Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: When can you go through Pacman ghosts?  (Read 20529 times)

pmc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:43:02 am
    • website
When can you go through Pacman ghosts?
« on: July 20, 2007, 04:44:26 pm »
I was playing Pacman (Midway) the other day and doing a mid-fruit pattern on the second orange (or peach) level. I screwed up the pattern but didn't realize it and continued to mindlessly follow the pattern along. I was going up the left side of the corral and Pinky was blasting down looking right at me. I went right through her and she kept right on going too. I was stunned for a second and, as a result, died not much later.

I remember that you can go through the ghosts sometimes, but what are the conditions? I'd love to be able to play that into one of my regular patterns or use it to get out of trouble. Learning the hard way will take me a long time. :)

-pmc

Justin Z

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 10:53:05 am
Re: When can you go through Pacman ghosts?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:54:12 pm »
Before I read your post, I thought, "is this guy making a joke of some sort?"

WHEN THEY'RE BLUE, DUMMY!  ;D

That's what I was thinking, anyway.

Interesting question, now that I've read it; I've only recalled one time where I went through a ghost unscathed.

Curious, I did a websearch and didn't come up with anything, anybody else got some info?

Zeno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2009, 11:22:33 pm
  • Movement is an illusion
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 06:13:13 pm »
Well... I have noticed this too on Ms. Pacman.

It happens to me every once in a while.  I consulted my coworker (his hi score on Ms. Pac is 349,000+/-!!).

He claims that this happens to him about 50% of the time under the following conditions...

1. The moment they turn from blue to regular color
2. When either the ghost or pac change directions abruptly and meet.

I don't think there is any hard/fast rule.  I believe it is a glitch in the system.

Something is out of whack in the matrix.

Zeno
Zeno

Running: MAME
Projects: MK3, Ms. Pacman

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 06:36:17 pm »
I don't think there is any hard/fast rule.  I believe it is a glitch in the system.

This is what I have heard as well.  One of the ghosts (Inky, IIRC) is supposedly more prone to this occurrence.

RandyT

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:22:00 pm »
Here is the best explanation that I have read:

This is correct behavior.  The collision detection works by keeping track of what 8x8 pixel square all the objects are on.   So if you step off of your square onto a ghosts square and he steps off his square and on to yours simultaneously you didn't ever occupy the same square.

Dave

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 08:09:19 am by HooPZ »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 12:20:04 am »
It is a problem with the original game and not with mame. Some of the more interesting Pac patterns involve going right through ghosts.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

swolgam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2010, 07:58:51 am
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 08:14:19 am »
I was playing Pacman (Midway) the other day and doing a mid-fruit pattern on the second orange (or peach) level. I screwed up the pattern but didn't realize it and continued to mindlessly follow the pattern along. I was going up the left side of the corral and Pinky was blasting down looking right at me. I went right through her and she kept right on going too. I was stunned for a second and, as a result, died not much later.

I remember that you can go through the ghosts sometimes, but what are the conditions? I'd love to be able to play that into one of my regular patterns or use it to get out of trouble. Learning the hard way will take me a long time. :)

-pmc

Very easy way to replicate this glitch in the game is going through opposite exit tunnels at the same time.  There is a slight delay due to coding and the era this game was designed.  IF you go through one end and the ghost through the other, you will come out the other side as will the ghost, unharmed!

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 09:13:38 am »
I never really got into Pac Man enough to try it, but I read that the collision detection follows the ghosts eyes. If the eyes are not looking in your direction, you can pass through them. There were a couple patterns posted in the article that would let you easily reproduce the situation.

vidmouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2021, 10:13:41 am
  • Oop! Ack! Thppphbt!
    • Vidmouse's Arcade
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 09:16:19 am »
I think the same thing happens on some shooters
when you die and regenerate... like a slight blip
while the game resets itself for your next life.

Kinda OT:  For some reason this post makes me
think of the heyday when they actually had Pac-Man
cereal (Kix, round corn puffs more or less) complete
with marshmellow ghosts.  Yum.

I think it was some kind of ploy to capitalize on
the fact that at the same time there was a Pac Man
cartoon show on the Saturday morning Supercade...
if it were nowadays they'd probably have Pac Man
action figures, wall stickers, and so on too.
Viva la Pac Man...

rockin_rick

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 09:20:20 am
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 08:28:43 pm »
I remember reading that this effect is called a 'booey', FWIW.  Hoopz quoted description is also what I remember reading.

Rick
If I do not respond to your post in a timely manner, feel free to PM me.

Spaz Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
  • Hit me with a chicken quesadilla and a Coke.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 01:42:13 am »
TOK beat me to it....

pmc

• Offline Offline
    • website
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 09:46:36 am »
OK, but the thing is, we were running right at each other on a straight stretch. She (I always assumed Pinky was a she) was coming straight at me so she must have been looking straight at me. This was not after they had been turned blue (I had not yet eaten a power pill at all). And there was no abrupt direction change or jogging around a corner. It was straight-shot. But it did happen right where you could turn to head for the tunnel so maybe that had something to do with it.

It happened right where "B" is marked in the attached pattern shot (except I was coming from the start position and not along the bottom of the corral).

Hey TOK: do you have a pointer to one of those patterns I wanna try it. It's sure to impress. :)

-pmc

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 12:30:53 pm »
I have had the same thing happen on my Ms. Pac-man gameplay, so it isn't just a local glitch in your board, it must be a standard glitch in the game. I am not sure if it is intended by the original programmer or if it is attributed to the programming tech of the earlier 80's. I do know that entering opposite tunnels doesn't work as stated by some else here, I die every time I do that while both me and the ghost are off screen in the tunnel. So the collision detection glitch is the probable answer.

Whether or not someone becomes proficient at exploiting the glitch is a true test of a pac-master.

pmc

• Offline Offline
    • website
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 12:45:05 pm »
Definitely a glitch. The question is, how does it work and how can it be exploited?

I found that does it 4 times to 3 different ghosts on the 9th key level. Carefully watching the ghost's eyes, I still don't see any consistency.

I'm gonna learn that pattern. The only problem is that I haven't gotten past the 5th key ever. :)

-pmc

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 12:50:22 pm »
pmc, I don't remember the exact link but I think I found it randomly surfing Twin Galaxies. Here is the thread where it began:
http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5727&view=next&sid=97bf758352a15ca0250daf2188d1196e

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 02:16:54 pm »
A booey happens when the hit detection pixel from both the pac character and ghost character occupy the same pixel.   I can booey a Ms. Pac on the 2nd level all day long every time.   Remember,  if you are about to die ALWAYS try to turn around and run through the ghost...about 5-10% of the time you will go through it!

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

pmc

• Offline Offline
    • website
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 04:05:41 pm »
pmc, I don't remember the exact link but I think I found it randomly surfing Twin Galaxies. Here is the thread where it began:
http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5727&view=next&sid=97bf758352a15ca0250daf2188d1196e

Perfect. The thread is very informative and it led me here where there are several patterns that go through the ghosts -- and one works on the apple levels too. Way more impressive than just running a straight pattern. I like the patterns with close-calls, turning into ghosts, and other wizardry. Passing through them is something I just can't pass up.

Thanks for the link.

-pmc

deadkenndys1105

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2012, 03:55:05 pm
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 06:06:20 pm »
I have done this quite a bit.  If you change directions really fast at the last second and go back you can sometimes go threw them.  I only try it though when I get boxed in.  It also work in ms pacman.  While I can do this with out to much trouble some times I still suck at these games.
17 years old and totaly addicted.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 03:55:45 pm
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 08:57:17 am »
"I booey-ed a ghost in Ms. Pac-man..."

... sounds like a euphemism for something.  I don't know what.   :laugh2: