Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How 'green' are you?  (Read 18035 times)

shorthair

• Trade Count: (0)
How 'green' are you?
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:54:06 pm »
At least that I've seen, this has come out a little bit in thread where people talked about their electrical usage. I'm curious about it in general. How green are you?...do you think you are?

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
Re: How 'green' are you?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 07:15:15 pm »
personally im not at all which i feel bad about, but seeing theres not much i can do i try and get over it.
my job is so unfriendly to the planet its untrue.
interesting point, cant remember the guys name, but the guy who was responsible for lead in petrol felt so guilty about the damage he later found that he had cause,. he sought to invent something positive for his fellow man, he came up with a method that led to homes having fridges unkowingly producing CFC's in the process.
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

shorthair

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 01:02:30 am »
That's ironic. Well, recycling is one thing many think of, first off.

I only have enough trash to fill a regular size wal-mart bag about every two or three weeks. The rest I recycle, kept in the paper bags I get from Trader Joe's, and I might fill one a week at most. I have two large size monitors now - I thinking two cabs, of course - but wondering how I'm going to work that. I don't drive but maybe once a week or less, and otherwise ride my bike if it's less than 3-5 miles each way, if I can carry whatever in my bag, and weather permitting, which is most of the time here. For electricity, I have a single 26w flourescent bulb in each room, except for my 4 foot industrial flourescent fixture.

I only buy stuff if it's something I'm going to use, and I don't need or want a lot of extra stuff, so that keeps my spending down. I know, more spending keeps interest rates low, etc. Funny cycle, huh? 3D printing is on the way soon enough though.

And I keep my place very ordered and tidy. I count this - though when it exceeds a certain effort limit, it becomes prohibitive. This is what I mean by green. Not just recycle and use less, but less movement...I don't fidget with things, generally. Of course, when we can conjure things from imagination - and some purportedly can - things may be a bit different.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:37:57 am »

i try. for instance, my housemate is terrible for leaving her bedroom light on. any time i notice it i turn it off. frustrating though, as it feels as though i could leave it on and she wont go in her room for hours but any time i turn it off, shes back in there minutes later...

i normally switch my computer off during the day when im not home. i havent gotten around to putting in wattsaver type globes in the place but when you dont own the place its always a bit of a hassle. but hang it. i will! youve spurred me on!

it pains me that i live in a unit and cant compost. when i lived in my house with my sister we would compost all food scraps and recycle. it got that really we needed the recycle picked up weekly and the regular garbage once a fortnight or less...

i could do better with my car. people assume being an old VW it must be really fuel efficient. i dont know why they think that. i try and ride my bike on the weekends but its only into the city.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:19:44 am »
I recycle cans/bottles.

I have to drive for work, so no savings on gas.

I make up for the gas waste by saving water.  Peeing in the shower counts as saving water, right?
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 08:34:15 am »
Thanks for the effort guys.  I regularly spill some gas while pumping it into my f-150.  I keep the tires low pressure so they make less noise.  I have my thermostat in my house set at 68 in the summer, 78 in the winter.  I yell at my kids for leaving lights off.  I drink  a 12 pack of coke a day, and throw all the cans and bottles in the woods behind my house.  I over fertilize my lawn so it looks nice and green.  Who cares if I can walk across the pond?  I leave all 10 of my TV's on and loud so I don't have to go into a room and think.  I wash my socks seperately so they don't get lost.  I change the oil in my car every 3K miles and pour the old oil in the storm sewer.  I give the EPA helicopters flying over the river here the finger.

=J
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 08:41:34 am »
Our subdivision picks up newspaper and plastic, but not glass.

Surprisingly, there is more recyclable plastic than you might think. I typically throw out plastic ketchup bottles, but it turns out that those are recyclable. So are most medicine bottles.

As far as electricity goes, my power bill was for 2160 kilowatt hours last month. Everyone in my family leaves lights, televisions, and computers on. I have changed a few of the worst offernding lights to low power fluorescents. My wife does not like the color of the light they emit so I am not changing all the bulbs.

From what I understand, though, pretty soon they won't be selling incandescent bulbs in California anymore.

I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 08:50:51 am »
  I change the oil in my car every 3K miles and pour the old oil in the storm sewer.

Hippie.  I change my car every 3k miles and dump the old one in the pond.

