Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Operation 'Lowboy' 95% Done! Updated 5th October '07  (Read 36904 times)

RXII

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2014, 07:45:51 pm
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 15th August
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2007, 04:30:09 pm »
Got some more done on the cabinet today, I finally got around to getting some photos of the underside of the control panel, I am no electrician but are pretty happy how it came out.....best part is that it works!  ;D I added the pinball button wires today so its ready to go once the outside is covered.........

I permanently attached the CP and sat the monitor in so I could check the glass placement.........

I found the monitor was still slightly lower on the LH side which showed up even more with the glass in place, so I have jacked it up a bit with some square hardwood under the monitor mount (luckily you cant see it!  ;))........

And finally the glass in place......

I am not 100% happy with the amount of tint in the glass, you can still easily see where the monitor bezel finishes so I am going to get some thin ply or something I can make the same size of the glass and cover that in black contact or maybe some leftover vinyl and place it in between the monitor bezel and the glass.

I even had my wife helping me today which was great, she is keen to see it finished, maybe so the garage can be cleaned up???? She also helped me with the stapling of the vinyl beside the T-mould slot, this keeps the vinyl taught while the contact adhesive dries and with a small tap with the hammer doesn't interfere with the T-moulding at all.
Getting there.......

Cheers,

Simon.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:14:14 am by RXII »
Operation Aussie Lowboy http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68962.0
Soon I may actually be able to play it!

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 29th August
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2007, 04:50:13 pm »
I am not 100% happy with the amount of tint in the glass, you can still easily see where the monitor bezel finishes so I am going to get some thin ply or something I can make the same size of the glass and cover that in black contact or maybe some leftover vinyl and place it in between the monitor bezel and the glass.

I remember seeing a cheap and clean option for the bezel a while back.  Just tape off the area where the monitor is and spray paint one side black.  Then make sure and place the painted side down.  Should give it a glossy look.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2007, 05:03:13 pm »
Thanks, thats a great idea. I also forgot to mention that the glass sits a bit too low at the control panel so something under there may help. I could also do your trick and add some beading to the side to hold the glass up and in the right place. Hmmmm decisions

Thanks,
Simon.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2007, 04:46:25 pm »
Just a quick update...... I found some reasonable thick cardboard at the local art supply shop which measured up perfectly and in black!  ;) So I have cut it to shape and fitted that under the glass. I went this way as I want to have an instruction card under the glass. I have also cut the speaker mounts and covered the lower shelf. I am not 100% happy with the speaker mounts as I had cut them with the jigsaw with the mind of completely covering the wood with speaker cloth. My wife thought it would be a good idea to cover the wood in vinyl (keep the theme) and then poke the speakers through covered with the speaker cloth. Not sure which way to go yet. The cuts I made were a little to 'non-precise' to actually show and I don't want to cut another panel as the angle of the cut that sits on the angled monitor glass was a nightmare!

Getting closer.......Pics up soon  8)

Simon.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 5th September '07
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2007, 04:42:34 pm »
Hi Guys,
                As mentioned above I couldn't decide on which way to go with the speakers, here is what I am talking about......

It is very difficult to get the speaker through with the cloth on as it bunches and tears.....

Without the cloth and normally silver outline of the speaker 'painted' black with texta! I would have to do a better job than this if I went this way with it.

After much deliberation and procrastination I decided to have the speakers covered, the original idea of this cabinet was to try and keep it similar to the cabinet I copied...I think the speakers are a bit too bright for the black/blue theme. So this is what I ended up with after much swearing......

I am still not 100% happy with it but not sure how else to go about it. Maybe some sort of trim to go around the speakers edge??...suggestions??
I need to have this done so I can fill all the holes in the sides and cover the outer panels.
I also finished off the back top panel and fitted the handles and some vents. I will monitor the heat inside the cabinet to see f it's necessary to fit a fan as well. The hole on the left is for the speaker control wire to go through. This will neatly sit on the top of the cab.

More to come tomorrow......must get it finished!

Simon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:17:06 am by RXII »

philby85

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2008, 08:25:17 pm
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 6th September '07
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2007, 06:45:01 pm »
Looking great Simon, keep up the attention to detail!

philby

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2020, 06:23:29 pm
  • In Brisbane, it's GMT+10 all the time.
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2007, 05:44:16 pm »
I love lowboys.  Specifically I love this lowboy :)

That vinyl puckering around the speakers is a shame isn't it.  Have you considered, rather than poking the speakers through the vinyl, wrapping that entire panel in some speaker cloth?  You wouldn't see the two speakers individually but it might make it look neater. 

My apologies if you think that's a good idea and it's too late.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2007, 06:56:10 pm »
Hi Shock_,
                  Thanks for the reply, you are right, I am still not happy with this and it's not too late to change it. I haven't stopped up the holes yet due to this speaker issue. I was originally going to cover the whole panel and I think thats what I am going to do. I have gone to far too much trouble with it so far to have something like this annoying me everytime I look at the cab! I also have a weird issue now that wasn't there during mock up and that is the monitor is discoloured at the top due to the speakers I would imagine. They are PC speakers and imagine they are shielded.....does anyone know of any additional shielding I could add while I have the speaker panel out??

Any help would be great,

Simon.

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2007, 07:31:27 pm »
Kreat!

..the cab looks really good! But, what are you using to hold that (faux?) leather in place around the speaker holes?

shock_'s idea sounds good, but still? I'd use good quality contact glue. Just cut the "leather" to extend at least 1 centimeter behind the speaker opening (ie. just cut a slit in the center..). As soon as the contact glue is "ready" wrap it TIGHT around the edges and use clamps to hold the folds in place for a few hours -> should work, without wrinkles/etc.?*  Or, use both contact glue and some speaker cloth ?! :)

Keep up the good work  :cheers:

psychotech

*T-molding stays in place with good contact glue. I've used it on two projects so far :) (See BJ & PB in my sig if in doubt.)

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2007, 08:35:23 pm »
Kreat!

..the cab looks really good! But, what are you using to hold that (faux?) leather in place around the speaker holes?

shock_'s idea sounds good, but still? I'd use good quality contact glue. Just cut the "leather" to extend at least 1 centimeter behind the speaker opening (ie. just cut a slit in the center..). As soon as the contact glue is "ready" wrap it TIGHT around the edges and use clamps to hold the folds in place for a few hours -> should work, without wrinkles/etc.?*  Or, use both contact glue and some speaker cloth ?! :)

Keep up the good work  :cheers:

psychotech

*T-molding stays in place with good contact glue. I've used it on two projects so far :) (See BJ & PB in my sig if in doubt.)

Thanks, thats exactly what I have been doing but with the aid of good staples to hold everything in place. Even with good quality contact adhesive I find that once its cured and the clamps have been removed the vinyl still moves back if it has been stretched, thats the reason why the side are all stapled as shown in the pics. The only reason it has wrinkles is that the cuts I made for the speaker holes aren't straight as I first intended to cover the whole panel. I think I will go that way now.
Thanks,

Simon.

P.S - Your projects are fantastic!

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2007, 11:25:25 pm »
Very cool!!

I love this cab design!

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2007, 03:27:09 am »
With the vinyl only on one side of the t-molding, is that going to cause a problem?  Does the t-molding seat OK on the non-vinyl side?

Great craftsmanship.  Very clean.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2007, 03:51:04 am »
With the vinyl only on one side of the t-molding, is that going to cause a problem?  Does the t-molding seat OK on the non-vinyl side?

Great craftsmanship.  Very clean.

The vinyl is going on both sides, the outer panels will be the very last thing I cover as I want to make sure everything else lines up and fits before I cover it. Once the vinyl goes on I will not be able to remove the top marquee shelfs etc as the screws will be filled and covered. The t-mould sits perfect as the staples and tapped down to sit below the level of the vinyl, I am really happy with that side of the build.

Thanks,

Simon.

Dire Radiant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2011, 03:11:36 am
  • Cor, chief!
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2007, 09:15:26 am »
I love the clean look of this. Your control panel layout is the work of a true genius (This may or may not have something to do with the fact that it's identical to mine) The nice thing is that these are so compact that you can easily build another for vertical games and have the best of both worlds.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2007, 08:55:31 pm »
Hi guys,
             Bit more of an update.....I have redone the speaker panel and I am glad I did. I lashed out and bought some 'proper' acoustic speaker cloth from a local electronics store. I have left the vinyl on there but removed the existing cloth off the speakers. I simply wrapped the cloth over the whole panel and it is now as I originally pictured it..you can just see the speakers through the cloth and they even sound better than the other black material I had over them.......

I have also stopped up all the screw holes in the side ready to cover the side panels.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Simon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:19:08 am by RXII »

shock_

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2020, 06:23:29 pm
  • In Brisbane, it's GMT+10 all the time.
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 17th September '07
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2007, 08:05:36 am »
 :applaud: speakers look much better.  You can line up a 20c piece on the glass for me for suggesting it : :P

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2007, 08:47:19 am »
:applaud: speakers look much better.  You can line up a 20c piece on the glass for me for suggesting it : :P

Thanks, will do. Today I got some sanding done on the sides and they are ready for the vinyl to be applied. Also picked up 2 laser cut pieces of perspex for the marquee, I have some artwork in mind but at this stage its not very original! Got a local sign place to give me a quote on printing my design and was quoted $88 for a 600mm X 120mm print!!!!! I had to ask him if I heard correctly...and nearly fell over!  ::) May have a go at printing one myself while I get a few more quotes!

