Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ** ARTIFACT Game Museum ** GIFT: Sketchup plans and... ARTWORK!  (Read 131356 times)

ARTIFACT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
ALL pictures displayed in these posts are updated!

They used to appear "jaggy" due to some code problems - Saint fixed the problems after I reported them in the "Forum Discussion" section.

:applaud:

Now my cuts look smooth :D

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Got my controls from Divemaster (I recommend doing business with him)  :applaud:

Unfortunately I just realized how short of a throw the MAG STICK PLUS joysticks have... I posted a new thread about it in the main forum to ask for input.

Pushbuttons feel really nice! This is my first arcade project, so I am learning and discovering as I go.

Next I will be doing cardboard tests/templates of my CP.

stay tuned

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
Got my controls from Divemaster...
After you do your cardboard CP layout, you will want to avoid the temptation to layout and cut your control panel.  Your next step should be with your artwork.  Some people (er, uh, not me of course) have found out the hard way that it is hard to get your printed artwork to line up exactly with existing holes in wood.  Things line up MUCH better when you make small centering marks in your final artwork, punch center holes through the artwork to the wood, then cut your holes.  You are more likely to get the artwork matched up with your controls that way.  I'm not sure if you found that in your research, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it at this point.

Great progress.

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
That is also a great way to make sure you end up getting artwork.  I have assembled several CPs for my cabinet and I don't mind the idea of replacing the one I have with a new one cut to fit the artwork, my problem is that the cabinet is now playable w/o art.  I think cabinets that are playable before they are "finished" tend to stay that way sometimes, I know mine seems to.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
theCoder:

hey thank you a ton for your great advice - as I said I'm totally new to all of this and although I think my design and planning went very well (no bad cut or measurement to report!), as well as my cabinet construction, I have plenty left to do and many newbie mistakes could happen (see my thread about my order of Mag Stick PLUS sticks...).

bfauska:

Totally! In fact, beside the fact that I don't have yet all the pieces / tools I need (slot cutting bit is on its way), I play my cabinet a lot already, just with an X-Arcade 2 Player unit sitting on top of my CP board (!) ... it would be very easy for me to think it's "done"

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Just a quick pic of my cab with an X-Arcade stick sitting on future CP top, "testing" my cab :)
I am thinking to just put it in the closet (the X-Arcade) to FORCE myself to move forward with my construction :) ... as bfauska said, it's hard to make progress when the menu is there asking you to play "just one last SF2 game..." LOL

So far my son and I are enjoying these A LOT:

Ms Pac Man
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Baluba-louk no Densetsu - go try that one!

I personally love to play

SF2
Super SF2
Final Fight :) ... what other similar games do you like?
DoDonPatchi
Bomb Jack

The more I see pics of beautifully painted and colorful Ms PacMan, and others, the more I want to paint mine like that instead of staining the wood

theCoder

• Offline Offline
Ripoff is a great 2 player game.  You have to work as a team.  Very old, but very entertaining.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
i'll make sure to check it out thanks!

MrQuan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2008, 03:47:14 am
  • Well, at least you threw a punch...
    • Tilt Arcade - Check it out!
Your cab is looking very nice!  I don't usually like woodgrain cabs with a few exceptions, yours being one of them (lowboys are another ;D).  Nice documentation.  You're motivating me to finish my own upright mame cab :cheers:

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
You know, I am not 100% sure I'll keep the wood grain... I know that "covering" that nice Birch wood is heresy to some, but now I am almost certain I'll prime that baby and give it the paint look with several colors

Either a nintendo-themed decoration, or a mix of various arcade favorites of mine ... Something with stripes and stuff :)

I am not touching any paint/prime/brushes/stickers until I am SURE of what I want to do with it look-wise

SO right now I am planning things on the computer... I will post concepts as I get something decent together. I don't want to rush this...

Oh BTW quick update:

on the whole casters/feet thing ... I got 4 casters (2 fixed + 2 swivels w/ locks). They are 3" in height. That'll make my CP the perfect height (35" + 3" = 38" :) ) and will make it easy to move around. The 2 locked casters should stop the cab from moving, and the plywood will be protected.

There is going to be 6 casters on my cab (!) ... those 4 I described above + 2 BEHIND

the casters behind are fixed (also 3") and will be perfect to drag the cab around by tilting it backward gently. I really want to make my cab ready for moving around the house / rooms if necessary. Each of these casters are rated to sustain 175 pounds. Price-wise it was around $5 each.

On my way to model all this in 3D :D (it helped a TON with the cutting / measurements... again no bad cut / error to report so far and this is my 1st cab).

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:31:13 am by ARTIFACT »

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
ahah ... modeled the FIXED CASTER :)

that was a fun shape to model.

... and the swivel caster

also fun to model - not as "accurate" as the fixed caster (some funky metal curves on this one!), but measurements are still all exact

Why am I modeling these things like that? ... because I love to plan in advance... see how it will look at certain angles (rotating around the CAD scene), how all the elements will connect. To me this was VITAL in the way the base cabinet was built.

Next I placed these casters on the cabinet in the CAD scene and find the best placements..

(overview)

Below: simulating "human vision" (angle / height of average person walking by + using the cabinet):

(below: I placed the casters to avoid any contact with the floor when tilting the cabinet back ... see the flat angle between under & back casters is away from the plywood)

... Next? ... Put the casters on the cabinet "for real" :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:37:23 am by ARTIFACT »

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
one more model for the road... :)

CHERRY PUSHBUTTON MICROSWITCH!

This one is going to be handy when I plan my CP in details.

AcidArmitage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2015, 02:19:05 am
  • keeeyaaaii
you've got some serious "planning ahead" skills

MaMeNnO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2021, 10:06:42 am
Now that's planning! Looks pretty good.

I think you forgot to model the screws... :laugh2:

MrQuan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2008, 03:47:14 am
  • Well, at least you threw a punch...
    • Tilt Arcade - Check it out!
I put castors on the back like you, makes moving it a bit easier but it's still heavy as all hell.  On the base I have these teflon carpet saver disc thingies :)

Anyways, nice planning.  Looks like an Ikea ad ;D

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
hahaha :-)

yes i love doing this stuff...

i designed the cab so the TV (and computer + back panel) can be removed before moving it - makes it quite light because of t

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Next model I made:

Happ Pushbutton
(+ my cherry microswitch)

This will be great to have when planning my CP in details... I can see EXACTLY where the buttons will sit inside the box... where the connectors stick out, etc.

6 buttons configuration ... rotated to allow cherries to have space:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:53:00 am by ARTIFACT »

mcfreak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 01:55:04 pm
  • Asteroids moving along...
    • Hobby Blog
Man, those models would be great examples for the wiki...  What the hell is a "Cherry Microswitch"??  Well, here is a model.  ;) :notworthy:

theCoder

• Offline Offline
For the casters on the back side, I'd recommend cutting off the metal on the bottom side.  You can then mount the wheel closer to the ground.  This will get the weight on the wheels earlier, and allow you to position it so ALL of the weight is on the wheels instead of your forearms when you move it.  In the picture below, the casters are not yet mounted, but you see the metal removed on one side. 

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Man, those models would be great examples for the wiki...  What the hell is a "Cherry Microswitch"??  Well, here is a model.  ;) :notworthy:

Good idea :)

theCoder: Interesting! How do you mount the casters behind if the metal plate is cut, where the screw holes are located? I see that 2 of the 4 screw holes are still present, but I wounldn't trust the original weight rating of the casters with only half the screws present. Are you going to drill 2 additional holes by removing the wheel to give you acess under it?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:17:42 pm by ARTIFACT »

Loki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2012, 08:00:32 am
    • Deathnote
Looks awesome :)
I also love your sketchup models... wish I was that good :(
Don't eat yellow snow.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Update!

I got a complete coin door for from a friend!

The details about it:

. It is a Canadian coin door ($1 and $2 coins)
. It comes with a set of spare pieces for a US coin door (door plate + coin mechs + buttons)

... I am going to have to figure out how to "combine" these - see if the screws line up (my friend mentioned that the Canadian door may not be standard, not 100% sure) in order to get a fully working US coin door.

Otherwise I'll get a bunch of canadian coins :) ... and just use those with my cab...

I'll model THAT next I guess ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 06:31:58 pm by ARTIFACT »

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Nice cabinet Artifact! I really like the design.

