Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Measuring help needed  (Read 11266 times)

2panther

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2014, 04:02:12 pm
Measuring help needed
« on: February 15, 2009, 05:07:40 pm »
I finally picked up 4 sheets of 4'x8' MDF for this project, I picked up an extra sheet in case I messed up. I started drawing out cabinet side 1 according to the book dimensions and boy am I confused.  :banghead:

I measured the real dimensions of the MDF and they are 49"x97"

According to the book dimensions cabinet side 1's back side length is 74" long, the way I read it is it's 74" long until it angles towards the very top of the cabinet.

The monitor shelf that is cut from the same piece of MDF is 22"x26" so according to my math 22+74=96 BUT according to the dimensions in the book, between the monitor shelf and the back side angle there is 16 squares or 16 inches in between, that's impossible if the back side is 74" long since 74" + 16" = 90"  that plus the 22" for the monitor shelf puts me at 112"

What am I not understanding??!?!?  This is probably something super simple but I've never worked with wood or anything like this before this project so go easy.

I'm talking about the area where the red line is, hope that makes it more clear. I guess I don't know at what measurement the angle starts...

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:09:15 pm by 2panther »

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
Re: Measuring help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 05:24:07 pm »
Each square is 1" - the bottom of the cabinet to the complete top is 74", which includes the space of the angled section. The bottom of the cabinet to the start of the angle is 58". From the start of the angle to the top of the cabinet is 16" ... So, along the red line it's 58" (straight back of the cabinet) + 16" (the point from the beginning of the angled back piece to the top, measured along your red line) + 22" (the monitor shelf) = 96", or the entire length of the sheet of 4' x 8' wood :)
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »
By the way, apologies for the confusion. You're actually the second person I've heard of having that question in the 4 years or so the book's been out, both in the last few weeks, but I'm told others have had the same as well. If I ever get to do an updated version I'll be sure to clarify that.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

2panther

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2014, 04:02:12 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 06:55:24 pm »
No apology needed!

I would say that in four years I'm the second person to have that question that's a pretty good record!

I'm no craftsman by any means so I'm standing there in my garage staring at this sheet of wood scratching my head and thinking to myself am I really having this hard of a time figuring this out?

This is why I work as a systems administrator and not a carpenter!  ;D

I have read through your book about a hundred times and I'm so psyched to have found it and this forum, thanks for the quick reply!  Once I get everything cut out I'll start a Project Announcement thread.

The_Tyler_Black

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2010, 03:01:13 pm
  • Mario on shrooms!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:31:10 am »
Remember that when cutting the top of the cab where it butts the monitor shelf that your saw blade (circular or table) is 1/8th of an inch. I say this because you will be only cutting the monitor shelf out of the one piece, that space on the other piece is just scrap, that 1/8th of an inch can be a jerk for being so small!