Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NEW PICS! - Got a Nintendo cabinet this weekend. Now where do I go?  (Read 8695 times)

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
Well where do I start. A friend of mine was wanting to get some fireworks (Living in IL you know they sell nothing but sparklers here) so I told him I would ride along with him. I didnt want the trip to be a waste for me so I told him I would find someone down near St. Louis, MO that had a cab for sale and I would pick it up along the way. So I came across this old Nintendo cab listed on craigslist for 75 bucks. I called the guy offered him $50 (now after getting it I probably paid a bit too much for it haha oh well). We arrived there, I didnt even look it over really just loaded it up and took off.

So I get home and unload it and plug it in. I hear it fire up and the monitor glows from behind but the only thing displayed is a white screen. So I have no idea whats going on with it but thats where im at now.

I really want to convert this back to the original Donkey Kong cab it was to begin with.

I figure the TKG4 serial places it to be an original DK cab.

I dont know much about the guts of this machine but looks like they converted it to a Rastan Jamma Cab.

I really want to get into this guy and just strip it all down and repaint it back to original color (Anyone know which color to buy for an original Donkey Kong light blue cab?). I have never messed with an arcade monitor before but I know not to go touching anything close to the huge suction cup like thing on the back of the monitor.

I guess I need to find a good tutorial on how to discharge the monitor safely and then un-mount it from the cab so I can start gutting it. Are there any wires down below that hold a charge that I should be aware of if im going to start pulling what is in there?

Does it sound like a monitor issue if when its plugged in and turned on all that happens is I get a white screen? I dont think its the monitor issue since I get no sounds from the speaker which looks to be hooked up right.

I dont even know where to start here the inside of this thing is just a wire nightmare. Seriously what in the hell was the person thinking that wired this thing together. I really think this thing is just one big fire hazard the way it is now haha. Look at all the wire nuts in there this pic only displays half of them haha..

Its hard to tell anymore what is original or not in this cab..

I am guessing this is the video card its mounted below the monitor just sitting there on pcb feet im sure this is not in its original spot (that or the guy on the line was wasted when he mounted this thing).

Here are a few more random pictures.

Marquee wired with speaker wire haha nice..

So here I am asking for advice on where I should go with this. Where should I look for maybe a video on removing the monitor and dis-charging it (I heard it mentioned before but cannot find it for the life of me). I keep looking around on ebay in hopes to find a control panel pulled from a working cab along with a bezel and marquee. If anyone has anything they are wanting to get rid of PCB wire harness etc. Let me know.

Neil
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:20:02 pm by Neilyboy »

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
When a conversion looks like that it is probably better to start over.   Decide what you want to do and wire it up clean and new.   Do you want a restored DK and that is it or do you have other plans for the cab as well.   What you decide will determine what type of harness to wire and what to use in the cab.  The cab right now has the original DK PS and transformer at the botton.  The crooked PS is an add on and the monitor looks almost too clean to be original.  It does look like a DK monitor that has been mounted Horiz instead of Vert.

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:56:56 pm by BobA »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
I agree with BobA.

... oh ... almost forgot ... Restoration Page In The Wiki has some useful links.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
Well, my plan is to one day have a MAME machine (since I have about 500 dollars worth of parts that I purchased last year to build a cabinet with). I was lucky enough to aquire a Ms. Pac-Man cab about two months ago that I am in the process of restoring. I am working with another member on the board here in hopes that I will be able to make the trip out his way to pickup a cab that will be perfect to mame. So I guess I wouldnt mind having an original DK cab or DK jr or 3. I dont really care but Wouldnt mind keeping it original.

I know nothing about the insides of these things yet other than the typical stuff like it has a power supply powering the monitor and the pcb game itself. Other than that I have no idea how the video is run to the monitor. From the looks of this cab Im totally lost on that. I posted that pic above which I figure was some sort of video card but then again I have no idea.

I totally agree on starting fresh on this project and ripping everything out and starting new. So I am totally open to all suggestions and pointers. Like I have said a bunch before I have no idea where to really start on this one. I wouldnt mind this being my summer project so cleaning the cab up isnt a big deal sanding painting and such but the internal workings have me all confused haha.

Neil

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
On a Nintendo cab the monitor and light were run from the transformer at 100V.  The monitor is also inverted video.  It looks like the added card is not the one usually seen in a DK cab.  Since you are running a jamma board right now I assume that the card is inverting the video to make it the right way for the jamma card.  In other words Inv Video + Added Card = Regular video.  This is only a guess however and should be verified with closer pics of the card and monitor showing model numbers.

If your light is no longer plugged into the socket at the bottom of the cab it may have been changed over to a 115V unit as the 100V flourescent tubes were expensive.  The 100 V transformer also serves as an isolation transformer so do not plug your monitor directly into an AC outlet because it will blow.  You will have to trace the AC wiring for the monitor to see if it comes from the power plug at the botton and see if that plug is still fed by the transformer.

Just some into to start with.

