Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** GIFT: Sketchup plans and... ARTWORK!  (Read 131297 times)

ARTIFACT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
Re: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** Upright cab (scratch) - UPDATE 8/27
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2007, 01:26:26 am »
I just placed my oder for Marquee & CPO from www.MameMarquees.com woooooowww .......... :)

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2007, 08:42:32 pm »
... waiting for mamemarquee CPO + marquee ... :)
Apparently they are on holidays and will resume printing next week.. NEED ... PATIENCE!!!

OH I plugged the trackball's LED to my PC power supply (12V) and ** WOW ** this rocks. I will take some pics and post them here tonight if I can ... the translucent blue rocks.

I did a quick connection test with 2 buttons per player (for now) and fine-tuned the way I control MALA. Here's the best configuration so far:

. Use Mala "Tree" configuration

. Trackball = scroll list up/down (THIS ROCKS! you can THROW the ball and ZOOOOM thru the list)

. Player 1 Joystick up/down = scroll list A -> Z (letters)

. Player 1 Start = Select item

. Exit button (red on top left, 4 inches from start) = Exit current tree node (go to parent)

This is consistent to how it works inside the games too (P1 start = start; Exit = go back to menu)

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2007, 09:14:19 pm »
Awesome!  :notworthy:

I'm sure Jack will be happy in that phunky cab :)

Great job  :cheers:

psychotech

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2007, 11:41:07 pm »
thank you!

What is JACK? :)

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2007, 05:18:55 am »
Heh ;)

« Reply #150 »

Bomb Jack ...

psychotech

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2007, 10:39:37 am »
ahh yes!

i love bomb jack

im a liiiiittle disapointed by the list of trackball games though... :(
half of it is variants of bowling or golf, many of which im dont like that much. i went thru the list (mala reported about 80 masters) and did enjoy a few games of course, but i was expecting more from 30 years of trackball arcades... TELL ME I AM WRONG!

i already posted a thread asking for lists of the best TB games, ill  dig it up now that its playable :)

i found a ton of awesome spinner games though.

my coin mechs are more messed up than i thought, so i put a cherry microswitch behind the coin return 1 button and that adds credits. dropping a coin was working but the original switch registered a click only 50% of the time. ill see if i can find newer mechs and wire both return buttons (handy) and the coin drops (for fun)

i also need to find 2 led lights to illuminate the coin return buttons

Stobe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 05:08:05 pm
  • Don't make a fuss, I'll have your Spam!
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2007, 02:27:39 pm »
my coin mechs are more messed up than i thought, so i put a cherry microswitch behind the coin return 1 button and that adds credits. dropping a coin was working but the original switch registered a click only 50% of the time. ill see if i can find newer mechs and wire both return buttons (handy) and the coin drops (for fun)

How much more "Arcade Authentic" could you ask for?

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2007, 07:11:48 pm »
You shouldnt need to do anything to your trackball hole since the lip from the trackball sticks up almost 1/8" and the lexan is almost 1/8" so they look flush.  Thats how mine is anyway. 

Your color coordination and your artwork are amazing.  I wish I had something like that.  The retro style looks great with a perfect control set up.

edit:/  I sorta went nuts on mine and its all big and tasteless.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 01:03:22 am by Timoe »

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2007, 08:03:19 pm »
Thank you Timoe!

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2007, 11:05:14 am »
...i already posted a thread asking for lists of the best TB games, ill  dig it up now that its playable :)
Leapinlew turned me on to a cool site that should help you out.  The folks at mameworld have a good ROM ranking system / advanced search feature that should give you the list you're looking for.  Check it out at: http://www.mameworld.net/maws

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2007, 03:12:57 pm »
thanks

im familiar with MAWS - though i still wanted to see if i missed dsme awesome trackball titles.

maws has a few titles that have bloated number of votes i think (dragon ball z is #1!) so i wasnt sure i could trust the ranking system.

i do lke it to list things by control type - although i get mala to do that too

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2007, 05:18:34 pm »
quick update: Illuminated trackball!

Sorry no night/dark shots ... it's still bright though!
I haven't put the bezel yet as I am still adjusting the screen angle etc.

More pics of illuminated trackball in the dark, later.

*** Still waiting for my artwork from mamemarquees.com!!! they are back from holidays this week AAAHH ***

My little guy and I are already playing a lot of Donkey Kong, original Mario Bros, Dig Dug, etc... He also loves Caveman Ninjas / Joe & Mac and New Zealand Story... OH and Cameltry RULES.