Recycling is usually more a function of what your local recycler accepts than it is about what is recyclable.  Our town does not pick up styrofoam, for instance, despite it being coded and easily recyclable.  They will only pick up recyclables on which they can break even or turn a small profit (so they can sustain the service).  Ironically, the styrofoam needs recycling far more than the stuff they do pick up and I always feel guilty putting it in the trash.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 09:04:02 am »
  I change the oil in my car every 3K miles and pour the old oil in the storm sewer.

Hippie.  I change my car every 3k miles and dump the old one in the pond.

i actually change my oil way more regularly than is normal. twice for summer and once or twice more for the rest of the year. air cooled VW. no oil filter. hotter running. i dont of course dump the oil down the drain. it gets recycled. although when i was a teenager we didnt know better. i used to use it to kill weeds on the fence line! i imagined it was bio degrading because the weeds would grow back when really the weeds grew back because the oil had leached out of the soil and into the drains and then on to the sea...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 09:14:27 am »

I get mine changed about every 5-6k.  Civic, doesn't consume much oil, runs cool.  I don't change it myself because I'd rather pay $20 and have it done.

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 10:24:14 am »
That's ironic. Well, recycling is one thing many think of, first off.

i bought some apples the other day, which were grown in south america, if i chose to put the recyclable waste in a second bin , it doesnt stop my local authority shipping it off to landfill in china. they dont recycle it, barely anything is actually recycled even though its claimed to be. so how do i live a green life when the authorities dont manage things in that fashion
id love to think we can help prolong human life on the planet by living more greenly but its not happening and will not happen. for us to be living a sustainable life ,100% of what we consume should be 100% recyclable, i bet its not even 1% in reality.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:39:40 am »
I don't consider myself green, but I do a few "green" things. I have replaced every light bulb except for the living room with compact flourescent. For some reason, the ceiling fan in the living room won't work with CF.
We recycle cans. We refill 16oz water bottles with filtered water, which greatly cuts down on disposable plastic.
I have a programmable thermostat to save on energy.
We use Tide Cold water detergent.

Now for the bad:
I have an hour round trip commute to work.
All of my cars leak oil badly. (however, I am trading in the worst offender, the ol' tracker, today for a Ford Escape  ;D)
The wife tends to leave lights on.
I tend to leave on the computer overnight to, uh, download, uh, important stuff. ;)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 10:43:25 am »

The spiral fluorescent bulbs are cool, I did that years ago.  They produce a much better light, too, IMO.

I wish I could do more about my washing machine but we go through a lot of cycles on that thing.

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 10:51:17 am »

The spiral fluorescent bulbs are cool, I did that years ago.  They produce a much better light, too, IMO.

I wish I could do more about my washing machine but we go through a lot of cycles on that thing.
you could do it by hand

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 10:55:09 am »

That wouldn't save much if any water, I suspect.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 10:55:51 am »

Well if you had a creek or river in your back yard...

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 10:59:05 am »
I just recently bought a rechargeable, cordless, electric lawn-mower, since a conventional lawn mower pollutes as much air in one hour as 40 late model cars running simultaneously.

It's awesome. It has the power to mulch my entire lawn and I don't have to worry about fuel, spark plugs, oil, etc; and it's as quiet as a vacuum cleaner.
These machines are not quite ready for lawns bigger than mine though....yet.

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 10:59:38 am »

its more the electricity i was thinking about, the water goes back into the system, its the reliance on labour saving devices that is the issue.

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 11:02:19 am »
I just recently bought a rechargeable, cordless, electric lawn-mower, since a conventional lawn mower pollutes as much air in one hour as 40 late model cars running simultaneously.

It's awesome. It has the power to mulch my entire lawn and I don't have to worry about fuel, spark plugs, oil, etc; and it's as quiet as a vacuum cleaner.

and you think this is better for the environment

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 11:04:08 am »

How big is the lawn?

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 11:16:57 am »

These machines are not quite ready for lawns bigger than mine though....yet.

...except for the battery is a major environmental hazard once it's useful life is up. :dunno

And I think you meant 2 stroke lawn mowers polute more. I have only ever used 4 stroke engine mowers.

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
its irrelevant anyway as its not saving any pollution in the first place, the energy to power it is created somewhere, likely from fossil fuel, so its polluting the air ,just not out of the exhaust of the mower but from the exhaust of the power station.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 11:35:08 am »

I would bet it's making less... the power plants emit a far more controlled exhaust than a random two stroke lawnmower engine.