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
here is a larger pic from above

http://neilyboy.mtco.com/pics/nintendocab/IMG_9144.JPG

dont know if it helps at all but there if needed.

Neil
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 03:21:36 pm by Neilyboy »

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
Here is a larger pic of that board in the middle of the cab..

http://neilyboy.mtco.com/pics/nintendocab/IMG_9148.JPG

so how easy is it going to be to convert this monitor back to original form with the wires as nasty as they are now..

Neil

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
would it be easier to just convert this to a jamma cabinet (basically buy new harness and new power supply or not since it may be original monitor which you say is inverted)

Neil

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
the 'video card' says Nintendo right on it, but the model number is covered by the cable.  Also we can't see any of the information on the stickers of the CRT tube.  Try and get some better pics tonight so the monitor experts can give you a hand.

TTFN
Kaytrim

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Judging by the installed controls (joystick/buttons) and horizontal monitor mount, this cab has been converted from DK to Super Mario Bros Vs. before it was converted to Rastan....http://klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=10371

If you want to convert back, you'll have to revert the monitor mounting to vertical and change the CP of course...

The bolts you see on the sides are indicating the horizontal monitor mounting set that was used for conversions (also for the Mario Bros. conversion). IF you ever remove this , let me know, I am looking for the mounts. I've got a Mario Bros cab that was half converted, but my monitor is still in vertical position..... !!!

For discharging the monitor, look in the monitor section and look in the FAQ there....it's all explained very clearly there.

That interface board may have been part of the Super Mario VS. conversion set. If you go back to DK, you'll have to remove it.

I definitely would go for a full restoration to DK if I were you :D.....

AlexC

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2012, 05:18:05 pm
  • "Beware, I live!"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 04:01:10 pm by AlexC »

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
Thanks for all the info guys. Yeah im at work right now and took those pics on lunch break this afternoon. So when I get home ill post some more pics hopefully you guys can get me on the right path.. Im just worried about that monitor since all those wires are out to lunch just wire nutted together and all.. but I assume they make a harness for that monitor that I will be able to just pull and install new.

I will post more pics when I get home this evening.

Neil

Disturbed013

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2007, 08:18:14 pm
  • Anybody can be a non-drunk.
PM sent with more information available.
Double Diamond  100%
Spy Hunter II  98%
Mame Cab ~65%

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Im just worried about that monitor since all those wires are out to lunch just wire nutted together and all.. but I assume they make a harness for that monitor that I will be able to just pull and install new.

The EZ-20 was the first monitor I ever worked on and, other than not figuring out how to get the chassis free, it was a delight to work on.

While you have it out, I would recommend a capkit, including the audio kit (both available from Bob Roberts or ArcadeShop and probably other vendors.). Unless, of course, you aren't going to use the EZ-20, in which case where are you located ?  ;)

Cheers

EDIT: for bad link-fu

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
thanks for all the help so far guys. I will get some better pics when I get home. I have given it some thought and would like to keep this thing original and return it to its DK greatness but we will see im low on funds and getting married in less than a month so I have to see what I can do

Neil

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
I have given it some thought and would like to keep this thing original and return it to its DK greatness but we will see im low on funds and getting married in less than a month so I have to see what I can do

You should wait to restore it after your married. Not only will your wife be supportive and allow you to spend all your free time working on such a "sensible" hobby, she'll probably chip in and help as well. She'll have no problems letting you spend as much money as needed on it and will reward you with her "wifely" duties.

[/sarcasm]

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
Search the site for "girlcab" if you want to MAME it.

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
hahahaha thanks lew.. and nah dont think im going to mame this one.. Ill get more pics tomorrow. im too tired tonight to head out to the garage haha..

Neil

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
hahahaha thanks lew.. and nah dont think im going to mame this one.. Ill get more pics tomorrow. im too tired tonight to head out to the garage haha..

Neil

cool. I just got a VS. Top Gun that I'm going to convert into a Donkey Kong. It'll be in Project Announcements soon.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Well you have less than a month to get this thing done is how I see it. Better get cracking! You ain't touching this thing once you are married (as it should be for at least a while  ;) ;D).

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
Ok so I got some time on lunch break to take some more pics to hopefully identify the monitor and see what I need to do to get this back and working as a DK cab.

Picture of the only sticker on the monitor.

Link to Large image (For Detail): http://neilyboy.mtco.com/pics/nintendocab/monitor_sticker_00.jpg

Picture of the monitor board.

Link to large image (For Detail):
http://neilyboy.mtco.com/pics/nintendocab/monitor_board_00.jpg

Close up.

http://neilyboy.mtco.com/pics/nintendocab/monitor_board_close_00.jpg

The nintendo video board in between jamma and monitor.

http://neilyboy.mtco.com/pics/nintendocab/nintendo_av01_board_00.jpg

Any ideas?

Neil

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
Re: NEW PICS! - Got a Nintendo cabinet this weekend. Now where do I go?
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 10:37:14 pm »
ok so that thing appears to be an inverter board like you guys mentioned before

http://www.quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/2413?m=3

I notice there is a spot on that board that says power in. looks like standard molex connection that a pc power supply would send to a cd/dvd drive. I wonder if thats the only problem if the power connection to that board fell out or something and thats why the screen is just White.. hmm ill have to look around the inside of the cab to see if i see it laying around in there..

Neil
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:41:39 pm by Neilyboy »

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 12:02:06 am »
Yes that little board, although not the common one, is a video inverter / sound amplifier.
I'm pretty sure that monitor is the Sanyo 20EZ. Which normally has a sound amplifier built onboard the chassis. So they probably didn't use that part of the little board. (hence no connections there) But it should have power going to it which normally would come from the monitor chassis itself. (not sure on that particular version though) Without the power supply going to it the inverter will not work for that setup.(JAMMA games etc)
The Nintendo games didn't actually need that at all.
You can verify the monitor type by looking at the top metal rail around the monitor and look for a stamping in it that will say something EZV something something. (see green arrows)

I have to ask.... but did you try to plug the JAMMA board itself back in?
I noticed you had the harness in your hand and another pic of it disconnected, but never saw a pic with it actually connected. (?)

They probably bypassed the original power supply for the pcb.
The monitor should be plugged into the white outlet in the bottom. (100V AC)

That JAMMA setup should be running off the power supply mounted to the side wall above the game pcb.
Have you checked for proper voltage on that power supply? (-5, +5, +12, etc)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:13:51 am by Kevin Mullins »
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2021, 05:02:15 pm
  • Scratch-built Guitar - Under Construction!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 02:32:40 am »
Personally, I'd try to get Rastan working before making any big plans. If you can get it to work, you'll have a much better idea of what works and doesn't in the cab. You can assume that it was working at one point as Rastan even with that hacked up wiring. It'll do several things...Mostly you can make sure that the monitor works. Secondly, you have a spare power supply and a "tested working" Rastan PCB that you can sell to help offset the costs of the restoration (at least a tiny bit). If nothing else it'll be a valuable lesson in troubleshooting that'll help you understand how all of this stuff is wired and works. Also--you can pick up some cheap JAMMA games to play while you gather DK parts.  :)

If you can get it to any type of working state, your fiancee will probably see it as less of a piece of junk and more as a full game with some potential.

You do have a multimeter right? Plug up the JAMMA harness to the PCB, plug it in and hit the switch. Check the voltages that are getting to the game PCB. It has to be tested with a load (connected to the PCB) or you'll get false readings. If you need to learn more about JAMMA read THIS. If the voltage isn't 5.05V you'll want to look for a knob on the power supply. This'll adjust the voltage. Also check the 12V pins.  If the voltage is at 5.05V and you still get no sound or video, you PROBABLY have something wrong with the Rastan PCB. To double-check the sound, make sure you add a few credits with the coin door and hit start as Rastan doesn't have demo sounds.
Brevity is not my strong suit.

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 07:22:33 am »
Thanks for all the input guys!!

Kevin.
Yeah I just unhooked it to take the picture and figured it was worth a shot just reseeding it.. As for power to that inverter board. You say it should come from the monitor itself and not from the power supply at the bottom. I will have to look cause there was no cable plugged into that inverter board other than the video cables at the bottom.

Crowquill.
Very cool info buddy. I do have a multimeter (Just got one actually) and I will try this out. I don't know alot about the multimeter but I will read up on it and do just what you are saying here. This is the type of info I was looking for. I love learning about this stuff but when your first starting out its somewhat overwhelming. So finding good info is great!

I am again at work now but will try this tonight when I'm done mowing the lawn..

Neil

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 08:03:08 am »
Since I am not at home I was just looking through some of the pictures and trying to find this one wire I remember just hanging there. I found it in this picture. I dont think this is the power for that inverter board but its dangling down from the monitor and was hanging there when I got it. It doest look like it would fit in the molex on the inverter board.

-Neil

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 09:26:31 am »
That dangling wire could be the original power wires. Don't try anything without knowing exactly what's what.

I agree completely with Crowquill. Try to diagnose it as is, with Rastan. White screen could simply be that the "Screen" brightness knob is turned up too high.

The switching power supply has a big brown stain on it. It might have blown. So then whoever had it before you, jacked up the screen brightness to try to get a picture, but with the supply blown, of course no video would be going to the monitor.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 09:45:03 am by RayB »
NO MORE!!

Neilyboy

• Offline Offline
  • what day is it...
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 09:57:33 am »
yeah im all about figuring out what is wrong with it.. I just hate looking at all those wire nuts.. looks like the guy bought the jamma harness then just cut all the old wire molex connections and then wire nutted them all to each place.. just a huge mess.. ill start off with checking voltage on the +5v pinout on the jamma board itself (does that sound right) and im looking for 5.05 if i get anything different i should ever so slightly twist a knob on that power supply till I hit 5.05 then power down and power back up..

if i get the proper voltage should i then locate the brightness knob on the monitor itself and try turning it down?

Neil