Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My cabinet is complete  (Read 2099 times)

zaphod

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2012, 11:11:38 am
    • ArcadeCab.com
My cabinet is complete
« on: April 19, 2003, 09:22:23 pm »
Hello all.  It's time to make myself known and to give back to the community which has caused me great joy these last four months.  I have completed my cabinet and posted the results.  http://mtrello1.tripod.com

I have been reading through these various forums religiously for the last five months but this is my first posting.  In December I constructed my first cabinet over the course of two weeks, getting it into working working by my New Years Eve party.  It was a huge hit.  Of course, it took another two months to finally get the marquee ordered and installed.  Tough to find the time when I was playing on it non-stop.  Although the design pales in comparison to some of the highly original works shown here, I'm quite proud of it.  I had marginal woodworking skills at best, but it was a great experience and I learned much from it.  I consider all the goofs just as adding to its 'personality'.

The site gives a fairly detailed account of the cabinet's construction, simple enough for a novice (like I was) to follow and use for ideas.  I took a slew of pics with my handy digicam.  I had been distributing a CD version to interested parties locally and was harrassed by my friends to make it web accessible.  

Yes, it uses an X-arcade as the controller... for now.  I wanted the machine running as soon as possible (I'm not real patient) and that was a solution that worked for me.  The price was right and the size was acceptable to the significant other.  I will have my custom CP complete in the next month or so, and post pics of it on the site.  Nothing too fancy.

I hope this helps anyone who is hesitant to construct their own Mame cab.  It's really not that scary.

Thanks for all the help you didn't know you gave me.  :)  
I welcome any questions or remarks.

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
Re:My cabinet is complete
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 02:32:40 am »
What is that?  Oak?  Birch?

Nice look, though, hope the custom controls turn out OK!
k-spiff

zaphod

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2012, 11:11:38 am
    • ArcadeCab.com
Re:My cabinet is complete
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 08:53:10 am »
I used 3/4", cabinet-grade birch plywood.  It is smooth on both sides already, so sanding goes quickly and it was really nice to work with.