Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How 'green' are you?  (Read 18211 times)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: How 'green' are you?
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2007, 02:01:09 pm »
Just cos someone doesn't use capitlization and punctuation doesn't mean they can't think clearly.

It does mean they cannot articulate their thoughts clearly, and thus for our purposes, they may as well be a kumquat.

shorthair

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2007, 03:43:54 pm »
Possibly. Not necessarily: my girlfriend doesn't often use capitals and instead of puncutation uses spaces, and she can be very clear at times, just depends on your sentence (or sentential, heheh) structure...although I agree a lot of polaris' posts seem haphazzard.

Still, in such cases, a lot of folks here then go on to dog their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. So what if someone doesn't use that stardard. If you (not you, but a general 'you') don't understand, ask them what they're talking about...in a neutral way. If you don't want to do that, then just ignore what they said. Similarly, another may (or may not) be expectant of you to get what they're saying, whether or not they use the convention you use, but you don't have to allow that expectation to influence you. Both conditions just make for a lot of grief.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2007, 03:48:32 pm »

Well that's my point - to you, your gf's poorly structured comments are worth the effort.  You have a personal stake.

A person with crappy structure, that you don't really care one way or another to make much effort to understand, is just going to get bypassed around here.  At least that's what I do. 

shorthair

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2007, 05:25:24 pm »
Heheheheheheheh.....no no....you're missing the point. hehehehehe......I wouldn't read her ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- if it weren't readable....actually, I'd correct her, and people, especially females, don't want to be corrected on such things. I know from running them off with it. Her sentences are clearly compose. They just lack those two elements. Whereas polaris' posts appear a little rushed or/and scattered at times. It might be all that fruit he's eating and lack of protein. (Only half humorous, on that.)

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2007, 05:52:11 pm »
drew
i am starting to feel that being Welsh is causing a language barrier here, and thats not an attempt at being patronizing, when i meet a seppo face to face i tend to change the way i speak( hell people in london ,150 miles away look at me like i'm from mars), but maybe im too informal in my written conversation.

but to defend myself one last time, possibly with reference to the previous statement, i dont believe ive disagreed with the points  2 + 3 you've made at any time, with reference to point 1, ive been trying to make the point that there is bacteria at source which i agree irradiation will kill, if irradiation occurs and e coli poisoning still occurs from a foodstuff it would be almost 100% guarunteed that human interference would have to be the cause.people have assumed from what ive said that im against irradiating food. which i kinda am, but ironically this is the first time ive stated it.

do i get a tick for the irony? maybe even a gold star , please miss can i have a gold star :cheers:

polaris: 100g of protein a day. From the sources I've seen, less than a gram of protein per pound of muscle is for those who aren't very active, particularly in strength and muscle-building exercises. Are you 75 kilos and not very active? And on fruit, again: what about fruit in your knowledge and experience is crucial to nutrition? (Lastly, don't let the crowd get at ya.)
i am about 75 kilos , my friend described my physique once as 5 ft 11 and built like a fighting kitten. there would be reasonable debate amongst those who know me that im not very active , but i do have a very physical job.
obviously im quoting british dietary ref values here but i cant imagine they differ greatly.
the value is .75 to 1.5g of protein per kilo of bodyweight per day
its carbohydrates that you need lots of if your active, the protein is to repair your body so to speak, admittedly body building for example involves heavy abuse to the muscles but i would still say then, that being within the limits i gave would be fine. regarding fruit , crucial is the wrong word to use for me there, particular nutrients are crucial ,various foods can provide those nutrients, i would recommend fruit as it has many nutrients in it but if you feel sure you eat enough vegetables to not need any fruit ,cool.

got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2007, 06:27:31 pm »
even MORE ironic given that you were a "food scientist" ;D

I've met one other person that called herself a 'food scientist'.

Her knowledge of basic scientific principles was completely lacking, and she just had a 4 year degree.  Basically she just ran test kits against samples of the food her company made, to be sure it was in spec.

No research, no real understanding of what she was doing, more or less the equivalent of the guy that checks the pH of a swimming pool twice a week.

I'd bet $3 that polaris is from the same ilk.

$3 , you must be very confident in your claims.
who else apart from this girl have you met then, cos i never claimed to be a food scientist, a microbiologist i stated and that i went on to dietetics which in british medicine is referred to as a CPSM cert. prof. supplementary to medicine, its an incredibly well respected medical position but you may not have an equivalent in the us. for example a burns patient is more likely to be treated by a dietitian than a doctor.
mate im bored of this, you challenge my credentials , i prove them , you accuse me of boasting, its dull.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2007, 07:11:22 pm »
i am about 75 kilos , my friend described my physique once as 5 ft 11 and built like a fighting kitten. there would be reasonable debate amongst those who know me that im not very active , but i do have a very physical job.

Which of your jobs is very physical?  Chief microbiologist, or being published???  Or maybe typing without using the shift key and proper puncuation?  :blah:

Methinks this guy is so full of ---Cleveland steamer--- his eyes must be turning brown.  :laugh2:

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2007, 07:16:58 pm »
haruman
the job i have now , which is a lighting designer which generally involves putting the lights in the place the design indicates, some of them are big and heavy lights, and the job often involves up to 35 hr shifts which places a large physical demand on your body.
---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?---
as we say in wales

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2007, 09:42:40 pm »

drew
i am starting to feel that being Welsh is causing a language barrier here, and thats not an attempt at being patronizing, when i meet a seppo face to face i tend to change the way i speak( hell people in london ,150 miles away look at me like i'm from mars), but maybe im too informal in my written conversation.

Fear not.  You're far more pleasing to read than Tranqhair ;D

but to defend myself one last time

You don't have to defend yourself to me.  Seriously.  This thread is simply fun nonsense to me.  I aced a food safety course I took for monetary gain while working at a restaurant.  I know a bit more than the average joe about food safety, but it still doesn't make me invest any more of myself into this thread than I already have (which is just to poke fun and hopefully make some folks laugh). 

If you notice, I simply replied as I read through this thread.  Other than talking to kumquat's, there hasn't been a whole lot of "meat" to this discussion and a basic agreement amongst many (if not all) that turds are like Hawaii to e coli. 

I think I just called myself Hawaii :dunno
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2008, 11:32:31 pm
  • Bah Bah Bah
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2007, 09:55:39 pm »
Why be formal at all...it's a forum not an english class. I'm sure people can understand what you write or they wouldn't respond to it.
Going to Mcdonalds for a salad is like going to a crack house for vitamins.

shorthair

« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2007, 11:40:17 pm »
Ah, polaris, the difference on protein is the mass standard, which yours is more than twice as much, hence, half the protein recommended. Also, I think vegies are a better source of nutrients cos you skip the sugars. As well, due to the ascorbic acid, some people (like my aunt) can't handle fruit, or any fruit-derived vitamins. Another thing is that there are exotic plants (like those in the Amazon - and check out amazonherb.net for THE company with rights to harvest, and sustainably, in the region) that have much more than your standard nutrients. If interested in their products, PM me.

shorthair

« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2007, 12:36:46 am »
By the way - H-HAH! - here's that article on water and zero-point energy, etc.

excerpt: "In a review paper published in Materials Research Innovations in December, Roy and a team of collaborators called for a re-examination of the case against the most controversial of all claims made for water: that it has a "memory"."

Water: The quantum elixir
08 April 2006
NewScientist.com news service
Robert Matthews

IN NEW AGE circles, everyone is talking about it: the magical properties of the colourless, tasteless liquid the rest of us blithely refer to as water. Between frequent gulps of the life-giving elixir, those initiated into its secrets talk reverently of the work of Masaru Emoto, who is said to have proved that water responds to the emotions of those around it. They describe how Emoto has demonstrated that ice crystals made from water blessed by a Zen monk look so much more beautiful than those exposed to messages of hate. Many have bought his best-selling book detailing his findings, and many more have seen his claims covered in last year's New Age hit movie What the Bleep!?.

Many scientists view all this fuss about plain old H2O as standard hippy-trippy nonsense with about as much credibility as crystal therapy. Certainly Emoto's findings don't have much to do with the scientific method: they are hand-picked, ad hoc and impossible to replicate. Yet though these views are too far-out to take seriously, the findings of the latest bona fide research are equally bizarre.

It now seems that the effects of water on living organisms transcend mere chemistry: they are intimately linked to the most basic processes in the cosmos. Put bluntly, you owe your existence to quantum effects in water that make even the wackiest New Age ideas seem ho-hum.

If cornered, any scientist would have to concede that water does have some odd properties that are important for life. The fact that solid water - ice - defies convention by being less dense than its liquid state has stopped the oceans from freezing solid from the bottom up and killing all marine life. And the unusual reluctance of water to heat up has helped the oceans to iron out climatic swings, giving organisms time to adapt.

The simple chemical formula of water belies the subtleties behind its weirdness. The key to many of water's properties is not the chemical bonds between the one oxygen atom and two hydrogen atoms that make up the molecule. It is the links between hydrogen atoms in different molecules. These hydrogen bonds are at least 10 times as weak as a typical chemical bond, which means that while they can bind molecules together, they also break easily at room temperature.

A single drop of water is therefore a seething melee of order and disorder, with structures constantly forming and breaking up within it. The result is a liquid with dozens of anomalous bulk properties, from a boiling point more than 150 °C higher than that of comparable liquids to a marked reluctance to being compressed.

All the bonds affecting water molecules are ultimately caused by quantum effects, but hydrogen bonds are the result of one of the strangest quantum phenomena: so-called zero-point vibrations. A consequence of Heisenberg's famous uncertainty principle, these constant vibrations are a product of the impossibility of pinning down the total energy of a system with absolute precision at any given moment in time. Even if the universe itself froze over and its temperature plunged to absolute zero, zero-point vibrations would still be going strong, propelled by energy from empty space.

Quantum lifeline
In the case of water, these vibrations stretch the bonds between hydrogen atoms and their host oxygen atoms, enabling them to link up with neighbouring molecules more easily. The result is the highly cohesive liquid that keeps our planet alive.

Felix Franks of the University of Cambridge has a nice illustration of the vital role this quantum effect plays. Just take some water and swap the hydrogen for atoms of its heavier isotope deuterium. You end up with a liquid that is chemically identical, yet poisonous to all but the most primitive organisms. "The only difference is in the zero-point energy," says Franks.

A growing number of researchers are now investigating the consequences of this deep link between quantum effects and life. Recent advances in theoretical methods, experimental techniques and brute computing power have allowed them to study how water interacts with DNA, proteins and cells in unprecedented detail.

The results are often unexpected, and challenge simplistic assumptions about how life works. Certainly the fashionable view that the secret of life can be summed up in a catalogue of genes and the proteins they code for looks risibly simplistic. It is becoming clear that they cannot carry out even their most basic functions without direct help from molecules of the colourless, odourless curiosity that comes out of the tap. "Without water, it is all just chemistry," says Franks, "but add water and you get biology."

Some of the most impressive evidence is emerging from studies of proteins. Created from chains of amino acids linked up according to the instructions of DNA, proteins are the workhorse molecules of life. They perform a host of key functions, from fighting off invaders to catalysing reactions and building fresh cells. Their precise action depends largely on their physical shape, and water molecules have long been known to be vital in ensuring amino acids curl up in the right way. Only now are researchers discovering the mechanism.

What they are finding is an astonishingly delicate interplay of proteins and water molecules, orchestrated by those all-important hydrogen bonds. In January, Florian Garczarek and Klaus Gerwert at the department of biophysics at the Ruhr University of Bochum, Germany, reported on the role water molecules play in a protein called bacteriorhodopsin, which is found in the outer walls of primitive life forms (Nature, vol 439, p 109).

Bacteriorhodopsin undergoes a simple form of photosynthesis, using light to create a source of chemical energy. Researchers have long suspected that this process relies on the incoming light shifting protons around the molecule, creating a charge difference that acts rather like a battery. An obvious source of protons is the hydrogen nuclei of the water trapped within the protein's structure, but no one had shown how this could work.

Enter Garczarek and Gerwert. They exposed bacteriorhodopsin to infrared light, and found that the behaviour of the water molecules trapped within it was far from that of idle captives. Once struck by photons of light, the shape of the protein changed, breaking some of the hydrogen bonds between the trapped water molecules. The pair found that this triggered a chain of events in which fragments of some water molecules and clusters of others interacted to move protons through the protein.

This sophisticated process is all made possible by the quantum behaviour of the hydrogen bonds in water. "Having bonds that can easily be formed but are not too difficult to break is a big advantage," says Garczarek. The results suggest that it is no accident that chains of amino acids trap water molecules as they fold up to form a protein.

