Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hardware V's Software  (Read 3568 times)

cynicmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2008, 11:36:21 pm
  • All's well that ends...
Hardware V's Software
« on: June 28, 2007, 09:54:34 am »
Hi All  :),

I am struggling to understand something:

I am currently running WinCab on an older system ((dedicated) 400mHz),  AT/AT compatible with the current display set at 800 x 600 (lol..my first pc,  resurrected... :cheers:).

I have added a sound card but cannot confirm the graphics (I think it is 32M on-board, but could be wrong, might be 16, or less..).

I am running W2K Pro and have adjusted the Allegro files as instructed.

My problem is this:

When I run the program, I am finding that at times the song tracks will jump (i.e. go into the song listed above/below it, but I think this is caused by damaged disc's during rip), pause and replay the last line, or give high-pitched feedback when a page is turned. It doesn't happen all the time (pause between page turns - all OK - maybe 1 in 6 times...?).
I have read that this sort of thing might be a buffer issue...*Pauline Hanson - 'Please explain'* (Aussies will understand...lol).

So, is this a hardware or software issue? Do I need to increase the processor speed ?...do I need to expand the graphics to take some of the pressure off the processor...or is it simply a file issue?

Sound isn't my problem.

I have dropped my graphics back to the minimum, thinking that it might be the problem, but to no avail. I have no problems running this at work (faster pc's, XP...?).

I am no expert, so any advice would be welcome...please help... If more info is required, please ask...

p.s. can you tell I like a beer or six...?  ;D
Regards,

Monster :)

Tell a person there are 100 billion stars in the galaxy & they will believe you, tell them the paint's wet on a bench & they will touch to make sure...

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Hardware V's Software
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:58:41 am »
The page turn issue is usually caused by having cover images that are too large.  WinCab has to load them on the fly and scale them to fit.  On an older system, the buffer can run out before this is complete.  If your cover image files are larger than 30-40k on a 400MHz, you may want to try reducing them in size.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

cynicmonster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 01:44:41 pm »
Thanks Chris,

As far as I can tell, the software I am using doesn't give me the graphics (album art)...perhaps a trial thing...(the option is there, but it is not being picked up at the moment)

Is my system too slow...?

I guess I am trying to work out whether it is graphics or sound related...I'm leaning  towards graphics.

I am running the numeric skin
Regards,

Tell a person there are 100 billion stars in the galaxy & they will believe you, tell them the paint's wet on a bench & they will touch to make sure...

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2010, 07:14:38 am
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 10:47:02 pm »
try changing "AnimationSpeed" in jukebox.ini to "0"

cynicmonster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 04:53:29 am »
Thanks Dibb1er  ;D,

Dropping the animation speed to 0 seems to have done the trick!

Thanks again  :cheers: ;D (my project continues...)
Regards,

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:06:27 am »
np, glad to help.   ;D

i had the same prob with my juke, and mine is a 1ghz celeron, so wasnt exactly sure if that would help or not with your 400mhz machine tho...

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 04:19:07 pm »
Thanks for the catch, dibb1er...

Animation gave you trouble at 1 GHz?  Yow... I need to look at that.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

dibb1er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 07:09:35 pm »
well, it was minimal, but noticable