Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trouble placing my trackball buttons  (Read 3355 times)

zaphod

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2012, 11:11:38 am
    • ArcadeCab.com
Trouble placing my trackball buttons
« on: April 22, 2003, 09:00:27 pm »
I am having trouble placing my trackball buttons where they would be easy to use but out of the way during game play.  I've included a pic of the first prototype panel I'm reworking.  This is close to the shape I want it, except for I will have a curved front rather than edged.  

After placing the trackball buttons, I realized that they are actually too far forward.  They would be into the front panel of the base (the front edge of which is shown by the blueish straight line).  I've toyed with moving them upwards a bit, but that interferes with P-2's joystick.  I am a big Robotron fan and the buttons would be under the heel of my right hand.  I like how much free area I have around each control.

Any ideas on where I could place them that would be out of the way or is there a way I could remap them to another duo/trio of buttons?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2003, 09:02:18 pm by zaphod »

Magnet_Eye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
Re:Trouble placing my trackball buttons
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 09:08:32 pm »
Do you really need trackball buttons? why not use the buttons on your player one or player two layout for gameplay?

I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

zaphod

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeCab.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 09:11:12 pm »
Not for game play, I wouldn't.  I would only need them for navigating (easily) through Windows.  If there is another way of doing that, I'd be happy to leave off those extra buttons.

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 11:30:59 pm »
Not for game play, I wouldn't.  I would only need them for navigating (easily) through Windows.  If there is another way of doing that, I'd be happy to leave off those extra buttons.
Why not for game play? Make player two's 4,5,6 buttons the mouse buttons. It's a waste of buttons and space to do anything else. You could do a switch or a relay but why bother when using the button as is works fine.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

zaphod

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeCab.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 07:23:22 am »
Thanks for the input.  I'll take your suggestion and just use the bottom row from player two.  I was planning to do that for gameplay but didn't know if that'd also work for when I was navigating Windows.  

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 07:52:20 am »
I only used two of my trackballs three buttons, but I used mine for player 1 start and player 2 start. Because those buttons are seldom used, I figured they were a great choice, since a lot of emulators won't let you map mouse clicks to controls (console ones).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 12:47:17 pm »
also you probably thought of this, but you don't have to use the regular giant pushbuttons as mouse buttons - get some small momentary contact black buttons from radiocrap and stick those up in the corners - or lower corners.   They carry all black ones - tiny little things compared to happ buttons.
If you only use them occasionally these are a good alternative - plus they have a low profile.  It's an idea.

wouldn't using other buttons for the mouse button cause a little havok in mame? like if you press button 4 in a game but it's also left mouse button...etc...

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 01:02:47 pm »
What are the two black buttons directly above the trackball?  You could put the mouse buttons there quite easily.  Then just map them in Mame to P1B1 and P1B2 and they'll be convenient for use with the 4-way joystick also.  This is the setup i use and it works out quite well.

zaphod

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeCab.com
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 01:25:05 pm »
What are the two black buttons directly above the trackball?  You could put the mouse buttons there quite easily.  Then just map them in Mame to P1B1 and P1B2 and they'll be convenient for use with the 4-way joystick also.  This is the setup i use and it works out quite well.

You are correct about the buttons- they are for use with the 4-way joystick to their left.  I looked at your site and think I understand what you are saying.  Thanks.