Hydrogen bonds are also turning out to have a profound role in the functioning of that other key constituent of life, DNA. As with proteins, new findings suggest it is time for a rethink of the familiar thumbnail sketch of DNA as a double helix of four chemical bases.

To perform its biological functions, DNA has to carry out various manoeuvres, twisting, turning and docking with proteins at just the right place. No problem for a metre-long stringy molecule like DNA, one might think. Yet on the far smaller scale where the real action takes place - typically a few hundred bases - DNA is pretty rigid. And then there's the mystery of how proteins meet up with just the right parts of the double helix.

Biochemists have long suspected water molecules are important: concentrations of them around DNA appear to correlate with biological activity. It turns out that water undergoes radical changes as it approaches the surface of DNA. As the molecules draw near the double helix, the seething network of hydrogen bonds within bulk water becomes disrupted, and the motion of individual molecules becomes more and more sluggish.

The latest research focuses on what happens around the "troughs" in the double helix formed by specific base pairs. It seems that water molecules linger longer and rotate more slowly around some base pairs than others. Suddenly that link between hydration levels and biological activity doesn't seem so perplexing. After all, the base pairs on DNA are the building blocks of genes, and their sequence dictates the order in which amino acids are stitched together to make proteins. If water molecules linger longer around some base pairs than others, the level of hydration will mirror the sequence of base pairs.

Monika Fuxreiter of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences Biological Research Centre in Budapest believes that this explains how proteins and DNA interact. She and her colleagues at BRC's Institute of Enzymology created a computer simulation of DNA and a protein called BamHI, which uses water molecules to cut DNA at very specific points.

They saw that adding virtual water molecules to the mix had a dramatic effect. "The water molecules report the DNA sequence to the protein while it is still some distance away," says Fuxreiter. "Then as the protein gets closer, the water molecules are ejected from the site until it binds tightly to the DNA."

According to Fuxreiter the water molecules relay messages to the protein via electrostatic forces, which reflect the varying levels of hydration on the DNA. They can even warn the approaching protein about potential problems with the DNA before it arrives. "If the DNA is distorted due to some defect it becomes more hydrated and the protein can't make proper contact," says Fuxreiter. "Instead, it moves to another site - which is very good biologically." Fuxreiter's team is now planning to test just how effective water molecules are in determining where and when proteins bind to DNA.

That there is more to water than hydrogen and oxygen is something many researchers welcome. But Rustum Roy, a materials scientist at Pennsylvania State University in University Park goes further. He thinks it is time for a radical overhaul of the scientific view of water - one which, he believes, has been dominated by chemistry for too long. "It's absurd to say that chemical composition dictates everything," he says. "Take carbon, for example - the same atoms can give you graphite or diamond." In a review paper published in Materials Research Innovations in December, Roy and a team of collaborators called for a re-examination of the case against the most controversial of all claims made for water: that it has a "memory".

The idea that water can retain some kind of imprint of compounds dissolved in it has long been cited as a possible mechanism for homeopathy, which claims to treat ailments using solutions of certain compounds. Some homeopathic remedies are so dilute they no longer contain a single molecule of the original compound - prompting many scientists to dismiss homeopathic effects as imaginary. For how can water with nothing in it act as anything other than water?

Roy believes this is too simplistic: "It is a naive, chemistry-schoolbook argument." He argues that water has proved itself capable of effects that go beyond simple chemistry, and these may imbue water with a memory. One way this may occur, he says, is through an effect known as epitaxy: using the atomic structure of one compound as a template to induce the same structure in others.

Hidden depths
Epitaxy is routinely used in the microprocessor industry to create perfect semiconductor crystals. And according to Roy, water already exhibits epitaxial effects. "The 'seeding' of clouds is the growth of crystalline ice on a substrate of silver iodide, which has the same crystal structure," he says. "No chemical transfer whatsoever occurs."

Roy and his colleagues also point to another effect they believe has been overlooked by mainstream scientists in their rush to dismiss homeopathy: the vigorous shaking of the mixtures used, a process called succussion. The team estimates that shock waves generated by the shaking can cause localised pressures inside the water to reach over 10,000 atmospheres, which may trigger fundamental changes in the properties of the water molecules.

Roy believes that by taking homeopathy seriously scientists may find out more about water's fundamental properties. "The problem is that much more research needs to be done to find the right techniques to probe the properties of water reliably," he says.