Stay tuned.....

Simon.

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2007, 06:43:42 am »
Years ago when I did my cab conversion I got a MAME marquee printed off at either Kwik Kopy or Kinkos or one of these type places... laser print on glossy paper and it cost me around $30. Now, that was back in November 2003 but inflation hasn't been THAT much... $88 is way too much IMO.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2007, 12:22:09 pm »
Yeah I ended up dropping it off to someone at KwikCopy that I know. They were going to forward it on to a poster printer for me. I should have it in the next couple of days. In the meantime I have been playing with Visual Pinball and trying to get that side of it working with Mala. Having a bit of trouble getting the wrapper working....thats another story (one for the software forum!).

I have also covered the back panel and the cabinet is currently in my study where it is occassionally being played waiting for for enough spare time to cover the sides...I want to take my time with it.

Cheers,

Simon.

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2007, 07:46:19 pm »
RXII, let us know how much the marquee printing ended up costing... am interested to know considering I will be there myself in the next few months.

Good luck with the visual pinball wrappers... I had a sonovabitch time with those wrappers when I was looking into visual pinball. Unfortunately, it's ruled out now for my cab since I went with a CGA screen.

Mirickle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2015, 02:50:05 pm
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2007, 05:28:01 pm »
I really like this cab!

Could you post some dimensions & specs? I'd be interested in cab height, width & depth, CP height & width and screen angle.

I'm considering to start my own lowboy project :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:29:50 pm by Mirickle »

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2007, 08:17:44 pm »

Mirickle, do it! Lowboys rule!!

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2007, 09:16:48 pm »
Hi Guys,
               I will try and get some measurements up soon, I am no good working out angles and stuff but will get you enough measurements to get you underway.  ;D

Today I hope to get the sides covered, the weather here has been terrible lately...very windy and cold so I have been waiting to have some spare time and nice weather! I will get some photos today...stay tuned.

I am still having trouble with the wrapper installation, I have spoken to Howard C (he is very helpful but I dont want to continue bothering him too much) but for some reason my PC just won't do what its suppose to. I can execute VP fine from Mala by itself but its just messy the way it brings up the windows etc. I am beginning to wonder if its anything to do with my TinyXP install as I had to manually install 'windows installer' just so I could execute the VP install pack. Oh well, I will persist more once the cabinet itself is finished.

RXII, let us know how much the marquee printing ended up costing... am interested to know considering I will be there myself in the next few months.

Good luck with the visual pinball wrappers... I had a sonovabitch time with those wrappers when I was looking into visual pinball. Unfortunately, it's ruled out now for my cab since I went with a CGA screen.

I got a phone call yesterday saying that they 'lost' my marquee file. So I just went back in there and gave it to them again....I was expecting to actually have it a week ago! Maybe the $88 isn't looking so bad now!  :angry:

Cheers,

Simon.

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2007, 09:37:09 am »
RX, whats the "internal" width of your lowboy? (CP width, in other words)

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2007, 11:29:36 am »
RX, whats the "internal" width of your lowboy? (CP width, in other words)

The CP width is exactly 600mm..hope this helps.

I got a fair bit done today with the help of my wife who is thankfully just as keen as me to see this thing finished! We layed the cabinet done on its side to make it easier to work on and applied the vinyl to the outer panel. The contact adhesive seems to be working pretty good with this MDF/Vinyl combination but we have still stretched the vinyl and stapled it in place all the way around the edge. Then the exciting part....fitting the T-Moulding! .............

I am pretty happy with how it turned out but the moulding isn't as easy to apply as first thought. We nothched out the moulding around the tighter corners and applied some glue to help hold it in.

Then we flipped it over applied the vinyl on the other side. I am going to let this side 'cure' a bit before I put the T-Moulding on as on the first side as I tapped the moulding in the vinyl 'puckered' up slightly. Live and learn!  ;)

So hopefully tomorrow I have time to fit the last of the moulding and take it inside. Only thing left to do it fit the door and marquee artwork! Yay!

Cheers,
Simon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:22:12 am by RXII »

The Chugnut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2008, 04:20:01 am
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 3rd October '07
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2007, 10:25:06 am »
This is looking awesome mate!  :cheers:

I really fancy making myself a lowboy now.

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' underway ! Updated 5th October '07
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2007, 12:41:41 pm »
This is looking awesome mate!  :cheers:

I really fancy making myself a lowboy now.
Thanks! I recommend one of these as they are pretty easy to build and don't take up too much room!

Got a bit done today, I got the call to pick up the artwork and couldn't be happier how it came out. They fitted 3 of the same marquee onto the same page just in case I damaged one. I know its not very original but I think it fits the colour scheme well. It looks backlit even when its not! Here it is fitted roughly... I need to take it out again as I am going to move the light closer to the plexi and add some foil or something as a reflector behind the light.

