Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FOBT - anyone here converted one?  (Read 3728 times)

CountZero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2013, 05:34:14 am
FOBT - anyone here converted one?
« on: May 22, 2007, 06:38:10 am »
Hullo, apologies for my first post being questions, but we all start somewhere, right?

questions relate to the post title, i've recently acquired a FOBT (Fixed Odds Betting Terminal) to convert to a MAME/Jukebox for my cellar (or basement if you're across the pond) and wondered if any members here had done the same?

you may have seen them on sale on eBay, some in raw state as mine is, and some converted.

it contains a ELO touchscreen and a PIII PC with some odd hardware i've never seen before.
i've stripped out the original buttons, thermal printer and coin mech (removed about 80% of the hefty coin slot and cash box no easy task without keys) but would like to retain the in-built amp and LED array behind the marquee. finding drivers for these seems to be nigh impossible.
i've mailed Cyberview Technology who made the FOBT to see if they could help, but no reply so far.

any help would be greatly appreciated, and i look forward to any replies ;)

CountZero

• Offline Offline
Re: FOBT - anyone here converted one?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:41:27 pm »
in case you're still not sure what i'm on about, here's a coupla dodgy pics, sorry for quality they aint from my camera ;)

front view

blurry pic of pc internals

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 03:09:39 pm »
That's actually what they refer to as a "candy cab" around here. From Japan / asia
NO MORE!!

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:43:11 pm »
someone else got one
thread
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 04:47:47 pm »
someone else got one
thread

Looks to be the exact same one.

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

CountZero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:30:55 pm »
yup, tis from the same source, i paid slightly more than the other fella due to the PC & coin mech still being inside, have to admit i junked the printer tho due to it being a roll fed thermal unit.

they mostly come from Ladbrokes (a betting shop chain in UK) and from what i can figure when working booted from HD but were controlled from an external server, they took coin, notes or some form of credit card and winnings were printed as vouchers from the thermal printer to be cashed at the desk.

being my first project i'm gonna keep it simple i think, just gut everything except monitor and PC, replace the speakers with a PC set with subwoofer in the base where the cashbox was, rig some sort of light where the LED array was behind the marquee (only software i can find on the HD is a test prog which seems to do little) and fabricate a control panel.

it'll be multi-emu as i got rid of all my Sega stuff before moving house and i miss Toejam & Earl :D and no doubt have a jukebox to make use of the touchscreen.

control panel may prove interesting as i know jack about metalworking, guess i'll just snag some aluminium printing plates from work for the base, hide the screws etc. with an overlay and top it with some sort of polycarbonate sheet.

i have a couple of joysticks of unknown origin from ebay, 10 black buttons, player 1 & 2 buttons, and a controller harness also purchased from ebay quite some time ago.
i'm beginning to think this may not be enough buttons, whats the recommended minimum to cover the most bases for MAME ??

look forward to any and all replies, just be gentle with me ;)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 01:11:07 am »
It won't be the world's best layout, but you could replace each one of those large buttons with a joystick and be done with the control panel.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:25:45 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 07:03:57 am »
how did you get hold of that fobt mate,those are big money earners,people don't let them go easily

CountZero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 12:47:33 pm »
company near where i work (outside Leeds) has a load, can get you a contact number if you want.

they are around 7yrs old now tho, judging by components, think the newer ones were steel construction not ABS, then there were some Blue & White ABS ones too (apparently like rocking horse poo now tho)

current gen ones look like this http://www.cybview.com/terminals.php those i imagine won't be easy to get

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 01:00:07 pm »
not gamestec in low lane by any chance,and the one you have was operated by rank leisure

CountZero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 01:23:03 pm »
no m8, Arcade Clearance Ltd. in Morley, and the cash door cover has Ladbrokes on it so i assumed it was from them

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 01:34:05 pm »
anyway you got a good buy there,that was a good pc in the cyberview and t/screen technology was pretty good on them as well

Steve Works

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2015, 03:07:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 03:08:03 pm »
That's an awesome machine. Is it still working?
I would love to get my hands on one! :D