Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Ipac2 or Keywiz

Ipac2 - Easy to get in the UK
60 (75%)
Keywiz - HM Revenue and customs will screw me
15 (18.8%)
Keyboard Hack - Go old school
5 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: "Bubble Gum Betty" Projects End!! (Updated 10/03/08)  (Read 53118 times)

waveryder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Actually "Fablon" is a semi opaque self adhesive vinyl covering. Its commonly used for covering mdf cabinets. The company doesn't make it anymore but b&q are selling off their old stock cheap. They also do "Fablon" In a chrome mettalic material. It didnt let as much light through obviously as it is a denser vinyl. The stuff is abbout £9 for 2x1.5 metres.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 01:35:04 pm by waveryder »
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Small CP update!

Been busy putting in all the LED's into the translucent buttons. I choose wide angle LED's as I could only seem to find superbrights with a 20 degree angle. I got my wide angles from china for the measley sum of £2. Excellent purchase if I do say so myself! They have a 100 degree viewing angle and fill the entire button with light.

You can see that the wider angle at the bottom of the pic spreads the light out a lot better and no HOT SPOT!

I wired each LED into the base of my buttons and connected it to the power and ground of the computers powersupply. Each led is heatshrunk over the solder points with adhesive shrink to make the bond a bit stronger, that way I could mould the cable round the plunger.

Each LED is connected with bullet plugs so I can still pull them out of the panel. and the controls are connected to 2 ATX connectors making it quick to swap panels (For my inevitable yoke/steeringwheel  ;D)

The buttons glow bright blue in daylight but obviously look there best when its dark.

Daytime Betty

Betty After Dark

Would love some LED balltops for this but cant get em here in the UK :( cant be dealing with customs issues. Im going to wire the buttons to the PAC-DRIVE eventually, For MALA Attract Mode (cant wait) but can't permanatley mount the PCB in the cab as im using it for something else on my desktop.

Thats it for the moment!

(Anyone wanna build me a translucent starwars yoke?)

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
Re: "BETTY AFTER DARK" Translucent LED Control Panel (Updated 12/07/07)
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 11:09:55 am »
(Anyone wanna build me a translucent starwars yoke?)

Now that would be something to see. :o

This is turning into a real nice bling fest.  Keep up the good work.

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 11:49:59 am »
I got a cool light bleed effect with my panel too. Check it out:

Now that was while I was still testing things on a computer monitor before mounting it on my cab and installing t-molding. To my surprise, however, the bleed still came through with the t-mold installed. It looks really cool in person.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

CountZero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2013, 05:34:14 am
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2007, 07:12:18 am »
if you want to increase the light dispersement from regular LED's take a piece of fine sandpaper and by hand gently buff the LED until its an even cloudy texture all over (don't try a dremel, it'll rag loads of the plastic away before you've had chance to shut it off).

learnt this from doing mods on Xbox controller ports, controller cables & rumble-activated controller lights. Nothing worse than looking head on at an LED and getting blinded :D

excuse the pic, its a few years old and the only one i had to hand, but it gives you the general idea ;)

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
How are you bleeding the light through the plexi.  Does it come through the "Fablon" stuff?  Looks sweet

I did a quick google on Fablon and what I found out is that the stuff is basically a window treatment used for privacy.  It gives the plexi a frosted look but it allows the light from below to pass through.  I am sure you can find something similar here in the states.

You can lightly sand the bottom of standard plexi with an orbital sander and get a similar effect.

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
"Bubble Gum Betty" New name new colour!!
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2007, 01:43:56 pm »
After busy month finally got back on the case with BETTY. Both the missus and myself were not happy with the way she was coming out. She wants a jukebox, I want an arcade machine. Betty wasnt shaping up to either of our expectations.
So in time honoured fashion we  ripped her to pieces and got drunk. Then a bottle of scotch later it dawned on us, she just didnt have that Japanese candy cab feel . A candy cab should not be red or blue and it certainly shouldnt be used for evil in a betting shop. It needs to have a japanese asthetic. Hmm what do I think of when I hear the word "Japanese"?....girls in sailor suits.....strange looking pussycats....dodgy cartoons.....breaking videogame release dates....hmmm. What could give betty a quality Japanese candycab feel? :dizzy:

A BUBBLEGUM PINK PAINT JOB!

Blue neon, blue LEDS and Bubblegum pink paint! Now thats what I call CANDY :applaud:

Akuma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2011, 07:51:30 am
  • lp, lp → lk, sp
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" New name new colour!! (Updated 29/09/07)
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2007, 03:43:12 pm »
just awsome - can't wait to see the finished cab!

But I would like to ask a single question even if it might seem strange to you - is the top of the control panel flat or slightly angled? If angled, could you tell me how many degrees? Just thinking to make a candy like cp and haven't got any clue on candy angles : )

Cheers!

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" New name new colour!! (Updated 29/09/07)
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2007, 04:19:11 pm »
Quick update:
Finished the backpanel today. I cut a spare piece of 10mm plexiglass to mount the audio controls, power adaptor and amplifier transformer. Not seen a lot of these on the forums so hopefully will help somebody.

I used a surge protecting kettle plug socket to stop the cab knocking out the fusebox in my house (used to pull to many amps at once!) I spliced the main power connector from the amplifiers transformer to it using female spade connectors (£1.59 from maplins). I used another cutoff piece of plexi to make a small shelf for the audio controls to sit on and drilled 3 small holes for the adjustment knobs. Screwed the whole thing to the cab now everything is powered from one socket and one switch. That should keep little fingers out of the cabs electrics.  :applaud:

CathalDublin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 04:05:23 pm
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" Backpanel's in and toddler proof (Updated 30/09/07)
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2007, 07:59:40 pm »
Savage Cabinet
A work of Art :applaud:
I would have chose a candy green or orange myself but the workmanship is flawless
you must have some time/tools on yer hands.

Go with the I-Pac IMO as my keywiz just died and I barely even used it yet :(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:34:55 pm by cynos »
Defender(multiwilliams), SF2CE
Whirlwind, Lethal Weapon 3

CountZero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2007, 05:02:49 am »
thats coming along very nicely, wish i had the time and cash to do more to mine :(

recently got made redundant so its well on the back burner now.
all i've been able to do (with bits i have knocking about) is mount 2xUSB ports in the unused coin return door, fit a momentary switch where the coin eject button was to power her up, and swap out a couple of the locks for new ones with keys!

are you using Plasti-Kote for the paintjob?
i tested some on my CP, and it took real well, but where peoples grubby mitts rub the edge its wearing off, how do you stop this??

good luck with the toddler-proofing, soon as my cab gets fired up the little 'un wants to be on my knee and then takes over the controls. Nothing worse than plugging away in your favourite shooter to suddenly have a small pair of hands shunt you across to P2 controls with the cry of "No daddy, mine!!" :D

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2007, 01:17:24 pm »
A couple of good coats of "CLEAR" will stop the paint rubbin off. Plastikote is pretty good stuff but be careful if your gonna paint the cabs body as Plastikote Super contains acetone and can seriously cock up the plastic if you don't do it right.

Today I wired up the coin controls. Im using an electrocoin coin mech and a mars ME11 credit board. After searching the BYOAC forums for some useful info on this and finding nothing but comments like "you should get a mechanical mech" I decided to just wire it up. Holy Crap! was it simple 3 wires 2 to the PC's power supply and 1 0V to the IPac. I changed the jumpers to set the machine to 20p play and started playing with the token trainer. Highly recommended way to get coin controls on the cab for next to nothing. Ive seen these mechs go on ebay for a couple of quid! The mech also has connections for a 12V lamp (I'll be putting blue Leds there soon!) and a coin counter. Unfortunately all the coin counters that ive seen cant be reset which kinda defeats the object of having one  :-[

BIG THANKS TO COUNTZERO FOR DONATING THE MECH :applaud:

CountZero:
My young'n wont play on the games yet he only likes the jukebox, so no interuptions here :)
If it wasn't for his skills with a lightsabre id swear he didnt inherit any of my genes!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" Backpanel's in and toddler proof (Updated 01/10/07)
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2007, 01:22:14 pm »
WOW - I absolutely LOVE the pink!!!!   :notworthy:

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" Backpanel's in and toddler proof (Updated 01/10/07)
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2007, 07:07:27 am »
CountZero:
You said that you have replaced the locks on your cab. Where did you find locks that fit? Cant find them anywhere.

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" Pink Accessories (Updated 02/10/07)
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2007, 01:43:25 pm »
Ok here is the first of many bubblegum pink accesories for my "Bubblegum Betty Cab". Im still waiting on some plastic to arrive for the new computer chasis so I've been keeping myself busy with this:

Act Labs Vga Lightgun Hybrid Oh Yeah!!

Fed up of the ugly captain proton gun, I ripped the act labs gun apart and re-housed it in a PS1 predator gun chasis. Had to extend a few wires to the optical sensor as this is very short in the act labs gun. The magnifying lens on the predator is stronger than the act labs one so I left it in place. This has resulted in an increase in accurracy (at least it seems that way to me) I mounted the calibration switch  and trigger microswitch (bad design Act Labs!) onto a piece of plexiglass cut to the same shape as the original Predator PCB. I mounted the b button switch (there are 2 for some reason?) to the second of the predators switches and all is working great. I intend to get some of that cool chromed arcade tubing you see on light guns to replace and lengthen the original wiring as the actlabs one is so short. I alligned the optical sensor with a very complicated device (a straw *lol) to align it perfectly in the center of the chamber and held it in place with hot glue. The original predator gun cost me £2 on ebay and a fiver to spray it "BubbleGum" Pink. Now off to play HOTD3.

Initial Wiring

Wired Up for HOTD3

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" Act Labs Vga Lightgun Hybrid (Updated 02/10/07)
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2007, 05:26:30 pm »
this is awesome!! very nice man. if i ever get a light-gun im going to have to modify it somehow as well..

Neil

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2007, 05:49:01 am »
Its pretty easy to do. You just have to make sure that the optical sensor stays in the middle of the chamber, that way your gun still works properly. Incidentally the act labs gun originally was 2mm off in its chasis and the reciever channel was massive. The new gun has a more concentrated channel and the sensor can literally sit on top of it.

CountZero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2007, 10:39:40 am »
waveryder:
search on ebay for item number 290159601655, dont seem to be any for sale at the moment but always worth an email ;)

the guys we got our cabs from are selling 32mm ones (actually 28mm, they measured 'em wrong) but they're way too big, you need 15mm like the auction.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2007, 11:33:31 am »
Regarding locks, I picked up a few at my local big box (Stuffmart) hardware store.  They were pretty cheap.

Great job on the gun hack.  Did you happen to take any more pictures.

You should have no problem getting a decent gaming and jukebox system in there.  Look'n good.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2007, 12:34:38 pm »
Re: Keywiz/I-Pac - I prefer the KeyWiz, but they are both excellent products - if the I-Pac is much more convenient for you (price-wise), go that route.

Out-of-date comparison here: http://www.mameworld.net/tigerheli/encoder/index.htm
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2007, 01:01:48 pm »
TheCoder:
Dont mind opening the gun back up to take some more  pics. Anything in particular you wanted to see? The hack was so easy im really suprised no one has ever posted one before. The act labs electrics are mounted on a piece of plexi that I cut to resemble the inside of the PCB that was originally in there. Tell me what you wanted to see and ill open her back up and snap some pics. Im gonna add a few LED's into the gun anyway. The original gun used to fire the LED's in a stream whenever the trigger was pressed. Easy to reproduce just gonna mount the LED's onto perspex ( I just love perspex) and run a 5V supply to the gun and use the main trigger ground. Havent done it yet as I want to get some of that chromed cover you see in the arcades. Until I do I cant have wires trailling because of the toddler.

Today:
Just bought 3 25way D plugs and borrowed 2 VGA male 2 male cables from work. Got a lot of soldering to do! Can you guess what there for? ;)

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2007, 01:16:55 pm »
Just bought 3 25way D plugs and borrowed 2 VGA male 2 male cables from work. Got a lot of soldering to do! Can you guess what there for? ;)
One of these, (maybe, could be wrong)!!!
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2007, 02:24:19 pm »
So what did you use to paint the thing pink - it looks like it came out of the factory that color.  Did you spray it on?  With what?  Is it something that can be done at home or did you have access to expensive spraying equipment?