Oh.. This is my CPO which "wraps" all around my CP (top, front, bottom: 28" x 21"):

Marquee (already posted):
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:31:13 am by ARTIFACT »

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Re: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** Upright cab (scratch) - UPDATE 9/2
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2007, 01:20:30 am »
As promised.... :)

Pics pics pics!

** REMEMBER: ARTWORK NOT FINAL IN PICS, and LONGER JOYSTICK SHAFTS COMING SOON **

NEXT?

. receive the final CPO + Marquee
. wire up all the controls (right now it's temporary)
. finalize monitor position/angle, remove part of the case, move some PCBs
. add a bezel
. wire up LEDs behind the coin return buttons
. figure out a headphones solution... probably extend the existing headphone connector to below the CP
. move the cab upstairs in the family room :)

LATER

. add pinball buttons + figure out future-pinball install/wrapper/etc
. order an Act Labs lightgun (still really confused about LCD vs Act Labs... will keep researching)
. design and build a quick mounting solution for my Logitech Driving Force PRO wheel / pedals (Daytona!)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:36:52 am by ARTIFACT »

Lakersfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 12:16:07 am
Re: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** Upright cab (scratch) - UPDATE 9/2 * NEW shiny pics
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2007, 12:35:39 am »
Unbelievable! Looks really nice. Question on your trackball ... how thick is your plexi? That's a regular TB, right (as opposed to a "highlip")? My understanding was that if i was going to want to put 1/8" plexi on it, that I'd need the high lip. But yours looks smooth! Exactly the way I want it. Maybe you're using a thinner plexi?

Keep up the good work!

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Re: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** Upright cab (scratch) - UPDATE 9/2 * NEW shiny pics
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2007, 01:03:35 am »
1/16"

You're correct! funny thing is.. I didn't measure... I went to the plastic store and first asked for 1/8", but then switched to 1/16"

I like the 1/16", but it's a bit flexible... On the front edge of the CP someone "could" pull it up and bend it - any idea to fix it down without ruining the CPO?

Thanks BTW! :) I have fun taking pics as I go... It's really cool to look back.
My artwork better arrive soon!!!

Lakersfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2007, 01:16:16 am »
Once you see your artwork, you'll be sooooooo impressed. I just received my marquee (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=69079.0) right before Scott from mamemarquees went on vacation. It looks awesome! I can't wait to get it on the cab. I've been waiting though, as I consider it a "finale" sort of thing and I'm far from my finale.  ;)

Back to the plexi - how was the 1/16" to cut? Any cracks? My CP will have curved edges so I can't cut and snap it. I'm thinking I'll have to router it around my CP...

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2007, 01:28:56 am »
I think I was lucky... I just used HOLE SAWs (!) ... 1 1/8" for the buttons + sticks, 3" for the trackball...

important: I sandwiched the plexi between the CP top (with existing holes) and another piece of scrap 3/4" plywood using clamps. Then I used the hole saws and used the side with existing holes as guides... I went SLOWLY (don't push down too hard) ... Eventually the hole saw went through the plexi. The piece of scrap plywood was there to avoid any tearing or problems. BTW the plexi they sold me is the same stuff LEXAN is made of ("polycarbonate") ... I hear that regular plexiglass can be much more a nightmare to cut.

But the plastic shop cut my 28" x 8" piece ... I didn't have to make long cuts.

Good luck with yours!

I ordered the "ULTIMATE" marquee material from Scott, and the laminated vinyl CPO with adhesive backing :) ... I will probably use wood fill to fill the gaps of the trackball to avoid everything showing thru due to adhesive
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:38:21 am by ARTIFACT »

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2007, 05:53:34 am »
Oh.. This is my CPO which "wraps" all around my CP (top, front, bottom: 28" x 21"):

Marquee (already posted):

If I haven't said this all ready, I really dig your artwork.  Good job on this!  I can only imagine how satisfying it is to see your project rounding the corner to being done!  Can't wait to see the finish out.

-csa

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2007, 10:54:14 am »
Thank you csa3d!

The artwork is SIMPLE and I debated forever on whether or not adding "contours" around the button areas, text labels "select" "exit", etc... Since I am still tweaking the way the menu looks and menu interaction works, I went for a more generic CPO and plan to perhaps make some temporary sticker labels with my inkjet that can easily peel off the vinyl CPO from time to time if needed.

I love the "stripes". I think it is going to look pretty authentic/classic.

