Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Operation 'Lowboy' 95% Done! Updated 5th October '07  (Read 36893 times)

RXII

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2014, 07:45:51 pm
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
Operation 'Lowboy' 95% Done! Updated 5th October '07
« on: July 16, 2007, 04:22:18 pm »
Hi Guys,
I originally posted the progress of my lowboy build on the Aussie Arcade forums and due to the heap of help I have received here :applaud: I thought I should post up the progress of my cabinet here as well. So here goes........

I originally bought a lowboy a while ago off Ebay with the intentions of copying it for a mame setup and then either put the original lowboy in a mates workshop or sell it off. With a few weeks holidays I thought I had better do something useful and FINALLY start the project. I removed all the fragile parts from the lowboy and got underway........

I purchased 2 x 18mm 2.4m x 1.2m sheets of MDF and 1 x 16mm sheet as well.

Here is the good thing about copying one you already own!

Cut the sides out and clamped them together to sand them..........

It is starting to look like something now which is pretty exciting..............

The cabinet is standing by itself and the rear and top panels are now on. In this pic I have trial fitted the bottom front panel to where the CP will fit just to see what it looks like!

I bought some good quality hinges that allow the side on the front door panel to move sideways to clear the sidepanel of the cabinet as it opens...

These were pretty fiddley to fit as you have to route out a 35mm circle from the MDF making sure you setup the router so you dont drill all of the way through!

I also fitted a cam lock to the front door...works a treat!

Now for the monitor, I have actually had trouble trying to find a 21'CRT monitor but was lucky enough to come across this IBM P275 flatscreen..........
I owned it for about 20 minutes before I did this!

I took a stencil of the monitor and the original mounting points, stenciled it onto a piece of MDF and WOLAH!

Had a bit of time today to measure up how the monitor sits, it was slightly govered by the sheer size of the monitor, so with the back panel screwed on I got the best possible angle and height by resting the back of the monitor hard against the back cabinet panel. I think the viewing angle is going to be fine........

It still needs some slight adjustments to make everything square but I am pretty happy considering how big this bloody monitor is (length wise).
I have also just bought a 2.2ghz P4 and have started getting the software side of things done. I will be using mame v.106 with Mala, sound will be courtesy of a set of Logitech Z-4 speakers with sub as I really liked the remote setup for the volume and sub...plus they sound fantastic!

I have completed the control panel and will get some photos up soon.

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:43:26 am by RXII »
Operation Aussie Lowboy http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68962.0
Soon I may actually be able to play it!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway..............Finally!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:51:57 pm »
 :applaud:

I'm starting to like that cabinet design more and more.

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 01:25:54 am »
Lowboy's rule... If you grew up in Australia, odds are it's the cab you remember playing... I remember endless afternoons of Black Tiger on one of these lowboys.

RXII, nice cab, will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:56:56 am »
That's looking great!

I'm thinking about doing a cabinet like this myself once I get settled in the new home.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

MinerAl

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2023, 07:11:28 am
  • duck
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 02:27:18 am »
if you get a wild-hare, post plans of this for the people.

the people love plans...

MaMeNnO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2021, 10:06:42 am
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 03:54:58 am »
Looks great!

Are you going to leave those silvertrips on the monitor? Maybe paint 'em black? I know they are there for a reason. After I removed 'em and turned it on I accidentally touched the screen... that was a shokking experience I can tell! :o

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 06:57:58 am »
Looking good.  New thread for me to watch and yes please post plans if you can.

TTFN :cheers:
Kaytrim

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:35:57 am »
I love that style cab too. Even though I've never seen a "real" one, that design is much more appealing to me than a regular cabaret or cocktail.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 08:47:14 am »
Were these lowboys actually original, or were they bootleg cabinets?

hbm*rais

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2010, 08:43:44 pm
  • Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 10:21:27 am »
Wow! That's a great shape for a lowboy. I love how it uses straight lines without being hard on the eyes :D. I had never seen one of these. For me a lowboy was all about curves  :D.

I hope to see more pictures of it soon. Keep the good work.

I second the request for plans.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 11:18:55 am »
Very nice and clean job so far. Do you have a theme or any artwork plans yet?
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 11:58:15 am »
Hi guys,
              Thanks for the kind words!

