Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "For Sale" is not the same as "For Auction....  (Read 1832 times)

MrArcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 03:45:28 pm
  • I wish I had time to play these games !!!
"For Sale" is not the same as "For Auction....
« on: April 22, 2003, 12:08:16 pm »
I am getting tired of seeing  posts that something is for sale, only to find it is on ebay.  If you have something for auction then post it as such.

I think posts that misrepresent like that should be deleted...and if the offender keeps it up, then ban them.

Just my $.02
Oh, the memories of living on pizza subs and Dr Pepper...

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:"For Sale" is not the same as "For Auction....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 12:14:14 pm »
I am getting tired of seeing  posts that something is for sale, only to find it is on ebay.  If you have something for auction then post it as such.

I think posts that misrepresent like that should be deleted...and if the offender keeps it up, then ban them.

Just my $.02

here Here!  I second that.  I thought the exact same thing, but I've already used up all my curmudgen points for this month =P

It's misleading and crappy... it's ok to announce "$5 dollar starting bid no reserve"  but you are right on... an auction currently at x dollars is not the same as "for sale at" x dollars

Rampy

MameFan

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 02:36:42 pm »
And this should NOT be the place to "advertize" everything you've got on eBay.   Like the newsgroups, you should only post something that truely is unique (read: NOT 'rare') or of use to more than just a handful of people with specialized interests).

Those of us who are looking for something have created good searches on eBay and find what we need when we need it ourselves.

Actually I think you should not be permitted to link to your own auctions, only post links to others if you find something you feel is worthy of telling the community.

Boy, if I had linked EVERY auction I listed for arcade stuff last winter, I would have over 50 separate posts for all the junk.

But at the very least.. Please put "FA:" in the title.

Smittydc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2008, 12:48:10 am
  • because its fun!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 02:40:22 pm »
I don't mind it when people post their arcade auctions.  Clear labeling is helpful, of course.
Build a man a fire, he's warm for a night.  Set a man on fire, he's warm the rest of his life.

hevnsnt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2018, 10:26:57 am
  • Someone set us up the bomb!
    • I-hacked.com Taking Advantage of technology
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 03:09:20 pm »
LOL.. I never knew what FA meant.. now I know.  ;D

shawnzilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2022, 12:01:55 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 03:50:45 pm »
Please allow me to apologize for my "for sale" posting. It was not my intent to mislead ppl into reading my post. This is the first time I have ever posted an auction in the buy/sell/trade forum, and I apologize for my lack of proper posting ettiquette.

anthony691

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2016, 03:10:23 pm
    • Lightgun.tk
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 10:40:12 pm »
Please allow me to apologize for my "for sale" posting. It was not my intent to mislead ppl into reading my post. This is the first time I have ever posted an auction in the buy/sell/trade forum, and I apologize for my lack of proper posting ettiquette.

Apology excepted here   :)
Visit my MAME lightgun site:
http://www.lightgun.tk

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 10:43:09 pm »

Apology excepted here   :)

It's accepted here =P

no prob, man... rock on!  It was one to grow on.

Rampy

Nostrildomus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2010, 02:35:34 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 12:49:06 am »
"For sale" is a far cry from "For Auction". One is a set price & one is up for high bidder. This is not a difficult concept to grasp. Have a great day:)

KW

David King

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2003, 08:36:46 am
  • Ohio-UFO capital of the world
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2003, 09:12:52 am »

Just my $.02

This is the for sale forum, so what are you selling?

This topic is better suited for the "Board/Website discussion " forum where the correct action may be taken (like including it in the rules that are sticky at the top). You already chewed out the person in his own thread, it wasn't really needed to start this one, not here at least. It was afterall both mislabeled AND useless threads that has made fatwallet and a few other deal forums a crappy place to visit.

Having said that , I do agree with the point you are attemping to make. It would be a nice addition to the "Forum rules - read before you post" thread, or as I like to call it, "Rules for SNAAAKE"  ;D