Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: .117u1 and What it means to control viewers...  (Read 6862 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
.117u1 and What it means to control viewers...
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:33:24 pm »
Ok the time is finally here.... as of .117u1 the new input system is finally out.  I haven't really ran it through it's paces yet, but from what I can tell it's really good. 

Ok I'll just post the quotes and explain what this means to our community (in terms of changes and improvments)

-----------------
Added two new options: -multikeyboard and -multimouse. By default,
    both options are OFF. When OFF, the core will combine all keyboard
    or mouse input into a single keyboard or mouse device. When ON,
    these options instruct the core to keep inputs for each keyboard
    and/or mouse independent.
------------------

Ok first off, you know a few months back how the new "improved" mouse system came out and totally ruined it for those of us with a single trackball/spinner/whatever?  Well this fixes it.  Just as I suggested way back then, the raw-mouse code is finally optional!  The new multi-keyboard is fairly useless from my point of view (who needs more than 256 inputs?) but since it's optional it won't hurt anything.  Viewer devs will have to add support for multiple keybaords eventually, but as-is, things should work with the current setups. 

-------------------
* Added new option: -joystick_map. This option allows for a 9x9 grid
    to be specified which controls analog-to-digital mapping of
    joystick inputs.
-------------------

Now I haven't played with this yet, but this is frikkin awesome!  For those of you who don't get it... Now you can use an analog joystick for a shifter, make custom plates, and map a DIGITAL shift button to each position!  Bascially it means one shifter to rule them all.

I have no clue how it's implemented, I'll have to really look at it.  No clue how this could be addded to controls viewers. 

Judging by the replies, this is more of an analog-to-digital converter, al-la the "sticky" option, but more advanced.  In theory it could still be used for such a thing, but not exactly in the way I described.

It's more for blocking out directions for 4-ways and 45 degree 4-ways and what-not.

------------------------
* Changed the Windows implementation of input handling to fully
    support the raw input interfaces for keyboard and mouse.
    DirectInput is still used for all joystick inputs, as well as for
    keyboard and mouse inputs on pre-Windows XP systems. This allows
    for multiple keyboards and mice to be supported. Also changed
    keyboard and mouse behavior to use non-exclusive mode in
    DirectInput, and to keep the devices alive during pause for more
    consistent input handling.
------------------------

This one is very specific to devs... basically it means you can send input to mame in a more reliable manner, which is a good thing.  Again, I haven't tested it yet, so it might end up making things worse, but from what I get, it's a good thing.....

So good news all around... I'm no expert on any of this, but post your questions and I'll try to answer them or get them answered.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:17:11 pm by Howard_Casto »

Angry_Radish

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2020, 06:36:17 pm
Re: .117u1 and What it means to control viewers...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 10:51:28 pm »
Sounds VERY interesting!
Thanks for filtering it so it makes sense to me   :cheers:

headkaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 01:27:42 am »
This one is very specific to devs... basically it means you can send input to mame in a more reliable manner, which is a good thing.  Again, I haven't tested it yet, so it might end up making things worse, but from what I get, it's a good thing.....

Actually it's the opposite AFAIK. You can send input to Mame in current versions but you can't send input to the RAW input interface. I believe it was the GetAsyncKeyState() code in wininput_poll() that made it possible previously. Mame not being in exclusive mode doesn't really mean much for sending keys either, it just means you can use DirectInput to READ input at the same time (non-exclusive). But sending input through the DirectInput interface is as hard as it ever was. CoinDrop is the only app that ever did it and it used APIHook to inject keycodes into the IDirectInputDevice_GetDeviceState() function.

Oh btw I have started work on the Mame Input Bible, just finding it hard to get time to work on it. I'm going to put as much info as I know into it then send it to you. These latest additions will obviously add another level of information to cover, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out eventually.

Thanks for the update.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2024, 02:45:53 pm
  • Stil around.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 02:30:23 am »
Not sure if this is an issue for anyone using Johnny5...maybe I am running an old version...but anyways...
With the new 'mame' browser, just running mame.exe no longer gives the verison info...it now launches the browser. The easy fix (for me anyways) was to blank out the getVersion.bat file (which is generated dynamically by Johnny5) and then set the attributes of it to read only.
Hope that helps anyone that may be in the same situation I was in.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 02:39:34 am »
It will probably have to change to "Mame.exe -help"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:09:44 am »

Actually it's the opposite AFAIK. You can send input to Mame in current versions but you can't send input to the RAW input interface. I believe it was the GetAsyncKeyState() code in wininput_poll() that made it possible previously. Mame not being in exclusive mode doesn't really mean much for sending keys either, it just means you can use DirectInput to READ input at the same time (non-exclusive). But sending input through the DirectInput interface is as hard as it ever was. CoinDrop is the only app that ever did it and it used APIHook to inject keycodes into the IDirectInputDevice_GetDeviceState() function.

