Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gear shift in MAME ?  (Read 4009 times)

slider2732

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2010, 06:56:26 pm
    • MND Coin-Op
Gear shift in MAME ?
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:22:28 am »
Does anyone know how to make a driving games gear shift run in MAME ?
I can't seem to find relevant info anywhere.
Basic problem is the microswitch basis...at the moment it needs an up then a down movement to change a gear, rather than up for Low, down for High.

Angry_Radish

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2020, 06:36:17 pm
Re: Gear shift in MAME ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:46:22 am »
It really depends on the game... I wish they would have some sort of global option to alter it, but for now you have to tweak each driver.
I ended up recompiling the poleposition driver as per this thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=66254.msg671758#msg671758
Works great now, just a shame that the shifter functions arent done properly.
It's set up for people to play on keyboards, not the actual arcade controls. I could go on some sort of rant about the mame devs and their stated goals vs what actually comes out, but it's been done before  ;D

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:51:16 am »
It's set up for people to play on keyboards, not the actual arcade controls. I could go on some sort of rant about the mame devs and their stated goals vs what actually comes out, but it's been done before  ;D

Makes me wonder why there hasn't been a fork yet.

slider2732

• Offline Offline
    • MND Coin-Op
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:55:13 am »
I'll have a look at that.
From one article I read it does seem that games don't have a 'general' method of incorporating shifting. There are of course different methods of shifting that manufacturers built anyway.

What needs to happen is: no input = gear is low, an input = gear is high. Is that so difficult ? Wish I knew some C, but BASIC and COBOL are my only languages (even English can be a struggle on a Friday night).

Experiments today will probably include wiring the 3rd terminal on the microswitch and running it to 2 keyboard hack inputs. That way, it's low gear in one state and high gear when the switched is pressed. Can't see it working, but will give it a go.
As things are, it's like double clutching on an old car lol

Angry_Radish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:14:53 am »
Hehe, exactly like double clutching :-)
I wouldn't bother with the 3rd terminal thing, I even suggested it in that thread I referenced, but then I tried it  :banghead:
It needs a toggle to shift the way it is... you could try using a cap to maybe debounce it, but even then I don't know if it would work.

You are right, there are tons of variables when it comes to shifters and driving controls, though  it would be nice to have the option per rom to set the type of controls.
Ah well, just makes some of my dedicated cabinets that much more fun  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:16:30 am by Angry_Radish »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 11:18:02 am »
A lot of games figure out what gear the shifter is in by what switch is *not* pressed.  IE  three out of the four switches are on at all times, the one that's not is the gear it's in.

ArtMAME

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2020, 12:59:17 pm
  • Hey where the ARCADE MACHINES at???
    • Art's Arcade Lab
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 11:39:47 am »
I am trying to get my Pole Position shifter to work.  I think I will try the recompile.  I was just double shifting and happy with it... but my wife wants the arcade accurate controls, including the analog pedal...

So I will start experimenting with this soon. 
"Klaatu. .. Verada. ...... Necktie...Nectar...Nickel..."

Angry_Radish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 12:21:10 pm »
but my wife wants the arcade accurate controls, including the analog pedal...

Quickest way would be to use an apac, at least that's what I did..
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=65925.0

slider2732

• Offline Offline
    • MND Coin-Op
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 12:45:13 pm »
I'd like one, but don't have the capital right now...if the APAC is a solution and trusted one, i'll save up or sell something.
My main thing is about a backup for the Top Speed mainboard...yes, I know, how often do you hear that lol but true in this case. But also I wish to aquire more genuine boards, driving games now feature. Throwing the lot in the cab is the intention.
No ability to shift properly is a headache.

Also....here's odd. Pole Position II shifts in the double clutch way, but Top Speed does it's own thing, needing an up down which gives Low gear and then a quick up down gives full speed in high gear almost instantly. Wacky.
The double clutch doesn't work in Outrun or Wec Le Mans.