Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Apache Controls Blackhawk Spinner  (Read 4256 times)

Amigoid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2019, 07:43:44 pm
Apache Controls Blackhawk Spinner
« on: May 31, 2007, 12:39:50 am »
 :notworthy:
When I was building my Supercade variant, it was mandatory that I make my control panel Discs of Tron -compatible.  I was originally looking for the Oscar controls unit, but when they were not available, and I could not locate a used DoT spinner, I expanded my search and found the Blackhawk. 
Wow.
This unit is one of the nicest, most well-built components in my control panel, and graces top-center on the panel (see web links at end). I waffled between the primary and secondary versions, finally opting for the only slightly more expensive Primary.  Now, understand, I was new at this, so those that see the control panel will realize that its overkill; the Opti-Pac installed in my panel could have handled it, or conversely, the Apache could have handled both the spinner AND my trackball.  But by making the devices separate I have some future expansion flexibility. 
Now, about the unit.  Spinning it, it is solid, and smooth as butter.  The up/down switches are solid and reliable.  Tron, Discs of Tron, Breakout, Arkanoid, Tempest, and Cameltry are all slick, fast and reliably fun with it.  I re-wired the unit (switching the top and bottom switch leads carefully) so that I can use the trackball mouse and a quick tap on the spinner is the same as a left-mouse-click. 
When the unit had a malfunction several months out, they were good to swap out my controller board.  When my kids got too excited and whaled on the spinner a bit too enthusiastically, they cheerfully shipped me a replacement spring.   Now, this is not to suggest that their gear is not top of the line.  It is rock solid and reliable, after almost a year of use its still smooth.  Their customer support is first rate. 
I won't build another arcade panel without their Blackhawk, simple as that. 
I just started a web page to show off the arcade cabinet, and plan to post detailed pics of the arcade machine soon.
Apache controls are found here:
http://www.apachecontrols.com/store/
And a pic of my new cabinet (completed, this is a WIP picture) is here:
http://home.comcast.net/~lbrown-amigoid/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
Re: Apache Controls Blackhawk Spinner
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:29:47 am »
That 2 step CP design looks familiar. I almost went for that design myself.

Nice job!
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

shorthair

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 05:32:55 pm »
Curious the timing of this post with the Apache special in Main.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:14:26 pm »
I'm glad I didn't post my review this week.   I got one in Feb and have yet to test run it.  It is a very solid piece of equipment and the guys there go out of their way to help.  I will post a review when I get it into a cab. I want to try it out with a trackball attached as I don't think anyone has reviewed that feature yet.

Amigoid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2019, 07:43:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 12:49:15 pm »
 8)
Hey, I didn't know they were running a special! Thats cool.
I just found this place and wanted to start posting about my cabinet design, and I will be writing next about the Ultimarc parts.  I figured I would write about Apache first since I have had to contact them on two occasions, and both times when I needed help they either did a free component swap (control board) or just sent me the part (springs) for free.  Try doing that at any other store...  :cheers:
I have the Optipac, the ipac4, and a pair of ultrastic 360 joysticks in with the rest of the stuff.  (oh and the rotary joystick interface for my Ikari sticks which suck). :hissy: