Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: One man's trash is another man's treasure!  (Read 3006 times)

Shanefrom302

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2017, 12:55:16 am
One man's trash is another man's treasure!
« on: May 10, 2016, 08:35:47 pm »
So not too long ago I picked up a free Olympia VEGA cabinet from Malenko that was days away from getting smashed to pieces! I had no clue what I was going to do with it but at the price of free ninety-nine I couldn't pass it up lol. My son has been wanting to build a custom cabinet for mugen & mame and I thought maybe I can use it for that but after bringing it home it's just a bit too small for a 2 player cab.

My next thought was too just restore it as an Arkanoid game with just a spinner and a couple of buttons but as I started to remove the control panel overlay I saw the control panel has been hacked up. I decided take advantage of the extra holes and include a joystick making it more of a multicade.

I was curious to see what the original cabinet side art looked like so I decided to remove the Romstar sideart and paint. Since I was no longer going to just make it an arkanoid cabinet I figured lets see whats behind that grey paint. This was my first time with citristrip and was a learning experience! It was neat to see the original artwork hiding under all that old paint! It didn't come off perfect but my family and I all agree we like the way it looks alot more than with a plain side. Until I get custom side art, this will do just fine!

I am using a raspberry pi 1 model b+ and an old apple lcd I had collecting dust and a set of old 2.1 computer speakers for sound. I replaced the marquee lighting fixture with one of those $8 walmart fixtures and ordered all my buttons, joystick and spinner from GroovyGameGear. I also covered the control panel with just a plain black overlay I got over ebay. Later I plan to design custom artwork (cpo, marquee and side art) but the black will do for now!

I currently have the joystick and buttons connected via the rpi's gpio and have been struggling to get the usb turbo twist 2 spinner to work with retropie. I had to order a hdmi to vga converter for the monitor so I should have it installed in the cabinet in a matter of days. I should also mention the marquee in the photos was just something random I found while searching for something to fill the empty space. I want to give a big thanks to Malenko for letting me have the cabinet for free and being so friendly and helpful! Thanks man!!My son wasn't too excited at first because it wasn't what he had in mind but after he has seen it transformed now he can't wait to play on it lol

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:56:29 pm by Shanefrom302 »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: One man's trash is another man's treasure!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:15:21 pm »
Looks good! Can't wait to see the final project
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.