Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New jukebox project  (Read 9853 times)

welshmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2010, 02:21:16 pm
New jukebox project
« on: June 16, 2007, 07:04:31 pm »
Building a jukebox for my father-in-law.  My previous build was similar in style to the mameroom wall-mounted juke, but he wanted a more old-fashioned look so I decided to try a completely different design.  Learnt a lot from building mine, so maybe I should have done his first. >:D

The main thing I wanted to replicate is the classic look of the rounded top.  It's nowhere near finished yet, but it's starting to look something like a jukebox so I thought I'd post some pics.  His birthday isn't until August, so I have until then to finish it off.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 07:07:07 pm by welshmark »

GadgetGeek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2014, 09:59:01 am
  • whatever
Re: New jukebox project
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:18:43 pm »
Looks great.  Any tips on how you applied the curved top?  Is that MDF with kerfs cut into it or just really thin MDF or ???

Will this be touchscreen or button based?  Are those button holes centered at the top?

Thanks for sharing and we look forward to more progress pics.

welshmark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 03:15:53 pm »
Thanks gadgetgeek.  I experimented with cutting kerfs in the same 1/2" plywood I used for the front and back panels.  I'd caclulated I would need 55 cuts - roughly one every .75" - but I couldn't stop it cracking.  I also tried 1/4" luan plywood - that worked slightly better with no kerfing but still cracked before I could get the entire curve.  I ended up using some spare 1/8" hardboard I had - it was really flexible and worked great.  Used a nailgun to secure it to the 2x4 frame and a staple gun to attach it to the plywood support pieces I glued around the curve.  Then I used the router to trim it flush with the front and back panels.  Going to put some molding along the edges to give it some transition - also need to add molding around the monitor and the LED fan (still need to cut the hole for that).  Thin MDF may have worked also, and I think you can get luan in 1/8" too which may work, but the hardboard did everything I needed.

It's going to be button based, so yes, those are the button holes.  Played with a few different layouts, but I liked that pattern.  I plan on having buttons illuminated with LEDs.  The four on the left will be A thru D, the four on the right 1 thru 4, and the two in the middle will be left and right.  There will be  a hidden "on/off" button at the back and a "shazaaam" button (either at the back or on the side) to control the admin stuff (yes, I'm using the keywiz encoder).

The software will be wincab and I will be running Windows ME, using Mamewah as a replacement shell (the FE will offer either the singles or album jukebox as it's menu options).

I'm planning on using a dark stain on the front and back and painting the hardboard for contrast.  Any suggestions as to what colors may look good together?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 03:17:59 pm by welshmark »

Lave Laar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2022, 06:23:13 am
    • Freeware arcade related programs
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 04:09:49 am »
That actually looks a little bit like mine.
You're clearly a much better woodworker than myself though.  Looks great.  Looking forward to see the finished product.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 01:59:35 am by Lave Laar »

welshmark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 09:19:46 am »
Thanks Lave Laar.  I'm not surprised it looks a bit like yours - your project was one of the inspirations behind my design.  I spent quite a bit of time looking at your construction pictures to get some ideas.  I particularly liked the recessed control panel you had, though I went in a slightly different direction in the end.

MPTech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2023, 06:13:37 pm
  • UltimateArcade completed!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:47:10 am »
Welshmark,  I was planning to go with the Mameroom design, but really like what you've done so far (I like LL's too). Now I'm second guessing it and starting to lean in this direction.

Do you have any plans that you'd consider sharing? I'd really like to take a look at them, again, great design)
What are your plans for eye-candy (trim, lights, etc. (is that a coin box I see?)
(btw, I picked up a Klipsh 3.1 last month for less than $50 and strongly recommend it (I plan to replace the satellite speakers with a set of Pioneer car speakers) The bass is great and volume / bass controls can be easily adapted to a Digital Juke setup).

What is the height of the screen?  I'm concerned you'll have to bend over/kneel to read the display.  I like the look of the button layout, but your arms will be over the screen.  Let me know if I'm all wet, cause I really like the looks of this. 

This may become a new standard in Digital Juke Designs!  :cheers:
MPTech
   Better living thru technology!   ;-)

welshmark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:38:10 pm »
Thanks for your kind comments MPTech.  This jukebox was actually a lot easier to build than my small mameroom-like one once you get the 2x4 (actually 1.5x3.5) frame built.  For the framework, the four uprights are 37" each (they end at the base of the curve), and all the other pieces are 19".  You can probably work out how it all fits together by looking at the picture of the bare frame from my original post.  I secured it with dowels, glue and deck screws.  It it very sturdy as I jumped up and down on the monitor shelf a good few times.