I also managed to get the other piece of T-Moulding on which came out alot better after allowing the adhesive to go off properly...minimal 'puckering'! I cut the hole out for the pinball buttons and refit them as well. I think the colours look great.....

I think I am going to either paint or powdercoat the marquee retainers as they aren't a true black and find some better screws that aren't as 'in your face'. My local hardware place doesn't have much of a range of fancy bolts and screws.

All that is left to do is cover and fit the door and continue on with the software side of things...at least its permanantly inside....now to clean up the garage!

Cheers,

Simon.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:24:50 am by RXII »

Mirickle

• Offline Offline
Re: Operation 'Lowboy' 95% Done! Updated 5th October '07
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2007, 01:01:50 pm »
It turned out very nice! In fact it will come to serve as the inspiration for my first project :)

:applaud:

Mirickle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2007, 05:59:15 pm »
Could you tell me what the CP height and total height of your cab are?

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2007, 07:45:22 pm »
Excellent end result... halfway through the thread I was also going to suggest you cover the whole speaker panel with speaker cloth, I'm glad to see you did. The other suggestion (looking at those speakers) was going to be to see if you could de-case the speakers (they seem to have a front plastic panel and a surround) and wrap the cloth around the front plastic and inbetween the surround plastic (which would have given it a cleaner look than trying to wrap the whole speaker).

What you went for though looks even better than I thought... well done.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:01:19 pm by dmworking247 »

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2007, 12:34:51 am »
Could you tell me what the CP height and total height of your cab are?

The height of the base of the joystick is 92cm or 36 inches and the total height of the cabinet is 145cm or 57 inches. Hope this helps.

Excellent end result... halfway through the thread I was also going to suggest you cover the whole speaker panel with speaker cloth, I'm glad to see you did. The other suggestion (looking at those speakers) was going to be to see if you could de-case the speakers (they seem to have a front plastic panel and a surround) and wrap the cloth around the front plastic and inbetween the surround plastic (which would have given it a cleaner look than trying to wrap the whole speaker).

What you went for though looks even better than I thought... well done.
Hi, thanks for your comments. I am very happy how the speakers turned out. I did have a look at the speakers and they don't look too easy to 'decase', I also didn't want to change their sound as they sound great. I took your advive and have updated my Aussie Arcade project thread http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php?t=3865

Thanks again.

Simon.

Mirickle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2009, 01:05:14 pm »

After about 1.5 years, my lowboy is almost done :)

It was inspired by RXII's lowboy. Cynical people might call it a shameless rip-off of RXII's cab ;)

I'll put up a topic when it's done :)

RXII

• Offline Offline
    • Aussie Lowboy Buildup
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2009, 01:27:51 pm »

After about 1.5 years, my lowboy is almost done :)

It was inspired by RXII's lowboy. Cynical people might call it a shameless rip-off of RXII's cab ;)

I'll put up a topic when it's done :)

Thanks mate, nice to hear you have built one. Can't wait to have a look. My 4 year old and I have been playing it a bit lately and I have managed to keep the cab in the main living room next to the TV with no complaints from the wife! I have been sooo slack in updating this thread as life has got in the way, I will get some finished pics up soon.  My new shed is just about finished so I am keen to build a cocktail cab.

Cheers,
RXII

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2009, 01:48:50 pm »
That looks top notch! I really love the blue/black theme. I know that colour scheme has been done to death but it's still my favourite combo.  :applaud:

jeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2012, 03:45:21 pm
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2009, 07:56:56 pm »
nice work! Must admit, I was worried about the vinyl there for a bit but it looks great! and nice work on rescuing the speaker panel, looks real good :)
Current Project: Mortal Arcade

Mirickle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2010, 02:14:56 pm »
Just thought I'd post my shameless ripoff of RXII's wonderful design :)

Great minds (and cabinets...) look alike  :cheers:

bgspot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2020, 12:37:52 pm
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2010, 02:39:08 pm »
Pretty sweet. Hoping i can achieve that same clean look on my cab. :applaud:

Congui

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2015, 12:54:53 pm
  • Newbie!
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2010, 04:50:07 pm »
It's definetely a wonderful design 8).  I hope I can start mine this year. :cheers:

Gorotsuki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2011, 10:51:25 pm
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2010, 05:03:45 pm »
I really like it.
The speakers turned out well too.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2010, 10:57:41 pm »
Nice looking cab.   :applaud:

I picked up a pair of those same speakers a couple of weeks ago.  I've been struggling with how to hide the silver and am pleased to see how your solution turned out.  Did you leave the remote volume control on top of the cabinet or mount it somewhere?