However, many scientists question the very idea of taking homeopathy seriously. The most recent review of the medical evidence found that homeopathic remedies were no better than a placebo in all but a handful of cases (Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol 11, p 813). That is likely to put the brakes on research into this aspect of water. "Rigorous experiments need to be done to provide support for all scientific claims," says theoretical chemist David Clary at the University of Oxford. "I don't think it is worth spending time on this." Chemist Martin Chaplin of London South Bank University is more sympathetic: "I think there may be something in it, but we need good experiments - and the best researchers won't go near the subject."

The latest discoveries about the role of water in living processes may change that, however. After decades of research, Franks sums up his view of the simple little molecule we call H2O in terms that will put a smile on the face of New Age hippies everywhere: "It's the magic ingredient that turns lifeless powders on laboratory shelves into living things."

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2007, 05:50:08 am »
Hippie ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.  Not real science, sorry.

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2007, 08:26:56 am »

Many scientists view all this fuss about plain old H2O as standard hippy-trippy nonsense with about as much credibility as crystal therapy. Certainly Emoto's findings don't have much to do with the scientific method: they are hand-picked, ad hoc and impossible to replicate. Yet though these views are too far-out to take seriously, the findings of the latest bona fide research are equally bizarre.

The article itself admits that it is smurf poop.
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

More Cowbell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2007, 11:02:35 am »
You lost me at "IN NEW AGE circles, ".  :blah:
I've got a fever...

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2007, 11:56:25 am »
So what if someone doesn't use that stardard. If you (not you, but a general 'you') don't understand, ask them what they're talking about...in a neutral way. If you don't want to do that, then just ignore what they said.

I'm going to agree with this thought blossom, but with a caveat...

If a certain someone is going out of his way to prove his point is the only valid one, and he uses his supposed credentials of being a "master of this" and "certified at that" with a sprinkling of "I'm published", he deserves to be called out if he cannot form complete sentences.

I typically just ignore pontification (like the random sub-conscious ramblings you often provide ;)) for the very reasons you have outlined above. However... I will not ignore a package of pontification, gift wrapped in the obvious ignorance of a poster's native language and grammar usage, if a bow of condescension is placed upon the package.

<soapbox> Preaching at us about being published while using a bastardization of basic English is just not going to fly. At least not with me. </soapbox>
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:59:23 am by nostrebor »

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2007, 12:20:34 pm »

He lost me at "By the way"

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2007, 12:42:02 pm »
I just find the whole transition from food scientist to author to light boy fascinating.

All the enjoyment of a regular boy, half the calories.

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2007, 01:29:40 pm »
I just find the whole transition from food scientist to author to light boy fascinating.

What will happen next!?? Tune in for the next episode of <booming voice>Morph-Boy!</booming voice>

shorthair

« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2007, 03:24:07 pm »
nos: that's still an ego trip. So what if they do? No reason to get in a hoot'n'anny about it. Same with my own stuff. People assume I'm making some great declaration or whatever. Even if I am, so what? That is affects them so to feel they need to 'step up to the mat' or 'set things right' or 'expose something for what it is' is just a sign that something inside them is threatened.

Buddabing: that's not the important part, nor the peak point of the article. If you read the whole thing, you might practice your reading comprehension.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2007, 03:58:21 pm »

He lost me at "By the way"

I wouldn't count myself in the "lost" camp at that point Chris.  I prefer to be counted in the "thankful I have enough energy to scroll past the nonsense".

Really, you can't consider yourself "lost" if you didn't care to begin with

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2007, 04:05:13 pm »
So what if someone doesn't use that stardard. If you (not you, but a general 'you') don't understand, ask them what they're talking about...in a neutral way. If you don't want to do that, then just ignore what they said.

I'm going to agree with this thought blossom, but with a caveat...

You disappoint me Nos.

I typically just ignore pontification (like the random sub-conscious ramblings you often provide ;))

AND THEN YOU TOTALLY GO AND REDEEM YOURSELF! :laugh2:

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2007, 05:47:05 pm »
So today I'm driving to lunch and I see this big ass truck with scrolling billboards on every side of it.  At first I'm thinking, ok, some delivery place sold some advertising space on their trucks... whatever.  But then I look more closely, and the SOLE PURPOSE OF THE TRUCK IS ADVERTISING.  I don't think it's actually transporting anything at all.  It's just someone driving a giant truck around purely to annoy people.  Now, I can dig those billboard trucks that roll up and down the strip in Vegas hawking strip clubs, but this was on a totally different level.  This probably isn't anything new, but I had never seen it around where I live, so I'm going to go ahead and be shocked and appalled.  Talk about a waste of resources...

PBJ - Here's a link if you want to get in on the action.

shorthair

« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2007, 07:05:59 pm »
Curious. You remember those floating advertisers in Blade Runner.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2007, 07:11:24 pm »
Curious. You remember those floating advertisers in Blade Runner.
or more recently in the movie Children of Men.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:04:18 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2007, 09:00:49 pm »
Bush senior wasn't all that bad.  He wasn't all that great but he didn't do anything to deserve being lumped in with his son.

i cant say i remember much of him, Reagan seemed to be a lot more in our news in his time,i couldnt really relate bush senior to anything i dont think, did he have the first go at saddam so to speak?

he was the Bush that COULD fly fighter planes...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2007, 09:48:51 pm »
Thanks for the effort guys.  I regularly spill some gas while pumping it into my f-150.  I keep the tires low pressure so they make less noise.  I have my thermostat in my house set at 68 in the summer, 78 in the winter.  I yell at my kids for leaving lights off.  I drink  a 12 pack of coke a day, and throw all the cans and bottles in the woods behind my house.  I over fertilize my lawn so it looks nice and green.  Who cares if I can walk across the pond?  I leave all 10 of my TV's on and loud so I don't have to go into a room and think.  I wash my socks seperately so they don't get lost.  I change the oil in my car every 3K miles and pour the old oil in the storm sewer.  I give the EPA helicopters flying over the river here the finger.

=J
* DrewKaree marvels at Jack's superpowers :notworthy:

you know, i thought immediately of you when i read that! so is your truck still up on bricks in the front yard? left running? good to see your tyre fire is still raging  ;D

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2007, 09:53:49 pm »

All the enjoyment of a regular boy, half the calories.

;D

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2007, 12:28:22 am »
Ah, polaris, the difference on protein is the mass standard, which yours is more than twice as much, hence, half the protein recommended. Also, I think vegies are a better source of nutrients cos you skip the sugars. As well, due to the ascorbic acid, some people (like my aunt) can't handle fruit, or any fruit-derived vitamins. Another thing is that there are exotic plants (like those in the Amazon - and check out amazonherb.net for THE company with rights to harvest, and sustainably, in the region) that have much more than your standard nutrients. If interested in their products, PM me.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21726345-5006007,00.html?from=public_rss

:dunno

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2007, 12:55:48 am »
he was the Bush that COULD fly fighter planes...

Uhh... he got shot down in the Pacific, dude.  :D

(not dissing veterans, but c'mon)

I want one of them ad trucks, but only if it gets 5mpg.

well, flying ability has nothing to do with being shot down...

i say hang the ad truck! i want something that does 1.9 mile per gallon (",)

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2007, 01:51:40 am »

<soapbox> Preaching at us about being published while using a bastardization of basic English is just not going to fly. At least not with me. </soapbox>
'preaching' , i 'stated' it once i believe, obviously its ok for you to use english incorrectly then 'preach' about others. made yourself look a bit of a ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?--- there havent you.

drew if your reading, thats all you do isnt it read the threads then rip everyone apart, it makes me laugh so im quite happy to be included, and if what im doing is seemingly so entertaining it would be mean of me to hold back the ammunition that those who desire it need, ive seen this quoted as the best thread ever. i get that being like tranq isnt a massive compliment too. ;)
 :cheers:

shorthair my bestest friend
with the risk of sounding pompous , i know what i need to know for me to be happy about my diet if you get me, im with the people in the link dannygalaga posted on the subject of dietary needs.
im a little confused about what you say about protein, are you saying you weigh twice what i do, how tall are you?

pbj,
im pleased i fascinate you so much and that you want to know all about me, in contrast im not interested in you at all.
i find it hard to believe that you've never met anyone whos changed jobs in their life.
its quite easy really to explain why i now am a lighting guy, its pays much better and working for the NHS would be a nightmare nowadays.
 last night for example, i saw electric 6 play live ( if your pro bush you wouldnt like them i would say ) a really cool glenn miller type band, some indie guys who were really good and a guy called killa kela the best beatboxer in the world without doubt, met a huge amount of really nice people , saw hundreds of gorgeous women in stunning ballgowns, held a big snake, met four women on stilts in hotpants, one of which a dutchwoman, was ---smurfing--- stunning.
all in all ,a nice night for which i also got paid.
sorry to sound like im boasting but i do love my job and you did ask.
dont feel like you need to reply