The jukebox is 50" high, 26" wide and 23" deep.  I built it to those measurements because (a) I wanted to cut the panels and shelves from one piece of 1/2" plywood, and (b) my father-in-law lives over 100 miles away and I needed to be able to fit it into my SUV.

The buttons are about chest height so should be fairly comfortable to use (I hope).  If you need it taller, just increase the height of the four uprights and the front panel by the same amount (though then you'll need 2 pieces of plywood).  The curve at the top of the front panel is basically a 13" radius semi-circle.  There's no problem reading the display because it's a CRT monitor.  Other than the LEDs and molding, I haven't decided yet on what else I'm going to put on it.

Anyway, I've attached my cutting diagram and measurements (includes the 2" molding I added below the front panel) which I worked from - they should give you some ideas.  The cuts for the back panel and the base are identical to the front.  I used one piece of 1/2" 48x96 plywood cut in half.  Let me know if you need anything else.

MPTech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 07:47:37 pm »
Ahhhhh, the proportions of the pictures are misleading. 50 inches tall is very nice. Much taller than I was imagining.  How big is the monitor you're installing?

I'm hoping to start mine in about a month (after I return from vacation and stain my deck (a "honey-do" item).  I was really planning on the Mameroom design (even ordered the plans). But this looks so much better and you've given me some really good ideas.  I also like the standalone aspect and looks like more room internally.

MORE pictures of your progress!  Please!

Really good start, looks very well thought-out and planned.  :notworthy:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:28:56 pm by MPTech »
MPTech

MPTech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 04:56:35 pm »
welshmark, you inspired me!

I was on vacation last week and while driving almost 18 hours, I had a lot of time to ponder my design.  I really liked your frame and the aesthetic looks of the real juke box.  the larger cabinet (I was originally planning on a wall design) allows me to install the bass/amp internally as well.  The more I thought about it, the more I liked your Juke.

I downloaded a tool called Google SketchUP and after messing with it for an hour or so, here's what I came up with.

I'll start a new link ( I don't want to hi-jack yours)  but I just wanted to thank you again.

Keep us posted on your progress.
MPTech

welshmark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 10:27:06 am »
That's a pretty cool variation, MPTech.  Is that a widescreen monitor you have on there?  What are the dimensions you're thinking about?  Is that t-molding you're going to use around the edges?

My project is coming along - just over a month to get it finished.  I've added side doors to the bottom, done the cutouts for the fans, added the molding, did all the wood filling and put on the first coat of stain and primer this morning (that horrible light blue is just primer - not the final color).  Anyone have any ideas as to what color I should paint the top and sides?  I'm thinking maybe a dark brown but am open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 10:30:10 am by welshmark »

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 10:39:48 pm »

My project is coming along - just over a month to get it finished.  I've added side doors to the bottom, done the cutouts for the fans, added the molding, did all the wood filling and put on the first coat of stain and primer this morning (that horrible light blue is just primer - not the final color).  Anyone have any ideas as to what color I should paint the top and sides?  I'm thinking maybe a dark brown but am open to suggestions.

Coming in late to this, but I like your idea!  Nice design and I dig the button design - different from the keyboard layout and I think it really personalizes it and takes away from the "computer" feel that can come through on these types of projects.

As for colors, now that your stain has been applied, I'd stay away from brown (no offense intended, but I keep getting this mental image of a deuce, and you can set off your stain rather than "blending in" with it). 

I'd seriously think about a hunter green or navy blue.  That stain is dark, but not too dark and would set off the contrasting paint color nicely IMO.

Keep up the good work!
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

MPTech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 02:55:22 am »
Coming along nicely there!  What did you use for your trim around the top curves?  I was planning on carefully cutting pieces out of MDF using a router anchored in the middle.
To Drew's point, I agree and think a dark Navy Blue would compliment the wood, but it depends on the decor of your room (I think I just got in touch with my fem side there for a moment) :laugh2:

btw, I started my own link
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68482.0
MPTech

welshmark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 06:50:25 pm »
Thanks guys - I think a dark blue or green would have looked really great, but I already painted it yesterday.  My wife thought her dad (who I'm building this for) would like a dark brown, so we went to Lowes.  She found a gallon of semi-gloss, exactly the color she wanted in their "returns" section for $8.  When we went to pay for it, it printed out a $5 mail-in rebate, which brought the price down to $3.  Not a bad deal for the old deucebox (thanks for that image Drew :laugh2: )

The trim around the top curves - I used some flexible molding - exactly the same stuff I put around the two fan holes and above the side doors.  Used hot glue to secure it on, then filled in the edges with wood filler.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 07:31:25 pm by welshmark »

nate1749

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2008, 01:45:09 pm
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 11:01:40 pm »
nice, i was wondering if google sketchup would work for this, I'm definitely snagging it now, thanks =)

welshmark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 04:43:09 pm »
I've finished!!!  The only thing left is to fit the monitor properly (you can see too much of a gap in some of these photos), but I'll do that once I set it up at my father-in-law's (may create a black bezel for it).  Anyhow, thought I'd take a few photos before I dismantle it.  Pretty pleased with how it came out.

