Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ordering these parts from GGG - have I missed anything?  (Read 2129 times)

pboreham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2008, 04:36:53 am
Ordering these parts from GGG - have I missed anything?
« on: July 29, 2007, 05:41:37 pm »
I think I'm going to get my CP stuff from GGG as it works out much cheaper than anywhere else and mainly because they do the TT2 + Wheel  :applaud:.

This is my order so far - I am missing some control interfaces though. If anyone can advise what to get from GGG to work with these *easily* !

1 x Electric ICE-T™ Deluxe RGB Arcade Trackball (does this need mounting plate? Couldnt find one on GGG)
25 x Black Horizontal Pushbutton - HAPP™
1 x Player 1 Pushbutton
1 x Player 2 Pushbutton
2 x HAPP™ Super Arcade Joystick - RED (Will these be ok?)
1 x TurboTwist 2™ Arcade Spinner Control + 6" Wheel

Thanks for any help  :cheers:
Dont Laugh! My first build blog...

http://paulmakescab.blogspot.com

Xam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2011, 11:16:45 pm
  • " Oh my heavens; good gracious. Cro-Magnons."
Re: Ordering these parts from GGG - have I missed anything?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 10:26:14 pm »
You will at least need an encoder....check GGG for the Keywiz Max.

Also...Ultimarc has a very good encoder...the I-PAC.

I have only good to say about Randy and his products at GGG.

I haven't personally dealt with Andy or Ultimarc...but I hear the products are also good quality and Andy is also very helpful.

Xam
Can't talk to a psycho like a normal human being.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:21:34 pm »
If you want the full capabilities of the elec ice tb you need an led wiz to control the RGB leds.   Trackball mounting plate is needed only if you want to use a plate to mount your TB.   Some people mount without it.  A keywiz is probably the best interface to order with your mix of parts.

pboreham

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:16:29 am »
You will at least need an encoder....check GGG for the Keywiz Max.

Also...Ultimarc has a very good encoder...the I-PAC.

I have only good to say about Randy and his products at GGG.

I haven't personally dealt with Andy or Ultimarc...but I hear the products are also good quality and Andy is also very helpful.

Xam

Thanks - are there any major differences between the keywiz and ipac2? I was set on the ipac to be honest, but I also prefer getting everything from one place. Would what I have selected work with both the keywiz and ipac?

Thanks again!

pboreham

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 02:18:11 am »
If you want the full capabilities of the elec ice tb you need an led wiz to control the RGB leds.   Trackball mounting plate is needed only if you want to use a plate to mount your TB.   Some people mount without it.  A keywiz is probably the best interface to order with your mix of parts.

I am very interested in the LedWiz - and may get the LED buttons too.

How easy is it to configure and would it work with an iPac2 or just keywiz - or is it standalone.

Also, is it best to have the mounting plate for the trackball? What are the reasons for and against?

Thanks for your help!

buks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm
  • Squash the Sno-Bees !
    • Arcade Machine Construction
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 08:34:18 am »
Paul,

You budget is taking a battering this month !!!!!

You  need something to control the trackball too - so if you go with ultimarc for the ipac then you should also get the optipac too (unless the ggg trackball doesn't need one of course).

The ledwiz is excellent as I've mentioned in our previous "chats". So you may wat to rethink your order !

EDIT : Just noticed that the ggg trackball doesnt need an optipac ! And the ggg spinner doesnt either !!!! So you might save a few quid there (to spend on more stuff !).

The ledwiz is easy to configure - I ordered all the leds with the cable pre-attached so there was no soldering at all. Dead easy (just a bit fiddly) to put together. Lights worked first time too !

The ledwiz is independat of the keyboard encoder so it works with anything. I can take a photo of the underside of my CP if you want to see what it looks like (and its a total mess by the way).

Buks

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 08:43:25 am »

How easy is it to configure and would it work with an iPac2 or just keywiz - or is it standalone.

Also, is it best to have the mounting plate for the trackball? What are the reasons for and against?

Thanks for your help!

The Keywiz and ipac2 are probably the easiest and best made units available.  Either unit would be a great choice.

The Ledwiz works as a standalone unit.

When you want to mount with a trackball plate you can mount with the plate on top of the CP or mounted flush with the CP.  Flush mounting takes a bit of good router work while the on top mounting can be done easily without a router.  A mounting plate finishes off the hole and makes for a clean mount without detailed postioning where the hole for the trackball goes and how large it needs to be.  The hole is in the plate as are the mounting screws so everyting lines up.   Check with GGG about the use of a happs/wico mounting plate for their trackball before ordering one.

pboreham

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 09:15:47 am »
Paul,

You budget is taking a battering this month !!!!!

You  need something to control the trackball too - so if you go with ultimarc for the ipac then you should also get the optipac too (unless the ggg trackball doesn't need one of course).

The ledwiz is excellent as I've mentioned in our previous "chats". So you may wat to rethink your order !

EDIT : Just noticed that the ggg trackball doesnt need an optipac ! And the ggg spinner doesnt either !!!! So you might save a few quid there (to spend on more stuff !).

The ledwiz is easy to configure - I ordered all the leds with the cable pre-attached so there was no soldering at all. Dead easy (just a bit fiddly) to put together. Lights worked first time too !

The ledwiz is independat of the keyboard encoder so it works with anything. I can take a photo of the underside of my CP if you want to see what it looks like (and its a total mess by the way).

Buks

Tell me about it! Gonna have to put it on hold for a month as my car needs some repairs and I've got some other bits and pieces on the go in August  :badmood:

I'm a bit worried about the USB ports all this is going to take up. My cab will have the following connecting to the PC:-

* Trackball (USB?)
* Spinner (USB?)
* Keyboard (USB?)
* KeyWiz (PS2 or USB?)
* LedWiz (maybe! USB?)
* 1 x Light Gun (UBS)
* 1 x Playstation2 -> USB convertor for Guitar peripheral (USB)

I'm a bit worried as on GGG it mentions you have to order the right USB Id - not sure how important this is, or if it can be changed later?

Thanks anyway! Whats the sort of price difference when getting LED as aposed to normal buttons?

pboreham

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 09:17:21 am »

Thanks for your help!

The Keywiz and ipac2 are probably the easiest and best made units available.  Either unit would be a great choice.

The Ledwiz works as a standalone unit.

When you want to mount with a trackball plate you can mount with the plate on top of the CP or mounted flush with the CP.  Flush mounting takes a bit of good router work while the on top mounting can be done easily without a router.  A mounting plate finishes off the hole and makes for a clean mount without detailed postioning where the hole for the trackball goes and how large it needs to be.  The hole is in the plate as are the mounting screws so everyting lines up.   Check with GGG about the use of a happs/wico mounting plate for their trackball before ordering one.

I'm not so hot with the router (or confident I should say), so will probably go with a top-mount!

Thanks!

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 10:22:05 am »
I'm a bit worried about the USB ports all this is going to take up. My cab will have the following connecting to the PC:-

* Trackball (USB?)
* Spinner (USB?)
* Keyboard (USB?)
* KeyWiz (PS2 or USB?)
* LedWiz (maybe! USB?)
* 1 x Light Gun (UBS)

I'm a bit worried as on GGG it mentions you have to order the right USB Id - not sure how important this is, or if it can be changed later?

Thanks anyway! Whats the sort of price difference when getting LED as aposed to normal buttons?

The KeyWiz is a PS/2 connection only.  Your trackball or the spinner can be PS/2 as well, I would suggest the trackball be PS/2.  Looking over your components I would not be worried about the USB ID, that is only for more than one of the same controller.  For example if you had two LEDWiz controllers then you would need to order different USB IDs for those (1 & 2).  They would be seen as LEDWiz1 and LEDWiz2 by your computer.

TTFN :cheers:
Kaytrim

pboreham

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 10:36:13 am »

* Trackball (USB?)
* Spinner (USB?)
* Keyboard (USB?)
* KeyWiz (PS2 or USB?)
* LedWiz (maybe! USB?)
* 1 x Light Gun (UBS)

The KeyWiz is a PS/2 connection only.  Your trackball or the spinner can be PS/2 as well, I would suggest the trackball be PS/2.  Looking over your components I would not be worried about the USB ID, that is only for more than one of the same controller.  For example if you had two LEDWiz controllers then you would need to order different USB IDs for those (1 & 2).  They would be seen as LEDWiz1 and LEDWiz2 by your computer.