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2007, 04:21:33 pm »
Javeryh:
Im a stay at home dad so believe me when I say nothing on "Betty" has been expensive. The paint is ABS plastic paint called "PLASTIKOTE" It took 2 coats of colour and 3 coats of clear to do. Im pretty good with a spraycan (mispent youth in the 80's) Its easy enough as long as you keep in the same direction and shake the can every 30seconds or so otherwise you get splodges of colour. Using "Clear" over the top is very forgiving as it evens out any lighter marks. Also stay away from gloss spraypaint! It shows up every mark. Took me 5 cans for "Betty" and one can for the gun. Theres a few more parts going pink before im done if I can get these damn 25way connectors soldered! :hissy:

ARTIFACT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2018, 12:32:23 am
    • ARTIFACT - my scratch designed & built arcade cabinet
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2007, 03:16:02 am »
OMG!!!

I just wanted to say WOW
awesome project my friend!

makes me want to light up the buttons on my ARTIFACT Game Museum cab!!!

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" Soul Caliber *yum (Updated 12/10/07)
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2007, 08:29:52 am »
Last update for a while as some life stuff has come up:
Been busily soldering 25way D plugs for the last couple of days, One for the control panel one for the Ipac2 and one for the Dreamcast. Bought a parrallel and vga switch box to connect em all up so I can switch between the 2 systems quickly and safetly. The dreamcast is fanastic in the cab! God knows why I didnt do this in my last project. Anyway, I soldered the 25 way plug to the dreamcast controllers too each of the signal points and just scratched a ground point

Hacked Pad 1

At this point I had a little problem. When I soldered up the 2nd controller things started going ass ways. Didnt solder the ground properly so had to do it again. Tested it and nothing worked.........
Turns out like a prat I melted through the dreamcast cable and blew the I/O board  :angry: Turns out its cheaper to just buy another dreamcast than buy a new controller board. So......

Bought a new dreamcast to finish the job. Paid £16 got a new cast 4 controllers and a bunch of games!! Tested the controllers with a multimeter (why didnt I do this first time!) before testing them on the dreamcast all works beautifully.

Both pads ready to go

I mounted both hacked controllers into a plexiglass case that I ran up with some leftovers (I just love plexiglass) I fixed the cable with some loom rap.
I can switch between the dreamcast and ipac2 using the parrallel switch. I might have to think about popping some other systems in.

Anyway thats all for the moment. For those that are considering a dreamcast in their cabs. Do it!!!!! You wont be disappointed, Soul Caliber on arcade controls is pant wetting stuff!

Asteroth made me wet my pants

art-ki-tech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2007, 03:16:36 pm
  • Design for Life
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2007, 09:49:19 am »
Whats up waveryder?
I like the hacks that you are doing.  :applaud:  First off I am also going to purchase the act labs gun with the vga box. one of the main problems is the color. My theme color is orange and black, However the guns come in pink and blue..I had actually planned to disassymble the gun and paint it orange. However Ive seen orange guns on the Happ website that I could perhaps do a Hack on.....Hmm? whats your advice on this?? (see my Project thread (Marksman shooting cabinet).
Second I used to own dreamcast,...I would like to say that it was one of my favorite game systems. I want to also incorporate dreamcast but why did you not just do the emulator?? Is there a benifit to actually using the console and hacking the controllers??

Great job again. You are very innovative. Keep it up  :cheers:
"Beautiful buildings are more than scientific...They are true    organisms, spiritually    conceived; works of art using    the best technology..."
- Quote by Frank Lloyd Wright

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2007, 02:09:16 pm »
I know the emulation of the dreamcast has come along way.......but its far from perfect. With the system being so ridiculously cheap and no modifications needed to run the games you gotta just hack the real thing into your cabinet. Besides confidential mission & house of the dead with a dreamcast lightgun...need I say more?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 02:27:48 pm by waveryder »

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2007, 07:49:16 pm »
Dude! Where did you get transparent buttons?  :o

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2007, 07:55:55 pm »
Don't know where his came from, but Groovy Game Gear has them and I think one or more of the folks in the BST forum have them too.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2007, 08:07:55 pm »
Are the transparent buttons that GGG sells completely transparent with no apparent hue of any color tints? Transparent like glass?

