Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Cockpit......SHE LIVES !!!!!  (Read 155356 times)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Re: Star Wars Cockpit......SHE LIVES !!!!!
« Reply #600 on: October 12, 2010, 12:45:46 pm »
Received the holder and wire. I somehow had hoped the holder would contain at least some bolts but it doesn't. It's also the color like shown on the picture.

Of course it cannot stay that way, it wouldn't match the other original metal hardware:

The 60 cm. of wire is hopefully long enough to not have to make an extra connection.... but the connector is perfect.

Very neat to do it like this, nothing but the best for the lady !!! :)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #601 on: April 18, 2011, 05:24:31 pm »
Finally, it's spring time again, and temps are nice enough to go back to work ! ;)

Rivets. I hate them. They probably made sense to the manufacturers who made machines for arcades, but as a home collector, they are not our friends.

I needed/wanted to have my SW cockpit speaker grills powder coated so I had drilled out the rivets.

But now, how to install them back ?

I bought some of these (the one in the middle on top):

and these:

I chose metric sizes since I live in Europe and those are easier to handle for me.

Pics coming up...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:26:29 pm by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #602 on: April 18, 2011, 05:25:21 pm »
The key to success in using this solution is that _ANY_ metal rests of the former rivets MUST be removed. I drilled them out. IF YOU OWN A SW COCKPIT REMOVE THE MARQUEE BEFORE DOING THIS, ELSE YOU MAY DAMAGE IT WHEN DRILLING THE HOLES OF THE SEAT SPEAKERS !

Start, you can see some of the metal "leftovers":

Once drilled out/removed the metal, you simply screw in the "inserts" with a hex-tool. Be sure to buy the inserts types without the "edge" so you can screw them in far enough to make the "sink" under the surface a little bit, so that the grill will sit flush.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #603 on: April 18, 2011, 05:25:49 pm »
Be sure to screw in the inserts as STRAIGHT as possible so the bolts will go in straight too

Replace the grill and inserted the bolts:

Done:

One hole was a bit too big after I removed the metal (first try). So for this hole I took a plug instead. Make sure the "head" is sunk so the grill will wit flush. I was very lucky as the hole was "exactly" tight enough for the bolt.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #604 on: June 27, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »
Must be one of the longest running resto-threads now :)

But, it's finished ! (Well almost :))

1) Fixed a sound problem, turned out the old connectors didn't work well with the new JBL speakers (tried to bend them "in" a bit to make them grip tighter but the lips broke off....must be age. Decided to go for the robust way: soldered the wires to the speakers directly.
Great sound again !

2) Re-mount the coin-door and box. This was done by Etienne who helped me out. Not so easy as I had forgotten to put the bolts in the holes before powder-coating so it was very hard to turn them back in....thank Etienne :)

3) Fix the problem that the screen sometimes went blank. It seemed to be heat related as it only happened after the machine had been running for a while.
The LED on the deflection board was coming on intermittently at the times the picture went blank. Checked all parts for soldering. I did some firm pulling on the soldered wires and sure enough both the purple one's (supply) broke off, as did one more. Restripped an resoldered them.
After that it didn't seem to go black anymore. However, I had installed a fan by that time. First I put in a Papst that I had around. Was really silent, but it also produced only an average airflow. What did happen after playing some games was that I got horizontal deflection problems. It looked much different from a bad pot this time (which gives "hard" jaggies...) This time, there seemed to be an extra sine wave sometimes appearing on the horizontal deflection. As if something was oscillating.
All parts seemed to be soldered fine and I saw no obvious problems. I replaced the Papst with a Sunon fan that I also had. This sure prodcued a load more noise but it also put out a hefty airflow.

And this seemed to do the trick ! Played a number of games on it and it stayed very steady. And that with surrounding temps of +26 degr. C.

4) installed all the missing bolts and screws. Cleaned her again and until I replace the side-art with Rich's future repro's, I'm done with this machine.
The only other thing is the missing lower back door, but that will arrive sept. 3 :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #605 on: June 27, 2011, 03:28:54 pm »
 :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #606 on: June 27, 2011, 04:21:55 pm »
Hope to make some pics and video tomorrow.

DKJR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2012, 07:47:02 pm
« Reply #607 on: June 27, 2011, 11:04:10 pm »
for the fan you added what kind and where did you mount it? and what was its power source? Hooked it in the PS?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #608 on: June 28, 2011, 06:09:53 pm »
The fan is one of those big one's, I think 15 x 15 cm ?
I mounted it with the bracket (see further up the thread) under the HV board horizontally, so it's blowing over the HV board and then over the deflection board.
It's a 230VAC fan because I live in Europe. I tapped the power from the leads that run FROM the power switch to the rest of the cab. This way, the fan is behind the main fuse and the switch.

Whatever people say, only 115 and 230VAC volt fans can produce the required power for a good hefty airflow across these two boards.

I hope I have some time to take and post some pics tomorrow...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:11:54 pm by Level42 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #609 on: June 28, 2011, 07:37:43 pm »
Hope to make some pics and video tomorrow.

Just wanted to say that I love what you are doing here with the cockpit and your arcade in general. It's definitely an inspiration.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #610 on: June 29, 2011, 10:18:50 pm »
Restorey nomination! 
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #611 on: July 29, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »
Haha, good one Spyri....didn't I "invent" Restoreys LOOOOONG ago ?

Hey guys....I think I FINALLY found a problem that kept chasing my SW....