You should upload the models of the buttons and switches to the Sketchup 3D Warehouse. I imagine a lot of us here could put them to good use.  :cheers:

theCoder

• Offline Offline
How do you mount the casters behind if the metal plate is cut, where the screw holes are located? I see that 2 of the 4 screw holes are still present, but I wounldn't trust the original weight rating of the casters with only half the screws present. Are you going to drill 2 additional holes by removing the wheel to give you acess under it?  Thanks!
I drilled one additional hole in the center on the side that was cut off.  I used the largest diameter lag bolts I could get through the holes.  I think they were 3/8" diameter if memory serves me.  The wood behind it was thick, around 2".  They could handle a drop from the back of a truck.  No worries about the strength.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
I drilled one additional hole in the center on the side that was cut off.  I used the largest diameter lag bolts I could get through the holes.  I think they were 3/8" diameter if memory serves me.  The wood behind it was thick, around 2".  They could handle a drop from the back of a truck.  No worries about the strength.

Great, thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind. I am not sure how to cut the side of the caster though - that's some tough metal!! Just a hand metal hack-saw?

UPDATE - Good news about the coin door + parts my friend gave me :applaud:
I removed the canadian coin door out of the frame/box
I mounted the US coin door (spare part my friend gave me) to the canadian frame/box - it fit fine!
I assembled the 2 coin mechs my friend gave me into the US coin door

The coin mechs "kind of work" - your input / advice is welcome here:
. one of the mechs always get the coin stuck in the beginning of the loop
. one of the mechs gets the coin stuch half of the time (and drops the coin successfully otherwise)
DO I NEED TO TAKE APART THE MECHS AND "CLEAN" THEM? OIL THEM? ANY ADVICE? I DONT WANT TO LOOSE A PIECE/SPRING IN THE PROCESS

Issue with space + the coin box:
I didn't realize how tall the coin door assembly is... and how deep the coin box is... my wood frame (2x4 studs) is in the way horizontally toward the bottom of my cab. In order to make it work, I will have to make a new box that is not as tall... Probably out of plywood (easy).

And of course, some pictures :)

US Coin Mechs (need some cleaning to improve?) ... one of them has a date "inspected March 17th 1989" ;D

Canadian Door Frame/Box + US Coin Door + US Coin mechs 

Since I am taking apart my cabinet to get ready for painting / slot cutting / etc ... here is a picture of my make-shift Bezel (foam core sheets) I owe you guys.
It's not "perfect" but looks fine especially with the gray smoked plexi-glass.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:32:55 am by ARTIFACT »

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
Since I am taking apart my cabinet to get ready for painting / slot cutting / etc ... here is a picture of my make-shift Bezel (foam core sheets) I owe you guys.
It's not "perfect" but looks fine especially with the gray smoked plexi-glass.

I love that foam idea!!!
I'm gonne use it in my cab!!! 

Jay:cheers:

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
:) let me warn you about a few things I found out:

. The only problem is that the TV is *huge* (27" Sony Trinitron)
. so I needed 2 foam core sheets to cover it (well most of it got covered with 1, but 3 inches at the top required a strip from a second sheet)
. foam core sheets do NOT "bend" ... older Sony Trinitron TVs are "curved" horizontally
. to mount the foam core sheets on the TV front, I used velcro strips
. velcro strips are "OKAY" ... the adhesive is not that strong, and the bezel pulls away from the TV :(
. I plan to use thin, long strips of plywood on the sides, perhaps velcro THOSE to the inside of the cab (not sure yet) instead of using velcro on the bezel <> TV itself

If I were to redo the bezel (and I may), I would use PLASTIC SHEETS ... Not sure the name, but I saw them for $4 at the plastic store where I got my plexiglass from... It was a couple of days AFTER I had done the foam-core bezel... Advantages: they bend fine (won't "snap" away from the TV), and they are BIG (1 sheet would cover the TV), they look like corners could be "shaped" by forcing (like cardboard/paper)

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms

Don't know what I like more, that cabinet or the cool renderings. ;D Love the shape!

Wish I could whip up sketches like that. Tried that program once and it wasn't coming to me as quickly as I'd hoped.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Knievel, just so you know you are the hero of a whole generation (or two)! Your projects are very inspiring and I love how you finish your cabinet looks.

Thank you for dropping by my project thread and checking out my design + progress.