The 40 late model car figure seems a bit over the top to me but the electric mower, my intuition tells me, would be less pollutive overall.  Especially given that it is only useful on a small scale.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 11:37:14 am »

Isn't the atmosphere part of our environment?  More info on lawn mower exhaust : http://www.greengrasscutters.com/id7.html

...except for the battery is a major environmental hazard once it's useful life is up. :dunno

Batteries can be recycled, reused. So it's more an exhaust issue. There's no regulation on gas-powered lawn-mower motors...hence, they spew a lot of crap into the air.

I understand nothing is perfect. It's about balance.

How big is the lawn?

I believe it's less than a 1/4 acre.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:42:09 am by mr.Curmudgeon »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 11:38:38 am »

Does that include the space the house occupies?  I'm looking at alternatives too, though I did just spend $120 to get my mower fixed.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 11:41:39 am »
No, it's a decent sized lawn. The mower runs for about 45mins or so. I had time to go over certain areas twice (tall grass needed to be mulched several times)

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 11:45:29 am »

Isn't the atmosphere part of our environment?

my point is that you're displacing the pollution not removing it.its coming from the power station not from your back yard. the only way to truly have an effect is to use a manual lawn mower.

regarding power stations being less polluting for the energy they produce than acrappy lawnmower, is im sure true, but add to this the fact that national grids waste a collosal amount of the enegy they produce its still not at all efficient.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 11:46:08 am »
Sounds bigger than my lawn, then.  My whole lot is .27 acres, including the house, shed, driveways, brick path, and an area with no grass (pine trees).  I'll look into these mowers when my current one finally bites it.

Or maybe a hand mower, if I can find one.

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 11:47:56 am »

Or maybe a hand mower, if I can find one.
what about a goat? removes the lawnmowing altogether

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 11:49:53 am »
Lead schmead, in a hundred years we'll all be dead.
are you saying,'cos i'll be dead why should i care about what happens in a hundred years' or do you think the whole human race will be gone?

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 11:54:00 am »
After 5 years of owning it, I finally tuned up my lawn mower last weekend.  I'm surprised the poor little bugger even started.  Saved a lot of money doing it all myself, but now I have to figure out what to do with the oil.

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 11:54:33 am »
Everyone participating in this thread will be gone.

so you dont have children i take it?

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 11:54:38 am »
I'll look into these mowers when my current one finally bites it.

For the record, I bought The Homelite UT13122. Consumer Reports rated it well, and people raved about it around the web. It's pretty much exactly like the top-of-the-line $400 Black & Decker CMM1200, but it's cheaper. ($300)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2007, 11:55:58 am »
I tried 3 times to tune mine up last year, made little difference.  Finally a couple weeks ago I brought it to a hardware store and they found the timing switch and the intake gasket were both gone.  So I could have tried 3 more times and not gotten it running well.

Consumer Reports can bite me, I've used them for reference multiple times and always came out regretting it.

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2007, 11:57:43 am »
they found the timing switch and the intake gasket were both gone

I hope you catch the ---daisies--- that stole them.

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2007, 12:35:22 pm »
From what I understand, though, pretty soon they won't be selling incandescent bulbs in California anymore.

Sure, we save some energy upfront, but pay for it in increased disposal costs.

I thought mercury was bad...  Is this a valid comment, or is it a wash?
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 12:40:06 pm »
it pains me that i live in a unit and cant compost. when i lived in my house with my sister we would compost all food scraps and recycle. it got that really we needed the recycle picked up weekly and the regular garbage once a fortnight or less...

Sure you can.  Get a small container and store it under your sink.  Better yet, add a colony of red worms to it.

http://www.cityfarmer.org/wormcomp61.html

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 12:49:21 pm »

Sure you can.  Get a small container and store it under your sink.  Better yet, add a colony of red worms to it.

http://www.cityfarmer.org/wormcomp61.html

Nothing like a keeping a cesspool right in your kitchen.  :applaud:

polaris

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 12:54:03 pm »
Just remember.... you can make your life miserable and obsessed with energy conservation and recycling... and the net effect is zero.

India and China are rapidly becoming modern nations and those guys are gonna suck resources down like we taught them to.

Enjoy life, leave the lights on.

but some of us have children that we care about so we dont want to act like you

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2007, 12:55:24 pm »
Just remember.... you can make your life miserable and obsessed with energy conservation and recycling... and the net effect is zero.

India and China are rapidly becoming modern nations and those guys are gonna suck resources down like we taught them to.

Enjoy life, leave the lights on.

but some of us have children that we care about so we dont want to act like you

Didn't you get the memo? The world does in fact revolve around pinballjim. ;)