Oh btw I have started work on the Mame Input Bible, just finding it hard to get time to work on it. I'm going to put as much info as I know into it then send it to you. These latest additions will obviously add another level of information to cover, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out eventually.

Thanks for the update.

Well I'm not so sure about that.... because it's non exclusive mode it can still be sent, just in a different way.  What I was referring to was the part where it states that the input system is no longer reset when mame goes dormant (due to a pause or whatever) that means you can send input even if it's minimized or resizing. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 10:14:31 am »
Not sure if this is an issue for anyone using Johnny5...maybe I am running an old version...but anyways...
With the new 'mame' browser, just running mame.exe no longer gives the verison info...it now launches the browser. The easy fix (for me anyways) was to blank out the getVersion.bat file (which is generated dynamically by Johnny5) and then set the attributes of it to read only.
Hope that helps anyone that may be in the same situation I was in.

Somebody's in a hurry!  Remember, .117u1 isn't an official build.  I won't post a release until .118 comes out probably. 

I'll look into the -help flag, but my understanding was that it wasn't in earlier builds.  Anyone know when it was added?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 10:22:31 am »

Thanks for the update.

Well I'm not so sure about that.... because it's non exclusive mode it can still be sent, just in a different way.  What I was referring to was the part where it states that the input system is no longer reset when mame goes dormant (due to a pause or whatever) that means you can send input even if it's minimized or resizing. 

How would you send keys to Mame then? The fact it's in exclusive or non-exclusive mode has nothing to do with being able to send keys to Mame. It just means other programs can share DirectInput to _read_ keys/joysticks. The main problem is that DirectInput does not work through the standard Windows message loop. If you know a way to send keys to a DirectInput app without using something like APIHook I'm interested in hearing it.

Also I'm interested in how the input system being active while mame goes dormant can be a benefit. However I can think of a number of ways that it could cause problems to a CP viewer. The main issue is how unpause works, does Mame now unpause if you press any key or joystick button now or does it still only unpause when you press the assigned pause key? I'm really hoping this hasn't changed.

Sorry not sure when -help was added.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 05:05:58 pm »

Somebody's in a hurry!  Remember, .117u1 isn't an official build.  I won't post a release until .118 comes out probably. 

I'll look into the -help flag, but my understanding was that it wasn't in earlier builds.  Anyone know when it was added?

Hehe...no rush from me. I understand it wouldn't be worth your time to release a version everytime a u build is released ;-) I just wanted to provide an extremely easy 'temp' solution for people like me that basically use the u releases as their 'main' version on their cabs.
Just curious, but is the version bat soley for debug purposes? I didn't see where/why that was needed to get Johnny to do what it is intended to do.

P.S. I consider myself an extremely proficient 'search' guru, but I couldn't for the live of me find any info on what version the "help" option was implemented in mame searching mame.net and mameworld.net.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 05:48:06 pm »
Well, j5 still supports (or psuedo supports) the old style ini files, it does a version check to determinie which method to use.  I could always take it out and use a checkbox, but I wanted to make it easier on the user.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 06:46:45 pm »
Just some more info...

Compiled a version of u1 just to see what I was in for, control-wise.

The constants are exactly the same, assuming you are mapping stuff to keyboard1:

It's KEYCODE_(Key) , with (Key) being the constant name....  This is good as thankfully, we don't have to re-edit all of our cfg/ctrlr files.

Now even when using -multikeyboard, the first keyboard uses the old standard, which is good.  Subsequent keyboards use a number to denote the keyboard, much like joysticks and mice do to give an example of mapping a button to lctrl on the second keyboard:

KEYCODE_2_LCTRL

It's that simple! aside from finding a clever way to add all those constants as options in the viewer, changing the actual parsing code should be quite simple, no major changes so nothing major to change, aside from the fact that when the user is NOT using multikeyboard, the number in the middle has to be ignored... same for multimouse.

Now the interesting thing is that mice are NOT setup this way.  When mapping functions to mouse 1, It's always:

MOUSECODE_1_(input)

So keep that in mind.

I'll add more as I discover more... this is much easier for me than tracking notes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 07:42:54 pm »
Just a quick note.... there is a bug in .117u1 causing ctrlr files to crash if they don't use a "remap" entry somewhere... you'll get a "malloc zero bytes" error. 

Just thought I would mention it. 

Getting back on topic... I have no clue how the new joystick_map function works... the only two options seem to be "auto" and "auto_select" so I'll have to look through the source.  This would be our most drastic change and therefore needs to be addressed. 

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 07:55:13 pm »
Hey Howard do you want me to send what I've written so far for the Input Bible?

Right now I'm just getting the main information into a html file (you got something like FrontPage I hope), so perhaps you can start adding bits and pieces and we can merge them later?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 08:24:02 pm »
Sure...you can send it on over....

Actually no, I'm old school... use notepad for html.  :)

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 04:45:03 pm »
Getting back on topic... I have no clue how the new joystick_map function works... the only two options seem to be "auto" and "auto_select" so I'll have to look through the source.  This would be our most drastic change and therefore needs to be addressed. 

Check out the new docs/config.txt file.  It goes into pretty good depth.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 05:54:57 pm »
Thanks man, ugh though... I think I'm more confused then when I didn't know.  :)

I get the concept, but all these shorthand shortcuts and mirroring and what-not, I'm not sure.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • You rebel scum
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 09:18:39 pm »
Thanks man, ugh though... I think I'm more confused then when I didn't know.  :)

I get the concept, but all these shorthand shortcuts and mirroring and what-not, I'm not sure.

Pretty much my thoughts on first read. :D  The longhand is easy to get, if big.  I haven't looked the decode shorthand section of the source, but after letting the doc digest since last night, I understand it a lot more than immediately after the first read.  OTOH, I'll need to see the source to have a hope on understanding on how it's done.  I'm sort of busy now, though, so I'm going to wait until u2 with fixes before I dive in.

Overall, it wasn't as drastic a change as I hoped/feared, but so for looks good.  When I get to the code I'll probably see some "I wish this was also done", but.... :dunno
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 10:12:54 pm »
Well my biggest question is are the numpad keys the only thing you can map to?  I mean 0-9 and a-z are all one digit/character deals so they'll fit in the matrix, but what about up/down/left/right and keys like spacebar alt and ctrl?

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • You rebel scum
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »
Well my biggest question is are the numpad keys the only thing you can map to?  I mean 0-9 and a-z are all one digit/character deals so they'll fit in the matrix, but what about up/down/left/right and keys like spacebar alt and ctrl?

No testing or anything, but I took it as it gets mapped to joystick up, down, up+right, ect, and '7' doesn't mean the keyboard '7', but the joystick position equivalent to 7 on the number pad (in this case "joycode up & left").  And the only character you can use is 's', which means sticky, not the char 's'. 

IOW, all this does is replace the old analog to digital conversion method (which wasn't the best), with this 9x9 grid.  AFAICT :dunno
Robin
Knowledge is Power

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 06:12:50 pm »
IOW, all this does is replace the old analog to digital conversion method (which wasn't the best), with this 9x9 grid.  AFAICT :dunno

Doesn't this mean that someone can come up with a grid similar to what RandyT did with his GP49  software that will allow a better analog to digital map for games like Tron?  In other words, make it more difficult to hit the diagonals in this case?  If so, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

AaronGiles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2008, 09:59:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Aaron's Home Page
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 07:30:39 pm »
Fundamentally, yes, that's all it does. It's a way to control how the analog X/Y axes map to digital left/right/up/down controls. It has nothing to do with mapping to keys. I only use the numpad analogy as a means of specifying directions in a string.

I apologize that the symmetry stuff makes it confusing; I was just looking for a way to compact the strings that describe them. You don't have to understand any of that, however. You can just specify the full 9x9 grid in a giant string like this:

aaaaaaaaa.bbbbbbbbb.ccccccccc.ddddddddd.eeeeeeeee.fffffffff.ggggggggg.hhhhhhhhh.iiiiiiiii

And yes, you can easily make maps that make it easier/harder to hit diagonals. There are 3 built-in maps that are auto-selected. One is for 8-way joysticks, one is for 4-way joysticks, and one is for 4-way diagonal joysticks (rotated for Q*Bert). If you run a game with the -verbose option you can see what map is selected (except maybe I don't print it for the standard 8-way case).

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 10:24:22 pm »
Ok you just lost me after the abc example....

