Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ArcadeVGA + Linux + Wah!Cade. Help please!  (Read 8800 times)

deadsoulz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2023, 02:24:28 pm
ArcadeVGA + Linux + Wah!Cade. Help please!
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:23:19 pm »
Has anyone setup an ArcadeVGA using Linux (I am using Fedora 7).  I really want to use Linux + Wah!cade + SDLMAME 1.17  on my arcade cabinet, but I can never seem to get x working with the arcadevga.  I get black screens when trying to boot X.    If anyone has any experience in this, or know of a good walkthrough, I would appreciate it.
I have another arcade cabinet running Windows XP and I want to get away from it.

Thankyou in Advance,

--DS
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 06:33:22 pm by deadsoulz »

buks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm
  • Squash the Sno-Bees !
    • Arcade Machine Construction
Re: ArcadeVGA + Linux + Wah!Cade. Help please!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:19:41 am »
deadsoulz,

Apolgies first as I aint got an ArcadeVGA card so this wont be a quick solution.

What kind of screen you outputting to ? I assume arcade monitor but its worth checking.

When you say the screen is black - is it black all the time or do you see the grub message and the ubuntu loading screens ?

Can you CTRL-ALT-F1 to bring up the command line login ?

Finally, can you network onto the machine from your windows PC ? Always useful as you can edit configs over the network or even VNC into X to see if it works on a normal screen.

I've got an ATI graphics card working on ubuntu with a RGB-SCART cable. It took me a loooong time to get the X config working. I started with the Powerstrip software in windows (oh, its a dual boot PC) and used the settings from that as a starter. I knew it worked under windows so I assumed it would work under linux too  - which it did after messing about for MONTHS !!!!

Best of luck !

Buks

deadsoulz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2023, 02:24:28 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:26:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  Yes I see Grub Messages, even did the entire install from dvd, and graphical install worked fine.  Its only when at the console and I run the x setup or type startx I get the blank screen no lockup.   It happends on my Wells Garnder 9200 33" Arcade Monitor, as well when I have the machine hooked up to an 19" LCD.  I don't currently have windows on the box, but may install it to troubleshoot.

Circo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 03:27:51 am
  • Still using screenshots? Try EmuMovies instead.
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 11:35:56 pm »
I do not recall ever seeing arcadevga drivers for linux, you may want to ask andy over at ultimarc.
My Websites

buks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm
  • Squash the Sno-Bees !
    • Arcade Machine Construction
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »
good point - although the arcadevga is a modified ati card (I think) so in theory it should work. Andy is the best bet as Circo said.

Buks

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 01:49:04 pm »
I'm not sure if you really need an arcadevga card at all

lots of people have had a lot of luck just using a normal video card and modifying the text file for available resolutions to only handle the ones your arcade monitor can handle.

Circo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 03:27:51 am
  • Still using screenshots? Try EmuMovies instead.
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 09:15:18 pm »
good point - although the arcadevga is a modified ati card (I think) so in theory it should work. Andy is the best bet as Circo said.

Buks

I had an xp build once that had all the drivers already loaded and it will not work correctly unless ultimarc's drivers are installed.
My Websites