Kaytrim

Ahhh cool - thanks!  :applaud:

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 10:45:09 am »

* Trackball (USB?)
* Spinner (USB?)
* Keyboard (USB?)
* KeyWiz (PS2 or USB?)
* LedWiz (maybe! USB?)
* 1 x Light Gun (UBS)

Kaytrim

The keywiz can become usb if you use one of those cheap 5 to 7 bucks usb to ps2 dongle.  Also, if you are still worrying about usb port, grab one of those cheap usb hub.  Just make sure to get one that has external power as some of the usb device don't get enough power off the hub itself.  If you want to go cheap on the usb hub, look for the old fashion usb 1.x hubs.  They work fine for your use.  Shops should be pawning them away.

And if you don't need the extra 'shift' key, also consider the usb version of the keywiz.  And check to see if ggg sells and quick discounnt, you will need them.  Then there's also some terminal block, as they also come in handy.

urbecrisch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 08:05:57 pm
  • I was the S**T back in '82
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 10:47:30 am »

I'm not so hot with the router (or confident I should say), so will probably go with a top-mount!

Thanks!
[/quote]

It's easy to route the trackball mounting plate and it makes a HUGE difference how the CP looks not to mention the ease of covering with your CP artwork.  Do you own a router or can you borrow one?  It may be a good idea to route your joysticks too. Cheers!

urbecrisch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 08:05:57 pm
  • I was the S**T back in '82
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 10:51:08 am »

Thanks!

It's easy to route the trackball mounting plate and it makes a HUGE difference how the CP looks not to mention the ease of covering with your CP artwork.  Do you own a router or can you borrow one?  It may be a good idea to route your joysticks too. Cheers!

RandyT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:57:20 am »
The keywiz can become usb if you use one of those cheap 5 to 7 bucks usb to ps2 dongle.  Also, if you are still worrying about usb port, grab one of those cheap usb hub.  Just make sure to get one that has external power as some of the usb device don't get enough power off the hub itself.  If you want to go cheap on the usb hub, look for the old fashion usb 1.x hubs.  They work fine for your use.  Shops should be pawning them away.

And if you don't need the extra 'shift' key, also consider the usb version of the keywiz.  And check to see if ggg sells and quick discounnt, you will need them.  Then there's also some terminal block, as they also come in handy.

If one needs USB, then the GP-Wiz is a fine choice.  And the comments about a powered hub are apt for the LED-Wiz's.  But I have to comment on the PS/2 to USB converter.  Finding a good one is somewhere between difficult and impossible.  Some of the design intent that went into the generic keyboard converters, while working just fine in a regular keyboard application, falls short for applications like gaming.  Anything more than a single player panel used with one of these keyboard converters will likely show gameplay issues.  Even then, some games which require the player to hold down a button for long periods of time may not work properly.

Best to avoid the converters altogether and use the port natively for your controls.  In a case where occasional key output is desired from the GP-Wiz, RB-Joy is an excellent  freeware solution.

RandyT

buks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm
  • Squash the Sno-Bees !
    • Arcade Machine Construction
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 11:24:41 am »
Paul,

Don't worry about the number of USB devices - you can have up to 127 devices per PC (seem to remember this said when USB 1 was first launched).

I've got a few usb hubs hanging off the pc - 2 blu-tacked to the PC case and one inside the CP plus one usb port on my keyboard.

Oh and get a 2 port PC-PS for Pro Evo and a single port one for Guitar Hero type games (saves you from plugging/unplugging all the time). The single port one I use for Frets on fire is here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playstation-PC-Converter-PS2/dp/B000IIXYSE/ref=pd_sbs_vg_h__1/202-2978168-5639068

Its about 5 quid so its worth getting in my opinion.

The 2 port one I use was from play.com but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

oops maybe gone a little off topic now !

Buks