The numpad I got after rebel explained it, but now your telling me it doesn't matter which characters/numbers you use?  In that case how is one supposed to know which character represents up/left and which one represents neutral, ect...

Headkaze and I are trying to make a detailed writeup of all the various mame input settings so it's easier for the user to understand and eaiser for the third party developer to interface with.  Unfortunately, that means I kind of do need to know how all of it works.  I figure if I can understand it then anyone can. ;)

NickG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 05:25:23 am
  • Dig.
    • My Projects Page
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 01:14:52 am »
Does this mean that I might someday be able to use two keyboard encoders that, for example, both use the Left CTRL key as separate inputs?  Would that be KEYCODE_1_LCTRL and KEYCODE_2_LCTRL respectively?  This makes it possible for any johnny-come- lately to buy two identical two-player keyboard encoder-based controllers for a four-player setup for MAME, yeah? 

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 01:16:47 am »
A celebrity just entered the thread! 8)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 05:33:20 am »
Does this mean that I might someday be able to use two keyboard encoders that, for example, both use the Left CTRL key as separate inputs?  Would that be KEYCODE_1_LCTRL and KEYCODE_2_LCTRL respectively?  This makes it possible for any johnny-come- lately to buy two identical two-player keyboard encoder-based controllers for a four-player setup for MAME, yeah? 

I would say yes, from what I have read in this thread.

Has there been any changes to the ctrlr file operation?  One old gripe of mine was that analog sensitivity and those kind of settings did not take effect when set in ctrlr files, when IMO they probably should.

Like the sound of the multimouse option...

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 06:34:30 am »
Wow good to see you on here MinWah.. did you fall in love and get married or something?

I love your music on MySpace btw, you have a great voice :)

I am a big fan of Bob Dylan and you have a voice that sounds great.

You probably wouldn't believe it, but you should check out a pic of Howard Casto I found on some old website of his. He looks like a musician too hehe. I guess the stereo type of a programmer is out the window these days.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:40:53 am by headkaze »

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 07:16:08 am »

nothing really to see with the subject , but i have to correct HeadKaze on that.

But sending input through the DirectInput interface is as hard as it ever was. CoinDrop is the only app that ever did it and it used APIHook to inject keycodes into the IDirectInputDevice_GetDeviceState() function

AtomicFe Pro version was doing that months before you came with your Coin-Drop.
I had to remove the AtomicFe Pro version from my website for , i think , the same reasons you removed your coin-drop. AtomicFE Pro allowed to make real exploitation of Mame , It was able to insert credit in MAME (using the DirectInput hook) , and was able to transfert credit from one game to other game automatically. (if you quit one game with some credit left, you come back on Atomic and then if you run another game Credit appear in the new game).

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 02:42:16 pm »

I would say yes, from what I have read in this thread.

Has there been any changes to the ctrlr file operation?  One old gripe of mine was that analog sensitivity and those kind of settings did not take effect when set in ctrlr files, when IMO they probably should.

Like the sound of the multimouse option...

Not that I've seen.  Heh you are really out of the loop, multimouse has been in there for a while... the problem was up until now it wasn't optional, causing headaches for people with hot-swappable panels and admin mice.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 02:45:51 pm »
You probably wouldn't believe it, but you should check out a pic of Howard Casto I found on some old website of his. He looks like a musician too hehe. I guess the stereo type of a programmer is out the window these days.

Heh, that's an ooooold picture, I was like 18 in it.  Up until about three months ago I had hair down to my lower back and the same goatee.  Got my hair caught in some glue and had to chop it off.  I look fairly normal now, but then I did look like the stereo-typical programmer, just the lone gunman variety instead of the dilbert sect.

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 04:20:14 am »
Wow good to see you on here MinWah.. did you fall in love and get married or something?

I love your music on MySpace btw, you have a great voice :)

I am a big fan of Bob Dylan and you have a voice that sounds great.

Haha, no I didn't get married! It's been a bit of a combination of moving, getting a new job, restoring my mini and putting more time into music stuff.  I still don't have my cabinet at my house...although I recently put made some plans to move it, but now we are hit by floods I am quite glad I didn't!!  I'm making a little app for the PacDrive output board to get me back into things...I really am missing my cabinet!

Thanks for the compliment  :)

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 04:22:52 am »
Heh you are really out of the loop, multimouse has been in there for a while... the problem was up until now it wasn't optional, causing headaches for people with hot-swappable panels and admin mice.

