Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Ipac2 or Keywiz

Ipac2 - Easy to get in the UK
60 (75%)
Keywiz - HM Revenue and customs will screw me
15 (18.8%)
Keyboard Hack - Go old school
5 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: "Bubble Gum Betty" Projects End!! (Updated 10/03/08)  (Read 53000 times)

nexus6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 10:01:38 am
    • LowRez Retroshirts
Re: "Bubble Gum Betty" Projects End!! (Updated 10/03/08)
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2008, 05:19:38 am »
that cab rocks!!!

and its not a black and blue box with "mame" on the marquee :)

ace3093

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2012, 03:29:12 am
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2008, 03:18:13 pm »
That is one of th sweetest cabinet I have seen. Great job.  :notworthy:

sealslayer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2014, 04:41:30 pm
  • Why screw when you can bolt
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2008, 03:18:52 pm »
Could you tell me what company you used to print up your artwork? I'm in the UK too and I'm having trouble finding one.

Cheers mate :cheers:

BadMojo12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2015, 04:01:47 am
  • I walk the cursed earth
« Reply #163 on: November 08, 2008, 04:11:21 pm »
Waverder:  Would you ever consider selling a completed DC box; if so, what would you need and how much to build?  Your cab is completely awesome and you have inspired me to use Plexi in my project; what thickness do you recommend for building box structures and what do you use to cut?

Ryan
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.  --Rodney Dangerfield

waveryder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2008, 04:52:08 am »
Waverder:  Would you ever consider selling a completed DC box; if so, what would you need and how much to build? 

Not really my thing. Just a one off for "Bubblegum Betty" But I'll help with any advice and feedback if I can. HarumaN could easily knock up the controller side of the box for you. He wires to screw terminals which is great if your not to happy with a soldering iron. The dreambox isn't a hard thing to produce, however I created a box around my own cabinet system, Vga switching system etc. I dont know how much use it would be for you directly. To be honest the most expensive bit was the project box to contain the parts. The controllers and vga  box were a pound each from gamestation. (never on display, ask for them when they are quiet and someone will eventually look out the back :)) Just took an awful lot of research and soldering. The part of the "dreambox" that I was actually really proud of was the digital/Analogue switch on the front as it allows me to play everything.

Your cab is completely awesome and you have inspired me to use Plexi in my project; what thickness do you recommend for building box structures and what do you use to cut?

5mm plexi is quite solid for a relatively weightless structure. I would personally go for the same thickness of plexi as you would if you were using Plywood/chipboard etc. If your UK I can give you a great supplier. For cutting straight lines in thick plexi, I used a heated element made out of two nails and an old electric heater. This can double as a bender if your careful. For thinner plexi and cutting shapes use a DREMEL. These things are great for intricate work. Especially good for adding ports to your enclosures.
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2008, 06:59:58 am »
Great job waveryder!

It's a nice feeling watching Betty grow from an idea you had to the beautiful lady she is!

I think this deserves a mamey.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2008, 04:20:33 pm »
I think this deserves a mamey.

Yeah me too  :laugh2: :laugh2:
But seriously, Betty was quite an acomplishment for me. I learnt so much from it. But the best thing is that despite a toddler that loves her as much as i do; Betty still looks, and works, perfectly. The touchscreen and a few custom flash games are really making him enjoy the cab. This year im determined to get him to use the joysticks!!! A few more years streetfighter 2.  ;)

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »
I dont bother emulating the DC. It isnt much cop on my P4 so I doubt it would run to well on my Betty computer. I open the front door and pop a disc into the cast and turn a switch. Bang! instant arcade dreamcast. I know everyone likes to just emulate everything, but a dreamcast is directly VGA and arcade compatible. Combine it with the £10 price tag for a machine and you can have an original for less cost than the HD space to hold the GDI Images. A small price to pay puttin the disc in. I also mix my MP3 jukebox with my dreamcast as they both work through the same audio device. Cant beat Dead Or Alive 2's survival mode with the Prodigys firestarter egging you on  >:D

draemcast em ulator sucks anyway. id rather play the real thing. my setup is just like yours. pop a disc and turn a switch kinda deal  :cheers:

BadMojo12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2015, 04:01:47 am
  • I walk the cursed earth
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2008, 09:44:27 pm »
Hey:  Thanks for the reply.  I have been corresponding with HarumaN about some solder work and he's had some good suggestions for making my project work; I wanted to run something by you (and him) and see if you think it is a good solution.  Instead of having the two four pole switches (one for each controller) how about I have one DB25 and one DB9 switch for each controller pair.  I can get the switches for relatively cheap.  My thought is that I would run (or get HarumaN to run) one broken-out DB9 cable for the analog contacts and one for the digital, then I could then run eight of the 9 DB9 output wires into the DB25 cable that also carries the 12 button contacts.  In a nutshell, instead of one four pole for each controller I am using the one DB9 switch.  Please let me know what you think.

Ryan
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.  --Rodney Dangerfield

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2008, 11:56:13 pm »
thats a pretty sexy looking cab. I wish could take one of those home with me.

waveryder

• Offline Offline
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2008, 11:47:52 am »
Gatsu its always important to have something sexy waiting at home  >:D

BadMojo12 Using a db Switchbox will work fine. I went the pole switch option simple because it adds choice between the two controllers. My misses likes to play DOA & Soulcalibur with the digital where as I prefer the analogue. 2 seperate switches allow us to have the choice. But still both play. The pole switches are dirt cheap to get hold of, a lot cheaper than the switch boxes.  There isn't nearly enough interesting DC cab work about considering its essentially a naomi system you can get for £5. I am really interested to see what you and HarumaN come up with.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:50:16 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2008, 02:06:45 pm »
It'll be pretty slick when it's done.   ;)

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2018, 05:24:14 am »
I know I'm digging deep in the past here, but a google search found this when I was trying to find something useful for my last cabinet find.
This thread will be a great source of inspiration in my quest to renovate and improve what I have. The PC sitting in the cabinet tries to connect so some gambling site that probably hasn't been online for many years.
The worst thing however is that I have no keys, but managed to get in partly through the little power connection panel at the rear. From there I could disassemble the lock in the front door. But it will be a big PITA to get the rest of them to open.
Not sure yet if I will make a MAME cabinet out of it, or make it a dedicated Bishi Bashi setup (since I have an original board waiting).
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)