3 is a not big issue to remove, because MultiJuke was originally intendend to use with a file mask instead, which is much faster to scan and use.

I do now in the next days trying to get FMOD working, if I can (the new or the older version). Otherwice it would a least support OGG and WAV, because BlitzMax internal support them (which would been fine in its first version).

Also Auto switch full/windowered with pressing a key (F) will been removed, instead it need to restart MultiJuke. Hince when you first have configurated it, you would use fullscreen anyway.

So that is the status now.

captbaritone

• Offline Offline
    • ClassicalCode
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 06:07:02 pm »
Govee:

While both of those softwares look good, they are intended to run in a web browser. This means they use the keyboard and mouse as interface and not a joystick and buttons.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 03:23:43 pm »
I got FMOD to work (yeeah), so most extensions would been supported in Linux version.

So not so long, about a week or starting inthe  next month, I release MultiJuke to that platform (officiel to Ubuntu 7.04, which I use)..... I hope I can get more users, since there are many good fullscreen software out to Windows, but not Linux (they are allways webbased and hostly to install).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:40:14 pm by Space Fractal »

govee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2012, 09:26:30 pm
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 03:28:14 pm »
I will be waiting. I am building a jukebox now and need a Linux version of the software. I just happen to be running ubuntu 7.04 as well.

good luck!