Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Cockpit......SHE LIVES !!!!!  (Read 155424 times)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm

Okay, fair enough, but that's one of the first things that should have been checked... that can add 50% to the cab's value.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
You're right.....but I was lucky to be able to get this shot at all. AND I was extremely lucky to find this cab at all !!! either 19 or 25").....I had to point my camera "around the corner" without being able to look at the display to get this shot. And there's no way to tell if it's 19 or 25" from the front.....

I really think it's a 25" so that makes it an even better deal :D :D

I still think it is very strange that no-one has pictures of a 19" SW cockpit......anyway:

I arranged storage !!!!

Re-confirmed with seller and pick up will be coming week ! :D I can not wait !!!

Also found a source for BU409D's in Germany....ordered, but a very weird ordering system, I guess I will be getting an e-mail or something....

Now I gotta arange a van and some strong guys to help me :D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

You can tell just by looking at it from the front if it's a 25"... it's bigger.  Shine a light through the glass.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Well....tonight it was pick-up time for the Star Wars cockpit !!

I'm doing a fairly extensive foto report of the "road-trip" to get it......I really enjoy the way DarthNuno does his reports on his (never ending ?) road trips to collect amazing arcade cabs....so I decided to do the pics in his style a bit....here we go:

1: The rental-van.......yeah I guess it will fit in here. Main reason I got this one because of the hydraulic lift on the back that would proove VERY nice....

2: Wow, this van is almost brand-new :) Starting from home....

3: Picked up a friend from my marching band who wanted to help and headed north....rats, an unexpected traffic jam :(

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
1: Yes, we are going to this city to pick it up. It's in the north of that city...

2: Arrived on location, but the owner's dad is not there yet. He owns this whole place and rents out space...

3: Behind one of these doors the SW cockpit has waited for me for 8 years to pick her up :D

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
1: That guy's a real business man, money first...then we load :S (Amsterdam-people.....:banghead:!) At least we can keep the plastic cover,  :notworthy:  That lift is fantastic !!! No heavy lifting done at all....

It's also great that this cab has wheels !!!!

2: Lots of space for it.... fixed it with some scrap wood to prevent it from rolling during transport....

3: My son seems to want to fly this baby home.... :D

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
1: Let's head south and back for home......

2: We pass Schiphol airport......holy smoke what's happening there !!!!!

3: Biggies parked amongst each-other ;) Time for a check-up on the passenger: She didn't move at all, great :)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
1: Some scenery, just for fun...

2: and another..... used to be the tallest building in Europe (375 m high, 40m more than the Eiffel Tower): http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerbrandytoren

3: Almost home, Ridderkerk here we come !

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
1: Time to unload at destination !!!My son figured out how to operate the lift within 10 seconds.....totaly safe, you need two hands to operate it :D

2: Finaly a shot of the left side of the cab....very very very nice !!! The cab will stay here until my Gameroom is finished....I can work on the cab here as well :D ! :applaud:

3: Now, I've got to know for once and for all: Is it 19" or 25"........ladies and gentleman, judge for yourself............... :notworthy: :dizzy: :cheers: :notworthy: :dizzy: :cheers: :applaud: :laugh: :P :D :cheers:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
1: Game PCB's.

2: Bottom

3: Right side

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
1: Deflection board, looks great

2: HV-board: Dead-red (?)

3: Yoke wheels....seem to be very greasy !

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
1: 213,5 kilomters round trip.....very much worth it :D

2: A last shot.....

Much to my regret, the power cord had no plug :S.....so I couldn't power it up just yet.....will work on it next saturday.

This cab has been in The Netherlands from the start, stickers are indicating this.....more later !!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 01:22:27 am by Level42 »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

Nice.  That thing is in great shape.  Measure the tube.  Now.  We must know.

BTW, I'm going to laugh at you now for going to Amsterdam and picking up an arcade game instead of 5 hookers and a 10" joint.   :laugh2:

;)

blueznl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 04:50:02 pm
I *hate* you  ;)

Actually, I'm just dead jealous, great find! But stop mentioning these because, well, I don't have the space to have my own gameroom...

Though, seriously, if you run out of space I do have some warehouse space in NL that could be used to store some stuff. (I'm from Capelle as you may know. The storage space is in Utrecht though.)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Chad, since the whole cab is filled with CRT tube from left to right I am 99% sure that this is indeed a 25"  :D

Sorry Blueznl........Capelle a/d IJssel ?? That's  very close to my town :D ! You're welcome to come around and visit, although now only the Galaxian (and my Mamecab) are working/accesible......