The thing was that after playing the game for about 20 minutes or so, the screen sometimes started to show what looked a bit like a sinus wave on the horizontal deflection. When played on, it got a bit worse apparently and the deflection spot killer kicked in (good to know that works !)...
It was only brief moments, picture would come go for a fraction of a second and be back for 4 or 10 seconds...

I first tried another game PCB set to make sure I was correct in my assumption that it was on the deflection board.
And indeed, the problem stayed.

So I started to closely examine the deflection board. Obviously, the issue was heat related because the problem only started after 20 minutes or so.
However, the fan that I installed does an EXCELLENT job on keeping everything cool, the difference is really huge, so I was a bit baffled that it still could be a heat issue, but localy of course, heat can still build up (a bit).

Now, I looked at the horizontal deflection section. SW owners know that this is on the upper section of the deflection board. In a cockpit, this is pretty close to the "lid" that is over it. Thus, this area is probably the hottest spot in the cab. (without the extra fan).
I started "feeling"/wiggeling at various compenents and looked CLOSELY what happened on the solder side. Very quickly I noticed that C11 had moving pins/soldering islands. Removed the old solder and resoldered it, fixed. So I started suspecting this area so I checked all components there an sure enough I find at least 4 other parts that have (slight) movement on the solderings. Fixed them all. Sometimes the islands had lifted because of the heat so I had to scrap a little off the track to solder it to that.

SO,I had good hopes, put it back in the machine for some more test-playing (oh what punishment ! ;)) For a while I though I had fixed it, but after a while again the problem appeared.

So, while it was still running I watched the deflection board. Sure enough I could see the spot-killer LED go on every now and then. I was feeling/wiggling parts all over the horizontal deflection section to see if I had missed something. And YES, suddenly I found, that when I was pushing on Q14 (the small transistor on the big heat-sink at the top) the LED would go on, and when released it went out again. I could really turn it "on and off" by pushing straight on that transistor.

Took out the board, checked the solderings and sure enough there was a problem with one of the legs. The track had curled up a bit under it and it was making contact, normally, but when pushed the contact went open. So, had to scrape open some part of the track and soldered it to that, and also renewed the two other solderings.

Now, I am pretty confident that I fixed it, but it's long bed time here, so testing will be done tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:46:41 pm by Level42 »

fmarkus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2012, 02:23:11 pm
« Reply #612 on: August 22, 2011, 04:11:46 pm »
I have the exact same problem but my spot killer doesn't turn on. Might not be cool enough or one of the issues you mentioned. Will check this on mine asap! Thanks for letting us know!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #613 on: August 23, 2011, 01:55:21 pm »
One quick tip (more later): check ALL solderings on the deflection board. Use reading glasses or a loupe to see them right ! I'll post a video soon...

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #614 on: March 21, 2012, 11:56:14 am »
A piece of art is never finished and I think a restoration is not unlike that.....

But here's another small but important and very nice step:

Remember this ?

Today the missing serial stickers arrived and of course I put them up right away:

A HUGE THANK YOU TO ETIENNE FOR DOING ALL THIS INCREDIBLE HARD WORK JUST TO HELP US !!!!!! YOU ROCK !!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #615 on: March 21, 2012, 12:23:57 pm »
Now the last (not really of course) is the lower back door. A member of the arcadlifestyle.net forum named HI was kind enough to repro the door for me while he was making one for his own cockpit. All I have to do is put some vinyl on it and install a lock.
I don't have a big enough piece of Happ pica vinyl anymore but it looks like this problem is going to be solved soon thanks to another member :)
Locks I have plenty now so I am close....close to the real finish :)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #616 on: January 14, 2013, 05:31:12 pm »
Now the last (not really of course) is the lower back door. A member of the arcadlifestyle.net forum named HI was kind enough to repro the door for me while he was making one for his own cockpit. All I have to do is put some vinyl on it and install a lock.
I don't have a big enough piece of Happ pica vinyl anymore but it looks like this problem is going to be solved soon thanks to another member :)
Locks I have plenty now so I am close....close to the real finish :)

Hey man, did you finish this bad boy up finally?  This resto is itching for a UCA nom like nobody's business.  If it got done in '12 post up some pics so I can nominate it and share the love!

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #617 on: January 14, 2013, 05:44:57 pm »
No nominations until the pic links are fixed.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #618 on: May 31, 2013, 06:20:58 pm »
Sorry guys, all the pics were on the former Apple service but they kindly decided to remove that service. Yes I'd been warned, but I have a lot more important thing to do then move hundreds of pictures AND repair all the links.....:(

The machine is still in "about finished" state. It's running 100% with a SW/ESB kit inside. Although not bad, I received an even better condition (no holes) coin door (for free !) that I still want to swap in there, and the back door ......well Hi from France kindly made me an extra "copy" of the backdoor he did for his cockpit.
So, recently I got some matching vinyl to put on it (Happ's Pica IIRC) kindly donated by Superully. I went through it really thoroughly and it looked awesome......untill I had installed the lock and realized I had put the vinyl on the WRONG SIDE  :o :o ::) ::) :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :censored:

I had no vinyl left to fix the problem......and buying some is expensive for me (needs to ship from the US, and I only need that small piece.... :S)

If anyone has some of that vinyl left, I'm up for it ! :P

I'll see if I can upload all the pics to one central place and then put a link here, I really cannot go through each and every picture link....

Thanks for considering the nomination though :)