Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CONEY ISLAND MAME  (Read 3655 times)

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
CONEY ISLAND MAME
« on: April 18, 2003, 11:22:29 am »
Hello fellow Mamers.....

....I know you've all felt the same shiver that I did the first time I actually figured out MAME and what a "magical" and amazing program it can be.

...here's how it started for me:

Back in early Jan. I came across XArcade. I though hmm...that's cool....I have a Playstation (1), Dreamcast and an XBox....that stick would work with them all....cool!

After using the stick for about a week...my gears started turning....hmmm...."all I need is an empty cab and I can literally make an arcade machine." Well, within about 3 weeks...one thing let to another and before I knew it I found a local guy in NJ at Basementarcade.com who was selling old/rundown cabs for only $35.00. After we spoke for another $20. he said he would deliver it to me.

I won't bore you with all of the details...but in a short time I had all 3 consoles running in the cab.....gaming heaven!

Any way, I kept reading about MAME and visited a few rom sites....(with no roms)....and figured ah forget this MAME thing.....it's too complicated.  But, being the type of person that I am, I was too intrigued with the concept of 1600+ real arcade games.....well obviously I figured it out.

Here's where I stand:
60 gig; Pentium 4; 256 ram
19" flat screen VGA
VGA switcher box with XBox, Dreamcast and PC attached
1600 + MAME Games (and counting)
15 XBox games (including XBox live)
50+ Dreamcast games
50 Pinball Machines (PC Pinball Madness)
45 Slots Machines (Bally's Slots)
Arcade Jukebox 7; with 3000+ MP3s(Mark Schwartz)
XArcade Solo
Oscar Spinner 3 (with engraved spinner)
and coming soon a 50's retro stool and XArcade Trackball.

GAMING HEAVEN!!!!

Here's a pic of my before (I hope I attached it properly!)....and I've included a web link to Oscar Spinner's web site that houses pics of my "after".

Thanks to this "community" for truly giving me hours, days and literally months of gaming joy!

HERE'S THE AFTER:
http://www.oscarcontrols.com/customers/gerson/

The Mame Master
 ::)
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re:CONEY ISLAND MAME
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 07:34:59 pm »
what is that silver thing up by the marquee?

anthony691

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2016, 03:10:23 pm
    • Lightgun.tk
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 09:17:56 pm »
what is that silver thing up by the marquee?

Speaker?
Visit my MAME lightgun site:
http://www.lightgun.tk

Geekboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2011, 05:36:26 pm
  • Yes I am a big Geek!
    • Techiegeeks.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 10:57:21 pm »
VGA switcher box with XBox, Dreamcast and PC attached
What VGA Switcher did you use.  I'm looking at putting my Dreamcast in my cabinet with my PC also.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 12:56:13 am »
What VGA Switcher did you use.  I'm looking at putting my Dreamcast in my cabinet with my PC also.
AND..... ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3413125268&category=174
C'mon did you even look :P?

Mamemaster,
Why "coney island mame" ?
Do you live around here?
Hey I do...18th AVE and Coney Island ;D.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2003, 12:59:18 am by SNAAAKE »

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
ANSWERS RE: CONEY ISLAND MAME
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 04:25:18 pm »
 ;D
Hello!...sorry for the delay in responding. Here are the answers to the questions I received:

The "silver thing" is the magnet from the speaker I took out and dumped (it was wet), and I replaced w/stereo speakers & small sub woofer.

The VGA switcher box I ordered from CompUSA for about $22. It can handle upto 4 VGA inputs and I'm presently using 3. I have the PC, the XBox attached through the Redunt VGA convertor (not bad), and the Dreamcast VGA Box. I can't tell you how AMAZING Guilty Gear and Ikuraga look in particular on a VGA screen!

Lastly, yes. I grew up in Brighton Beach a few blocks from Coney Island. For those familiar with the area I must have spent HUNDREDS in Faber's Fascinaton (on Surf) and on the boardwalk. I specifically remember playing a lot of Ski Ball, Star Wars (the Vector one), Spy Hunter, Street Fighter, Paper Boy and Galaxians.

Coney Island was a rough place....but everyone pretty much got along at the arcade!

The Mame Master!
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?