Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: magic sword  (Read 3118 times)

jasonl2972

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2015, 12:26:14 am
magic sword
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:21:00 pm »
Had the day off so i've been messing with a few of my project machines.About a month back i picked up a very nice condition magic sword game.It was never in an arcade and instead was owned back in the day by a college student who had it in his dorm room for him and his friends.Well he's older now and has kids of his own so its now in my game room.He stored it in his shed and i was expecting the worst but to my surprise its clean as a whistle inside and looks like it never had dust or a mouse in it.He told me it worked well when he put it away but 15 years later he tryed it and all the lights come on but has a blank white screen.
 I figured it was dirty connections or bad power supply but i've cleaned everything and tested the power supply and have power to the board but nothing further.i tried the board in another jamma cab and same thing.tried another board in the magic sword cab and its fine.So i'm pretty sure its the board.I've reseated and cleaned all the ram chips,checked for any visable burns or damage and can't find anything anywhere.I beleive him when he said it worked when stored so i'm wondering what else might have gotten dirty just sitting there.I know that game has a sound problem with the c board i think,but i get nothing out of it at all.
 So my question is,where do i go from here?What can i test or check on the board to find the problem or narrow it down?It is in such nice shape and looks so clean i'd like to keep it a magic sword,and a replacement pcb isn't in the budget.There's gotta be somewhere i'm not looking or missing,just haven't run into a completely dead board before and don't know where to start.
Games I own. -Neo Geo 4 slot-Sega Turbo Outrun-Space Gun-Sega Hang on-World Series Baseball-Q-bert-V Ball-Magic Sword-Asteroids-Namco sticker club-Touch master 7000-Claw machine-Slot machine

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
Re: magic sword
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 05:06:17 pm »
Added some pics.
Games I own. -Neo Geo 4 slot-Sega Turbo Outrun-Space Gun-Sega Hang on-World Series Baseball-Q-bert-V Ball-Magic Sword-Asteroids-Namco sticker club-Touch master 7000-Claw machine-Slot machine

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:39:58 pm »
 ;)
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:13:09 pm »
thanks for putting those straight for me,don't know why they came out that way but they were from my iphone.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:26:00 pm »
Have you fully gone over the board?  First thing I do is voltage checks, like you've already done, but then I get a magnifying glass and go over every trace, solder joint, smt, IC...everything to make sure there isn't any physical damage. 

Do you hear the game playing?  Or is it not booting up at all?

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 11:04:41 pm »
Have you fully gone over the board?  First thing I do is voltage checks, like you've already done, but then I get a magnifying glass and go over every trace, solder joint, smt, IC...everything to make sure there isn't any physical damage. 

Do you hear the game playing?  Or is it not booting up at all?
I have gone over it with a magnifying glass and a bright light,checked everything.I'm getting no sound and no boot up at all.Has power at the board where the jamma connects and all volts were proper.Screen is white and tripping the coin mechs makes no difference or change.Just seems to be dead and have no power running threw it.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:29:52 pm »
Did you check the voltages at the IC's?  The RAM pins are a good place to test voltages.  Checking it at the jamma edge doesn't really prove anything but the harness being good.

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 06:11:29 pm »
Did you check the voltages at the IC's?  The RAM pins are a good place to test voltages.  Checking it at the jamma edge doesn't really prove anything but the harness being good.
Ok i will try that tonight.So i don't ruin anything let me make sure i do this correctly.With board plugged in and turned on,multi meter set to dc i can touch one probe to each end of the ram chip?width or length ways?Have never done work on the boards themselves and don't want to short them out.I did check the board at various spots trying to follow the tracks for continuity when it was unplugged without power when i was looking for any breaks and didn't find anything,but i will check the ram chips tonight and let you know.Thankyou for any help with this.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 07:17:57 pm »
I don't know CPS1 boards off the top of my head, but you should be able to find an array of RAM IC's that have their # printed on 'em.  Pick one, and look up their schematics for the pinout points and look for the VCC and VSS lines.

We just want to verify the board is actually accepting power.

jasonl2972

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:18:22 pm »
I don't know CPS1 boards off the top of my head, but you should be able to find an array of RAM IC's that have their # printed on 'em.  Pick one, and look up their schematics for the pinout points and look for the VCC and VSS lines.

We just want to verify the board is actually accepting power.
I tested everything to the best i know how.Everything seems to be getting power but still no boot up or sound,just nothing.I started testing resistance on all the caps and did find one that i got no reading from.It looks fine but further testing needs to be done.Not sure if its the cap or something upstream from it or if it just doesn't power on til everything else powers on.Just so many things to test  and try to narrow down,gonna take awhile to figure out.What i need to do is set up a jamma harness and monitor on my work bench so i can test this out of the cab and have more room.

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 08:13:28 pm »
I would just go ahead and recap it. Caps are the most likely component to just go bad with age, and your going to probably going to want to replace them all anyway. I had a Galaxian that wouldn't boot that just needed a cap kit for the PCB.