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2007, 03:04:29 am »
Well, some getting in a snit over this.  Kinda following Chad, I think everyone is selfish. It's the level from which the directive is issued that is key.

but hang it. i will! youve spurred me on!  Excellent danny!

there you go, youve made a difference! i actually bought a packet of two 11w wattsaver globes (equivalent to 60w  each incandescent). only two just to see which fixtures they will fit in. looks like i can replace 5 globes. so thats about 300w down to 55 or so with almost no effort! really though, if i just replaced my house mates light we'd half our bill!

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2007, 10:40:21 am »
pbj
you truly are a moron.
like ive said its boring that you look for an answer and criticize my honesty as boasting, youre making things up and repeatedly getting everything wrong.
for example money, i said i do this job for reasons including the money which is better, look at what you extrapolated from that. every other point you have made is just as inaccurate
what type am i mate and how the ---fudgesicle--- would you know

youre implying im stupid all the time, come show me how clever you are in the punctuation thread i posted

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2007, 12:51:18 pm »
thats not an unwritten policy is it! god you really are stupid, see its easy to be pedantic and so childish.

again you assume and get everything wrong,

i would never get married BTW, its pretty much a christian thing , i have no faith so feel no need, a piece of paper doesnt mean much to me either.

is the doll thing a gay reference , its 2007 mate , homophobia is not very clever is it. but it wouldnt surprise me that you were.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2007, 02:43:45 pm »
You know... I have this unwritten policy about arcade collectors..

If they're in their 30s, and unmarried, I usually will not deal with them.

I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know what triggered off this argument. But this comment caught my eye because it's so utterly bizarre. Seriously, WTF does a person's marital status have to do with anything? Would you care to elaborate on the rationale behind this "unwritten rule" of yours? And does it apply to all unmarried people in their 30s, or just arcade collectors?

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2007, 02:45:50 pm »
You know... I have this unwritten policy about arcade collectors..

If they're in their 30s, and unmarried, I usually will not deal with them.

I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know what triggered off this argument. But this comment caught my eye because it's so utterly bizarre. Seriously, WTF does a person's marital status have to do with anything? Would you care to elaborate on the rationale behind this "unwritten rule" of yours? And does it apply to all unmarried people in their 30s, or just arcade collectors?

i got the impression he was trying to insinuate i was gay

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2007, 03:48:58 pm »

I actually bought a packet of two 11w wattsaver globes (equivalent to 60w  each incandescent). Only two just to see which fixtures they will fit in. Looks like i can replace 5 globes. so thats about 300w down to 55 or so with almost no effort! really though, if i just replaced my house mates light we'd half our bill!

Boo-yah! Well done!
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2007, 06:19:53 pm »

i actually bought a packet of two 11w wattsaver globes (equivalent to 60w  each incandescent). only two just to see which fixtures they will fit in. looks like i can replace 5 globes. so thats about 300w down to 55 or so with almost no effort! really though, if i just replaced my house mates light we'd half our bill!

On that note, I find myself in need of suggestions on how to use an additional 245w per day.  No reason, just wondering :angel:

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2007, 06:45:57 pm »

i actually bought a packet of two 11w wattsaver globes (equivalent to 60w  each incandescent). only two just to see which fixtures they will fit in. looks like i can replace 5 globes. so thats about 300w down to 55 or so with almost no effort! really though, if i just replaced my house mates light we'd half our bill!

On that note, I find myself in need of suggestions on how to use an additional 245w per day.  No reason, just wondering :angel:

i know what youre saying drew, once youve left the lights on ,left the fridge door open a little ,tvs on standby or on 24/7, its hard to know what do do to make the extra difference after all the obvious stuff, how bout buying nonrecyclable rechargeable stuff youll never use but keep constantly on charge, just a thought that may help in your plight ;)

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2007, 07:00:32 pm »
I'm gonna be running an air conditioner in the kitchen window while the stove is open and on 450.  That's the best I could come up with so far :dunno