It feels wonderful to be almost there... There are still a few remaining things to do, as listed in my previous post, but I am getting there :)

I see that MAMEMARQUEES / Scott has updated my order status on September 1st to "processing" ...  this is 4 days later, so hopefully printing+shipping will happen this week! :cheers:

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2007, 11:11:53 am »
My little guy and I are already playing a lot of Donkey Kong, original Mario Bros, Dig Dug, etc... He also loves Caveman Ninjas / Joe & Mac and New Zealand Story... OH and Cameltry RULES.
It's nice to see the next generation of video addicts in training.  Cameltry is entirely different when played with a trackball instead of a JS.  My daughter loves that game.  Great progress.

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
Re: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** Upright cab (scratch) - UPDATE 9/2 * NEW shiny pi
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2007, 11:19:48 am »

I like the 1/16", but it's a bit flexible... On the front edge of the CP someone "could" pull it up and bend it - any idea to fix it down without ruining the CPO?

You can put t-molding in front of it to cover it.  Or you will have to do what most arcade do, drill some screw into it to hold it down.  I am also afraid that even with the t-molding, you might have to put screws in there to hold it down due to how thin and flexible it is.

Not sure if it's too late, but another reason why people use thicker plexi is due to how solid it is, so it don't easily bend.  Mine is 1/8 or so and all that's holding it is the buttons and t-molding.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2007, 01:19:42 pm »
thanks!

yep i may just get a 1/8 lexan top and replace it

no t-molding due to my nice wrap-around cpo (see latest post above)

instead i will ask the plasic shop to cut the long edge with a curved bevel. they can do that.

i may even go 1/4'

stephenp1983

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 11:26:39 am
Re: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** Upright cab (scratch) - UPDATE 9/2 * NEW shiny pi
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2007, 09:41:05 pm »
I really like the glow on the trackball.  It looks great.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2007, 01:17:26 am »
OMG i am in the middle of soldering a headphones jack to my de-cased PC Speaker amplifier PCB...

(pic of the de-cased pc speaker amplifier PCB)

BUT ... it happened that a physical switch was placed on the amplifier PCB BEHIND the jack... opening a circuit which disabled the main speaker output when the plug "pushed" the switch. ARGHH

SO

I am no electronic wiz, but I figured out how to reuse one of the headphone sides on my panel jack to open that when the headphones are plugged... It's a Radio Shack jack which has 5 prongs instead of just 3 ... the extra 2 are activated when the jack is not plugged. I was able to use that to replace the physical switch.

The result?

It works BUT 1 of the sides in the headphones is not working... IT'S OK... THE main goal was to give the miss a break with the noise when I play :) ... I'll just make a mono merger adapter so both ears get audio (just the same side). I can leave without true stereo headphones, especially when most of the times it's Donkey Kong that's running! ;)

I am proud that it's working!! Again I am totally new to all this stuff...
I had a ton of fun doing it...

see more details here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=70898.0

bfauska

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2007, 01:52:59 am »
Congratulations on the semi (mono) success.  Your project is looking great, and like many others have said the artwork is totally classy and authentic/retro looking. 

I can't decide what I like more about your project, the project itself or picturing all the fun you seem to be having.  I enjoy my projects (both arcade and work) but seldom realize how much it can be like a puzzle or game. I suppose I have a good time doing the stuff, but you always sound like you are having as much fun as a kid at a carnival.  Congratulations on discovering the new great hobby and I hope it stays this much fun for you.  I also hope to try and apply some of that outlook on all my projects, everything is like a puzzle or game and figuring it out should be a blast.

:cheers:  :applaud:

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2007, 02:59:13 am »
bfauska: what can I say ... THANK YOU for the kind words. Yes I am super enthusiastic to be lucky enough to build something like this, get challenged by various things to solve, etc... Definitely like a puzzle/game.

Guess what: ---------------- PICS UPDATE!!!!!!

NEW: (beat up) COIN DOOR ILLUMINATED! (2 super bright red LEDs, 5V, connected to PC power supply)

My amp PCB after my carnage of soldering ... It wasn't as simple as planned :)

My new headphone jack ... Notice the 2 extra wires at the top, replacing the extra physical switch I mentioned (turns off speakers when plugged)

The radio shack headphones jack specs ... I used #3 and #2 as the new switch/circuit for the speakers trigger

WOOOOWW PROGRESS PROGRESS!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:03:51 am by ARTIFACT »

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
the wait for my package from scott (mamemarquees.com) is killing me! ............. my order has been saying 'processing' for more than a week... :( I ordered at the wrong time (right before they got back from vacation i think)... i know that they are usually very quick to ship, so it's a rare situation... keeping my fingers crossed.

in the meantime I am figuring out my monitor position/angle/decasing situation... I am scared to mess with all the pcbsinside the monitor, its very intricate with a dozen or so connectors between the pcbs.

