Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GFX Card for S-Video ?  (Read 2799 times)

Zombie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2016, 07:14:59 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • zombie's homepage
GFX Card for S-Video ?
« on: March 24, 2002, 10:52:30 am »
I need a graffic card which would only use S-Video (no monitor connected)
Was reading about the Voodoo3 card, anyone know how the TV quality is on these cards?

quote:
-----------
Using a Voodoo3 based system without a monitor (TV-out only)
On the Voodoo3 cards, the display will default to the TV output whenever a monitor is not detected and a Svideo or composite connection is detected. If there isn't a monitor plugged in, it'll boot through the TV-out. However, if no connection at all is detected it will boot from the monitor, enabling you to connect a monitor later.
----------

what other cards would work for a MAME cabinet+TV ?

thnx :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: GFX Card for S-Video ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 09:47:20 am »
Most consistent is the ATI lines (excluding the XPert I believe).  They all use the same great TV-out

Geforces are sold with different brands.  Some brand names use great TV-out and some suck.  If it has TV-in and TV-out it should be great.  Just make sure there is a return policy.

I've never used the voodoo3's so I can't help.  But it's a dead company and you might not want to deal with something that wont be supported in the future.

lightspeed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2016, 07:48:35 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re: GFX Card for S-Video ?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 12:32:59 pm »
I agree- stay away from the Voodoos.  They had some display quality problems, too.

IMHO, the ATI Radeon series offers the best quality.  They'll boot like the 3Dfx card you mentioned above, too.

BE VERY CAREFUL TO GET A CARD MANUFACTURED BY ATI, AND NOT A 3rd PARTY CARD BASED ON THE RADEON CHIPSET.

Sorry for the caps, but this cannot be emphasized enough.  Anything that indicates "Powered by ATI" is not an ATI manufactured card.