Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How 'green' are you?  (Read 18196 times)

shorthair

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How 'green' are you?
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2007, 01:33:07 pm »
A possible reason to be more green:

KIller Waves From Nowhere:

Asian Beaches Reopen After Winds Trigger Huge Waves .
DENPASAR, Indonesia - Tourist beaches in Southeast Asia reopened on Monday after giant waves triggered by intense winds thousands of kilometres away crashed ashore last week, reviving memories of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

The waves, which were 7 metres (23 feet) high in some areas late last week, struck large parts of Indonesia, the Maldives, Thailand and Western Australia. There was no official warning about the freakish waves that killed at least one person, damaged hundreds of homes and displaced thousands of people across Indonesia. Homes and fishing boats were also damaged in Thailand and the Maldives. Weather officials said the waves were the result of an accumulation of winds in one spot on the ocean, but were looking at why they were so intense....

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2007, 02:49:40 pm »

Rogue waves are nothing new.  I've had family members killed by them.  They suck, but it's not like we made them.

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2007, 03:07:05 pm »

Rogue waves are nothing new.  I've had family members killed by them.  They suck, but it's not like we made them.

yep....I'm for environmental responsibility, but blaming fluke weather events -> that have been happening since the dawn of time <- on "global warming" and our society's environmental impact is just crazy talk.

shorthair

« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2007, 05:39:11 pm »
I didn't say they were caused by that. I said they could possibly be influenced by. Of particular import is the cause of the waves.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2007, 07:03:40 pm »

Probability of fluid mechanics.  They have been happening throughout recorded history from time to time.

shorthair

« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2007, 09:25:14 pm »
The cause was wind.

Samstag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2016, 01:41:19 am
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2007, 11:10:59 pm »
Air is a fluid.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2007, 11:49:57 pm »
I didn't say they were caused by that. I said they could possibly be influenced by. Of particular import is the cause of the waves.

Patrick, assplain to him your theory of climate not being the same as weather.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

shorthair

« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2007, 12:35:39 am »
Using his words doesn't make StrongBad your friend....although, you do come across sooo sexy when you're like that. Who said anything about climate? Still, climate is only part weather. It also includes region and the flora and fauna.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2007, 05:43:53 am »

Patrick, assplain to him your theory of climate not being the same as weather.
Why would I need to do that? I think he does understand that already.

It's not like they are completely unrelated, but what I was saying is that one freak weather day doesn't imply or disprove climate change and that getting an accurate weather report 5 days ahead is something different from a climate prediction. On the other hand, when the climate changes to allow more extreme weather conditions then of course you will see weather changes accordingly.

I still wonder why no one seems to think that finite natural resources running out is a problem. Why is it always about the climate change? Even for the most egotistical it should be obvious that decreasing oil reserves and decreasing oil production will hurt them even on a reasonably short term already (actually it does now already).
This signature is intentionally left blank

shorthair

« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2007, 04:06:12 pm »
Oil isn't in short supply. It's just harder to get at than before. There's so much oil in the marshlands of....Alaska, or Ireland, or somewhere, I forget where...that we needn't worry for a century or two. And though the techniques needed aren't in practice, they actually wouldn't be that expensive, economically. But ecologically, they'd be horrendous. Basically like strip-mining.

It's not a matter of resources. It's a matter of paradigm. There are numerous, bonafide examples of things that are more efficient and not very, sometimes even less, expensive than our current way of things, without sacrificing lifestyle (though 'more, more' is not in balance). These things have been stifled. Then imagine that even one of the 'unreal' things, say Tesla coils and that stuff, is actually possible. Totally changes things.

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2007, 07:26:53 pm »
Oil isn't in short supply. It's just harder to get at than before. There's so much oil in the marshlands of....Alaska, or Ireland, or somewhere, I forget where...that we needn't worry for a century or two. And though the techniques needed aren't in practice, they actually wouldn't be that expensive, economically. But ecologically, they'd be horrendous. Basically like strip-mining.