Some sketchup tips:
. USE GROUPS! Without grouping, you'll always destroy your shapes by mistake. Even 1 shape should be grouped to "solidify" it
. USE COMPONENTS! Built something you want to reuse (button, etc)? Right click > Make component
. TYPE MEASUREMENTS IN EVERY TIME YOU DO SOMETHING ... drew a plywood base square? Type "8', 4'" (ENTER) and it will resize to that measurement... Extruded the width of the plywood base? Type "3/4" (ENTER) and it will be exactly 3/4" extruded

I hope this helps :)

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
Wow man. That cabinet looks amazing.

Since 3rd Strike is compatible with Mame now...I think I may convert my arcade console into a full cabinet again. muharharhar!

Do you think I could maybe snag a copy of your building plans from you? If not thats cool. I just really like the layout and the size of it is just right. Not too big. Not too small.

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
Hi there,

Feel free to use the images I posted in the original post (not super complete, but you can see the inside frame and overall structure). I am still tweaking the model and plans (will shave off 3" in the back - will make it flat, etc) so I'd like to wait a bit before posting more details about the plans.

I'm glad you like it! I hope to make it look great artwork-wise... I am 99% sure I'll cover that wood with paint (I know, I know...)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:40:24 pm by ARTIFACT »

Gatsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
cool thanky. I'll make sure once I get it started you get credit for the plans and design.  :cheers:

Knievel

• Offline Offline
    • Knievel Kustoms

Hey thanks, and thanks for the Sketchup tips.

Just taking a better look at your pictures and it looks like you secured your sides by driving screws though them. In this case I think you would be better off going with your new plan of painting the cabinet. Getting wood filler to stain the same color as your wood is tricky business.

If you were to stain it I would go with an opaque stain which hides most of the grain and imperfections.  ;)

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
I was planning to be "ok" with having visible screw locations - small circles of "filler" - even with a different shade (to me it's ok)
but yes I think I'll paint instead. It seems more and more "authentic" to go this way visually anyway.

Please read my questions above and let me know if you have input for me (coin mechs)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 11:25:13 pm by ARTIFACT »

Knievel

• Offline Offline
    • Knievel Kustoms

Sorry, I don't know much about coin mechs. Only used a coin door a few times and they were already functional.

I can set you up with some Canadian coins if you want. :)

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
nonono I got that figured out... The spare parts my friend gave me with the canadian door were US-based and I combined them all to have a 100% US quarters coin door.

My coin mech issue is that coins sometime get stuck, and one of them either get coins stuck or drops it in the coin return.
I believe it is because these are old mechs and they need some cleaning - that's the part I need input on :)

Beside its ok if you don't know :) ... I am asking everyone on BYOAC

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Just taking a better look at your pictures and it looks like you secured your sides by driving screws though them. In this case I think you would be better off going with your new plan of painting the cabinet. Getting wood filler to stain the same color as your wood is tricky business.

If you were to stain it I would go with an opaque stain which hides most of the grain and imperfections.  ;)

You can get a special Filler Gel that you mix with very fine wood/sawdust, which keeps the colour close to that of the wood, and is stainable... I have the URL of somewhere in the UK that sells this product (they can probably ship abroad).  Let me know if you want it :)

Jimbo

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
nonono I got that figured out... The spare parts my friend gave me with the canadian door were US-based and I combined them all to have a 100% US quarters coin door.

My coin mech issue is that coins sometime get stuck, and one of them either get coins stuck or drops it in the coin return.
I believe it is because these are old mechs and they need some cleaning - that's the part I need input on :)

Beside its ok if you don't know :) ... I am asking everyone on BYOAC

Have you tried giving them a WD40 bath.  When I got my coin door, the mechs looked much worse than yours and the didn't really work.  Looked at it a little bit and realized some metal was getting in the way.  Grabbed some pliers and bent it out of the way.  I don't really know what it was there for cause they work great now.

Basically you will just have to follow the coins with your eyes looking for the obstructions.  WD40 should help loosening up any dirt in there.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm

Don't know what I like more, that cabinet or the cool renderings. ;D Love the shape!

Wish I could whip up sketches like that. Tried that program once and it wasn't coming to me as quickly as I'd hoped.

Knievel, just keep away from the sketchup program.  You already make the rest of us look like 4 year olds trying to build cabs.  If you made yours better it would just make the rest of us even more depressed.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
thx for all the great input guys

wd40 it is then!