Sorry I meant the option to disable it...I recall the multiple mouse stuff being added, although I haven't actually used it.  I don't think personally I have much use for it as I don't have the controls for it.  Nice to have the option tho.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 06:34:21 am »

nothing really to see with the subject , but i have to correct HeadKaze on that.

But sending input through the DirectInput interface is as hard as it ever was. CoinDrop is the only app that ever did it and it used APIHook to inject keycodes into the IDirectInputDevice_GetDeviceState() function

AtomicFe Pro version was doing that months before you came with your Coin-Drop.
I had to remove the AtomicFe Pro version from my website for , i think , the same reasons you removed your coin-drop. AtomicFE Pro allowed to make real exploitation of Mame , It was able to insert credit in MAME (using the DirectInput hook) , and was able to transfert credit from one game to other game automatically. (if you quit one game with some credit left, you come back on Atomic and then if you run another game Credit appear in the new game).

Thanks for the correction. I knew you had some sort of credit system you removed from Atomic but I didn't know it was a Direct Input hook. You don't need to use that complex method to send keys to Mame as API functions are sufficient. But if your blocking and injecting then you do need to use that APIHijack. Unfortunetly I found it quite an unstable method, if you shutdown the hook dll before Mame it would crash. The way you describe how credits could be carried over is how CoinDrop worked as well. Boy did that program kick up a fuss. I don't really wan't to think about it anymore  :'(
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:48:15 am by headkaze »

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2015, 10:37:58 am
    • NonMAME - The ultimate site for the OTHER arcade emulators!
Re: .118 and What it means to control viewers...
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 12:18:35 am »
Now that .118 is out, I'm curious to hear from any of you who have had any success in getting the new analog mapping feature to work.  I have an Ultrastik 360 and it would be really great to just set it to analog mode and let MAME handle the mapping on a per-game basis - but I don't see anywhere that the new MAME lets you do this.  Perhaps in the future Aaron will develop some tools to make it easy to develop maps and bind them on a per-game basis. 

So, have any of you had success with this?

Shoegazer
NonMAME: Your best source for the OTHER arcade emulators!
http://nonmame.retrogames.com

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 03:02:08 am »
For the most part, you set it to "auto" and it does the work for you. 

Getting back on topic, a few final changes in .108 (which is what is delaying an updated j5)

To quote the readme:

"Removed underscores from some keycode token names. Thus,
KEYCODE_0_PAD now becomes KEYCODE_0PAD. This is to prevent confusion
when parsing multiple keyboard items. Due to this change, also removed
imperfect backward compatibility with older configs; some mappings
will still work, but some won't. Note that this change will also
break some existing ctrlr files; new ones will be provided.
[Aaron Giles]"

Not a horribly akward change and it will actually make it easier for parsing in the long run.  The thing is, I (or should I say we) need to go through the list of tokens in the source and see if there are any other changes.  Afaik it appears to be only the numpad keys and perhaps the number keys (need to find the new constants to confirm). 

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 03:20:25 am »
Not a horribly akward change and it will actually make it easier for parsing in the long run.  The thing is, I (or should I say we) need to go through the list of tokens in the source and see if there are any other changes.  Afaik it appears to be only the numpad keys and perhaps the number keys (need to find the new constants to confirm). 

Have you generated a data file with the new constants? I can look into doing that if you don't have the time.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 11:56:07 am »
My internet connection was down most of yesterday so I didn't have access to the source.  I manually changed the numpad constants in my file for j5, but I need to go back and verify that they are correct sometime today.  If you want to give it a go though knock yourself out as it'll save us all time.  The format I use is just a simple text file that lists them one per line.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2007, 02:48:47 pm »
Howard,
A little off topic here, but...
When you release the new johnny5, would I be able to just drop in the exe or are you implementing anything that would cause my current cfgs to need adjusting?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2007, 05:48:30 pm »
Well, just like mame, num_0_pad becomes num_0pad so if you are using the number keys for anything then yes, because you'll also have to do so in mame, all of your ctrlr, cfg, and j5 layout files will have to be changed.

The good news is all three are textual-based cfgs, so you can open them up in notepad and do a simple replace function!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 01:57:24 am »
update:

I can confirm (at least just by reading) that the numpad constants are the only ones that changed. 

Strangely enough, internally they are the same in most places. 

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Stil around.
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 02:27:14 am »
I guess I'm not affected by the num key change...so even though I am a master of copy/paste, I won't need to execute those skills.
Ok...here comes the pressing question...
When you gonna release an updated version? I'm just curious because I greatly appreciate it's usefulness!