Biscuit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2012, 04:02:28 pm
  • I'm flakey.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 05:53:24 pm »
Looks really great!   :applaud:

I especially like the trim surrounding the front and back of the cabinet.

Congrats!

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 06:10:12 am »
nice cab. very nice intration with the wincab/doscab software.

maybe removing the bezel in the screen could been removed in some sort with a costume skin, but it can been due to tje white monitor used? I just think about it.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

soup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2023, 08:09:06 am
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 06:44:55 am »
welshmark - very nice  :applaud:

I am planning to do something similiar with regards to style. I was trying to modify an old sterogram, but with all the components I had planned to fit it just wasn't going to work.
Did you ever fit any style of lighting? As I am looking into clear tubing and liquid neon lights atm to try and replicate the Wurlitzer style.

superbigjay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 02:50:03 pm
  • I'll always be a kid...
    • superbigjay website
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 03:22:56 pm »
Nice jukebox project welshmark  :cheers:

I love the authentic look of this juke  :cheers:

Recommendations :
- Hide the white monitor.
As space fractal said, you should take the time to paint or add a bezel to hide the white monitor.

- wincab skin.
I thinks Chris added skin support in wincab.
I would recommend to slightly modify the skin to only keep the song selection section of the default skin.
Since you already have the real jukebox, it would look more "natural"

congrats!!
Jay  :cheers:

welshmark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 10:02:37 pm »
Thanks guys.  I don't have the jukebox any more as I took it to my father-in-law's house back in August (he was very happy with his birthday present).  I did however add a black bezel when I installed it at his house, and that hid the monitor pretty well (thank you Hobby Lobby).  I also made up a couple of skins in Wincab and let him choose which one he wanted.  You can't see it so well from the pictures, but I have LEDs installed behind all the buttons and the coin slot.  Other than that (and tricolor LEDs in both fans), I don't have any lights on it.  If I were doing it for myself I may have added a bit more bling, but I think I captured the look he wanted.

Like the idea of clear tubing and liquid neon lights though.  If I was going to build another one, I think I would do a slimline version of this using a flat panel LCD touchscreen and some neon lighting effects - kind of a "fusion" theme.

Soup - don't forget to post pictures of your progress.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:40:48 pm by welshmark »

soup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2023, 08:09:06 am
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 07:37:19 am »
... If I was going to build another one, I think I would do a slimline version of this using a flat panel LCD touchscreen and some neon lighting effects - kind of a "fusion" theme.

Soup - don't forget to post pictures of your progress.

Hmmmm......funny enough I'm actually using a touchscreen (one of those 13" supermarket ones) and a "fusion" theme sounds awesome - you wouldn't happen to live anywhere near Perth Australia would you?? LOL  ;D

Have been mucking around with PowerDraw3 (free, uses grids + measurements www.tekhnelogos.com ) in designing (READ - trying to errrr....borrow ur plans he he) the jukebox, so will post up pics when it's progressing (hopefully this weekend). But I don't think they'll come close to looking as professional as your project though. The only issue I have had lately is trying to find something chrome to attach to the middle of the arc where the tubes join up to. Have also tried researching for a 'bubbler generator" but no luck so far.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 04:01:29 pm »
Wow, beautiful piece of work.

As far as what superbigjay is talking about, take a look at low-res.skn  It's the same as the default skin, just zoomed in a bit.  You may want to go into that skin and change the displays to 5 lines, but otherwise I think it would go very well with your box.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 07:14:58 pm »
welshmark,

I just happened upon your thread. I was curious to know what type of material you used to do the curved part of the top. Thanks for any info.

Encryptor

welshmark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 03:35:11 pm »
Sure - the top and the sides are one piece of 1/8" flexible hardboard, stapled into the frame and trimmed with a router.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 03:36:58 pm by welshmark »

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 05:12:02 pm »
Ok thanks for the info.

Encryptor