The SW is fine for the coming period.....I need to get that Gameroom built :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 11:46:02 am by Level42 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline

BTW, I'm going to laugh at you now for going to Amsterdam and picking up an arcade game instead of 5 hookers and a 10" joint.   :laugh2:

;)
Haha, yeah the things that Amsterdam are famous for.....well you can have both those hookers and the joints..... I'm in Amsterdam at least a couple of times  per month on average......I hate the place, sorry, but you know, I'm from Rotterdam originally (live in a suburb now) and well,Amsterdam vs. Rotterdam are like Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankies....

And besides, you can get hookers and joints at most big(ger) cities here....no need to travel 100km for that :D

blueznl

• Offline Offline
I started living in Rotterdam (or actually nearby Rotterdam) about 10 years ago, because I found a job there. About half a year later I switched company, and the new one was based in Amsterdam. You guessed it, 10 years later I'm still doing the almost daily trip Rotterdam - Amsterdam, which amounts to cruising the biggest parking lot in the world... (A4+A13=JAM) Funniest thing: I worked for different companies over those 10 years, and they're all in Amsterdam (sigh).

Level42, I'd love to come and play but I'm not going to. I first want to complete my own cabinet, otherwise I'd feel too ashamed!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

Yeah, but can you get them legally as easily as buying a pair of shoes?  That's the luxury.

BTW, I am very very very envious on the 25" monitor.  That's the one thing I have never been able to find.  I've only seen one and the guy wanted $2000 for the cockpit it was in.  I need to do a little more research on the architecture of the vector monitor so I can try locating a 27" or 29" tube with the proper deflection angle and see if a vector chassis will drive it.

amadama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2019, 04:44:52 pm
That's a nice looking machine. Congratulations Level42!

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Hey, WTF??? I thought you guys drove on the WRONG side of the road? ???

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Amdama: Thanks !!! I'm on a pink cloud and can't wait til saturday to start work on it :D

Shardian: Whatever gave you that idea ?? The only place in Europe that they drive on the wrong side is the UK, but as we all know they are always stubborn there :D ;)  In the past, only Sweden has been left driving AFAIK.

ChadTower: yeah it is legal to get softdrugs here (joints). The really funny thing is that it's ok to buy small amounts for personal use, and the "coffee" shops are allowed to sell it, but as soon as "wholesale" and production comes around, everything is certainly illegal again !!! Talk about weird !

I hate drugs though, but I do think the softdrug policy here kinda works.....

As for hookers.....yeah it's legal to visit them, but they are still battling them on other ways....if you still want to visit the red-light district, better be fast....but it's a nasty neigborhood IMHO. Lots of dope dealers and other weirdo's......

About that monitor (let's return on-subject :) ):
Remember that the Amplifone vector was/is a mid-res tube. I've been thinking that a computer CRT (21" or something) could work with the correct yoke....a regular arcade monitor or TV-CRT will be too low res for a true Amplifone picture. I don't think anything bigger than a 25" will fit in a cockpit however ?

What do you have, a cockpit or an upright ?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 07:03:40 pm by Level42 »

ArcadeMaze

• No-Edit-Allowed
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 04:20:54 pm
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:40:07 pm by ArcadeMaze »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
OK, did the first investigations !!!

First I removed the upper lid to see the monitor a bit better.....here's the beauty:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Weird. Although the tube is US built, it seems they used cm's in the typenumber.....63 cm matches.....25" :D

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
I made some video's that I will put on Youtube....

It was scary to start it up. When it did, there was the "usual" start-up humm. Then it was running and it smelt funny. You know, that typical electronics burning smell, but not much, and there was no smoke so I thought it was just the dust heating up....

Anyway, dropped in a coin (yes there was the "obvious" Guilder still in the coinbox) and I was greeted with the famous "The force will be with you"..... I was excited as a child.....at least the PCB's are running !!!

Game starts, sounds are all great !!!

(More later)

blueznl

• Offline Offline
YOU MEAN IT WORKS?!?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Except for the monitor, yes it works.....

blueznl

• Offline Offline
Oh  :( I thought even the monitor worked, for a moment I was confused, dumbfounded, and even more jealous than I am right now  8)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Oh  :( I thought even the monitor worked, for a moment I was confused, dumbfounded, and even more jealous than I am right now  8)

Nahhh....see that picture of the HV-board ? that black spot......not good...... :D

Almost all the "important" parts on the HV-board are toasted. Voltage regulators, BU406D, the 50 Ohms resistor that caused this burning mark and I guess of course the infamous red-dead HV-transformer. I cannot test it, but I decided I will get all those parts new and rebuild the HV.....(as if I could decide anything else ;) )
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 05:34:59 pm by Level42 »

rovingmind

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2023, 11:13:48 pm
  • If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side
    • rovingmind
At least it went to a good home and is being lovingly repaired. 
I'm going home to sulk now because i cant start building mine till this fall/winter.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
I just put up a short video. Enjoy !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJLPxdg7lvQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 04:39:34 pm by Level42 »

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
Cool little video.  Looks like you are ahead of the game with the boards and sound working.

TTFN

Darth Nuno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 09:56:44 am
  • Namco is God !
    • Arcade Lifestyle / Dragon's Lair Fans
Hey, great Andre   :applaud:

Happy to see you having finally that great arcade game... I real enjoy the video. It's a real please too see such enthousiam for Arcade Collecting  8)

ps : your vid' remind me the one I've done for Star Wars lightsaber test  ;D Have a look here :

... don't miss the Star Wars cockpit... at the very end of the vid  :)

See ya soon ( let's organize an european meeting  :D )

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Haha, yeah I saw that video before (I'm a regular visitor of your site :) )! Funny !!

About the meeting: Would be great to have more arcade fans to gather here in Europe !!!

What do you think of sunday august 5 ?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

Playing blind doesn't mean the boards are 100%.  It means the game circuitry is working, which is great, but the AVG circuit could be the problem rather than the monitor.  Find that circuit and start probing the test points... IIRC, X and Y should be coming back in roughly the -12v to 12v range, random values of course, and I can't remember the intensity range.  Definitely verify, don't take my values as correct, but they're probably not far off.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Hey Chad, thanks for that suggestion...yeah that could be true, but I've studied quite some info I got from the net and the most likely part of the cab to fail is the red HVT. I don't have a tester for that, but chances that it's bad are VERY high because a lot of parts on the HV board are toasted. When the HVT goes, it takes some parts with it. The 7824 and 7924 both show shorts, the 50 Ohms resistor that caused this burn mark is somewhere in the Megaohms now (and lord knows what it does when power is supplied to it). The delection board is said to be very reliable. The game PCB's of course could also have problems. Indeed I think it's a great indication that it's responding to inputs and playing blind. No it's not a guarantee the picture is still there, but since I have defective parts on the HV-board, I think that's the most logical place to start.There's no neck-glow on the CRT and I don't hear the well-known "knistering" sound when the monitor comes on. This all indicates of no HV being present, so I guess that's my starting point.

Of course, I could replace all suspicious parts on the HV board and try to run it with the "dead-red" HVT, but from what I've read these HVT's will go sooner or later. $99,- will buy me a brand new, overspecced HVT, as you said before, that shouldn't be a problem compared to the money I paid for the cab.

Now that Multigame board that makes it possible to play the Empire Strikes Back as well (and save scores) is a different story....but I know I am going to want that as soon as the monitor is fixed :D

Anyway, I do have an oscilloscope, so I guess I could use that to check what you suggested. The really fun part is that that scope could work as a "Test" monitor. I should be able to see the game playing on it since, well an arcade vector monitor is nothing more than a big oscilloscope :D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

I've seen guys use scopes as test monitors for vector games.  That is defintiely possible if you have a capable scope.  The multigame kit is hard to find now and pricey when you do...

...and yes, no neck glow makes the HV monitor circuit the first thing you fix.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
I found it. And yes it's expensive. But very worthwhile I guess...but I first want to fix the monitor :D

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...

I've seen guys use scopes as test monitors for vector games.  That is defintiely possible if you have a capable scope.  The multigame kit is hard to find now and pricey when you do...

You are serious? I thought level42 was just joking around.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline

You are serious? I thought level42 was just joking around.
Are you kidding, I never yoke around......sorry joke around :P

What is a vector monitor ? It's a monitor where the electron beam is not drawing line by line on the screen like a regular TV or normal arcade monitor. Instead, the beam is moved around as commanded by the signals  coming from the game PCB. (in a color vector, it's three beams of course).

An oscilloscope it exactly the same thing. However, normally, the movement on the x-axis is determined by a timing setting on the scope. So the electron-beam goes from left to right. When signals are supplied to the Y input, these signals will control the Y movement of the beam. In that way you can see the signal as it moves in time. (f.i. like your heart-beat on a cardio machine, exactly the same thing).
Like this:

However, on almost all oscilloscopes it's possible to let the y-movement also controlled by an external signal. This way you can get pretty images like this:

This picture should already give you an indication of what an arcade vector is doing..... :D