Canada.
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2007, 11:22:49 pm »

I still wonder why no one seems to think that finite natural resources running out is a problem. Why is it always about the climate change?

It is about the climate change because the "solutions" directly involve these finite natural resources.

I thought you said you were a thinker?

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2007, 12:37:03 am »

Canada.

So does that mean in a decade or two we can expect to see canadians wearing turbans with Maple Leaf's on them?

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2007, 04:24:57 am »
Oil isn't in short supply. It's just harder to get at than before.
Ehm isn't that amounting to the same thing? Oil is running out and the few remains are harder to get out of the ground. It will run out one day (if we keep using the stuff)

I wonder if the oil price going up by a factor of 2 or 4 over the next 20 years wont have a bigger impact than maybe a degree of global warming.

I have seen several reports that at least Saudia Arabia is over its peak. For instance Peak Oil for Saudi Arabia?

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2007, 04:37:15 am »

I still wonder why no one seems to think that finite natural resources running out is a problem. Why is it always about the climate change?

It is about the climate change because the "solutions" directly involve these finite natural resources.
The discussion often goes like, "Hey it snowed here in <insert usually warm city> so the climate is not warming and thus it is ok to drive a Canyonero". My point is that there are more problems with wasting energy (or oil in this case) besides climate change.

I thought you said you were a thinker?
Yes and? Maybe you should try thinking once in a while too.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2007, 06:40:18 am »

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2007, 10:20:16 am »
 Ok, ok. I'll bite. I was fortunate enough to get an education on going green just last night...Al Gore was on Dave Letterman. I will hit on one of the highlights of the interview for you...

Dave"What types of things can a regular person do to minimize further damage to the environment?"
Al "We need to pay attention to what we do, the types of things we purchase, educate ourselves on the type of..."
Dave interrupts "Are frozen waffles ok?"
Al "Yes. As long as you don't heat them up."
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2007, 12:32:25 pm »
/Rimshot!

Or Romney!

shorthair

« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2007, 04:47:34 pm »
Ha, ya ---maternal-smurfs---, just yuck it up!

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2007, 08:57:11 pm »

The discussion often goes like, "Hey it snowed here in <insert usually warm city> so the climate is not warming and thus it is ok to drive a Canyonero". My point is that there are more problems with wasting energy (or oil in this case) besides climate change.

In this instance, the point you brought up was "why is it always about the climate change".  The response was because the solutions - meaning the solutions to climate change - directly involve these finite natural resources.

What are your "more problems" you're referring to?  You'll have to be less vague when asking a question you actually want an answer to, since the only other "more problems" I see (actually, the only other one I care about), is the cost going up.  Perhaps they need my heartless attitude to drive a pipeline directly through a caribou or to chop down a few hundred trees that house some owl that can fly somewhere else to live. 

If a few animals need to sacrifice so I can save fifty cents per gallon, well, that's something I'm willing to make happen.

Say, any chance of you explaining how using computer models to predict what the earth is going to be like in my area for the next three days is different from using computer models to predict what the earth is going to be like in my area in the next 50 years?

Seems as if you haven't realized the "climate" is the result of "weather".

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2007, 02:24:22 am »
In this instance, the point you brought up was "why is it always about the climate change".  The response was because the solutions - meaning the solutions to climate change - directly involve these finite natural resources.

What are your "more problems" you're referring to?

I said it in the post above the one you responded too, but it has to do with the relation between demand of oil and production of oil. Running out of a finite resource means there will be problems producing that resource and thus if demand doesn't go down accordingly:
I wonder if the oil price going up by a factor of 2 or 4 over the next 20 years wont have a bigger impact than maybe a degree of global warming.
I mentioned that one since even the most selfish people will realize that will be bad for their own situation, but yeah using less fuel would be better for the environment too and with less air pollution for the people as well.

Say, any chance of you explaining how using computer models to predict what the earth is going to be like in my area for the next three days is different from using computer models to predict what the earth is going to be like in my area in the next 50 years?
You really cannot see the difference? These two fields use completely different parameters and thus they use completely different computer models.

Weather predictions use atmospheric pressures (and distribution of those pressures), satellite images, radar images of rain, power of the sunsine on a certain location at a certain date. It basically predicts local wind directions, wind strength, where it will rain and by how much and what the exact (more or less) temperature will be for a certain location. All pretty detailed local information.

The climate change predictions we are discussing here look at the amount of energy being taken in by the planet (and it's atmosphere) and the amount of energy that goes back out into space. The diffrence between these two would indicate warming or cooling down. They estimate which gasses in the atmosphere are responsible for trapping heat and for each to which degree (one of those graphs I posted before). Then they predict the future amounts of these gasses in the atmosphere and estimate a global temperature for that future. This is more global and average data and completely different from what they use for weather predictions.

So at that point the two fields are just about completely unrelated. Where the relation comes back in is when weather and climate scientists together start looking at the climate change data and they estimate what the consequences of these changes will be for the local weather. They take the climate change prediction that the temperature will rise slightly, but mostly that the difference between high and low temperatures will increase (so the weather will be more volatile). For instance, they would estimate if perhaps tornado's will be more likely to occur based on their knowledge of local weather systems and the estimated temperature changes.

So there is a relation between the two fields, but a weather prediction and a climate change prediction on itself use a completely different science behind it.

Seems as if you haven't realized the "climate" is the result of "weather".
Like I said before climate is the average of weather, but alternatively you could see it as that the weather will (on average) fit in with the climate.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 03:01:24 am by patrickl »

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2007, 02:54:27 am »
It's not easy being green.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:23:15 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #223 on: May 26, 2007, 05:28:48 am »
With only 2 seats and only space for one shopping bag in the "back", the smart narrows it's market quite a lot (basically single women with no hopes/wishes of getting kids). Especially since for the same money you can buy a car twice the size.

On the other hand, in the Netherlands they use smarts for "ambulance" and "firetruck" and in Belgium for taxi's:

actually, they would be great for taxis in congested cities (",). that ambulnace looks like it is a 3 wheeler  :o
Why would it work better than a normal car in a congested city? It stil gets stuck in traffic. Or do you mean it pollutes less?

1): theres more chance of bypassing accidents

2): traffic will actually be smaller

youre right though, id hate to have to actually carry anything with me in one of those! but it would be the case that you can select what type of taxi you get. if i was late for work id definitely be ordering one of the smart taxis...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

shorthair

« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2007, 02:25:45 pm »
It's not easy being green.

Cute.

patrickl: I think drew's meaning that weather is the cause of climate. An evolutional thing. I think this is sorta true, at least before bio-chemical synthesis. Then it just runs exponentially away into an interactive amalgam.

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2007, 08:00:54 am
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2007, 09:46:03 am »
The fact that you can't reliably tell me which side of a fair die will come up from a fair roll has not somehow prevented casinos from making money on the game of Craps.  :dunno
Done. SLATFATF.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #226 on: May 27, 2007, 10:46:58 am »
But you can tell someone statistically what combined number will come up more often that others with two dice...
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2007, 11:56:30 am »
Nahhh..... Surely if you can't tell me exactly what the total will be on my fifth roll from now, how can I believe you can tell me what the average total will be over five million rolls?!?  ;)
Done. SLATFATF.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2007, 01:06:19 pm »
I'm slow today :)
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2007, 01:43:57 pm »
Nahhh..... Surely if you can't tell me exactly what the total will be on my fifth roll from now, how can I believe you can tell me what the average total will be over five million rolls?!?  ;)
I can tell you the exact probability of what could come up in five rolls, you can't tell me the exact probability of what the weather will be in 5 days.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2007, 02:05:35 pm »
I can tell you the exact probability of what could come up in five rolls, you can't tell me the exact probability of what the weather will be in 5 days.

Sure you can.  50% chance of sunny.  I should start my own religion based on this!

shorthair

« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2007, 04:35:28 pm »
  50% chance of sunny.  I should start my own religion based on this!

I thought you already had your hands in the cookie jar.

And, something cute I came across:

ecosexual n. A single, environmentally conscious person with a strong aesthetic sense. Also: eco-sexual.
—ecosexuality n.

Example Citations:
I'm not sure whether to blame it on the Stern report on climate change or Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, but being green has never been more fashionable nor annoying.

The competitiveness by some to be an eco-warrior is so out of control that it now extends to the world of dating and the birth of the ''ecosexual''.

Good looks, a sense of humour, education and high income count for zilch these days if you don't eat organic, wear organic and recycle.

To get lucky, you have to think globally and act locally in your day-to-day living.
—Anita Quigley, "Beware the tree-loving ecosexual," The Daily Telegraph, December 20, 2006

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2007, 10:27:37 pm »
Prove it. Don't forget to explain how rolling, reflection, cross-sectional drag and rotational momentum work since you have stated you can give me an exact probability.  ;D
Done. SLATFATF.

bfauska

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2007, 11:03:59 pm »
And don't forget the influence that my need for money has on the dice either.  Whether or not I can easily afford to loose the money I have on the pass line usually has a distinct effect on the outcome, if I shouldn't have bet in the first place I'm sure to loose.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2007, 01:09:16 am »
Prove it. Don't forget to explain how rolling, reflection, cross-sectional drag and rotational momentum work since you have stated you can give me an exact probability.  ;D

Sure, theres a 1 in 36 probability that any particular combination will hit.  Since the throw will always give a completely random variable to the equation which will effect all the other variables you mentioned, it becomes equally likely that any sides of the dice will come up.

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2007, 01:39:45 am »
And don't forget the influence that my need for money has on the dice either.  Whether or not I can easily afford to loose the money I have on the pass line usually has a distinct effect on the outcome, if I shouldn't have bet in the first place I'm sure to loose.
Too true, too true. :applaud:

Sure, theres a 1 in 36 probability that any particular combination will hit.  Since the throw will always give a completely random variable to the equation which will effect all the other variables you mentioned, it becomes equally likely that any sides of the dice will come up.
Huh, that's weird. That doesn't look like a physics "proof", but I guess we just have to take your word for it.  :dunno
Done. SLATFATF.

shorthair

« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2007, 01:54:41 am »

What?

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2007, 01:57:16 am »
Huh, that's weird. That doesn't look like a physics "proof", but I guess we just have to take your word for it.  :dunno
rofl.  I'm sorry, but I have better things to do with my time then formulate scientific proof's to disprove a minor point in a thread I care little about.  The only reason I gave a serious response in this thread is because of the glaring hole in your example.  You should feel free to formulate a proof to support your theory that the climate is like craps and prove me wrong.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2007, 03:31:02 am »

What?

The above exchange is darned near hysterical :laugh2: :laugh2:

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2007, 04:13:23 am »
rofl.  I'm sorry, but I have better things to do with my time then formulate scientific proof's to disprove a minor point in a thread I care little about.  The only reason I gave a serious response in this thread is because of the glaring hole in your example.  You should feel free to formulate a proof to support your theory that the climate is like craps and prove me wrong.
Apparently not.  :laugh2:

Since most people here haven't studied Brownian motion, special relativity, aerodynamics, plastics molding, and so on, my point remains that you have assigned those probabilities via observation, not proof. Thus, it is equally valid for me to make assertions regarding the probabilities of the weather using observations too. If you found that over time the 6-side of the die was starting to wear away and thus the resulting roles were changing, would you still cling to your personal belief that the odds of every combination was 1 in 36? Or would you instead wonder what would happen if we really did roll the dice five billion times?  :dunno

Global Warming is one of those discussions where I don't particularly favour one "Church" over another (as Drew would say), but I do object to people poo-poo-ing the scientific method just because of the politics being used by various parties. I too get annoyed when people confuse actual discussion with some idiots that make tabloid movies about Bush being the Saudi Boogyman, or about a dude who wishes he was a rodeo cowboy or something (I don't know how it ends because none of us could stand to watch it all the way through).  :blah:
Done. SLATFATF.