Lowboy's rule... If you grew up in Australia, odds are it's the cab you remember playing... I remember endless afternoons of Black Tiger on one of these lowboys.

RXII, nice cab, will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Yes, I live near Melbourne in Australia and always use to play one of these in the local fish and chip shop! I really like the size and look of them, they dont take up too much room.

I don't know any of the history of this type of cabinet, but they were pretty generic and any type of game/monitor orientation was put in them.

Wow! That's a great shape for a lowboy. I love how it uses straight lines without being hard on the eyes :D. I had never seen one of these. For me a lowboy was all about curves  :D.

I hope to see more pictures of it soon. Keep the good work.

I second the request for plans.

Your cabinet was one of my inspirations....I have every picture that you posted in a file and often refer to it! I like the curves too but being my first cabinet I figured it was easier to copy the one I had.

As for plans I haven't really thought about it, There are a few sets of plans floating around here, at the moment I am struggling just to find the time to keep building the cabinet. But if anyone wants any dimensions I will see what I can do.

Cheers,
Simon.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 03:03:51 pm »
Hi,
     Not too much to update but I received my Happ Competition Joysticks and blue Happ buttons from Retromania here in Australia. They seem to good quality units. My CP is 18mm thick and I think I will just directly screw the joysticks underneath. The stick height seems to be ok to me. Also I want the screws to go in as far as possible to hold them nice and tight. Any thoughts??

I printed out some joystick and button templates after much deliberation about whether to go with the arc'd or straight button configuration. After reading a few posts I opted for the straight.

There is alot more measuring etc that I first thought even with this basic CP layout, I have centered the player 1 joystick by the edge of the dust washer then bought the player 2 buttons in the same distance (if that makes sense?) So once its together it should all look pretty central. I will also add the P1 & P2 buttons in the center of the controls one on top of the other.

I am going to cover this in a black vinyl with blue or black t-moulding. Haven't thought about artwork yet....something tasteful so my wife lets me keep it in the house!  ;D

Cheers,
Simon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:46:07 am by RXII »

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 03:06:33 am »
I love that style cab too. Even though I've never seen a "real" one, that design is much more appealing to me than a regular cabaret or cocktail.

The beauty of the design is that it's an upright (for those not wanting a cocktail cab) but its a really small form-factor. If you look at the plans posted in various places, you'll see its only 58cm wide, 50-odd cm deep and 1.4m high (and yes, being an Aussie, I deal in metric). The other good thing is the monitor space has enough room for a 20" screen either horizontally or vertically mounted. Which means, if someone were to attempt to be really ambitious, a rotating 20" monitor might fit in one :P

As far as I recall from my younger days (and other Aussies can contradict me here), in Australia we didn't have the endless range of custom and unique cabinets that the US seems to have had. I remember a few games having their own cabinets (TMNT, Simpsons, NBA etc) but alot of games / the majority of games came in generic cabs. And back in the day, your local milkbar (corner store / hamburger joint for the non-Aussies) had a few games, usually in one of these lowboy cabs. And usually they had the fake timber laminate on the side... if anyone cares to go to ebay Australia and search for 'arcade cabinet', they'll find one or two on sale, in the fake timber look I'm talking about...

For me a lowboy was all about curves  :D.

Ditto. But there are actually several 'designs' for lowboy cabs, and not all feature the kind of curves your cab has (although, I *love* your cab design, and will largely be following it in mine). I've actually amassed pics of several different lowboy cabs and one day I'll make a post and show all the different looks.

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 03:10:33 am »
Actually,  I happened to have a pic of a lowboy on my desktop. Here's a generic aussie lowboy in all its timber veneer glory :P

(end thread hijack)

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 09:33:38 am »
I like the lowboy style...

I'll be watching this project too!!!

Well documented anf fast progression (way faster than mine  :dunno)

Jay  :cheers:

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 11:49:51 am »
I like the lowboy style...

I'll be watching this project too!!!

Well documented anf fast progression (way faster than mine  :dunno)

Jay  :cheers:

The progression hasn't been all that fast....I started the project in Feb this year!
You could make it rotating if you used an arcade monitor but as you can see from the pics the only way you you would rotate a PC monitor would be with a LCD!

Cheers,
Simon.

hbm*rais

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 12:25:48 pm »
I doubt a 20" CRT could be rotated on 58cm wide cabinet. Even my 19" LCD could not be rotated on my lowboy (54cm internal width). Maybe one of the new LCDs, with thinner molding around the screen...

Anyway, I don't trust rotating CRTs too much.

If I was to change something on my lowboy, the one thing I would change is that I would mount the monitor on the center of a square piece of ply/MDF, so that I could mount it either vertically or horizontally. Changing the orientation would not be an operation that I would like to do everyday, but should be easy enough for me to have it vertically most of the time (my favorite games are vertical) and change it to horizontal when I'm having friends over for a nice game of NBA Hangtime or Taito Power Goal.

mrbigggshot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2007, 05:56:04 pm
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 08:25:49 am »
I noticed you mounted it only using the brackets the monitor comes with.  Does it mount securely?  I need to mount my monitors soon, and I'm worried that screwing to the MDF so close to an edge might tear it out due to the weight.

By the way, it looks great! I'm not typically a fan of having the monitor at such an angle, but your cab looks fantastic.
"So I've been playing the umbrella for 30 years? Why didn't anybody tell me?"

hbm*rais

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 09:26:30 am »
I noticed you mounted it only using the brackets the monitor comes with.  Does it mount securely?  I need to mount my monitors soon, and I'm worried that screwing to the MDF so close to an edge might tear it out due to the weight.

By the way, it looks great! I'm not typically a fan of having the monitor at such an angle, but your cab looks fantastic.

If you're worried about tearing, you might use a piece of aluminium between the MDF and the monitor bracket. It would help to distribute the pressure.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 12:21:26 pm »
I didn't really have much choice on the angle of the monitor as the case is hard up against the back of the cab. The angle is very close to what my original lowboy was anyway and when you are standing in front of it you are looking square onto the screen so it worked out pretty spot on. As for the way its mounted, I made the frame a very snug fit as you can see from the photos and its into 18mm MDF so its definately not going anywhere.  ;)

Cheers,

Simon.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 03:54:37 pm »
Hi Guys,
             Bit of an update, today I have pretty much finished sanding and shaping the control panel, I have glued the top of the CP to the front panel and will the secure the whole CP from inside the cabinet for a nice clean look once its all wired up. I screwed the joysticks in but I am not sure about the joystick height, they look a bit too short but they still feel fine to use. I am still waiting for the vinyl to turn up, I am on holidays in a couple of weeks and I just know that this is going to hold me up!  :banghead:

I am going to try and fit the speakers between this bottom shelf and the monitor glass. Not sure if there is enough room yet, I will have dummy up some carboard to get an idea of glass placement and size. More pics coming soon..........

Simon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:54:08 am by RXII »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway...Finally! Update 20/7
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 04:09:59 pm »
If you are worried about the stick height you could cut a recess into the CP for the top of the joystick.  You would also need to cut a square hole for the body of the stick to go through the wood.  Another option is to recess the stick from below, but you would only gain about 1/4 inch or 1 cm in height.

TTFN
Kaytirm

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway...Finally! Update 20/7
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 03:36:25 pm »
If you are worried about the stick height you could cut a recess into the CP for the top of the joystick.  You would also need to cut a square hole for the body of the stick to go through the wood.  Another option is to recess the stick from below, but you would only gain about 1/4 inch or 1 cm in height.

TTFN
Kaytirm

Yes, I explored those avenues and decided to leave it as is, the throw is still the same so it feels fine, I am most likely going to be making another CP because I am adding a couple of credit buttons to the front of this one until and I can find a nice coin door setup, I will rethink it all then.

A couple of updates, Today I measured up and installed the player 1 & 2 buttons and also installed the bottom shelf of the marque. This allowed me to see how much room I had for where I wanted the speakers and it worked out fantastic! The fit in there really well (excuse the roughly cut speaker panel.....all will be covered with speaker cloth!). This also showed me that the monitor is on a bit of an angle, it needs to drop down a bit on the left hand side, This is ok as I can now adjust it to suit the thickness of glass I am getting........

I also went down to the local Jaycar store and found these cool handles for the back, I know they are plastic but as the back panel is 16mm thick the weight will be on the wood...not the so much the handle...if that makes sense?  :dunno

I have finally ordered my Ipac, t-moulding (blue) and located some black vinyl, so it should all be happening soon!

Simon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:55:58 am by RXII »

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Update 25/7
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 12:24:12 am »
I doubt a 20" CRT could be rotated on 58cm wide cabinet. Even my 19" LCD could not be rotated on my lowboy (54cm internal width). Maybe one of the new LCDs, with thinner molding around the screen...

A 51cm screen should be able to be mounted on a (reinforced) 53/54cm circular plate and made to rotate within a 54cm internal space. I think. I haven't looked too much at the dimensions of the monitor area in the cab. If it is square shaped then a circle plate should *just* squeeze in.

Besides, I'd be willing to make my cab a centimeter or two wider if I could pull off a rotating monitor...

hbm*rais

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 10:04:15 am »
Anubis,

I just measured the screen of an old 20" TV and it has 50cm. That's just the visible part of the tube, then there is the part that is behind the frame, then the brackets... It must add to more than 54cm.

About the monitor area, at least in my lowboy, it's not square (something I regret now). It's 54x51cm.

If you want to pull off the rotating monitor, you should add at least 5cm in width and deepth. And probably increase the height too, otherwise it will look out of proportion.

Sorry for the hijacking...

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2020, 06:23:29 pm
  • In Brisbane, it's GMT+10 all the time.
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 11:29:52 am »
Lovely work.  Go the Aussie lowboy!!!

MrQuan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2008, 03:47:14 am
  • Well, at least you threw a punch...
    • Tilt Arcade - Check it out!
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 12:32:11 pm »
G'day,

Your lowboy is looking really good.  I love that version.  I've been looking out for a lowboy up here in brissy, they are so neat and compact and I'd like to get some of my PCBs in cabs.

Perhaps I should build one like you... I dunno, I still have two other WIPs ::)  I should finish something first :p

Well done anyways, you're doing a top job ;)

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 07:12:26 pm »
Thanks guys,
                    There a few that pop up on ebay now and then, but they seem to bring crazy money. I figured the only way I could modify it enough to have it as a jukebox and pinball machine was to build one from scratch. Those speakers sound great pointed right at you and the sub sounds great. I dont think I could have fitted the speakers like this in my original cabinet.

Perhaps I should build one like you... I dunno, I still have two other WIPs ::)  I should finish something first :p

I know what you mean, I have already gathered a PC, monitor and a have enough MDF left over to do a cocktail cab, looking forward to getting into that but better finish this 1st!

Cheers,

Simon.

Firefly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2010, 09:28:39 pm
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 06:43:43 pm »
This is coming along wonderfully well!  Keep up the great work, your thread is definitely bookmarked with me.

MrQuan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2008, 03:47:14 am
  • Well, at least you threw a punch...
    • Tilt Arcade - Check it out!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 10:06:24 am »

I know what you mean, I have already gathered a PC, monitor and a have enough MDF left over to do a cocktail cab, looking forward to getting into that but better finish this 1st!

Yeah... um... I found one local to me being sold.  In good condition, new harness etc, ready for a JAMMA PCB.  Needless to say I bought it ;D ;D GF was thrilled as you can imagine ::)  I've got a Tumble Pop PCB I'm dying to get going, so I'll chuck that in mine :)

TheBrokentoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2009, 09:19:37 am
  • Being a noob is awesome! (not)
    • Brokentoken.com
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 10:14:15 pm »
This is a really nice looking cabinet.  Congrats on a clean build and we can't wait to see more pics!
- Whitney Roberts
http://www.brokentoken.com

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 11:00:17 pm »
This is a really nice looking cabinet.  Congrats on a clean build and we can't wait to see more pics!
Thanks,
             I am not getting as much done to it on my holidays as I first thought. I did however finally get my hands on the black vinyl that I was after and have covered the CP, I am very happy how it has turned out.....

I also got these really cool illuminated coin buttons from Ozstick......

I also got my I-Pac, T-Moulding and a wiring kit which was great. I have mounted the Ipac under the CP and wired it all up. I was very happy when I fired it up and everything works as it should. So now that the cabinet works I couldn't help but play a few games!!
Hopefully get more done today....its bloody freezing in the garage though!

Simon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:58:14 am by RXII »

Austin.Wolff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2011, 03:53:32 pm
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 5th August
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 10:46:08 pm »
Can you post the cutout diagram for your CP?  That's basically the one I'm looking to build for my current project, and it'd save a lot of time :)

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 05:08:43 pm »
Yep, no worries. Here it is here.......

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31087492/CPtemplates.zip

Enjoy!

Simon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:04:03 am by RXII »

philby85

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2008, 08:25:17 pm
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 07:17:39 pm »
Hi Simon,

Great work! Looks awesome so far. I love lowboy's, I have built two so far. Where did you get the cp vinyl from? It has a real nice
grain look to it.

cheers

Philby

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 07:29:57 pm »
Wow - that vinyl looks great.  I also love those coin buttons.  Very nice job!   :cheers:

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 08:53:23 pm »
Hi Simon,

Great work! Looks awesome so far. I love lowboy's, I have built two so far. Where did you get the cp vinyl from? It has a real nice
grain look to it.

cheers

Philby

Thanks guys,
                      I got the vinyl from Clark Rubber here in Geelong, Vic. I had alot of trouble getting it as it was on backorder for what felt like months! I also shopped around and found something very similar at a local motor trimmers. If you want some I could organise it for you if you want as I got the 1st cut off a huge new roll!. Not sure where you are located.

Cheers,

Simon.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 02:46:18 pm by RXII »

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 15th August
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 12:35:16 pm »
Hi Guys,
              Had a chance to put in some hours on the cabinet over the weekend and today.
My first attempt at using a slot cutter, I practiced on a scrap piece first and triple checked the location with some t-moulding....all good. This is working out better than I expected as the MDF is 18mm thick and the vinyl is 1mm thick. The T-moulding I bought is 20mm thick which means no trimming required!  ;D This was more a case of good luck than good management. I stuffed up a bit on one panel, for some reason the router started to head upwards even though I was applying a bit of pressure to keep it in place???  :dunno I should be able to pack it with something to keep it straight. Once I got the hang of it and learnt that I could stop and restart the cutter anywhere I needed made it alot easier to keep an eye on the slot quality.

I have painted up all of the inner framework in gloss black, I didn't waste too much time doing this as you aren't going too see it much. I have decided that it was easier to just cover the whole inside of the cabinet with vinyl as I had to cover most of it anyway due to the fact the front panels are not flush with the edges of the sides on this design. I was originally going to glue and screw the cabinet together but I have to have the vinyl under the framework so all of the front and rear panels are still 600 wide. This should also give a nicer overall finish with no possibility of wood showing anywhere! I simply applied a spray on contact adhesive to both surfaces and stuck them together, as you can see in the picture the sun has caused some creasing which I have since fixed buy pulling the vinyl tighter and rescrewing the framework.....in hindsight putting it in the sun wasn't such a good idea.

The second panel came out ALOT better.......still learning! ;)

I have also started to paint the insides of the front and rear panels ready to have the vinyl applied to the outside. Here is the base....

Has anybody else covered a cabinet with this type of vinyl? I would be keen to see some some pictures if anyone knows of one. Hopefully it should be standing by itself again later this week....stay tuned.

Simon.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:06:25 am by RXII »

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 15th August
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 02:48:27 pm »
I finally got it looking like a cabinet again today, yesterday I covered the top shelf with vinyl and stapled it in place, came up great!

I had to attach the back panel temporarily to keep everything square. Couldn't resist sitting the CP on there to check it out! Getting exciting now........

On closer inspection on the top of the shelf I found some "bunching" of the vinyl in the corner, I will have to trim it slightly.........no big deal  :-\

Also couldn't resist roughly putting a scrap piece of t-mould on to check the colours together....very happy. Can't wait to get all this MDF dust off everything though!

Hopefully I can do some more today, I need to cut the handles out for the back and cover that panel, attach the castors, and fit the monitor again ready to check the glass fitment. Stay tuned.....

Cheers,
Simon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:09:03 am by RXII »