thanks again for all the encouragements :)

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
I *just* ordered Randy's LED MATRIX MARQUEE LIGHT ;)

I like the fact that it doesn't get hot, doesn't use as much power, etc.. I want to leave my cab on for long periods of time, and I think the old tube fixture I have could be a fire hazard eventually (it looks like it is from the 50's! ... it may be)

I also ordered a Bits LTD SMART STRIP ... gotta power that monitor in sync with the computer :)

In a week or so, I'll order *one* ACT LABS Light Gun (with PC USB VGA box) in RED :) ... YES these are expensive, but hey... I don't want to fight with drivers forever (what seems common with LCD topgun)... If I am not 100% happy with it, I can return it and get my money back within 30 days. That works for me.

OMG... Scott emailed me back and ... he did not have my files (!!!) ... Some glitch in the email system perhaps... I had emailed the files attached at the same time as ordering/paying... :(
I re-uploaded the files and will keep my fingers crossed to see the package show up at my door soon.......................................... :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 02:34:22 am by ARTIFACT »

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
Re: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** Upright cab (scratch) - UPDATE 9/5 Coin Door LEDs
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2007, 11:36:31 am »
I also ordered a Bits LTD SMART STRIP ... gotta power that monitor in sync with the computer :)

Any reason you didn't go with the Sears Smartstrip?  Curious, as I'm about to pull the trigger on a power solution soon.

Thanks
-csa

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Well I dropped by Sears the other day and I thought I spoke Klingon when I described the smart strip (...?)

They said "never heard of it ... order from online if it's there"

Others have mentioned using the Bits LTD a lot, so I went to the site and pulled the trigger on one.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
**** UPDATE ****

. Smart Power Strip installed! (BITS LTD brand)

. LED Marquee light installed! (GroovyGameGear.com)

My arcade cabinet is truly a ONE BUTTON OPERATION now ... this smart strip is GREAT!

I love the LED marquee light, though I still have not received my proper marquee print from mamemarquees.com (same with CPO) due to some files being lost when I ordered, so I can't show you how it illuminated an actual marquee... I had it on for several hours tonight and it did not get hot or even warm. Very cool. Easy to install too (12V from Computer PSU)

Oh and ... New pics of course! ;)

My beloved LED MATRIX marquee light from GroovyGameGear.com

Smart Strip!!!

LED Matrix light installed in cab - no marquee artwork yet ... just the masking material on the Lexan sheets for now

... eagerly waiting for my package from mamemarquees.com now ;)

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Re: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** (scratch!) UPDATE 9/12 Marquee LED + Smart Strip
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2007, 11:10:33 am »
scott emailed me: my marquee and CPO are printed and will be shipped shortly! wooow ;)

oh, and I started to work on a new custom MaLa layout that follows the visual theme I went for... will post screenshots soon.

AcidArmitage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2015, 02:19:05 am
  • keeeyaaaii
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2007, 01:05:02 pm »
Your project is turning out amazing!

What game is that on the latest screenshots, ive been looking for it for a while... I was too young back then to remember the name of it

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Will game for food
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2007, 01:24:33 pm »
I will live vicariously through you this week, as I await my joysticks to show up in the mail.  Neat to see how you installed that LED marquee.  For watever reason I was thinking I was going to have to find some l-brackets, and wood never crossed my mind.

Hurry up and finish all ready! ;)
-csa

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2007, 07:49:07 pm »
Your project is turning out amazing!

What game is that on the latest screenshots, ive been looking for it for a while... I was too young back then to remember the name of it

Thank you!

It is S.T.U.N Runner (or "racer").

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2007, 07:50:29 pm »
Hurry up and finish all ready! ;)
-csa

HAHA ;) ... waiting for my MAMEMARQUEES.COM package!!!! ... it should be here in 2 days

... finishing also includes hauling the cab upstairs thru the steep stairs and around tight corners (!!!)

Lakersfan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2007, 12:32:37 am »
Did you ever get the longer handles for the joysticks?

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2007, 01:18:25 am »
Did you ever get the longer handles for the joysticks?

... I am still waiting for it ... Divemaster127 said he shipped them to me a while back, I am not sure why it hasn't arrived yet... :(

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2007, 02:04:58 am »
Patience, man, patience.

I like your power strip.  Where'd you get it from?  When I was looking the cheapest I could find was $50 delivered.  I can't wait for these things to come down in price.

Nice progress.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2007, 10:20:42 am »
an ebay shop... it was $28 + $12 shipping
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:46:35 am by ARTIFACT »