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2007, 08:14:42 pm »
I think that the "Clear" ones are.  The GGG buttons are not available w/o lights though, so they are more spendy than the others, and I think they have some built-in diffusion.

The vendors in BST that I was thinking of are Ponyboy and Divemaster127.  They both offer the buttons w/o lights in them and have a clear option also.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2007, 08:16:34 pm »
Cool. Although I don't think Ponyboy does business anymore. At least I'm still waiting for a reply from him. It is now... what, like the 5th month since I've been waiting for this email response.  :'(

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2007, 05:03:04 am »
I got my translucent buttons from gremlinsolutions. They have loads in stock. I was told that they are made from the happs mold. Just a shame that I cant get the Balltops on my sanwa sticks to light up :(

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2007, 12:42:57 pm »
I'm using translucent buttons from www.ultimarc.com.  They have colored and clear ones.  In the front is a thin light diffuser that is removable to hold an icon printed on paper or mylar.

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2007, 01:24:31 pm »
Yuck! not a fan of new shaped buttons. Why use a diffuser just get decent wideangle LED's?

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" Wifes away time to play (Updated 23/10/07)
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2007, 08:39:38 am »
So the wifes gone away for a couple a days to see her family and im all alone  :applaud:
what to do, what to do. I could watch a few dodgy movies  >:D go see a dance show involving slippery poles  >:D
Yeah right! instead I opted to get the dremel and the soldering iron out..........

I changed my dreamcast gamepad hack and resoldered the directional keys to the analogue HED's (little advice for anyone doing this solder under the 4!!!!) This changed the gameplay entirely and allowed me to play lots of other dreamcast games. Playing Jet Set Radio on the cab is a beautiful thing. Havent really noticed a lot of difference using the always on analogue controls.

I decided to make some changes to look of the cabinet dreamcast. One of my dreamcasts is still in perfect condition and is part of my "retro collection". The one in my betty cab was bought to be bolted into the cab so............

......as the wifes away and I can solder all the live long day!

I cut out a window either side of the dreamcast lid and covered the open hole in some scrap perspex (I just love perspex) I replaced the orange LED with a blue one, put in a fan light and put in a night light using 2 leds under the lid (So I can change discs in the dark). The sides of the perspex window are sealed with hot glue. Apart from its adhesive properties, hot glue diffuses the led's fantastically! Im gonna use this technique for something else real soon ;)

I masked the lid and sprayed the lid and port covers pink to match betty. Time for some more soul caliber :)

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2007, 09:34:33 am »
This is some totally unbelievable work. I barely make it through each project before I get tempted to cut corners, let alone change direction at the 11th hour and re-do it all over!

Your skills with the paintwork, plastic/perspex etc is amazing. Every day I find a new reason on these forums to feel inadequate :D

An idea for the printer if you haven't already disposed of it: Hack some software it to give players an option to print the highscore table of the game that you're in, with a dedicated 'print highscores' button next to the printer output. Now THAT would be original, and a good use of the basic B&W printer.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2007, 09:39:47 am »
That's a sick mod.  Very nice work!!   :cheers:

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" Artwork has begun *gulp (Updated 30/11/07)
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2007, 11:48:21 am »
As my joystick shafts are off being drilled I cant play with betty so I thought id make a start on the artwork. Looking for a bit of feedback on the first piece of artwork for my cab:

All criticism welcome!
I am trying to stick to the pink and blue theme of my cab. The cab is both a touchscreen jukebox and arcade machine and I am trying to reflect that in the artwork.  This is a completely different style of art compared to the Pocket fighter stuff I did on my Neverland cab. My plan is to print the marquee on a large transparency and block in the main logo and character with zinc white acrylic paint. I have a sound reactive neon behind the marquee and an ivory plastic base that acts as a diffuser this should allow the lighter colours to shine with the music.

Big thanks to all who helped me locate the font :cheers: