Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jamma Test Kit for Auctions -Started  (Read 4302 times)

JayTea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2009, 03:32:25 pm
  • Whatchu talkin 'bout, Willis?
    • Licoricepizza.com
Jamma Test Kit for Auctions -Started
« on: April 21, 2003, 01:12:54 am »
     After going to the San Jose arcade auction a few weeks ago and purchasing a jamma cab (originally a Missile Command - horribly converted and abused), I have decided to make a portable "Jamma Test Kit" from the innards of my soon-to-be Mame'd cab.

The game works fine after an isolation transformer was added and the original power supply was chucked.  The problem is that  the game is "Thunderjaws" and isn't exactly a huge classic - and I already promised my wife's cousin a Mame cab.

So here I am with all this operational gear - it seems like it would be a waste to just get rid of it.   Ah haaa!  A new project!  I am going to construct a very small jamma cab with a 19" monitor.  Access to the PCB will be inside of an easily accessible compartment on the back (plug and play).    When not in use at an auction, it will sit on top of my bar!  I've gotta finish my Wife's cousins project, because this one is going to be a lot more fun!

Let me know if you have any suggestions or things you think would be beneficial for this type of project!
JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re:Jamma Test Kit for Auctions -Started
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 01:27:32 am »
Swapping out that 19" monitor for a 13" one would be very benificial when it comes to lugging that thing around.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 11:46:27 am »
Here's an excellent write up. What you are talking about is called a SuperGun.

http://www.arcadecollecting.com/info/supergun.txt

I am going to build one soon too. I have a countertop poker cabinet I will be building it in to. I have a JAMMA Harnes and the controls and will be picking up a 13" monitor soon.

Coming Soon

JayTea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2009, 03:32:25 pm
  • Whatchu talkin 'bout, Willis?
    • Licoricepizza.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 12:20:42 pm »
Good info, Birdman - at least I know what to call my project - Supergun V 1.1 :)  - It's also nice to know that there is a resource for what I am doing.

When my project is mobile, it will act similarly to a "rolling suitcase", with extendable handle and retractable casters on the bottom, therefore the screen size from 13" to 19" is negligible, plus I already have the 19" from the Thunderjaws.

I also have been thinking about how I can make it compatible with older Stern, Atari, Sega, Midway, and Williams PCB's - I guess several pre-made wiring harnesses/adapters would do the trick.  Maybe I can find a bunch of pulled ones off of ebay and rig them to fit jamma, or bite the bullet and buy them from Bob Roberts.  I'm trying to keep this project very low cost.

JT the Footballguy
Step in the Arena

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
    • Birdtales
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 01:08:48 pm »
Good info, Birdman - at least I know what to call my project - Supergun V 1.1 :)  - It's also nice to know that there is a resource for what I am doing.

When my project is mobile, it will act similarly to a "rolling suitcase", with extendable handle and retractable casters on the bottom, therefore the screen size from 13" to 19" is negligible, plus I already have the 19" from the Thunderjaws.

I also have been thinking about how I can make it compatible with older Stern, Atari, Sega, Midway, and Williams PCB's - I guess several pre-made wiring harnesses/adapters would do the trick.  Maybe I can find a bunch of pulled ones off of ebay and rig them to fit jamma, or bite the bullet and buy them from Bob Roberts.  I'm trying to keep this project very low cost.

JAMMA fingerboards are cheap at Bob Roberts. The connectors to fit the other games are too. Then it's just a matter of wiring them up. Some are harder than others because of audio boards or power requirements, these are the ones you see on eBay for 50 - 75 dollars. I am working on one for an Arkanoid board so I can play Arkanoid 1 (Non-JAMMA) in the same cabinet as Arkanoid 2 (JAMMA). I belive the 3 connectors I need from Bob come to a whopping 12.00 . You'd be hard pressed to find harnesses on eBay for less than 20.00 and you'd still need the fingerboard.

Bryan

Coming Soon

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 03:01:26 pm »

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
    • Birdtales
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 04:19:15 pm »

Coming Soon

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 05:32:25 pm »
At one time when I had a zillion boardsets laying around, my Time Pilot cocktail had edge connectors for JAMMA, Konami, Universal, City Connection, and Sega System 16.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.