Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Custom Laser Engraving... Pictures  (Read 3352 times)

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:41:49 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Custom Laser Engraving... Pictures
« on: March 23, 2002, 12:35:34 pm »
Well, I know some people were curious, so I just got home and posted some quick and dirty pictures...

I'm sorry about the quailty, I'm working with a crappy digital camera and crappy lighting situations, so it didn't come out as good as I would have planned >:(.  Hopefully when I have more time I'll do some more intricate engravings and set up an area to photograph them in.. (My garage floor isn't the ideal backgrop for any picture) :)

These engravings were done on garbage materials lying around the house, and they actually came out great (I don't know how well the picture demonstrates that).

We SHOULD be getting some better Acrylic and better hardwood for carving, so I can show the quality a little better.. and next time I'll invert the pacman picture on the Lexan (You'll see from the picture)  

On lexan, the etching feature comes out beautiful, and actually works pretty well in 3d mode (convert images to b&w and use it as a heightmap).

There's a million different things you can do with this, so if anyone has any specific requests they'd like to see done, let me know..

If anyone is interested in getting anything engraved for their cabinets, send an e-mail to mgerety@snet.net and let me know what you're thinking about having done, and I can give you a price estimate.

I hope to have better pictures up this weekend (I'll probably set up a webpage at some point so I can post more than a few).

--NipsMG

;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Beley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2013, 09:02:37 pm
Re: Custom Laser Engraving... Pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2002, 03:33:31 pm »
Dame that is a cool machiene

couple of questions:
Did you have to convert the image to a vector image before you plot it (when not using 3d mode)?

also, a little off topic, How does the laser engrave clear materials (lexan glass...) wouldnt the laser beam just pass though the material and hit whatever is behind it and burn that insted?

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:41:49 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2002, 12:27:46 am »
Acutally, the PacMan image was a bitmap.  I didnt' convert it to vector.. I converted it to B&W, and printed it in 3d mode.. It took white as the highest point, and engraved everything else according to darkness..  Vector art does tend to come out more clean, however.

As far as clear materials go, the laser has an autofocus feature, in which it brings the bed up to the point where it touches the laser, then focuses on the nearest surface, clear or not.. the engraving of Pacman in this picture was done with the paper OFF the lexan..

We will only have the machine for another month or so, as it is for an ENTIRELY different project, however, we're willing to use it to give cab builders the Personal Touch on their cabs while we have it.

IF anyone is interested, like I said, e-mail me at mgerety@snet.net and let me know what you want to do, and i'll give you a price estimate... We MAY get another engraver, but it's not definite, so if anyone wants custom Lexan etching, wood engraving, or custom metal badges for their cabs, speak now, or forever hold your peace (Maybe). ;-)

--NipsMG

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2002, 06:46:51 am »
VERY COOL  ;D

If I had built my own, I think it would have made a way cool marquee (full wood cabinet with a wood marquee!)

Some questions

Have you tried glass yet?  Might make a cool bezel.... but then theres the shipping...

And have you come up with some prices yet.  (not exact, but an exable for what you would charge for the pacman for instance)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2002, 05:33:07 pm »
Hey, there's a piccie of me on that glass!  ;)

BTW, how deep can you engrave?  Can you set the height map so that it stands out in relief?  Would be way cool to have a little thicker lexan with 3D sculptures "suspended" inside!

If you've only got a month, better figure out those prices fast!

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...